As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old Man River Raid [Geezer Gamers] (updated OP)

124»

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    What I find amusing is that a lot of the older games actually freak out when you have "impossible" tech. Like Strike Commander supposedly has problems if you have 16MB of RAM. Thankfully DOSBox takes care of stuff like this for us.

I think it was Wing Commander 3 that would tell me my CD-ROM was operating faster than was possible during it's hardware tests.

• JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Heh. The first computer games I ever played were in elementary school or junior high. We didn't even have a monitor -- it was one of those remote standalone terminals with a keyboard and a printer connected to a box of accordion-fold greenbar paper. Oregon Trail and Nuclear War FTW! (Or for the loss -- I think I usually died of dysentary and/or scorched the planet.)

Never had a computer when I was growing up, but one of my friends had an Apple ][ something-or-other. Sneakers and Wolfenstein (I think -- the original top-down version) and this one that I thought was called Galactic Empires that was kind of an ASCII version of Risk -- there was a square grid with planets marked by asterisks; you'd build your fleets and launch them at enemy worlds, but there was distance-based travel time so you'd never be sure what you'd find when you got there. Good days.

• PasteePastee Registered User regular
    Psiberian wrote:
    oh damn, MY PEOPLE! I have found you!
    from my console cabinet in the great room: The whole thing is still hooked up and dusty...but functional.
    2600.png

I had one of those Wico Joysticks. It looked like that but had three different interchangable grips. One was that bat, one was a ball, and one was a pilot grip. The joystick was so heavy you could hammer nails with it, or bludgeon the guy next to you after losing at "Cosmic Balance"

My first computer was an Atari 800 (48K, not that gimpy XL model) Paid 400$ for a Percom Data disk drive because tapes were fail. Our "console" wars were basically Atari vs. Commodore. I usually won by simply dropping the loading time argument. (Damn you EPYX for coming up with the Fastload cartridge!)

My first gaming system was the Odyssey2, which my parents bought because they delusionally thought that a keyboard = educational. Ha Ha.

I still pray for a remake of "Alternate Reality"

• BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I was just a wee tyke, but I remember gaming on one of these:
    rca-studio2.jpg

We also had a full size pinball machine in the house.

Which my dad sold so he could buy me the Atari 2600 I wanted for Christmas.

In hindsight, I wish I still had the pinball machine.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I remember in the late 80s when my mom signed me up for "Computer Camp" one summer and I was all excited about it until I actually started, when it became apparent that it was far more than just "computer" camp. It was an all-day activity thing that I went to a few times a week and lasted for a good chunk of the summer. There was archery, swimming, canoeing, taking part in some sort of play, and oh yeah, 1-2 hours a day was spent learning this thing called "basica." Computer camp, indeed, I thought.

Years later I realized I actually had learned enough about programming in Basic to help me out in my future programming classes. I think we learned how to program an ASCII version of Pac-Man, or at least my partner in class did. I have this distinct memory of entering the computer lab for the first time and seeing that everyone knew each other already, as well as the instructor. I pretty much had no idea what was going on. I must have been put into the second part of a class or something.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Pastee wrote:

You can quit praying...

http://www.crpgdev.com/

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Editing the registry and .ini files nowadays is no different than the editing of batch files and config files from the MS-DOS days. There are more and better standards for publishers of games nowadays, and we have better frameworks for building games so they are compatible with most systems, but as long as PCs remain a motley crew of hardware across several decades among the gaming demographic, someone out there will be fiddling with files and trying to eek out the last bit of performance so that the game would "work dammit already!"

Allocating memory? Soundblaster settings? We have folks on these forums that can definitively tell you how much of a performance hit you'll get for enabling Anti-Aliasing or Anisotropic Filtering on a particular patch of a particular game. The esoterica just changed in terminology, although it is easier nowadays to get a game running. I think it's more due to the fact that the consumers just happen to have more and better hardware to throw at the problem. If a game doesn't run, you can always turn the knobs and buttons down to get it to run.

That, and most games are now developed for console, and all major console manufacturers have rather stringent technical requirements to publish on their platforms.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    If a game doesn't run, you can always turn the knobs and buttons down to get it to run.

Games today are considerably more scalable than games have been traditionally.

I mean, if you had a lower spec machine and you wanted to play Duke Nukem II, than you were stuck with playing it slowly. Later, this began to change - the 286 16MHz with 2MB of RAM that I had played Wolfenstein 3D quite well, if I reduced the viewport to the size of a postage stamp.

Ultima Underworld was the first game I remember that had adjustable graphics settings (basically you could disable textures on the floor, ceiling, walls, etc to improve performance, which helped when making difficult jumps). Later on Doom had a "High" and "Low" resolution options, but that was about as fancy as it got until games like Quake started letting you change the display resolution.

