As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Hatchback car decisions, help!

The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey ya'all! I've been driving around my Scion xA for awhile now, and while I absolutely adore the gas mileage and easy handling, I'm starting to feel like it's time to upgrade to something a little more powerful. The horsepower on the xA is rather puny, so it's tough to get any sort of real acceleration on the highway, especially in defensive driving situations. Lucky for me, the resale value on this baby rounds out to around 8-9k, so that'll go a long way towards any down payment I put on a new car.

I still love the utility of a hatchback, so I've been delving into what's available out in the market. I'm not really looking to spend more than 22k on new wheels, but I'd like more punch on the highway, plus more room in the trunk.

So far, I'm favoring the Mazda 3, but the Hyundai Elantra Touring also looks appealing from a pricing standpoint. I'd really like to know about any of your experiences with either of these cars, or even other hatchback models out there - I'm not in any dire need to switch vehicles, so I'm very open to ideas.

It also looks like there's more room to negotiate for new 2011 models since the 2012 ones are coming out, but I'm not seeing much of a price difference on truecar.com, so I'm not sure how much wiggle room I really have here.

Quid wrote: »
YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
The Raging Platypus on

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    the elantra tour is nice. we looked at it while car shopping. if it had AWD we probably would have bought it

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    The base model VW Golf with a manual transmission starts around $18k. The same car with an automatic, around $19k. I have a GTI, which is the same car + higher HP engine, and I'd recommend it to anyone. I get around 30mpg higway, I can fit 600 pounds of topsoil in the back, or 15 8' 2x4's with the seats down. The seats, front and back, fit me (at 6'4, 200 pounds) with legroom to spare. At 65k miles the only maintenance I've needed so far is tires, brakes and oil changes.

:edit: I should say, I drove the hatch version of the Mazda 3 as a rental when my GTI was in the shop after some jackass hit me in a parking lot (two weeks after I purchased it...), and I didn't like the 3 at all. It just felt cheaply made, the finish inside, the engine noise, even shifting gears was sluggish. This was 3 years ago, though, so maybe it's been improved.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    I have an '11 Elantra Touring, and I'm not too impressed with the acceleration. Granted, it's an automatic, and I've driven nothing but standards (wife didn't want a standard trans). It's a bit more peppy with standard transmission, but I'd stay clear of automatic if you're looking for off the line acceleration. Other than that, it has great room and features.

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    I recently got an '07 VW Rabbit (slightly different in appearance than the Golf, but essentially the same car) and I am completely in love with it. I've seen a tonne of Golfs in my city too since I got it.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I own a 2009 Elantra Touring, which I bought this summer because I test drove the 2011s, the dealer only had "sport" models in stock, except for a used 2009 with only 7000 miles on it. So I saved a couple thousand dollars and got a car that drove identical to the 2011s.

I test drove basically every hatchback that was within my price range and wasn't a volkswagon or American, so basically my list was:

Scion xB
    Prius (just to compare)
    Honda Fit
    Kia Soul
    Nissan Versa
    Subaru Impreza
    Hyundai Elantra Touring

I was going to test drive a Toyota but I don't like what Toyota's been doing with their pedals lately. They seem to be too "squishy," as in I feel like when I drive them I need to depress the pedal pretty far before I get any "go," at which point it drives kind of softly. So I was off the Matrix.

