As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old Man River Raid [Geezer Gamers] (updated OP)

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    CroakerBC wrote:
    I just wanted to throw in a shout out to the ZX Spectrum, which was very popular in the UK back in the day. I take it it didn't make it so much in the US?

EDIT: I fail at image linking. Sigh. This new-fangled internets...

Oh, and one of the more depressing memories i have (in retrospect) is playing the Tie Fighter demo, on a laptop, using a trackball. It actually went surprisingly well, but...only relatively.
    I can't find my CH Flightstick, but I turned up my Sidewinder 3d Pro this morning. Why don't they *make* these games any more?

How would you use a CH Flightstick, does your laptop even have a "game port?"

I remember getting Galaxies when they released the space combat expansion because, "hey a follow up to Tie Fighter." It was a let down. Truth be told though, I don't think I could ever finish X-wing or Tie Fighter these days. Some of those missions were brutally long, and then you failed the last objective and lost an hour of progress, and went back and tried it again 4 times in a row.

I miss the vast hours of free time youth (and summer break) avails.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Well, here's my story:

First gaming I remember was around 1983 when I was about 4 with an Atari 2600. My dad had bought it for some reason (never known him to be into video games), but I ended up co-opting it as my own. Played most of the classics through either owning them or borrowing from friends. I had E.T. (was a big fan of the movie) and liked it. Even beat it a couple of times (as a pre-kindergarten kid). Never agreed with most of the hate the game got.

Got my NES around 1988 when I was 8, played the shit out of it. Also did some PC gaming around this time at a friend's house playing things like PQ1, KQ3, LSL1, and one of the early MS Flight Simulators. Also played a bit on another friend's Atari ST.

Got a SNES around 1992. Also played the shit out of it. Around this time I also discovered "modern" PC gaming through yet another friend with a computer, in the form of Wing Commander. This is when I really started leaning towards being a primarily PC gamer. It was also around this time that I did some Apple IIE gaming at school. Mostly Carmen Sandiego, Artillery, and Car Builder.

Got my first computer in either late 1993 or early 1994. It was a Packard Bell 486SX-25. It came with a 2400 baud modem and 2MB of RAM. I think it had a 101MB hard drive. I remember buying more RAM, I think 4MB, and it was $270. I also used my birthday money one year to buy a 14.4 modem as I was pretty heavy into BBSes at the time. I think it was a year later when we got a new computer, another Packard Bell, this time a 486DX2-66. Shit was on. This one also had a CD-ROM and a sound card, both my first.

I got an N64 in 1996, and played it a decent bit, but ended up selling it next year when I moved off to college.

When I graduated high school in 1997, my mom bought me computer of my own to take to college with me. This thing was a beast. We got it at Sam's Club, and I think it was over $3000 (completely insane in today's standards, but computers used to be a lot more expensive). Pentium 200MMX. A massive 64MB of RAM. Altec Lansing speakers. A webcam (one of the first). This thing lasted me several years until I finally started building computers around 2000.

Most of my PC gaming was things like the Wing Commander games, a few Ultimas, the Gold Box games, Sierra games, and others.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Aw yeah, old guys represent. Anybody else remember Micro Adventures? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_Adventure. Choose-your-own-adventure type books that included programs in Basic that you could type in to your computer (My weapon: the Commodore Vic-20) and program your own little minigames. I Looooooooved those books.

Micro_adventure_book_cover.jpg

vic20andtv.jpg

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    I fucking loved my C64, Master System, NES and AMIGA back in the day. So many games where gameplay had to take priority over flash and glitz.

Adventure and obscure platformers were my favourites, followed by scrolling beat-em ups and Sim games (Microprose and Accolade games).

Much love for the Police/Kings/Space quest series too. Elite stole a large portion of my life and so did the early Ultima games.

I feel old.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I guess if TIE Fighter counts as geezer gaming, here's something I inevitably return to:

Special_1996_11_Mechwarrior_2_Mercenaries.jpg

feb01_mw2_1.jpg

Copy of this, and Duke Nukem 3D{/i] came free with a Thrustmaster joystick my dad bought--well before 2000, so I guess it counts. What a phenomenally awesome game, probably one of my top in terms of "time spent" ever.

• PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    oh damn, MY PEOPLE! I have found you!
    from my console cabinet in the great room: The whole thing is still hooked up and dusty...but functional.
    2600.png
    2600cartridges.png The "chips" are the guts of atari 2600 cartridges. One of my friends dad's worked for atari growing up so he would bring them to us.

you have died from disentary.

and because I like you guys:
    Legend of the red dragon legacy game. now in flash.
    http://lord.lordlegacy.com/

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Any die hard Elite players from the good old days? The fun of trying to dock with the space station while a pirate is chasing after you, only to crash as you're just about to enter. I so miss that game, and wish a modern version with 3D and what not would come out. And if there is one that I have somehow missed, is it any good?

