As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]away

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:

Niiiice. Really hope this works out. It can only accomplish so much with the seething mass of corruption and ignorance in our culture, but every little bit helps.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    In other news, I have found the perfect summation of my opinions on movie going etiquette for the next time it comes up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRVt1clJjgw

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    like, okay. someone making $240,000 W-2 income ends up getting a Federal refund. Does that mean he's in a negative tax bracket? Does that mean he's not paying income tax? No, it doesn't!

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Arch wrote:
    Kagera wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    I just want a show where kids are brought into a land infested with dinosaurs and then it's made extremely obvious how bad an idea that was and there's no way you can have a stable society with dinosaurs around so everyone gets eaten.

More like 'oh shit there is shit that exists in this time we have no immune defense for this is like fucking War of the Worlds or something gakkk'...

I wonder if, given that we exist after viruses have evolved to more specialized forms, whether or not present immunity would be enough to defend us against prehistoric forms of viruses.

Fuck if I know, I have a layman's understanding of science at the best of times!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    moniker wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:

And the benefit of the middle is what? It still removes the confrontational aspect, which means you won't accomplish anything. And the flying stock brokers was a joke.

As far as the Tea Party goes, they aren't a civil rights organization. They aren't an oppressed minority. They aren't fighting for equality and aren't doing so from a position of relative weakness. They also had massive exploitative help from the Republican machine who used them for votes.

The benefit is that people will listen to you with an open mind, rather than either ignoring you or having preconceived notions. I realize you were exaggerating, but the point remains—people that are violent or dress in such a way that raises stereotypes aren't going to have as good a reaction as someone who aggressively calls for change while still looking like a responsible member of society*. Media attention doesn't mean shit if everyone is immediately prejudiced against you. Hell, it can even be harmful.

With the Tea Party, they WERE a minority. You're right, not particularly oppressed. But the basic idea is the same. A lot of the people who shifted their political views in favor of the Tea Parties wouldn't have done so if the Tea Party showed up dressed like hippies. Yes, the Tea Party did have some silly pageantry with the founding father nonsense. But that was a minority (look up "tea party protest" on Google Images and compare the number of people dressed in a button down shirt and trousers with the number of people dressed as colonial patriots), and the pageantry was directly relevant to their goals—trying to bring America closer to what they believe the founding fathers wanted.

*Not saying people who dress like hippies can't be responsible members of society. But they won't be seen that way.

Except that they don't listen. I brought up the history of civil rights prior to King. It didn't accomplish a lot. Washington got some colleges started which was a long term good but he didn't really get much equality.He was the biggest proportionate of just trying to find people with an open mind and talking to them. Other leaders followed who walked the same path. They got some minor things done but didn't begin to generate anything resembling equality. The reality is that just hoping to find people with an open mind and getting them to recruit others with a slightly less open mind and so forth doesn't work.

There was a gay rights movement prior to Stonewall. It was pretty small but we forget about it because it literally accomplished nothing. The idea that you can depend on people's open minds is sheer stupidity. An open mind would have looked at Jim Crow and said "Hey, this is pretty bullshit" and people did! Not enough to matter.

And while the Tea Party is a minority, they weren't an oppressed one. They accomplished things but they didn't have to work to get to the point of being equal. And they had the advantage of the primary group they were protesting against co-opting their message for their own use.

I disagree about the relative merits of the Mattachine Society and its impact on LGBT rights, but at this point meh. It's late and I need to sleep. Style and manner of dress is a form of communication, and you should use it to communicate what you want. Like SiG being super sexy in her shiny jacket festooned with zippers.

It didn't accomplish very much at all. The very tiny idea of gay community which only took root in a pathetically tiny section of the population. And the dress of the pride parades was a form of communication. It said "We're here. You can't pretend we don't exist". Which is a pretty damn important message.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I almost bought nerd clothes from south korea yesterday

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Variable wrote:

Hahah, was in the SC2 clothes that I listed?

Dude some of these look swank, I am highly considering them.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Republicans don't hate taxes. They hate anything that isn't them. They are daleks.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Variable wrote:

I didn't see your list, but probably. the ones from one of the teams? prime, website is primezzang.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Arch wrote:
    Kagera wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    I just want a show where kids are brought into a land infested with dinosaurs and then it's made extremely obvious how bad an idea that was and there's no way you can have a stable society with dinosaurs around so everyone gets eaten.

More like 'oh shit there is shit that exists in this time we have no immune defense for this is like fucking War of the Worlds or something gakkk'...

I wonder if, given that we exist after viruses have evolved to more specialized forms, whether or not present immunity would be enough to defend us against prehistoric forms of viruses.
    This presumes that earlier forms of viruses could attack us in the first place.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Ive already seen crank. I need new statham.

• Options
    Variable wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Variable wrote:

I didn't see your list, but probably. the ones from one of the teams? prime, website is primezzang.

Yup. Outside of the couple "prime exclusive" ones most of it seemed like pretty solid fashion to me.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Variable wrote:

That's good, Inquisitor. If I do move to LA I'll need you to look dumpy so I have a chance at getting a girlfriend.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    Arch wrote:
    Kagera wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

Fuck if I know, I have a layman's understanding of science at the best of times!

