As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Zelda Thread] Skyward Sword...smells nice too.

Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
ssimage.png

skywardswordboxartgoldw.jpg

Skyward Swords Release Now Less Than Two Months Away!

FUCK YEAH!

skywardswordbesteverhea.jpg <- Clicky

bzeapart1.png
bzeapart2.png

Tweets have revealed that the game will be 50-100 hours, perhaps Nintendo's biggest project ever, and (not really spoilers but just in case...)
there will be a second playthrough of some sort and also boss rush.
Peewi wrote:
New Skyward Sword videos from Comic Con. Spoilers, obviously...but not extremely major ones, I think.

Gametrailers offscreen 1 - boss intro, fight and outro
Gametrailers offscreen 2 - bird riding contest

Direct feed 1 - boss battle from above (longer, shows the whole fight)
Direct feed 2 - spiders and Stalfos (if you want to avoid spoilers, this is the best to watch...amazing music)
Direct feed 3 - puzzle gameplay, continuing from direct feed 2
What did I say when we found out about the sky school. What did I say! Harry Potter Zelda. And here we have Link chasing after a golden snitch.

Ghirahim is incredibly freaky. Seems...I don't know, bold of Nintendo to go that direction with a character.

Seriously the orchestrated music in the Youtube videos is AMAZING. So atmospheric.

gameinformer.png

sZRrI.jpg
gEolc.jpg
RZa2Y.jpg
IfvOn.jpg
hnNFH.jpg
3Mdj8.jpg
r3LFK.jpg

Click for Zelda awesomeness of the Ocarina of Time 3D variety.

The Legend of Zelda Anniversary and Appreciation Thread

thelegendofzeldabanner.png

The Legend of Zelda Games

270ii.jpg271dy.jpg
zelda1g.png

zelda2.png

272ds.jpg
linktothepast.png

273km.jpg
linksawakening.png

274dw.jpg275jt.jpg
ocarinaoftimei.png
smask.png

276e.jpg
agesandseasons.png

277py.jpg
fourswords.png

278ox.jpg279xu.jpg
windwaker.png
fourswordsadventures.png

280g.jpg
minishcap.png

281e.jpg
twilightprincess.png

282ko.jpg283l.jpg
phantomhourglass.png
spirittracks.png

82151180.jpg
skywardsword.png

Artwork and other media:

The February 2010 issue of the Japanese gaming magazine Nintendo Dream came packaged with a 100-page Zelda art book, featuring artwork from the original Legend of Zelda all the way through Spirit Tracks. I’m happy to announce that we at ZeldaPower have the full book scanned and uploaded for your viewing pleasure!

Nintendo Dream Zelda Art Book

page001thumb.jpg page002thumb.jpg

zeldamural.png

The Music of The Legend of Zelda:

Courtesy of Foefaller and Jave
Courtesy of BTP, Rinzler, and plufim

My Top 12 Zelda Bosses

top12zeldabosses.png

My Top 3 Zelda Mini Games

swampshootinggallery.jpg
Shooting Galary - Located in the swamp in Majora's Mask

bombchubowlingalley1lar.jpg
Bombachu Bowling - Located in Hyrule Castle in Ocarina of Time

starsminigame.png
STARS - Located in Hyrule Town in Twilight Princess

fishinge.jpg
And of course everyone loves . . . fishing!

Other Appearances by Zelda Characters

soulcaliburiigamecube43.jpggueststarring232998.jpg

smashbrosseries.png

614093linkscrossbowtrai.jpgcrossbowtraining.png

Forumer Contributions and Collections

189uk.jpg

1UP is now competing with IGN for coverage of the The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary so I thought I would post the various articles and links to videos and podcasts from their extravaganza here. Clicking on the above image leads to the main page and each of the following images leads to their respective pages.

