As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox Live Credit Fraud? No Customer Service If We Don't Consider You a Customer

VeganVegan Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
Hi guys, I just posted a blog about my recent experience with my Xbox Live account's unauthorized access, fraudulent purchases, and Microsoft's refusal to issue a refund on the MS Points that were purchased, all because I don't happen to own an Xbox 360.

I thought that this disturbing policy might be of interest, so I'm trying to spread it out to as much of the community as possible.

This story is of concern to PC gamers who are required to have a Games for Windows Live account but don't own an Xbox.

http://www.gregalor.com/2011/09/microsoft-fraud/ (I'd post the contents right here, but it's too long, it won't fit.)

Xbox Live Account Hacked? Credit Fraud? No Customer Service If We Don’t Consider You A Customer, says Microsoft.

UPDATE: It didn't even take a day. 12 hours after posting, and just a couple hours after it hitting GamePro, I got word that the refund had been pushed through by Microsoft.

I posted the details, thanks, and FAQ based on responses: http://www.gregalor.com/2011/09/we-did-this-together/

steam_sig.png
Vegan on

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I read your article, and yes, that is pretty shitty. You are already taking steps through your credit card company to refund the money (albeit, this probably should have been the first step instead of going through Microsoft), which is great.

If you want more coverage of your problem, I would send a link and summary to Joystiq, who often seems willing to publicize customer service issues like this. Potentially, this could result in positive action on Microsoft's part.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So... there's 10,000 points on your account? It seems like a very unusual thing for a hacker to do since purchases (including MS points) are non-transferable and non-refundable. Even if they managed to procure your account from the reset, the ultimate result of all that would be you recovering your account and them subsequently being locked out of whatever they may have managed to buy on an xbox or whatever since it'd be tied to your account.

Looking at this from a rational perspective, it's just as possible for you to have accidentally purchased all those points. Claims that "somebody bought stuff under my account" is something that is well, common. Saying that there's anonymous email attached to your account, etc, etc doesn't truly prove anything because there's still the chance that you could have made this anonymous account just to back your claim. Not saying that you did, just pointing out the other side here. The end result of their investigation was that it didn't seem that fraud was the case here... so... yeah?

Being "ultimately told" that nothing can be done also doesn't really mean anything either dude. The amount of emotions that you imply the people that you spoke with had also reduces the credibility of your story. I'm sure that other people will be more sympathetic and/or jump on the "Micro$oft doesn't care" train, but it really seems like, based off the factual portions of your blog post and not the appeals to emotions... they acted proper:

- Non-refundable, non-transferable points were bought on an account.

- No fraud verifiable fraud was committed.

- No refund.

Also, why the hell would you have 42 xbox 360 games and no xbox 360 to play them on?

edit: fixed post.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    This seems like the sort of situation which would be best dealt with in this manner....

Salesperson - "I can't refund your money"
    You - "Could you transfer me to the billing department then?"

Repeat until someone will refund the money. Clearly MS should just refund you, but I'm sure speaking to enough people will eventually get you to someone who will.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    So... there's 10,000 points on your account?

Yes, it's fairly common. From what I understand, bad people hack someone's Xbox Live Account and purchase loads of points using that account's credit information. Bad person then logs on to their Xbox with the hacked account's gamertag and proceeds to purchase all the games/movies they can, tying it to their Xbox.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Microsoft customer/billing support is some of the worst in the industry.

I would call them back and just keep asking for a supervisor/manager until you get to someone who agrees to help you. Normally, I would say "be respectful/humble" but not with Microsoft. Be aggressive. At least, that's my advice.

I have my own war stories with them which I won't bother getting into.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Microsoft customer/billing support is some of the worst in the industry.

I would call them back and just keep asking for a supervisor/manager until you get to someone who agrees to help you. Normally, I would say "be respectful/humble" but not with Microsoft. Be aggressive. At least, that's my advice.

I have my own war stories with them which I won't bother getting into.

Yeah, it's just like with Comcast and whatever, all the people have a certain number of discounts or refunds they are allowed to give out each time period and you need to keep talking to people until you find someone who will help you. You'll know instantly when you are talking to them, since all the things you heard were 'rules' before will never be mentioned and the costs will be cleared in 5 seconds.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    tbloxham wrote:
    Yeah, it's just like with Comcast and whatever, all the people have a certain number of discounts or refunds they are allowed to give out each time period and you need to keep talking to people until you find someone who will help you. You'll know instantly when you are talking to them, since all the things you heard were 'rules' before will never be mentioned and the costs will be cleared in 5 seconds.
    Err...no, there's standards and incentives, but there's no hard limit on discounts. "Sorry Bill, I gave a shady refund to Jane a few seconds ago because she sounded like a hot bitch. So, even though you're valid and it'd only be a few bucks, no go."

Anyways..

10k is a lot of points on an existing gamertag with 42 X-box games associated with it from someone who doesn't claim to have an X-box.

