As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] FEAR 3 Helloween+Klyka Co-op S08 - Brotherly smells

KlykaKlyka DO you have anySPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Games and Technology
172918-fear3.jpg
F.E.A.R. 3 (stylized in the logo as F.3.A.R) is a first person-shooter developed by Day 1 Studios for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360 as a sequel to the game F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin and the third installment of the F.E.A.R. series. F.E.A.R. 3 includes features such as "co-op, an evolved cover system, and more scares", according to Day 1 Studios founder and president Denny Thorley. In the game, the players control either Point Man or Paxton Fettel, the protagonist and antagonist, respectively, from the first game, F.E.A.R.. The control system for the Point Man is the same as the previous two games, giving the player a command list typical of most first person shooter games (the ability to fire weapons, throw grenades, melee, activate/use items etc), as well as the ability to slow time. As Fettel, the player assists the Point Man by using telekinesis, stun, possession, a melee attack unique to Fettel and other abilities. In addition to these abilities, the player also has full access to the abilities of any character Fettel possesses. Both characters have the ability to access and control enemy technology (such as mech suits). Also, the game has both online and offline Co-Op play.Once you complete a level as Point Man, you can then replay that level in single player as Paxton Fettel.

Here we go, Helloween and me are doing a co-op LP! And what better game to play than FEAR 3! Helloween already LPed FEAR 1 while I did FEAR 2, so this is like a homecoming for the two of us.

We are doing a bit of a special thing here: Both Hell and me record our session from our respective point of views and then upload them separately!
So you can watch from the POV you prefer and won't miss a single bit of audio! Or, if you are crazy like that, you can watch both one after another or even AT THE SAME TIME!
The future is now friends! Welcome to FEAR 3!

Set 01 - Blood brothers
Helloween POV:
Klyka POV:
Set 02 - Magic Helicopter Ride
Helloween POV:
Klyka POV:
Set 03 - Hell's Kitchen Knife
Helloween POV:
Klyka POV:
Set 04 - Cul de Suck
Helloween POV:
Klyka POV:
Set 05 - Sinkholes of Doom
Helloween POV:
Klyka POV:
Set 06 - Don't steal!
Helloween POV:
Klyka POV:
Set 07 - A bridge too F.E.A.R.
Helloween POV:
Klyka POV:
Set 08 - Brotherly smells
Helloween POV:
Klyka POV:

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
lTDyp.jpg
Klyka on

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Tater tots are an american thing, I believe. They're SORTA like french fries, only very short and fat.

Glad you two are doing this. It gives me some helloween while I'm trying to finish Alice: Madness returns so I can watch that LP as well.

Hey. Maybe this will actually POST this time instead of not, like the last four times I tried to post this.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Helloween Tweeted about this and shared with me that you'd be handling the thread Klyka.

As a concept, this is fucking rad. The same content from two POVs. I hope it leads to good shit. :^:

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Tater tots are hash browns finger food, and they are delicious in small doses.

Really like the concept here, though I don't have time to watch yet.

s7Imn5J.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Oh wow, this is a real thing and not just something I was really hoping would happen :D

I must watch this. I must.

Edit: Just watched both halves of the first set. This is everything I thought it could be and then some. Bravo, guys :^:

Interval 03 is going to be a thing of beauty.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    We all knew this was coming. Just didn't know it'd be so soon, and while both Klyka and Helloween have brand new LPs to work through.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This could be the greatest LP of all time.

OF ALL TIME.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    It is way more entertaining to watch (pretty much) the same thing twice than I thought it would be. The action was kinda hard to follow, nothing wrong on your part, just that all those rooms and hallways were very same-y. I have no idea how you two didn't get lost. And CAN the ghost player die? It seems like the challenge there just comes from the game not explaining things.

Co-op in FEAR 3 is hilariously easy, because the spirit brother + normal brother combination is ridiculously overpowered. I suspect that is by design though.

• HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    The game so far really doesn't feel like fear, which is a shame to be honest. But, killing dudes in slow mo with a mate is always a giggle.

