As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] First Time to PAX East? Stuff you may want to know lies within

12345679»

• gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Another question as a newbie: will I regret not bringing my netbook (aside from not being able to play fallout 2 on the plane)? I have read that packing light is key, and I am already bringing an iphone, DSlite, and Vita. As a netbook, it only runs older games, but wonder if at some point I might want it for group DOOM, Master of Magic, or something I have just not thought of yet.

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Here is probably a dumb question: let's say there is someone (namely me) who has spent her entire life living in very public-transportation-unfriendly cities. How easy is the T to navigate assuming one has never before seen a subway except on television? I mean, we're talking the whole shebang - finding it from the airport, getting a ticket, finding the right train (which I assume isn't an issue considering there's really only one that runs from the airport, right?). I'm not so concerned about getting to the Westin considering that from a Google maps perspective, you can pretty much see the hotel from the World Trade Center station, right? Easy.

Also, which is better for someone juggling baggage - bus or train? The MBTA website's trip planner isn't giving me a rail option, but looking at the schedules, it exists. Any and all advice is welcomed, and many thanks and internet cookies in advance.

Public transportation here is really easy, but it can be confusing/intimidating to first timers. I regularly commute through the South Station subway stop and I'd say 3 out of 5 days out of the week I can find a lost tourist to give advice to.

Here's some detailed instructions to give you confidence. :)

If you happen to be flying via United or JetBlue, you'll be coming into Terminal C. Step outside from baggage claim, turn right, and walk way way down until you find the Silver Line bus stop. For other terminals, just follow the signs to the Silver Line, and don't be afraid to ask people for help.

If there is a ticket machine there, you want to navigate to Subway/Bus pass, "other amount", then type in $2.00 for a one-way fare (or $4 if you want to get your return fare purchase out of the way). If there is no ticket machine, I'm almost certain you can pay with cash as you step onto the Silver Line bus. Bring exact fare, because the driver can't make change. For the return trip I think you have to get a ticket from a machine, because if I remember right you'll be going through a turnstile. Insert the ticket with the orange arrow on the top, turnstile won't open until you pull the ticket back out.

The driver will want you to put your luggage on the rack that's midway down the bus. The robot announcer should tell you when World Trade Center is coming up. Don't forget to ooh and ahh when the bus takes a pit stop to convert from gas-powered to overhead electric cable powered.

Alternate to all the above: Yell something video game related when you're at baggage claim and then follow whatever stranger seemed to understand what you were referencing. :)

Oh my, thank you!. My inner obsessive-compulsive also thanks you for such detailed info (as it happens, I'm flying in on JetBlue. :D) I will indeed ooh and aah at the wonders of modern technology.

It is entirely possible that I will be so jazzed upon landing at Logan that I will hold my DSLite triumphantly aloft and proclaim, "PAX EAST-ians, UNITE!" just to see what happens.

also, when you get off at the wtc stop, you will be heading upstairs. there should be plenty of signs. when you get outside, you will pretty much walk across a bridge straight to the westin. check out the satellite view on google maps.

7B14287.png
  • rubykavalierrubykavalier pink is the new bacon Registered User regular
    peetsnack wrote: »
    Here is probably a dumb question: let's say there is someone (namely me) who has spent her entire life living in very public-transportation-unfriendly cities. How easy is the T to navigate assuming one has never before seen a subway except on television? I mean, we're talking the whole shebang - finding it from the airport, getting a ticket, finding the right train (which I assume isn't an issue considering there's really only one that runs from the airport, right?). I'm not so concerned about getting to the Westin considering that from a Google maps perspective, you can pretty much see the hotel from the World Trade Center station, right? Easy.

Also, which is better for someone juggling baggage - bus or train? The MBTA website's trip planner isn't giving me a rail option, but looking at the schedules, it exists. Any and all advice is welcomed, and many thanks and internet cookies in advance.