Of course they're not going to kneejerk refund.

There needs to be more info / proof / explanation of the above first.

And then billing dispute that shit, pronto, through your credit card.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Also, for someone to add/remove an alternate email account for your password notification email address, they'd have to confirm it. This sends out a notification to all associated accounts. So they went into your primary password reset email account, confirmed this, then deleted the email from that one?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote:
    tbloxham wrote:
    Err...no, there's standards and incentives, but there's no hard limit on discounts. "Sorry Bill, I gave a shady refund to Jane a few seconds ago because she sounded like a hot bitch. So, even though you're valid and it'd only be a few bucks, no go."

Anyways..

10k is a lot of points on an existing gamertag with 42 X-box games associated with it from someone who doesn't claim to have an X-box.

Of course they're not going to kneejerk refund.

There needs to be more info / proof / explanation of the above first.

And then billing dispute that shit, pronto, through your credit card.

The 42 games aren't actually associated with his account. He's never played them. The only proof that he owns them is the little tagline on the article that says so.

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:
    So... there's 10,000 points on your account?

Yes, it's fairly common. From what I understand, bad people hack someone's Xbox Live Account and purchase loads of points using that account's credit information. Bad person then logs on to their Xbox with the hacked account's gamertag and proceeds to purchase all the games/movies they can, tying it to their Xbox.

It actually just happened to my BF last night while we were talking on the phone.

• Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    This happened to me last month, though it was 6,000 points rather than 10k. I just recently got the $80 that was stolen refunded, but it took a while. My Live account was locked down for the duration of their investigation, but they gave me two free months to compensate, so I'd agree that you should keep with it until you get someone more agreeable.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Semi-related: Do all the Xbox customer service bros all still use stupid names on the phone like "Hawk" and "Draco" and "Slash" (those are the last few I remember talking to)?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Every time I've spoken to someone in Microsoft billing support, it has been someone very obviously from Bangalore. I have no doubt that their billing department has been outsourced.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Semi-related: Do all the Xbox customer service bros all still use stupid names on the phone like "Hawk" and "Draco" and "Slash" (those are the last few I remember talking to)?

Oh my god. Seriously?

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:

Oh my god. Seriously?

"Um, may I speak with an adult please?"

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    This (and the fact that they never, ever let you remove your credit card) is why I only use pre-paid cards for XBL transactions. Bonus benefit is that never pay full retail for it either.

• Options
    Yeah it's always really bugged me that I can't have an Xbox Live account or a PSN account without having a credit card tied to it.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    DoctorArch wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Oh my god. Seriously?

"Um, may I speak with an adult please?"

Granted, this was back in the OG Xbox days, but I remember my first call to support going like this:

Bro-dude: Heyyy, thanks for calling Xbox support, this is HAWK, what can I do for ya?
    Me: uh, yeah, Hawk, my credit card was charged twice for Xbox live.
    Hawk: Man! Lame! Lemme get that fixed for you, dude!

I think he may have also invited me to his kegger that weekend at the end of the call.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Yeah it's always really bugged me that I can't have an Xbox Live account or a PSN account without having a credit card tied to it.

I'm lucky I never had any real issues with Xbox live, but when the PSN was hacked, both of the credit cards I had associated with it were used to run up thousands of dollars in charges shortly afterwards. That was really fun to deal with.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:

I'm lucky I never had any real issues with Xbox live, but when the PSN was hacked, both of the credit cards I had associated with it were used to run up thousands of dollars in charges shortly afterwards. That was really fun to deal with.

That was your fault tho. Sony CLEARLY said that CC info wasn't compromised.
    :rotate:

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Of course not. It was merely coincidence that the two credit cards I ha on file with them were both ripped off at the same time. And that one of them is never used for anything else.

Totally my fault.

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

I don't see why you're changing the subject to PSN. Fact is that Microsoft is motherfucking malicious towards the consumer with their Live service.

• Options
    CygnusZ wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

I don't see why you're changing the subject to PSN. Fact is that Microsoft is motherfucking malicious towards the consumer with their Live service.
    Uh...what? We're talking about accounts getting hacked. He's expanding the scope to INLCUDE PSN not changing the subject to it. He didn't even disagree with anything said.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Halfmex wrote:
    This happened to me last month, though it was 6,000 points rather than 10k. I just recently got the $80 that was stolen refunded, but it took a while. My Live account was locked down for the duration of their investigation, but they gave me two free months to compensate, so I'd agree that you should keep with it until you get someone more agreeable.

It happened to me in August. I got an e-mail saying I had purchased 4000 points when I hadn't even logged into my 360 for like a month. Found unauthorized purchase of Super Street Fighter IV shit too (I don't even own that game).

They are currently doing the investigation thing, which I told them about in August, and just got a call about last week to say they were going to *start* -_- So I'm fucking without my 360 for probably another month now. Glad to hear they compensated you for the Xbox Live time though.