Here's my impressions:
    Scion xB -- too big for the engine that's in there, and the size makes it drive more like a minivan. Still "toyota-y" so it felt overpriced for what was there.
    Prius -- too expensive, "toyota-y," and surprisingly didn't have much storage space despite being a hatchback. The back seat felt cramped.
    Honda Fit -- A great car with good handling and the seat configuration is awesome. Comfortable to drive. Does not accelerate well going on the expressway, though, in my opinion, which is surprising considering that it's a small car. I haven't driven a 4-cylinder that had a problem with acceleration in forever.
    Kia Soul -- Felt good, drove well, good storage space and a more upright seating configuration without being too tall. The driver's seat felt a little cramped due to that upright positioning, but I'd imagine you can get used to it. The dealer gave me a big discount in order to sell the car, so the Kia Soul ended up being by far the cheapest car in comparison. Inside felt a little cheap due to very basic plastic.
    Nissan Versa -- The hatchback model is great because there's a baseline of features includes, so you start off with a good car (unlike the normal Versa). Great pickup, lots of good options, very comfortable to drive. Some models include a continuous transmission so you don't "change gears," which makes driving the thing very, very smooth -- although a little weird the first time you notice.
    Subaru Impreza -- Peppy, good driving feel, and pretty spacious. The front seat feels somewhat cramped due to how Subaru positions all their stuff. Has AWD, some fun features, but you definitely pay for AWD since the car is more expensive (and has less space compared to most of the other hatchbacks).
    Hyundai Elantra Touring -- My car, so I'm biased. Drives normally, I find the acceleration to be fine (and I drive in NJ/NYC), TONS of space and good sight lines, a very smooth ride compared to many of the lighter hatchbacks. Gas mileage averages out to under 30mpg, though.

Cars that I haven't driven that could be up for consideration:

Hyundai Accent 2011 -- This redesign makes the 3-door Accent a 5-door, which makes it look like a Fiesta/Fit/Versa. Friend bought this, loves it, gets 40mpg. Not as much storage space as the Touring and the price isn't significantly less if you're price sensitive, but a good alternative.
    Scion xD -- Add this to the Fiesta/Fit/Versa/Accent body type. Haven't driven it, seen them around, has had some staying power and popularity. Good price, will drive like a Toyota, will feel "basic" inside and features will appeal to "young people"?
    Ford Fiesta -- Same body type again, but some people love them and others hate them. The only American hatchback worth considering.
    Volkswagon Golf/GTI-- Again, some people love VW and others hate them. I hate them because I've known lots of people who own them and end up hating them.
    Mazda 3 -- If they made the Mazda Protege 5 still, I'd seriously consider that. I think the Mazda 3 is too small for the price, and the Mazda 5 is like a small minivan. All Mazda is too expensive for me, though. Maybe you should consider used Audis and BMWs if you're considering a Mazda.

Tiny cars that are technically hatchbacks:
    Toyota Yaris
    Fiat whatever it's called
    Smart fortwo
    Minicooper
    Scion iQ

Suzuki apparently makes some cars but I have no idea where to buy them.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    I have to agree with the previous GTI recommendations. For me it was between the VW GTI and the Mazda Speed 3. The Speed 3 is not a bad car but it is very quirky. It's got about 50 hp on the GTI and will blow it out of the water at stoplights. The interior is atrocious or "fun" depending on who you talk to and you either hate it or you don't mind it. The exterior has that strange smiley face in the front. The bad thing about all that horsepower going to only the front wheels in the Speed 3 is torque steer really, really bad. It will feel like you've basically lost control of the steering wheel during enthusiastic acceleration.

The GTI is by comparison very subdued aesthetically. I love how unassuming it is. The interior can't even be compared with the Speed 3. It is much more polished on the inside and everything flows together nicely. The steering wheel on the GTI is fantastic. If you don't like the characteristic plaid design you could always upgrade to the Autobahn package and get leather. I love driving my car. Go out and test drive a GTI and a Speed 3 and see which one you like.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    EggyToast wrote:

Fiat 500 and I adore that car so much, worth taking for a test drive if you get the chance. Though if you were to put it next to a VW Golf I'd take the Golf everytime....because well the 500 is a fiat.

http://www.cars.com/fiat/500/2012/

also this is helpful:
    http://www.cars.com/go/compare/modelCompare.jsp?myids=12714,13019

iRevert on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote:
    EggyToast wrote:

Fiat 500 and I adore that car so much, worth taking for a test drive if you get the chance. Though if you were to put it next to a VW Golf I'd take the Golf everytime....because well the 500 is a fiat.

http://www.cars.com/fiat/500/2012/

also this is helpful:
    http://www.cars.com/go/compare/modelCompare.jsp?myids=12714,13019

While I love the little thing, If the OP is complaining about power in his xA, the 500 is going to disappoint him just as much.