50433.png?1708759015
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Oh, and of course, how could I forget...

Little Big Adventure, and it's sequel, Twinsen's Odyssey. Probably the most famous French-made games in the United States, but really have vanished shockingly fast--there was a time that, if you had a CD-ROM, and you played games on it, you owned LBA1, that's all there was to it.

18863_full.jpg

304-little-big-adventure-2-13.jpg

[img]http://img.jeuxvideopc.com/screenshot/304-little-big-adventure-2-11.jpgp/img] Really, the sequel still holds up very well, with full voice-acting and a surprisingly large 3D world.[/img]

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote:
    At some point in the early 80s, someone brought an Atari 2600 over for the night. I was probably 5 or 6 years old at the time, but I remember playing Combat a lot that night. I didn't get one until 1984, and its purpose was to soften the blow of the news that we were moving across the country. And thus began my true journey into gaming.

Also, in the late 80s, we finally got a computer. It wasn't a PC, though! It was one of these:

Apple_Mac+_System_1.jpg

Underneath it sat a massive external hard drive. Capacity: 60 megabytes!

I loved this thing, especially compared to my friends' PCs. Sure, it was only black and white, but the sound was so much better than anything my friends had. My favorite games on the Mac were Dark Castle and Beyond Dark Castle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISP9su7okHo

My god, this brings back memories. Used to die a lot in that game as a kid, pretty sure we never managed to actually finish it. There was some other game where you played something that kinda looked like an angel, and just had to jump around on a single screen to live as long as possible while it became harder and harder to find somewhere to stand safely. I'll be damned if I remember any names, I was like 6-7 or even younger when we had these at home.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Anyone else ever play this little baby:
    11388-Battledrome.jpg
    Battledrome. First game I ever played via the "internet"; it was actually just me and my friend trying up the phone line. And the connection was so awful we couldn't even do more than fly the little remote camera probes around and ram each other.

But the game was cool as hell anyway. Hours and hours spent on putting together the right weapons and stuff. Man, those were the days. Mechwarrior 2, Mechwarrior expansion packs, Earthsiege, and just mech games in general. It was like crack for little kids... provided they had the patience to figure out how the hell to get things working and make boot disks and fix autoexec.bat a game screwed something up.

Aww, I woulda loved that game. This was my introduction to the awesomeness of mecha:
    313GR4RMGQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    The Skorpion mech is why I'm such a slut for long range support fire style gameplay these days >.<

wWuzwvJ.png
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZAQafIrNn4

And while I was looking for that I found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpneomNT6CI

It's amazing. It wasn't on the Amstrad version for some reason, probably due to it's infamously difficult sound chip.

• fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    Rescue Raiders!

Were you rescuing? Were you raiding? I was never sure.

Also:
    Atari game; jet pack and dynamite heavily featured. Name?

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Triple post. As was the fashion at the time. My very first computer had NO HARD DRIVE. Copying that floppy indeed.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    SteevL wrote:

Underneath it sat a massive external hard drive. Capacity: 60 megabytes!

No joke, in the late 80's 60 MB was titantic. My first dos machine was built in the mid 90's and had a 40MB!

• RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    Airborne Ranger on the C64 was probably the first game I was seriously into. I planned out missions in advance and was really hardcore about it. :D

airborne%20ranger%20%28title%29.png

steam_sig.png
    edited September 2011
    Nothing will ever replicate the feeling of buying Atari games in the mid to late 80's. One of my earliest memories was walking into a clearance outlet with maybe a dollar fifty in change (about a month of allowance back then!) and buying multiple brand spanking new in the box 2600 games.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    I grew up on Outlaw on the 2600. It was so fucking badass.

http://youtu.be/WZwaw2EWOg8

That shit was super hardcore. It was kind of bullshit because you could easily be stunlocked, but besides that it was awesome. I had the 2600 until the SNES came out, and god damn was that ever a jump up. I was playing Outlaw one day, and the next I was playing Super Mario World. That's my best game memory ever.

Darklands will also forever be the best RPG.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh wow, Little Big Adventure. I'm pretty sure that was the first game I bought with my own moneys instead of just pirating stuff like every little shit did back then.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Roshin wrote:
    Airborne Ranger on the C64 was probably the first game I was seriously into. I planned out missions in advance and was really hardcore about it. :D

airborne%20ranger%20%28title%29.png

Oh my. Thanks for reminding me of this...I remmeber playing it in black and white, planning missions with great intensity, and then inevitably getting killed by some hidden shooter. The solution was always to fire LAW rockets. Lots of rockets. Carried that into later games, actually...