They were pretty good about refunding everything though.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    just got a call about last week to say they were going to *start* -_- So I'm fucking without my 360 for probably another month now.

Wait. When you say this, do you mean that you're without the console, or without the Live service/account?

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Something sort of similar just happened to me - someone busted into my account and bought a bunch of stuff and (apparently) played some FIFA, which I don't own. Weird thing was, I didn't have any credit card or paypal info attached to my account - I got all my points through prepaid cards. I had about $10 worth of points left on the account, which were spent, but that was all.

The hacker ended up attaching a third-party's paypal account to my Live account and using it to buy like 5000 points, then spending all of them plus my $10 worth of points. It took a while for me to explain this to the Customer Support person.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Of course not. It was merely coincidence that the two credit cards I ha on file with them were both ripped off at the same time. And that one of them is never used for anything else.

Totally my fault.

That thread wasn't very long ago, but there were a lot of silly goose apologists telling you that "You can't be sure it was because of Sony! It's just a coincidence, that has been happening a lot lately, but still just a coincidence!"

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:

I have an xbox live account, associated to an address that is not @live.com, and has no credit card associated with it.
    Never been a problem so far...

• Options
    spool32 wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

I have an xbox live account, associated to an address that is not @live.com, and has no credit card associated with it.

So do I but I can't have it without a card on it.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote:
    This (and the fact that they never, ever let you remove your credit card) is why I only use pre-paid cards for XBL transactions. Bonus benefit is that never pay full retail for it either.

This isn't true, and hasn't been for some time. Sure, you have to have A Credit card on your account, but you can most certainly remove them.

Just saying.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I don't have a credit card on my account. Under what circumstances do you have to have one?

I'm on Silver, do you need a credit card for a Gold account?

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:

I was always lucky in that PSN wouldn't actually take my credit card. Always had to buy point cards if I wanted to buy something for my Go. So when the hacking thing happened, didn't get hit.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    holy shit those OG days of Xbox live phone support sound like a holy ground.

Pretty sure situations like this are why credit cards have the chargeback feature.
    CygnusZ wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

I've never seen this malice before. Where is it so I can partake in the sufferage?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    KalTorak wrote:
    I don't have a credit card on my account. Under what circumstances do you have to have one?

I'm on Silver, do you need a credit card for a Gold account?

Yeah, I think that's it. I called them to disable auto-renew but they said they have to have an account card on record for security. If there's some online way to get rid of it then point me at it, I'd love it.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I do not have a CC associated with my Gold account, and have never had one associated with it. I don't have credit cards, I deal only in cash, paypal, and non-bank Green Dot reloadable debit cards that xBox Live say are invalid.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

So do I but I can't have it without a card on it.

An account in general, or a gold account? Either way, that's really dumb and kind of defeats the purpose of points and time cards.

My account was recently compromised and I had fraudulent charges run up on the card associated with it. I got some of the money back already and will be getting the full amount back, but I've learned my lesson and will never, ever tie a card to my XBL account again. Assuming I get my account back. It's on lockdown after I contacted them about the charges and finding out my tag was apparently somehow lifted from my Windows Live account to a new e-mail address (or something?), but I've learned my lesson and will never, ever tie a card to my account again (assuming I get it back, they said the latest I'll find out is the end of October).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It's a total load of bull, and I don't know how they can tell you that with a straight face. During one of my CS encounters, I had a gold membership on a card that got replaced. Rather than call and cancel it, I figure I'd just let the thing run out and let the thing drop to Silver. Nope, instead it gets locked down. When I tried to put on a prepaid card, it wouldn't let me. When I called to get it all cleared up, they had to delete the credit card first, then drop the account to Silver, then I could input the prepaid code.

So you can completely have Gold accounts with no credit card attached. It's just that if you ever do, they keep a fucking deathgrip on it for no god damn reason.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    143999 wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:
    just got a call about last week to say they were going to *start* -_- So I'm fucking without my 360 for probably another month now.

Wait. When you say this, do you mean that you're without the console, or without the Live service/account?

They lock your account as part of the investigation... I could probably still play my 360 but there's not much point in doing so "offline"

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I had my live account stolen (I never got the confirmation email about the swap, but afterward got a confirmation email for that account about moving points to another account). And for 18 business days was unable to get into my live account while they conducted their investigation. So all the dlc I had I couldn't play until it got sorted.

When they unlocked it I got a recovery email and a prompt to swap passwords and was able to recover my live tag and all my dlc no issue. So far only gotten half the money refunded.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    More ridiculous than Xbox Customer Support is Windows Live ID customer support. Which I have to sign in to in order to sign into xbox.com, which was one of the recover instructions. My Live ID account is temporarily blocked. To unlock it, it says to go to Windows Live Help Center. Except to ask for help at the Help Center, you have to sign into Live ID. Which is blocked.

KalTorak on