Public transportation here is really easy, but it can be confusing/intimidating to first timers. I regularly commute through the South Station subway stop and I'd say 3 out of 5 days out of the week I can find a lost tourist to give advice to.

Here's some detailed instructions to give you confidence. :)

If you happen to be flying via United or JetBlue, you'll be coming into Terminal C. Step outside from baggage claim, turn right, and walk way way down until you find the Silver Line bus stop. For other terminals, just follow the signs to the Silver Line, and don't be afraid to ask people for help.

If there is a ticket machine there, you want to navigate to Subway/Bus pass, "other amount", then type in $2.00 for a one-way fare (or $4 if you want to get your return fare purchase out of the way). If there is no ticket machine, I'm almost certain you can pay with cash as you step onto the Silver Line bus. Bring exact fare, because the driver can't make change. For the return trip I think you have to get a ticket from a machine, because if I remember right you'll be going through a turnstile. Insert the ticket with the orange arrow on the top, turnstile won't open until you pull the ticket back out.

The driver will want you to put your luggage on the rack that's midway down the bus. The robot announcer should tell you when World Trade Center is coming up. Don't forget to ooh and ahh when the bus takes a pit stop to convert from gas-powered to overhead electric cable powered.

Alternate to all the above: Yell something video game related when you're at baggage claim and then follow whatever stranger seemed to understand what you were referencing. :)

Oh my, thank you!. My inner obsessive-compulsive also thanks you for such detailed info (as it happens, I'm flying in on JetBlue. :D) I will indeed ooh and aah at the wonders of modern technology.

It is entirely possible that I will be so jazzed upon landing at Logan that I will hold my DSLite triumphantly aloft and proclaim, "PAX EAST-ians, UNITE!" just to see what happens.

also, when you get off at the wtc stop, you will be heading upstairs. there should be plenty of signs. when you get outside, you will pretty much walk across a bridge straight to the westin. check out the satellite view on google maps.

Interesting fact: if you look at the intersection of Summer Ave (st? idk) and World Trade Center (blvd?), on the WTC side of the road, it's clear and sunny. If you click over closer to the Westin, it's gray and overcast. :D

• DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If there is a ticket machine there, you want to navigate to Subway/Bus pass, "other amount", then type in $2.00 for a one-way fare (or $4 if you want to get your return fare purchase out of the way).
    If you (or anyone) will be using the public transit a lot you may fare better by getting an unlimited 7-day pass for $15. I believe you can also get those from the kiosks at the airport.

Durinthal on
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    gonexall wrote: »
    Another question as a newbie: will I regret not bringing my netbook (aside from not being able to play fallout 2 on the plane)? I have read that packing light is key, and I am already bringing an iphone, DSlite, and Vita. As a netbook, it only runs older games, but wonder if at some point I might want it for group DOOM, Master of Magic, or something I have just not thought of yet.
    I rarely used mine but in the hotel. My hp netbook was just enough too much weight to carry around as an asthmatic.
    But when I did use it was useful. Bioware gave out little card/coupons that were good online and only for that weekend.
    So I'd say bring it, but make sure you can carry it, or trust your roomies to leave it in the room.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    Does anyone know how accurate MBTA's trip planner is? I'm gonna be staying at my Aunt's how in Revere and I'm planing the routes I need to take to get there. I just want to make sure its accurate so I'm not end up getting stranded somewhere.

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    grayfawkes wrote: »
    Does anyone know how accurate MBTA's trip planner is? I'm gonna be staying at my Aunt's how in Revere and I'm planing the routes I need to take to get there. I just want to make sure its accurate so I'm not end up getting stranded somewhere.

Hopstop.com is better generally. MBTA's isn't bad, though.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    Kiashien wrote: »
    grayfawkes wrote: »

Hopstop.com is better generally. MBTA's isn't bad, though.

Awesome thanks! HopStop even has and android app and I can save routes, so helpful.

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • ShiosShios Poopfeast420 Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    First timer here. My girlfriend and I want to avoid cabs at all costs. Bad experiences. We're flying into Logan International Friday around 3pm and we're staying at the Seaport. Anyone have directions on what bus/train/etc. we could take? I've been reading a lot about this T thing. Is that the train?

We've never been to Boston before so this is all a bit overwhelming. I also read that for 15 bucks we can get a pass for us to take the train/bus/boat/etc. all week.

Just looking for travel advice. Thanks.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Shios wrote: »
    First timer here. My girlfriend and I want to avoid cabs at all costs. Bad experiences. We're flying into Logan International Friday around 3pm and we're staying at the Seaport. Anyone have directions on what bus/train/etc. we could take? I've been reading a lot about this T thing. Is that the train?

We've never been to Boston before so this is all a bit overwhelming. I also read that for 15 bucks we can get a pass for us to take the train/bus/boat/etc. all week.

Just looking for travel advice. Thanks.

I think any SL line bus will take you to the Seaport area. Just to be sure you can go to www.mbta.com or www.hopstop.com.

• ShiosShios Poopfeast420 Orlando, FLRegistered User regular
    So how fast does the swag go at these things? Not in a day I hope. We won't be at the convention until 4pm earliest Friday so we might not get to see the booths we want at all until Saturday.

Also, I've been to SDCC before but this is my first PAX. Do the companies usually sell show-exclusive items at PAX like they do at SDCC? I'm bringing close to $1000 with me hoping to find some really cool stuff.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    So how fast does the swag go at these things? Not in a day I hope. We won't be at the convention until 4pm earliest Friday so we might not get to see the booths we want at all until Saturday.

Also, I've been to SDCC before but this is my first PAX. Do the companies usually sell show-exclusive items at PAX like they do at SDCC? I'm bringing close to $1000 with me hoping to find some really cool stuff.

There's PA PAX-exclusive merch (usually scarfs I think?) that has historically sold out fairly quickly, but as for the other booths, no, not nearly to the extent of SDCC. Cool stuff yes, cool stuff that you can only get at PAX East, not usually.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    antherem wrote: »

There's PA PAX-exclusive merch (usually scarfs I think?) that has historically sold out fairly quickly, but as for the other booths, no, not nearly to the extent of SDCC. Cool stuff yes, cool stuff that you can only get at PAX East, not usually.

Yeah other than PA merch there's really not much in the way of exclusive "can buy only at PAX East" items. I think it's probably overkill to bring that much, but maybe you'll find some gems. SDCC is a commecial event first, PAX is an attendee event first.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    antherem wrote: »

Yeah other than PA merch there's really not much in the way of exclusive "can buy only at PAX East" items. I think it's probably overkill to bring that much, but maybe you'll find some gems. SDCC is a commecial event first, PAX is an attendee event first.

I agree, 1000 $ seems quite excessive.

To elaborate, I don't recall any exclusives, but last year you could grab Zombie Munchkin a few months prior to it's official release. If I'm correct it was the only item that fell into that category. I have not heard of similar "specials" for this year however, but you never know what the next few days will bring as far as last minute announcements.

Don't let that stop you however. If it's anything like what it was last year, I think PAX is a great place to bring some spending money. For one thing, many "internet vendors" will be there to sell there goods, which means you won't pay shipping, and in some cases the prices can either be lower or haggled. There are also game companies that will sell merch, such as it was with Behemoth where my fiancé got me a nice Orange Night statue in a case. Last year there were many vendors that were competing for the same market and I have never bought so many items for so cheap. I sometimes had to haggle though, if not walk around and see what the nearest competitor had to offer.

I've also noticed that come Sunday, some vendors will reduce the price on things they had problems selling. Not saying you should wait until then to buy anything (many items did run out), but its going to be worth a second look for sure.