Isn't X3 the spiritual successor to Elite, btw? Probably not the same as playing it on a C64/BBC Micro, but I hear it's OK.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    My favourite ever game that I saved up for MONTHS to buy, following the development in C64 mags (which I still own!) and couldn't wait for the release of?

Creatures 2.

And I'm not talking the swanky pants PC AI sim game, I'm talking a game featuring cute little creatures that you have to save from horrific torture, a platform puzzler. Here's some of the 'horrific' gore!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbVkewUZyjc&amp;feature=related

And the review (magazine scans!)
    http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/displaypage.pl?issue=081&page=020&thumbstart=0&magazine=zzap&check=1

Look at that price! £11.99! It took me ages to save that.

I salute all you older gents.

::edit:: I remember there was a cheat for creatures 2. You unplugged the joystick, licked your finger and rubbed it up and down... I'm sure there was actually a combination you could perform on the joystick but this actually worked.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    fshck.jpg
    I still have that bad boy on my collection. It included many of the best PC games of the early/mid 90s: Skyroads, Jill of the Jungle, Solar Winds, Epic Pinball, the Hugo series, Commander Keen and a bunch of others whose names I can't remember.

The early days of CD rom compilations were astonishing. I have some CDs with over 300 games on them, all full releases in a legitimate retail package!

Also at least a half dozen 20-200 game compilations with shareware/full

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Geezer gaming would be if you were playing before 1990. 2000? Kids. Lawn. Off.

I went from Atari 5200 -> C64 (with a tape drive before my parents got me the 1541) -> 8086 with a 10meg HD -> Pentium 90 -> Blah blah blah.

epyx.jpg

Best joystick ever?

I loved all the old EA packaging back in the day too. Remember actually reading the manuals? Tutorials? What the fuck were those? Infocom "feelies"? Nothing will ever replicate that. No pre-order bonus even comes close.
    realm_of_impossibility_ea_d7.jpgbards_tale2.jpg

Esh on
    edited September 2011
    Fuck sake, I triple posted, deleted two of them then the system automatically deleted the only post with content. ANyway, I said:

I was always a Cheetah Bug joystick kinda guy:

sinclairzx3.jpg

But despite being awesome they had a tendency to break, so I ended up using:

KonixNavigator2.jpg

Which is still plugged in to my CD32 to date. It survived the C64 years AND the Amiga years.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited September 2011
    Tripple post.

The forums are running a tad rubbish for me.

Mr_Grinch on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I had a state of the art portable gaming rig.
    sx64.jpg

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Man, I miss the days when EA wasn't a soul sucking megacorp.

50433.png?1708759015
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Since we are posting images of our early joystick setups for computer, I figured I would post a pic of the one I had.

applejoystick.jpg

Feast your eyes on the glorious Apple ][ (the brackets are an important feature of the system) joystick!

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    secret-weapons-of-the-luftwaffe-review-rate.jpg

If World of Planes is like this... all. my. dicks.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote:
    Running around a castle reminds me of Castle Wolfenstein (the 2D version).

Were you thinking of ZZT? ASCII heavy, but not sure it's what you're thinking of. It was another one that I spent hours on (and learned my basic object oriented stuff from!).

Nope, not Castle Wolfenstein. It was pure ANSI (and not ASCII like I originally thought). Wasn't ZZT either, since what I was thinking of was in black and white. But it used the same kind of ANSI characters that ZZT did. Googling for ANSI DOS games is annoying as shit too, since everything is for ANSI Dude, which is most certainly not the game I'm thinking of.

Forum ate my last attempt at this, apparently, so:

Was it Castle Adventure you were looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsy6OYMM_U0&amp;feature=related

camo_sig2.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I had a friend who had a C64. There were some great games on that thing.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I played a game on my Mac a lot called Dungeon of Doom. It was only years later that I realized it was a friggin roguelike. I knew of Rogue from playing it on a friend's PC, but somehow I never made the connection. Probably because Dungeon of Doom had actual graphics instead of ASCII.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Morrandir wrote:
    korodullin wrote:
    Running around a castle reminds me of Castle Wolfenstein (the 2D version).

Were you thinking of ZZT? ASCII heavy, but not sure it's what you're thinking of. It was another one that I spent hours on (and learned my basic object oriented stuff from!).

Nope, not Castle Wolfenstein. It was pure ANSI (and not ASCII like I originally thought). Wasn't ZZT either, since what I was thinking of was in black and white. But it used the same kind of ANSI characters that ZZT did. Googling for ANSI DOS games is annoying as shit too, since everything is for ANSI Dude, which is most certainly not the game I'm thinking of.