Also I kind of want to watch this show

• Options
    I do want to watch Terra Nova. It's probably Terra Bull.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:

gettin a purple scorpion embroidered on it if it fits

spared no expense

• Options
    What is Icecaps anyway?

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Variable wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Variable wrote:

Yup. Outside of the couple "prime exclusive" ones most of it seemed like pretty solid fashion to me.

agreed. the weird hoodie is actually the one I was looking at but I liked a lot of the stuff overall.

• Options
    I can't decide how I feel about the weird hoodie.

I like it because it is weird but I am not sure if I would ever actually wear it in public.

• Options
    mcdermott wrote:

did you see that thing with deniro and clive owen

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    So again, the minority needs to adapt itself to the standards the majority that is oppressing them. This is the point I want you to think about.

They do!

And I do agree with you 100% that this shouldn't be the case. It's unfortunate that people judge that way. But as long as they do, people need to work within the confines of that judgement if they want to win those people over. If they don't care about winning those people over (they think they don't need them, they're unwilling to compromise, whatever), that's perfectly fine, but it's a consideration that needs to be made.

The reason I'm making a discrepancy between your clothes and your words is because the message you want to spread is in your words. If you say something in an aggressive manner, asking people to question their beliefs, they'll hear that aggression... but they'll also hear the words persuading them to question their beliefs. But if someone dresses in a counter-cultural manner, it immediately loses validity in many people's eyes. If Joe Schmo sees someone dressed as a hippie, there are certain negative connotations that come to mind. There's a much greater chance of assuming "Oh, it's just some lazy, naive kid" before the protestor even opens their mouth to get their point across.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    puppies are great

and with that, I go to my 2.5 hour delayed bedtime

• Options
    So It Goes wrote:
    Feral wrote:

gettin a purple scorpion embroidered on it if it fits

spared no expense

is this a joke

because i am behind this plan

• Options
    Sarksus wrote:
    I do want to watch Terra Nova. It's probably Terra Bull.

ugggggggh

• Options
    Why a purple scorpion?

• Options
    100% Arch

one hundred percent serious

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:
    So again, the minority needs to adapt itself to the standards the majority that is oppressing them. This is the point I want you to think about.

They do!

And I do agree with you 100% that this shouldn't be the case. It's unfortunate that people judge that way. But as long as they do, people need to work within the confines of that judgement if they want to win those people over.

Thankfully, this isn't actually true.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I can't decide how I feel about the weird hoodie.

I like it because it is weird but I am not sure if I would ever actually wear it in public.

yeah. I want to see it in person.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote:
    mcdermott wrote:

did you see that thing with deniro and clive owen

Not YET.

• Options
    Speaking of junk food remember when I was talking about how I wished they made Strawberry cupcakes and someone said they did and I said I wish they would sell them around here?

Guess what showed up at the very store I work at this week?

I feel like I'm being watched.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote:
    100% Arch

one hundred percent serious

fuckin do it

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:

They do!

And I do agree with you 100% that this shouldn't be the case. It's unfortunate that people judge that way. But as long as they do, people need to work within the confines of that judgement if they want to win those people over.

Thankfully, this isn't actually true.

Why don't you think it's true?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote:

They do!

And I do agree with you 100% that this shouldn't be the case. It's unfortunate that people judge that way. But as long as they do, people need to work within the confines of that judgement if they want to win those people over. If they don't care about winning those people over (they think they don't need them, they're unwilling to compromise, whatever), that's perfectly fine, but it's a consideration that needs to be made.

The reason I'm making a discrepancy between your clothes and your words is because the message you want to spread is in your words. If you say something in an aggressive manner, asking people to question their beliefs, they'll hear that aggression... but they'll also hear the words persuading them to question their beliefs. But if someone dresses in a counter-cultural manner, it immediately loses validity in many people's eyes. If Joe Schmo sees someone dressed as a hippie, there are certain negative connotations that come to mind. There's a much greater chance of assuming "Oh, it's just some lazy, naive kid" before the protestor even opens their mouth to get their point across.

And again, historically groups that have thought the way you do have accomplished nothing. That's the point I keep trying to give you. When oppressed minorities attempt to adapt to the mainstream in hopes of gaining freedom from oppression, it doesn't work. It is only by confronting the mainstream and forcing it to change that you get movement forward.

• Options
    You wish they made strawberry cupcakes?

Maybe they are watching you.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Good morning [chat].

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Why a purple scorpion?

because it will be like the jacket in Drive

and I love purple

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Half my clothes are from s Korea. All yall haters gon hate

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote:

They do!

Maybe Joe Schmo is just a bigoted fuck-o and we don't need his say-so you dig me Solo?

• Options
    So It Goes wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Why a purple scorpion?

because it will be like the jacket in Drive

and I love purple

I have not seen drive. I take it you quite liked it.

Also, for those keeping score at home, this is the hoodie vari and I be musing about:
    hoodie.jpg

• Options
    Eddy wrote:
    Half my clothes are from s Korea. All yall haters gon hate

no one is hating

This discussion has been closed.