I'd also like to throw the new Focus Hatchback in the mix. It's a pretty awesome package if you can find one.

• Options
    Thanks for all the advice so far everyone!

I'm seeing a lot of suggestions for the VW GTI. While it's definitely a great car, I would really prefer a 4 door hatchback as opposed to the 2-door models (i.e. pets and family to transport around in the near future), and unfortunately, the 4 door version puts it way out of my price range. A shame though - that's a nicely engineered car, but like Eggy Toast mentioned, I know too many people who ended up having love/hate relationships with these models.

Raif - Heh, worry not, I never even considered the Mazda 3 Speed. There was a time in my life where I would have gushed over having that much front torque to play with, but nowadays, the only time I've ever wished for that much pop is when I'm dealing with idiot BMW drivers.

Eggy - Yeah, I'm actually a bit perturbed about the price point for the Mazda 3 sports. I'm having a hard time trying to decide between the sheer enjoyment of driving a Mazda 3 and the roomier (and less expensive) practicality of a Hyundai Elantra Touring. Thanks for the tip on the Versa - I'll have to check it out.

Wmelon - I've always been so incredibly biased against American carmakers that I never thought once to give the Ford models a shot. I did have a chance to drive the Focus a few months back as a rental, and was pleasantly surprised. Very smooth ride, good power, low cabin noise, solid suspension. I never realized the Focus came in a hatchback model, so I'll have to put that one on the list too.

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the advice so far everyone!

I'm seeing a lot of suggestions for the VW GTI. While it's definitely a great car, I would really prefer a 4 door hatchback as opposed to the 2-door models (i.e. pets and family to transport around in the near future), and unfortunately, the 4 door version puts it way out of my price range. A shame though - that's a nicely engineered car, but like Eggy Toast mentioned, I know too many people who ended up having love/hate relationships with these models.

Raif - Heh, worry not, I never even considered the Mazda 3 Speed. There was a time in my life where I would have gushed over having that much front torque to play with, but nowadays, the only time I've ever wished for that much pop is when I'm dealing with idiot BMW drivers.

Eggy - Yeah, I'm actually a bit perturbed about the price point for the Mazda 3 sports. I'm having a hard time trying to decide between the sheer enjoyment of driving a Mazda 3 and the roomier (and less expensive) practicality of a Hyundai Elantra Touring. Thanks for the tip on the Versa - I'll have to check it out.

Wmelon - I've always been so incredibly biased against American carmakers that I never thought once to give the Ford models a shot. I did have a chance to drive the Focus a few months back as a rental, and was pleasantly surprised. Very smooth ride, good power, low cabin noise, solid suspension. I never realized the Focus came in a hatchback model, so I'll have to put that one on the list too.

Yeah the 2012's come in a 5 door hatch. It's a pretty nice car for the price point. Unfortunately you can only get a manual transmission in the lowest trim package, which rules out the navigation and a few other options. But there's not too terribly much to miss.

I personally just switched from a Volvo S60R to a 5 door Mazda 3. The regular model has plenty of power for a daily driver and my wallet is much happier using 87 octane gas and getting 26mpg in town rather than the 93 octane and 20mpg I was getting before. I do occasionally miss the power of the Volvo, but it's not often.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    The new focus is supposed to be awesome.
    OP - where do you live? If somewhere that gets snowy/nasty, get a subaru, they're rad (though quirky). As for used offerings, check out the Matrix/Vibe as well.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You may want to look at the Ford Fiesta. Their hatchback version is pretty swank.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    If you like the Mazda 3, but are put off by the price, check out the Ford Focus. Ford, Mazda, and Volvo share a compact platform. Engine and suspension are going to be tuned differently between models/makes, but they should drive not too dis-similarly.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    I would suggest giving the mazda 3 hatcback a spin. I own one and have had better experiences with the handling and torque than others, so you should get your own read on it.My only regret is not buying a 3 series to better deal with asshole BMW drivers, but I can't justify buying one unless I were to somehow acquire a 7-figure income.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Shuss - I live in the NY/NJ area, so the ability to get around in inclimate weather would be a plus. I just with the Outbacks weren't out of my price range.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    As a former Focus and current Impreza owner, you can't go wrong with either of those (or a Mazda 3, honestly)