195j.jpg

194e.jpg

355lh.jpg

199ek.jpg

198ol.jpg

197m.jpg

200kg.jpg

193pa.jpg

344am.jpg

343tz.jpg

Discuss! Oh, and lets try to keep the futile arguments of the Zelda timeline to a minimum just for the sake of the threads collective sanity. What are you going to do to celebrate 25 years of Zelda? I think I'm going to play through Twilight Princess again (third time, whoo!) as I actually just played through A Link to the Past again recently. Those two games, incidentally, are also my two favorite games in the series as it stands thus far. We need not argue over which game is the best here though. Share your own opinions and rejoice that the Zelda series will be with us for many many years to come.

And the game I'm looking to forward to the most this year: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Easily. Also really really looking forward to playing through The Ocaina of Time again though, in 3D!

Also: HySpace is awesome

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
Xenogears of Bore on

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    IGN says of the game's pre-adventure intro section:
    Several hours long but less boring and obnoxious than Twilight Princess.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    man how did the other Zelda thread even get so borked?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Giant Bomb preview

Best part
    Skyward Sword also channels Wind Waker in distinct ways.

[...]

More importantly, the journey feels like Wind Waker; upon gaining access to your air-bound Loftbird, there's an enormous sky canvas to paint on. Feel like aimlessly wandering? You can. See an island in the distance and suspect a heart piece might be in the bushes? Find out! I didn't have a chance to discover much but I did poke around the map, and it was clear Nintendo has spent the last half-a-decade making sure there are plenty to find. Completionists should be excited...and scared.

hype++++++++++++++++++

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    This game looks so good

LxX6eco.jpg
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    -Tal wrote:

Its a secret to everyone.

Actually, I tried to simply make a post in it and then . . . chaos! My suspicion now is that Ganon has escaped the Sacred Realm and is mucking things up just to be a dick.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    I love how the characters look and move. The animations really look better than fancy HD games. It's like a Disney cartoon.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    -Tal wrote:

It's happening to several threads.

Also, this is the first I've seen of any SS media and I have to say Link looks like a drag queen. Not really sure if that's a positive yet.

Magic Pink on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    The eyes seem a bit off (maybe the heavy eyelashes) but otherwise I like the style/character design just fine. And holy crap there is a lot of video and information out there.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    I was just wondering yesterday what ever happened to this game. Nice!

There's also a lot of information that is embargoed and so is not being given to us by the lucky jerks who got to play the game. Hrmph.

I just want to know if you can swordfight or shoot arrows on the bird like you could on Epona in TP.

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    That other thread is so borked it frightens me a little.

Yay Zelda! I am moving back and forth between wanting to go on a media blackout, and realizing that it's almost 2 months away and I don't know if I have that much patience.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Qingu wrote:
    There's also a lot of information that is embargoed and so is not being given to us by the lucky jerks who got to play the game. Hrmph.

I just want to know if you can swordfight or shoot arrows on the bird like you could on Epona in TP.

I'm pretty sure they've said there will be mid-air fights.

LxX6eco.jpg
    @Gandalf, if you have the willpower (I sure don't), I would really urge you to go on a media blackout.

@Syphon,
    There's a video of a mid-air fight in the sense of you riding your bird into battle against a giant flying creature, but it's unclear if you actually get to attack while on the bird or if you only get to maneuver the bird into a position where you can jump onto the creature, a la SoTC.

Some sort of vague world map:
    worldmap.JPG

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I can't decide whether that looks huge or incredibly small without context.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Come on Nintendo it's 2011 spring for some voice actors.

And I'm hoping this game comes with a hard mode because every zelda has been pretty damn easy even if you go for 3 heart challenges.

I can't decide whether that looks huge or incredibly small without context.
    It's the underworld/surface. The sky is supposed to be huge, like WW's ocean. The underworld is of unknown size but it is said that the individual parts that you jump into from the sky are unconnected.

@Inkyblots ... eh. Most videogames have terrible voice acting; I'd rather have none than bad or mediocre. Actually I would prefer to just have less cut scenes in Zelda altogether, though at least this game looks pretty nice. Plus it would probably up the size of the game file and crowd out space for orchestral music.

And word on the street is that this game is much harder than other 3-D Zeldas. I actually saw a quote from a hands-on that says it's the hardest Zelda yet ... which would be insane because Zelda 2 is damn near impossible.