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
    The game is already supposed to be less "scary" than the other two (four) games. Having a co-op mode doesn't help things.

steam_sig.png

The game is already supposed to be less "scary" than the other two (four) games. Having a co-op mode doesn't help things.

steam_sig.png

I am not going to apologize for a double post. No one should, at least not in the forums' current state.

steam_sig.png

Helloween wrote:
    The game so far really doesn't feel like fear, which is a shame to be honest. But, killing dudes in slow mo with a mate is always a giggle.
    Yeah. Fear should NOT have regenerating health. It should have medkits bound to an awful key, and you should go around shotgunning mans in the face, with no worry about health until AFTER.

Also you shouldn't need cover ever.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Yeah, it's just not the same without the medkit monster, among other things. Game had a few reasonably tense moments, but it's hard to get too scared when the ghost of your psychic cannibal brother who you killed is along for the ride.

You can slide-kick through doors, however, so that's something.

I watched the Klyka feed, and one of the best bits was when you heard Helloween dismiss the cover system immediately after realizing the game had one.

steam_sig.png

• SvKSvK Registered User regular
    The forums have been causing double posts recently, but now they've caused a double-LP! Wonderful!

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I watched the Klyka feed, and one of the best bits was when you heard Helloween dismiss the cover system immediately after realizing the game had one.

Yeah Klyka's feed is the one I watched. Still have to watch Helloween's end. I think it's great how ahead of the game Klyka was in comparison. Though I do want to see how trippy his character looks when doing all that shit.

I shared this with Helloween via twitter but this LP is hysterical already, because of their nonchalant commentary about the things happening. Like seeing shadows run off around a corner. Suppose to freak us out, but to an Englishman and German it's just, "Oh, hrm, that certainly happened did it not!"

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Wait a minute,

so who where you in the first game?

That's cause he can ghost teleport across the room. Also, his uploads are in one giant chunk where Helloween has them split into two parts. You can pick whatever you like.

steam_sig.png

I do have to agree that the action in this game felt surprisingly good. Like, I went in with pretty low expectations but had a lot of fun even in single player. The point system seemed silly at first but damned if I didn't start making an effort to rack up the bonuses over time. Lots of neat little (albeit graphic) touches too, like blowing a guy's arm off and watching him grasp at it feebly before falling over. The violence actually felt violent.

And while it's not as godly the original FEAR shotty, I grew quite attached to the one here. Took a man apart right proper.

Wait a minute,

so who where you in the first game?
    You were pointman. The fellow that Helloween is playing.

He had less beard back then.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    ...wtf....

So, why exactly is he evil now? And who was you playing as in Fear 2?

Carson Beckett? Something like that.

I think I saw on Giant Bomb that apparently, some other team did Fear 2 and took it in a new direction. This is the old team attempting to reconcile their ideas with the ones brought forth by FEAR 2.

steam_sig.png

• KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    This is something I never thought I'd see. It never even occured to me that a co-op let's play would happen, let alone with Helloween and Klyka. Looking forward to shotgun shenanigans.
    Carson Beckett? Something like that.

I think I saw on Giant Bomb that apparently, some other team did Fear 2 and took it in a new direction. This is the old team attempting to reconcile their ideas with the ones brought forth by FEAR 2.

Monolith did the original FEAR. You played as pointman, a member of an elite team designated to deal with supernatural stuff.

Then their publisher took the name and had a different studio put out two expansions (Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate, playing as Pointman and Some New Guy, respectively). Monolith and lots of fans hated them. I liked them. More FEAR, new guns, lots of dead stuff. Horrible in terms of the effect they'd have on canon, though.

Monolith got the rights back, did FEAR 2*, disavowed the previous expansions having ever happened. Monolith gave up the rights and Day 1 is responsible for FEAR 3.

*In which you play a special forces operative named Becket, forget the first name. I don't think it's Carson. Carson Becket is the name of the doctor character from Stargate: Atlantis.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
    edited September 2011
    ...wtf....

So, why exactly is he evil now? And who was you playing as in Fear 2?

He's not really evil, he just doesn't have much choice about whether Fettel tags along. As I understand it, canon got fuzzy when FEAR 1's expansions rolled out from another studio, then got screwed even further when FEAR 2 came around, and again when the expansions were effectively voided. Like cooljammer says, FEAR 3 is the effort to untangle the mess, which arguably just makes it more confusing.

I try not to think too much about it.