Forum ate my last attempt at this, apparently, so:

Was it Castle Adventure you were looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsy6OYMM_U0&amp;feature=related

YES! That's the one. Thanks a ton, I've been trying to remember the name of that for years. I played it so much as a kid, especially alongside my mother.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Let's talk about awesome games that don't really exist any more under this or any franchise! (I would be very pleased to be corrected if there are good, modern analogues.)

Robot Odyssey!

Travel the sewer-like Robotopolis inside a robot. The only way to move and interact with the environment? Program the robot! Later in the game you even learned how to imprint coding in a chip which you could then use in your ship to pack in more programming.

robot-odyssey_1_5338-440x280.gif

27469.jpg

robot-odyssey_4.gif

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    My family had an Atari console from before I was born, so I played on that until I was about 7 when my brother bought a brand new C64 to replace our Vic-20. Got replaced by my cousin`s C64-C (He`d gotten an Amiga). My elementary school had replaced all those Apple IIe`s with C64`s, but they saw almost no use due to the teachers having no idea how to use them. A few years after that, they invested in a computer lab in the library, consisting of around 24 Macintosh Plus units networked. Only one teacher in the whole school knew how to use them, but we had a computer lab class every couple of days, so they did not get wasted like the C64`s did. This period was the first time I played computer games with people without all parties using the same machine.

I bought an NES after they`d been out for around a year or so. Got a 386DX-25 when I was around 14, a 486DX2-66 somewhere around 15-16, shortly before the first Pentiums came to market. Sadly, my high school computer labs all used the same Mac`s that my elementary school used. They were not replaced until after I graduated. Jerks.

Bought a Playstation when I was 18. They had only been out for around 6 months at that point I think, based off of what I remember of the games that were available. My 486 lasted me until somewhere around 2000, when it got replaced by what I remember as being my first AMD machine. I recall saving up around $5000 and going all out on my hardware. That setup lasted me until around 2005, when I cannibalized my then-girlfriend`s castoff so I could play WoW with her. I`ve upgraded several times since then.

• DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Oh right, I`m gonna pick up the C64 from my parent`s place tomorrow, now that I have a house and space to set it up.

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote:
    fshck.jpg
    I still have that bad boy on my collection. It included many of the best PC games of the early/mid 90s: Skyroads, Jill of the Jungle, Solar Winds, Epic Pinball, the Hugo series, Commander Keen and a bunch of others whose names I can't remember.

:^: Volume 1 and 2 of this are still sitting in my desk's built-in CD rack between a CD full of Doom WADs and King's Quest VI. I should pull Hugo's House of Horrors off of it when it gets closer to Halloween.

soempty.jpg
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Trade wars. Pre-internet BBS multiplayer game.
    Dock.png

BBS: Bulletin Board System. You would have to dial into a remote computer using a phone line. Yea buddy, this was pre-Al Gore stuff right here.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    My mom wouldn't let me get a modem so I missed out on all the BBS stuff.

Thanks a lot Wargames. :(

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote:
    My favourite ever game that I saved up for MONTHS to buy, following the development in C64 mags (which I still own!) and couldn't wait for the release of?

Creatures 2.

And I'm not talking the swanky pants PC AI sim game, I'm talking a game featuring cute little creatures that you have to save from horrific torture, a platform puzzler. Here's some of the 'horrific' gore!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbVkewUZyjc&amp;feature=related

And the review (magazine scans!)
    http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/displaypage.pl?issue=081&page=020&thumbstart=0&magazine=zzap&check=1

Look at that price! £11.99! It took me ages to save that.

I salute all you older gents.

::edit:: I remember there was a cheat for creatures 2. You unplugged the joystick, licked your finger and rubbed it up and down... I'm sure there was actually a combination you could perform on the joystick but this actually worked.

This reminds me how much time I spent playing Lemmings in my youth, and the inordinate amount of time I would dedicate to setting up a stage to have the most spectacular nuke display I could devise. I'm not entirely sure why they put in an option to let you nuke all of your lemmings, but it was glorious. I guess it's better than blowing up actual animals though. I do recall once I was doing this very intensely one evening and my aunt was watching, probably assuming I was playing correctly as I don't think she's ever touched a video game, and the look on her face when I blew them all sky high still haunts me to this day. She probably thought I was going to grow up to be Hitler or something.

It was hilarious. Still is. Oh lemmings. That's a franchise I'm surprised hasn't come back with all of the "build your own" game games these days like LBP and Minecraft. But seeing what they did to Worms, maybe its for the best it was left back in the early 90's.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand