As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions about hospital bill

MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Had a kidney stone earlier this month, and finally got the bill in this week. What's odd is that it lists three charges for an IV. Now, I was under the influence of either (A) intense pain or (B) intense pain medication, but did they bill me wrong or was there a cocktail of medicine in there? I'm thinking the latter is more likely, but I'm not sure how hospitals bill you on stuff like that. This was my first visit to the ER.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
MetroidZoid on

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    One per bag... were you awake the whole time?

Did they not switch out bags?

• Options
    Not that I remember, I'll have to ask my wife. I'm pretty sure it was just one IV.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    How long were you in? A few hours? A few days? And does it say what was in the IV? It really depends a lot on those things

• Options
    I was only in for about three hours, and the bill from my insurance for what it didn't cover just says 'IV'. There's three seperate IV charges, different prices. No details.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Call the hospital? They're the ones who will know for sure. Anything here is just conjecture.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    The last time I really looked at an itemized bill for an ER visit was for an allergic reaction my wife had. Hers also had 3 separate IV charges for a fairly short visit - one for establishing the IV, one for the saline bag, and one for the medication. Call the hospital to be sure, but it's likely broken down along those lines.

• Options
    That would make sense, thank you Ketar. And I will double check when I call up the hospital on Monday to schedule payments. Thank you, I think this thread can be closed now.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I'd just like to say do not trust a hospital to be honest, about anything, ever. Get an itemized list of charges, hospital billing is flakey as fuck, always. Especially in surgery, I've seen some crazy shit that the staff just seem to not care that the patient will end out having to pay for. I say this working in a major hospital, in surgery.

Edit: Before you schedule payments, find out if you can get your bill reduced. You nearly always should be able to if you are persistent enough. Sometimes by a great amount, too.

dispatch.o on