As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dang [YANKEE CANDLE THREAD] You Smell Goooood!

CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
You better believe it jack, This is the official Yankee Candle Thread!

Discuss your favorite candles, scents and scent lines. Personally, I like the baked goods far and above the rest. Blueberry Scone is the greatest thing since ever.

Yankee Candle also has car air fresheners now. They seem a little gawdy to me, are they worth it?

This may not be the most informative thread, but it sure will be the best smelling

CangoFett on

• Options
    SauberaSaubera Registered User new member
    I'm not a huge fan of any of the Yankee candles that are supposed to smell like food, personally; the potency of their scent seems proportionate to how long they're burned to me, and I want a candle that lasts. Among others, I really like the Fresh Linen scent, and my favorite (but, unfortunately, out of production) is Festival of Lights--you can fill your whole house with that scent in 15 minutes.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    they had a scent, or actually a collection of scents, many years back that were pipe tobacco.

including one that smelled exactly like the tobacco my grandfather smoked when I was really really little.

I didn't have money at the time, so I never got to purchase one. And they have since discontinued that line and nobody hardly remembers it.

I think my favorite scent that i can remember was the sage & citrus.

oh oh oh, and Harvest! Oh harvest how I miss smelling you!

Also, the Apple scented car freshener was simply divine.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I've gone with the reed defuser over actual candles these days. Candles are for when hurricanes hit or the power goes out for some dumb reason. Any variation on apple is usually what I like.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I've always disliked Yankee candles. Of course I'm biased because a relative owns a competing candle business. Normally I don't like candles, but I've recently discovered they're a good air freshener and last longer than glade plugins.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My mom loves these things and has been using them for years.

I don't mind at all because it means there is constantly fire. <3

• Options
    taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    I love having candles around, but something about the wicks of Yankee candles are weird. The smell when they're lit never quite matches the smell in the jar. I got one that smelled pleasantly like grass and when I lit it it smelled exactly like oatmeal.

My mom gets around this by having a little special warming plate under the candle that melts the wax and releases the scent instead of lighting the wick itself.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Yankee Candles are too expensive. Yes, they have the best range of scents, but it's not that hard to find what you're looking for in competing brands, and they'll typically cost much less.

Woodwicks is a great one. A lot of "natural" aromas to choose from, like Redwood and Fireside, and the wick is actually a piece of treated wood that burns like a candlewick but sounds like a fire.

Colonial Candles is a great bargain seller, as well. Wal-Mart also has knock-off Woodwicks for about half the price; you can get a big one for $9 or so.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    they had a scent, or actually a collection of scents, many years back that were pipe tobacco.

including one that smelled exactly like the tobacco my grandfather smoked when I was really really little.

I didn't have money at the time, so I never got to purchase one. And they have since discontinued that line and nobody hardly remembers it.

I remember those. One smelled just like my grandfather's den. I wish they still sold them...such a great scent.

I like the vanilla scented ones too...but I always am disappointed when I enter the house and I think someone is cooking cupcakes and it turns out it's just a candle.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I light a scented candle whenever I change the kitty litter.

It's not that the kitty litter smells like poop, it's that it smells like clay dust, but the smell of clay dust reminds me of poop, so I'd rather not smell it.

Scented candles can be a major source of lead and other airborne toxic compounds (PDF link). Yankee Candle has had a pretty good track record in that regard; they were one of the first candle manufacturers to stop using lead in their wicks. (Today, most candles sold in the US have lead-free wicks.)

Target sells these things, and I dunno who makes them, but goddamn do they smell good:

13683512.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Wal-mart candles smell better, last longer, and are typically cheaper.

There.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna get one of those newfangled reed diffuser things. I've been using glade plug-ins but I think it's time for a change. I just need to figure out where I'm gonna put it since flat space where things won't get knocked over is pretty tough to find at my place.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I...I let my apartment smell like whatever I cooked recently. Does this make me a bad person? It would just seem odd to walk in, and smell something that was not there.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I just rub a little bit of Icy-hot under a table and open a window if I want a smell. The stuff makes the room smell like the building is made of cinnamon.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Maple Pancakes that is the best candle, though it tends to make me jones for pancakes like whoa.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Way, way back, like 5-8 years ago, Yankee Candle had a line of "YC" candles that were supposed to be... I'm not sure what. More stylish or more manly or something. I don't recall the marketing. But I do recall that there was a blue-colored candle with a scent called, I think, "Bamboo Musk". Anybody remember them? If so, does anyone know where I can find a candle that smells similar? I loved that scent.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    I just rub a little bit of Icy-hot under a table and open a window if I want a smell. The stuff makes the room smell like the building is made of cinnamon.

?????

I'm curious now

• Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    Thread from 2 weeks ago got a Phoenix Down, awesome.

See, I'm not a big fan of competing candles as they usually are way too strong for my liking. Im looking at you wal-mart and grocery store brands!

Im curious about the icy-hot thing. I've used it under my eyelids before to stay awake during class. I.. I think you're trolling us, but im not sure.

• Options
    CangoFett wrote:

Im curious about the icy-hot thing. I've used it under my eyelids before to stay awake during class. I.. I think you're trolling us, but im not sure.

:shock:

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    they also had a winter scent, lord i can't remember, but it was like a mix between the buttercream and then they threw in some peppermint.

It smelled like.. so good.

So very very good.

But yes, Walmart's candle brand are cheaper, smell about the same, but don't have the wide variety.

Yankee Candle used to be a treat for me , just wander into the store the like few times I ever went to the mall and smell things, then pick up maybe a few votives.

Same thing with Bath & Body Works.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Yankee Candles are pretty much the only candles that don't make me want to vomit upon smelling them, unlike that God-forsaken store in the mall, Illuminations.

For that, this thread gets an A+.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    My aunt used to work for the Yankee Candle factory store. Walking anywhere near there was like having a thousand wildflowers sandblasted into your sinuses. I have always preferred using disinfectants and fresh air to scented anythings.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I like candles in the fall & winter.

Got a Harvest Wreath going right now. After Thanksgiving, I'll get a Pine - mostly because we have a fake tree in our condo, but damnit I want fake pine smell to match!

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    CangoFett wrote:
    Thread from 2 weeks ago got a Phoenix Down, awesome.

See, I'm not a big fan of competing candles as they usually are way too strong for my liking. Im looking at you wal-mart and grocery store brands!

I've only done it once, but the smell is a pretty big giveaway that the active warmth ingredient is some sort of cinnamon extract, unless I have the name of the cream wrong. The cooling element has a high likelihood of being mint or menthol, as those are cheap and common sources of compounds the body interprets as cool.

• Options
  • Options
    YankeeHorribleYankeeHorrible Registered User new member
    My girlfriend ordered online from their website 12 candles to gift a friend who was moving to a new home. The candles arrived but she was shocked when she opened the lid. The candles were in various stages of molten shapeless mass and we could not even see the wick. The candles were useless and some were even spilling out when the lid was opened, making a mess. The twelve candles are simply unusable.

And since she bought them online, its such a pain to even return-ship them. This was a disaster having spent quite a sum on these candles. She has vowed never to buy from them again. I have added some pictures of candles in a relatively less messy state.

This cannot be heat as I live in pretty cool place and have had candles shipped in worse weather conditions. Does Yankee Candle have any quality control? Do they even check before they ship masses of messy goods to customers?

Edit: After talking to their customer service, they want us ship the twelve heavy jars back. We are so frustrated, at this point, I am telling my GF to throw the entire shit out and never look back at this YANKEE company in her LIFE again.

Link to my Yelp Review and the photos:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/yankee-candle-company-south-deerfield#hrid:4f0rCdvXLEpvY8DWEswPxg