Another thing that I thought was amazing; many vendors were located in the free play area. They stayed opened for as long as they could get customers and I remember a few that were still opened past midnight. It was great for those impulse buys after you discovered a great game with strangers that you want to get for yourself.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    I know some people love to go through the expo hall before it closes on Sunday because a number of vendors/displays will be quite willing to part with any leftover merch/swag so that they don't have to pack it up. I can't convince myself to avoid the final round of the Omegathon, but that's clearly a valid option.

• ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I think i spent all of $60 on swag last year... I bought the scarf and tshirt, and another t-shirt from one of the booths. I think part of it was the massive amount of free swag there is to be had [I had free shirts for Brink, Portal 2, LA Noir, Red Faction Armageddon and I think one other...and that's just shirts] and the other factor was that since I was flying, i had to be conservative with luggage space, so i couldn't really bring back anything big.

This year, i'm looking to find ways to spend less on food..

ottoman673 on
    PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • kaine23kaine23 NJRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So there is sorta like a dealer's room area within the vender space? Neat. Isn't there free swag too? Are there eateries inside the center for when hungry and the shuttles aren't running back to the hotels? Is there anything in the way of retro gaming?

kaine23 on
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    kaine23 wrote: »
    So there is sorta like a dealer's room area within the vender space? Neat. Isn't there free swag too? Are there eateries inside the center for when hungry and the shuttles aren't running back to the hotels? Is there anything in the way of retro gaming?
    There were lots of vendors spread out all over the expo hall, mostly around the edges but they were scattered within as well. They're far more concentrated in the tabletop hall, or at least they were last year.
    As far as free swag, I came home with (by my count) 8 more t-shirts than I left with, 4 posters, a bunch of stickers, an ass-ton of buttons and a few other assorted freebies.
    I know nothing about the food/shuttles really. I kinda forgot to eat the first day and the rest of the weekend was a blur.
    As far as retro, there was a retro arcade in one of the rooms on the second floor (or was it ground?) that seemed pretty neat. It was pretty crowded though so I didn't spend much time in it.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Creamsteak wrote: »
    I know some people love to go through the expo hall before it closes on Sunday because a number of vendors/displays will be quite willing to part with any leftover merch/swag so that they don't have to pack it up. I can't convince myself to avoid the final round of the Omegathon, but that's clearly a valid option.

I'm hoping that's the case this year - I'm just going Sunday with my wife & son. I'm hoping the combination of Sunday and a little kid on Easter will land us some neat stuff. Last year I spent too much on board games. Basically I hit the Geekdad lecture, took notes on recommended games, and went out and bought half of them. My duffle bag was chock full of card and board games, I actually still haven't played them all - the card game themed on being a bad doctor I haven't had a chance to break out yet.

There were definitely discounts on Sunday last year at the board game vendors, I know a few tables were 20%-40% off by the end of the show.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    There were lots of vendors spread out all over the expo hall, mostly around the edges but they were scattered within as well. They're far more concentrated in the tabletop hall, or at least they were last year.
    As far as free swag, I came home with (by my count) 8 more t-shirts than I left with, 4 posters, a bunch of stickers, an ass-ton of buttons and a few other assorted freebies.
    I know nothing about the food/shuttles really. I kinda forgot to eat the first day and the rest of the weekend was a blur.
    As far as retro, there was a retro arcade in one of the rooms on the second floor (or was it ground?) that seemed pretty neat. It was pretty crowded though so I didn't spend much time in it.

in addition to the classic arcade room (with machines trucked in from the american classic arcade museum), there is also a classic console room with a variety of old school consoles and game library. classic console will probably be a bit less crowded and more accessible than classic arcade.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    I had no idea the classic arcade games were even there! Can't wait!

Can anyone offer up tips on actually getting stuff like shirts? I've been two years now and never seem to score anything of particular awesomeness. I'm short so I miss out on anything thrown into throngs of people, but I always seem people trading shirts/posters/etc and wonder how they get the good stuff. Is it the right place/right time sort of thing, do you ask, do you follow every twitter feed known to man?

