As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Suspense/Horror movie recommendations!

13»

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    The documentary, Into Eternity could very well be classed as a horror film. It's about the problem of nuclear waste, and in particular the Finnish programme of burying the waste deep within the ground.

Doesn't really sound like much, but the presentation and cinematography are brilliant and really capture a quiet horror

• MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    If no one has said it... John Carpenter's The Thing. Just rewatched it a couple weeks ago and it has aged really well. Also its good to get fired up for the prequel coming out.

PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Th Thing has to take the suspense crown if just for the blood testing scene.

Also I thought the original Ring had a ridiculously scary atmosphere.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    Also ... dat gore... no CGI... just rubber latex and strange foreign fluids... shit looked amazing then and still does.

PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    Godfather wrote:
    Okay, well so far these are the movies i've seen:

Paranormal Activity - Very creepy and unsettling. I was generally surprised because the hype for this thing was off the charts a few years back, but I feel that it's well deserved here. Had trouble sleeping for the next few nights.

The Last Exorcism - Got kind of a "meh" reaction from me. Granted, I had the ending spoiled a bit for me before I saw it, so that could be a substantial factor. It was okay, but didn't deliver on its Blair Witch-style promise. There are a few good tense parts though.

The Ring - I was looking forward to this one, but it didn't really do much for me in the sense of horror and dread. If anything it felt like a better mystery movie than anything. Consider me disappointed!

The Grudge - This movie is nightmare fuel, Jesus Christ.

I actually know a lot about The Descent, and I don't think it's for me to be honest. The gore is too much in a lot of scenes.

Anyone know about a movie called Yellow Brick Road? I am very curious about it!

Re: The Ring and The Grudge - You HAVE to check out the original Japanese versions of these movies, even if you have seen the American versions. I used to work at a video store, and I grew to love foreign movies. These two in particular stood out as being the scariest movies I've ever seen. In fact, Ju-on (the original The Grudge) has stopped me from being able to watch scary movies alone.

Here are the IMDB links to the movies. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364385/, and http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0178868/

steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Yeah, I want to see Ju-On. I hear the original is extremely terrifying.

I saw The Thing recently, and while it was good (the blood scene made me jump) it didn't really scare me. But it was a good movie!

I want to watch something called Rec now. And Apollo 18

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Rec is great. As is the sequel.

• Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    Also, I cannot recommend Alien enough. I watched it again recently (in Blurray) and it is just as good as I remember it (having watched it a dozen times at least).

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote:
    Yeah, I want to see Ju-On. I hear the original is extremely terrifying.

I saw The Thing recently, and while it was good (the blood scene made me jump) it didn't really scare me. But it was a good movie!

I want to watch something called Rec now. And Apollo 18

I'd pass on Apollo 18, it felt really mediocre to me and most of the scares are telegraphed a mile away

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List