I put over 100k miles on my Focus from 05-10 and other than oil changes, one set of tires and one brake job I had absolutely zero issues with it. And that was living in coastal CT with the horrible terrible winter roads, it drove beautifully.

When I moved from CT to WA I bought a used 09 Impreza and am totally in love with it, had it a year with no weirdness and it's gotten me through crazy rain traffic and the one wicked ice storm we've had in the past year.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I've had an Impreza (Sedan, although the hatchback is nearly identical albeit with the hatch instead of the trunk) for a couple years now and it's an amazing car. Very responsive, great control and Subaru has been very good to me.

Safe too, as I was in a major accident at 90 km/h in the first one I had and I walked away without a scratch (I hit an SUV that had spun out on icy roads and came across the highway to stop suddenly by hitting a guard rail).

The biggest selling point is the AWD as you can't really get an AWD vehicle for less than an Impreza and it's a quality car, but even if the AWD doesn't matter to you, you won't be disappointed in the car.

Oh, and I'm a 350lb fat dude and I fit fine in the front seat. Most spacious car I've owned.

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    I've got a '12 Focus 5-door. It's pretty great and you can get 'em for under $22k. Take one for a test drive.

• Options
    My opinion on AWD, as someone from Minnesota and who has driven around in a lot of snow, is that it's great when you need it, but if I know I would need it I figure it's safer to just not drive. If I can't get to the expressway from where I live, no one else can, and the only people on the road are those with AWD and many of them are kind of stupid because they think AWD is a magic cure for slick/snowy roads.

I've never had an accident, but my sister has had 2 accidents and totaled each car, each case due to ice. First a Ford Focus (they used to come out in hatchbacks and then took a break for a few years) and then a GTI. Now she has an Impreza and it works well for her. But she's also not the best driver, in my opinion, so the AWD works well for her driving style (jackrabbit starts & stops, slightly drifty, etc.)

For me, I've never felt that my driving would benefit from AWD (plus the hit to MPG). However, I know plenty of people who swear by it and love it, even if they live somewhere where they never drive on snow. It's definitely worth a test drive, at the very least, especially if you can get out there on a rainy day.

• Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Lots of anti-American cars for seemingly no reason here, but I'd say the new Ford Focus Hatch is considered pretty incredible by just about everyone. Reliability issues are a thing of the past there, and it is roomy, affordable, great gas mileage, and looks pretty decent to boot.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Huh? Everyone's been recommending Fords along with all the Japanese cars. Chrysler and GM honestly just don't have anything worth looking at if you're not looking for a truck or a sports car.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The AWD on my Impreza has pulled me out of skids. Sure, you can drive safely on slick conditions with any platform - I used to drive a Mustang year round. However, the one time I knew the AWD was superior than front or rear only was after a massive Blizzard in Calgary. A lot of people, including me, got stuck in it because it hit fast and hard. And I saw a lot of front wheel drive cars in the ditch (Many Lancers for some reason, and a lot of Civics, but they're everywhere anyway). Having driven a Firebird and then a Mustang for years, I knew that if I had been driving either one of those cars I would've been fucked. The Impreza didn't slip once.

I'm not sure what else to say, but now I live even further north in Yellowknife. I wouldn't give up my Impreza for any other car in it's class.