Can anyone offer up tips on actually getting stuff like shirts? I've been two years now and never seem to score anything of particular awesomeness. I'm short so I miss out on anything thrown into throngs of people, but I always seem people trading shirts/posters/etc and wonder how they get the good stuff. Is it the right place/right time sort of thing, do you ask, do you follow every twitter feed known to man?

Twitter feeds for companies giving swag can help... some is right place/right time... some had lineups for shirts... one booth you had to be part of their member club or whatever. Honestly I've always managed to get mine half through accident, and half through asking for them. I never go around specifically looking, but if I have seen other people with the items I'll just ask the booth in question when I'm there.

• arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular

Find a tall person like me to grab shirts for you when they have a shirt-tossing thing. I typically just grab shirts and hand them to short people around me as I don't really care for the sort of stuff they give away at PAX.

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Ask. Ask. Ask. If I have a t-shirt already I simply give them to the shorter people around me :) good karma

haha. as another short person, this may encourage me to just flail my arms and shout "help!" when free things are being thrown.

also, sometimes swag is given out in panels, or tickets to redeem for swag. the only free tshirt i got last year was a rage shirt because they gave out little tickets at their demo panel that you could trade in at the booth for a shirt.

7YIpfE5.png
  • dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    So apparently there are Lunch Trolleys. I did not know this. List of stops via BCEC's twitter: http://bit.ly/HPODye

• knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    i'm a first timer and haven't gotten my badge yet. i've been in touch with registration@paxsite.com, and they told me if it doesn't arrive by the time i leave then i can take a copy of my assorted proofs of purchase and get help at the "registration desk." i saw someone mention something about this at some point in this thread, but i'm far too lazy to go back and find it now. does anyone have any idea when i can go to this desk and/or where it might be located in the con?

• kaine23kaine23 NJRegistered User regular
    JayDfromMA wrote: »

Ditto!

JayDfromMA wrote: »

Ditto!

They do a great setup too. Last year they had 80's music, colored light shows, and projectors going of game footage. It was awesome - one of the highlights of the show for me.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    So apparently there are Lunch Trolleys. I did not know this. List of stops via BCEC's twitter: http://bit.ly/HPODye
    Ooh. That seems quite convenient.

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    I did pretty good just going to different booths. I ended up with 2 from LA Noire (one given to me for no reason one day and the other from actually visiting their booth, 2 from Red Faction from playing their demo 2 different days and one from Portal 2 for going to their booth. Just keep an eye out, lots of people will be getting free stuff and if you see what it's from you can get it pretty easy!

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    knight11e wrote: »
    i'm a first timer and haven't gotten my badge yet. i've been in touch with registration@paxsite.com, and they told me if it doesn't arrive by the time i leave then i can take a copy of my assorted proofs of purchase and get help at the "registration desk." i saw someone mention something about this at some point in this thread, but i'm far too lazy to go back and find it now. does anyone have any idea when i can go to this desk and/or where it might be located in the con?

Registration is in the ground floor lobby of the BCEC. I believe it's open for Will Call on Thursday, and then throughout the weekend.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

Khadour wrote: »

Registration is in the ground floor lobby of the BCEC. I believe it's open for Will Call on Thursday, and then throughout the weekend.

That's Level 1 for those keeping score. There's a Level 0 which is the Expo Level.

thanks for the help, Khadour & zerzhul. i was hoping i would be able to sort this mess out on thursday instead of Friday morning

thanks for the help, Khadour & zerzhul. i was hoping i would be able to sort this mess out on thursday instead of Friday morning

i believe official pax twitter mentioned the thursday hours for will call are 12pm-5pm.

7YIpfE5.png
    tvethiopia wrote: »

i believe official pax twitter mentioned the thursday hours for will call are 12pm-5pm.

awesome, my flight should arrive in time then. thanks