It's nice that the spectrum of systems that are able to get playable performance levels out of a newly released game is usually so large these days. A gamer with a $2,500 PC that has a quad core CPU, 12GB of RAM, and a pair of 6990s overclocked to match the heat of the Sun can be playing the exact same game as a gamer with a $400 budget box. It'll look considerably different, but it'll still be the same game, and they will still be able to play it smoothly.

A far cry from the days when your only options were to get a 386 or suffer.

• tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    This is what I played on shortly before we got the NES and SNES. Keep in mind, I was born in 1987.

Change-a-Commodore-1541-into-a-RAID-server.jpg

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    darleysam wrote:
    rikdaly wrote:
    My first computer

cpcgreen.jpg
    Amstrad CPC464 with green screen, damn I loved that thing

Yes. Forget your Spectrums and Commodores and whatever else, this bad boy was civilisation. I can't imagine just how misty-eyed I would get if I could ever find a working one and load up some of our old tapes.

it truly was a thing of greatness, I remember my favourite games being

Treasure Island Dizzy

Treasure_Island_Dizzy_Coverart.png

and Green Beret

940460_90319_front.jpg

I spent most of my childhood playing on this until upgrading to an Amiga 600

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    See, whenever anyone mentions Treasure Island Dizzy, I end up with the music stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TURdxp82YDY

That. All day. Fuck.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh boy, autoexec.bat/config.sys editing for hours.

"It's kinda-sorta working. Don't fucking touch it!"

• rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote:
    See, whenever anyone mentions Treasure Island Dizzy, I end up with the music stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TURdxp82YDY

That. All day. Fuck.

I had it as my ringtone at one point

steam_sig.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I forget which Dizzy it was we had, but I remember the day my older brother completed it. I've spent most of my day here at work just searching youtube for videos of old Amstrad games, and am finding so many treasured memories. Watching a video of someone playing Genocide or Beach Head is incredible.

forumsig.png
  • PasteePastee Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    Pastee wrote:

You can quit praying...

http://www.crpgdev.com/

That made my morning. Thank you!

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    THIS.

archon_start_large.gif

I played it (and a lot more) on one of these:

atari800xl.jpg

I still think of this as the 'best' version of the game. It's been remade countless times, but everything-the art, the sound effects, the controls...nobody ever managed to make it right after it was made the first time.

Linespider5 on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    You know what game I loved?

Bard%27s_Tale_for_Apple_IIGS_screenshot.png

Commodore 64 version of course. With the big clacky keyboard and the awesome multicart adapter and such to make sure it took up the entire table. Not just most of it.

The Bard's Tale was the bestest. I learned to hex edit for that game! Played it on the Apple IIGS. I will never forgive Apple for killing the Apple II line. Never!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Threw up some links and cleaned up things in the OP in doing so, I learned that there are 2 hidden paddle games on the Atari Flashback 2

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    This might be a bit too modern for most of you real old school fellas, but I was very fond of Lode Runner: The Legend Returns. I owned one of the 80s versions, but that remake was so much better!

The recent remake was decent, but it lacked the crazy items you got in the 1994 version.

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Not sure why this thread hasn't been posted in more.

Although I grew up in the era of the Mega Drive (Genesis) and PS1, I didn't get a PS1 until 2001. Up to that point most of my gaming was done on the Mega Drive, and before that my brother's Amiga.

Rick Dangerous was an awesome game, even though I could never get past the third or fourth screen, and my brother also had a pirated (no pun intended) of Sid Meier's Pirates Gold, which I played for ages when I was about three or four, and one of the reasons why I still love Sid Meier's Pirates from 2004.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    That OP just made me realize how much I miss instruction books. Real, fucking, instruction books. Like that 500 page tome that came with XWING.

God I miss it.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Well, I found one of my lost classics.

http://www.capnmagneto.com/

Gameplay/instructions: http://www.capnmagneto.com/instructions.html

which can be downloaded and played on Mac using emulation.

http://www.macintoshgarden.org/games/capn-magneto

Game was hard as nails. I was able to beat it after years of playing.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    That OP just made me realize how much I miss instruction books. Real, fucking, instruction books. Like that 500 page tome that came with XWING.

God I miss it.

And the book that came with Tie Fighter that was somewhat a novelization, somewhat a tutorial.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    My earliest gaming memories are of Alleycat and Jumpman, although the first game I really got into was Starflight. Just about very one of the early era Sid Meier games were pure gold to me. So much time wasted well spent on Covert Action, Pirates! and Railroad Tycoon. Hero's Quest was huge in my childhood too, and to a lesser extent I played the other Sierra games. It's odd though, as I've gotten older I've taken much more of a shine to arcade games. Ghouls and Ghosts game design is really fantastic, I can see how people could be suckered into putting coin after coin in the machine.