Hell, the stupidest thing I've ever done was driving during another massive snow storm. The only time I've ever experienced total white out. The snow was so heavy that there was no division between land and air, just total white. I couldn't see any streetlights, just a directionless orange glow. I was driving by sheer spatial memory for much of my trip home. It was fucking stupid to go out in that and my Impreza got me home safe.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I own a Nissan Juke. It's pretty tits and wouldn't trade it for anything else. TARBO AWD is a nice touch though gas mileage at 9.5L/100km isn't great (not bad, but not good) and is about 2.0L/100km worse than the stated mileage.

It works pretty damn well for me considering it fits 4 adult males comfortably enough for our 150km morning commute.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    The only thing I'm concerned about regarding the new Ford Focus is this double-clutch automatic thing they've got going for the tranny. I've been reading a lot of conflicting reports about it, so hopefully I'll get a chance to test drive it this weekend to see if it works for me.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I was going to come in and recommend the VW GTI as well, but it's been thoroughly covered. When I went to buy a hatchback last month, we settled on teh Nissan Versa for price reasons, but if we'd had more money we would've gotten the GTI.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote:
    The AWD on my Impreza has pulled me out of skids. Sure, you can drive safely on slick conditions with any platform - I used to drive a Mustang year round. However, the one time I knew the AWD was superior than front or rear only was after a massive Blizzard in Calgary. A lot of people, including me, got stuck in it because it hit fast and hard. And I saw a lot of front wheel drive cars in the ditch (Many Lancers for some reason, and a lot of Civics, but they're everywhere anyway). Having driven a Firebird and then a Mustang for years, I knew that if I had been driving either one of those cars I would've been fucked. The Impreza didn't slip once.

I'm not sure what else to say, but now I live even further north in Yellowknife. I wouldn't give up my Impreza for any other car in it's class.

Hell, the stupidest thing I've ever done was driving during another massive snow storm. The only time I've ever experienced total white out. The snow was so heavy that there was no division between land and air, just total white. I couldn't see any streetlights, just a directionless orange glow. I was driving by sheer spatial memory for much of my trip home. It was fucking stupid to go out in that and my Impreza got me home safe.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying that AWD is worthless, just that its worth depends on where you live and how you drive. There are more Subarus than any other car, I'm told, in Vermont and New Hampshire. My sister lives in Minnesota and they have great plowing but she definitely appreciates the AWD in her Impreza.

However, I lived in Baltimore for 9 years, which included the big snow storms in 2003, 2006(?), 2009, and 2010. The city barely plows, and in general the entire city shuts down. The only vehicles that you see out and about are those with enough vertical height to get past the snow, so basically only pickups. It sounds like Platypus lives in the same area that I do (I live in Jersey City and commute on the NJ Turnpike), and I personally don't drive through anything that warrants AWD -- at least beyond something that ESC (or whatever a manufacturer wants to call it, the Stability Control stuff) will account for anyway, like slick roads or the occasional bad spots.

If Platypus lives somewhere where he has a snowy driveway or seems to get hit with snow quickly, then yeah, he'd probably see a huge benefit to an AWD vehicle. I had a friend in Maryland who lived in Westminster, down a private road, and due to an odd quirk in meteorology, she always got about 5" more snow than anyone else and was stuck at home until she could get plowed out. She may not have benefited from AWD but certainly moreso than me, living in the city.

I just think that due to the extra cost and the drop in mileage, it's worthwhile to consider how useful AWD will be to a driver.

• Options
    I also happen to live in Jersey City and commute on the same roadways, so your point is well-taken, Eggy. :D But yes, while the past few winters have been pretty crappy in our area, if the roads conditions are dangerous enough that the city shuts down, then I likely won't even bother trying to drive through it.

I do appreciate all the suggestions regarding the Impreza wagon though - it's a really nice vehicle, but I would prefer additional mileage over AWD.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I bought my xD because of the flat-folding rear seats. It has a lot of cargo space when you need it.