Edit: Beaten, and clarified by Klash. But yeah, FEAR's continuity is a tad askew at this point.

Stolls on
    Could have sworn it was more complicated than that. I remember being taken aback when I heard about it on Giant Bomb, and I already knew the whole "expansions aren't canon" thing. Was it something about them having had an entire game made already and scrapped for Fear 2?

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

steam_sig.png

• KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Basically, FEAR has no canon. At this point it's all just a reason to have a series of cool games where you punch dudes in the face and then their heads asplode AND OH WOW DID YOU SEE THAT BLOOD CLOUD!?!

Like Quake. 'Cept with more karate. I'm ok with this, I think.
    Could have sworn it was more complicated than that. I remember being taken aback when I heard about it on Giant Bomb, and I already knew the whole "expansions aren't canon" thing. Was it something about them having had an entire game made already and scrapped for Fear 2?

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

The expansions aren't canon because Monolith didn't make them. They were done without their consent, and FEAR was their baby, so when they got the chance, they struck them from the record. It's actually kind of weird how the legal disputes have impacted the canon, it made people so confused that everyone thinks the FEAR canon is so much more complicated and deep than it is.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
    Oh right, it was something to do with the fact that somewhere, somehow, whoever was making FEAR 2 lost the right to call it a FEAR game. Something along the lines of Project Origin being more than just a subtitle for the 2nd game. I really wish I remember more.

steam_sig.png

Here you go!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/908/908390p1.html
    It's a bit funny how the corporate world works. In 2005, Sierra and Monolith put out an acclaimed first-person shooter called F.E.A.R. that blended elements of Japanese-style horror with kinetic gunplay. But prior to that, in 2004, Monolith was acquired by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, which meant that things would get complicated for any follow-up. Sierra owned the name F.E.A.R., but Monolith was the company responsible for actually making it. So what happened next was a bit comical. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announced Project Origin, a game that would effectively be the spiritual successor to F.E.A.R., while Sierra would make F.E.A.R. 2 with another developer.

steam_sig.png

• valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    I watched both POVs, there are just too many shenanigans going on on each screen to not do that. Also, your co-op stuff is even better than both your solo LPs (not that they're not great) so yeah.
    I don't know how this could be any better :D

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Glad everyone is enjoying it :)

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    So, basically,

Fear 1: You're pointman a badass ninja guy who fights supernatural stuff with bullet time. You found out Alma is a crazy bitch and you do your boss fight and shit got exploded.

Fear 2: You're pointman again and....you have sex with Alma because she's your mother and she needs your sperm to....reborn herself?

Fear 3: Now you have an evil ghost brother and it's up to you and your evil ghost brother to save your mom/lover?

....the fuck?

Also, this lets play is probably the best one as of yet from both of ya'll.

Pointman doesn't show up in FEAR 2. You are "Beckett" a different soldier.
    Watch my LP of it :D

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Okay, that makes thing a bit less creepy.

I have a soft spot for Fear 1 that I kind of want to try Fear 2 and give it a fair, unbiased, chance. One of these days I'm gonna snag FEAR 2 from steam during one of its super cheap sales.

Yeah man, in Fear, rape is okay. But incestuous rape? Nuh uh.

steam_sig.png

• HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    Buckett was the FEAR 2 guy. He was dull and still had super powers. Pointman/FPS Jesus is now the new Beardman. Buckett gets boinked at the end of the absurd ending to FEAR 2. FEAR 2 next to the first was such a low. A shame really.

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
    He had slow mo powers cause they operated on him. He was also one of the prototypes. It's all very dumb and stupid and dumb.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    And yet, above all, the worst thing FEAR 2 does is gimp the shotgun.

I still think it's better than Perseus mandate though.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I can see this entire LP devolving into some sort of Bill & Ted/Jay & Silent Bob/Harold & Kumar comedy. And it will be glorious!

Incidentally, Klyka not sharing the psychic links would just be unfair towards Helloween...

Akilae on
    If the first part is any indication now I've sat down and watched it, this will be hilarious. I honestly don't know how you're supposed to keep up with Psychic Possession meat pop man though in terms of "Favourite Son" stakes. You're going to have to pull out something special to keep up with him here Helloween. Don't let Britain down.