While I agree that most videogame VA is awful I don't think that's a valid reason to not use it. I can live without cutscenes and voice acting out but leaving the latter out just seems lazy.

I would rather have no voice acting than bad voice acting. But maybe that's my nostalgia for 16-bit RPG's talking.

Yeah nobody wants bad voice acting but Nintendo isn't exactly struggling for cash, they could of found some good voice work for one of their most popular franchises. Like I said it's not a deal breaker for me but it would of just put a little more life into the game and not doing it just seems like a cop out or just plain lazy.

Zelda doesn't need voice acting.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Considering the voice acting in Super Mario Sunshine and how irritating the video below gets after awhile, I'm okay with Nintendo never approaching voice acting regarding Zelda (or anything else period outside of small snippets).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_8L08ofQI4

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
    edited September 2011
    No game needs Voice Acting, just like a game doesn't need fancy graphics, a good sound track, or hell even good gameplay for the matter. It's all just there to enrich the experience. I look at Twilight Princess and I see a game that didn't go the extra mile to become a great game, and while I'ma reiterate that voice over work isn't a big deal, it's just hinting at the same mentality they had with TP.

Inkyblots on
    Inkyblots wrote:
    No game needs Voice Acting, just like a game doesn't need fancy graphics, a good sound track, or hell even good gameplay for the matter. It's all just there to enrich the experience.

Okay, let me rephrase then

Voice acting would not enrich the Zelda experience.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I prefer no voice acting. I read faster then I can listen anyway.

• Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    I don't know, actually. I'm currently playing through Kingdom Hearts, a game that uses both voice acting and text-only segments, and the VO really fleshes out the characters. I mean, I expect that Link would always be silent, but I see no reason not to give a voice to other characters. Seems stuck in the past the same way Zelda music is still poor-quality synth/midi-based.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I'm all for avoiding bad voice acting but the way Zelda characters move their mouths with no sound coming out just looks wrong. I'd even be up for them speaking gibberish ala Animal Crossing. They can just be speaking Hylian or whatever. Then we can pretend it's a stylistic choice instead of Nintendo being outdated, stubborn and cheap.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I thought SS was getting the orchestral treatment

I think one of the biggest problems is that, even if you hire the best voice actors, a lot of Zelda writing doesn't seem to suit itself to voice acting. Think of all the goofy and weird stuff people say in a Zelda game, and how often the text explicitly references gameplay mechanics. Was it Harrison Ford who told George Lucas "You can write this shit, but you can't say it"?

edited September 2011
    Inkyblots wrote:
    No game needs Voice Acting, just like a game doesn't need fancy graphics, a good sound track, or hell even good gameplay for the matter. It's all just there to enrich the experience.

Why wouldn't it? This just kind of points to the fact that zelda is not an enriching experience to begin with, and is just a game you play. Which is fine if you are into that sort of thing. Like Two Headed Boy said it just makes it look like zelda is stuck in the past.

And like two headed boy also mentioned with Kingdom Hearts, you don't need voice work for every like of text.

Inkyblots on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote:
    I thought SS was getting the orchestral treatment

It is but I don't think for every piece of music.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    Some but not all of SS's tracks will be orchestrated.

Thank God, too. Twilight Princess' music sounded horrible.

I'm all for avoiding bad voice acting but the way Zelda characters move their mouths with no sound coming out just looks wrong. I'd even be up for them speaking gibberish ala Animal Crossing. They can just be speaking Hylian or whatever. Then we can pretend it's a stylistic choice instead of Nintendo being outdated, stubborn and cheap.

Okami did this and it worked quite well in my opinion, it didn't run the risk of having terrible voice work and it fit will into the atmosphere of the game.

You know what Nintendo game had voice acting?

Metroid Other M.

Game. Set. Match.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    You know what Nintendo game had voice acting?

Metroid Other M.

Game. Set. Match.
    200px-Remember_me.png

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
    I thought the babble in Okami (and Midna's babble in TP) was more annoying than silent lip-moving.