Options

Breaking Bad

19495969798100»

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Guys, the show is about bad guys bad guying and trying to out bad guy the other bad guys, while dealing with their own bad guy problems.

the bad guy

is you

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Walt is absolutely an anti-hero. That is the term to describe a protagonist who lacks what we traditionally acknowledge as heroic qualities to varying degrees.

If we want to have a hero/anti-hero discussion with regard to Walter White/Heisenberg as part of a larger discussion on the duality of the character, sure, but to try and say Bryan Cranston's character is not an anti-hero belies a lack of understanding of what an anti-hero is

While he lacks heroic qualities, he also lacks any morally redeeming actions. It's not like he's McNulty in The Wire, doing bad things for the right reason - no, he's doing bad things because he's lost control over himself.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Thank god Vince Gilligan has never pulled a David Chase and gone all "it's your fault for watching the show!!! you are all walter white!!!"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Thank god Vince Gilligan has never pulled a David Chase and gone all "it's your fault for watching the show!!! you are all walter white!!!"

The series hasn't finished yet. We don't know if he'll do that. I hope not.

• Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Larlar wrote: »
    Honestly, my understanding is that it's acceptable to use "antihero" as a synonym of "villain" in instances where the villain is the protagonist. But I'm not an English major so I'm just going to put this down and go play in the street.

I do have an English degree and you are correct. An antihero can be a protagonist who would normally be thought of as a villain since "villain" is used for an antagonist, not a protagonist. A purer idea of a antihero is the protagonist who does terrible things for a heroic motive (Walt from the first couple of seasons). But the idea of antihero can absolutely be used for a villain protagonist (like Lucifer in Paradise Lost).

Edit: Bother. I should take the time to read all the posts before rushing to throw in my $0.02. I see that several people have agreed with you already. Well then. I shall flounce away with my humanities degree now.

N1tSt4lker on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I have actually heard someone say "what that wasn't rape they're married"

No.

I'm sory bry I don't believe a real person could say this.

Marital rape wasn't even against the law until about 20 years ago....

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Guys, the show is about bad guys bad guying and trying to out bad guy the other bad guys, while dealing with their own bad guy problems.

the bad guy

is you

The bad guy was inside us all along?

• Options
    N1tSt4lker wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    I have actually heard someone say "what that wasn't rape they're married"

No.

I'm sory bry I don't believe a real person could say this.

Marital rape wasn't even against the law until about 20 years ago....

Or last Tuesday in WA state

• Options
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Walt is absolutely an anti-hero. That is the term to describe a protagonist who lacks what we traditionally acknowledge as heroic qualities to varying degrees.

If we want to have a hero/anti-hero discussion with regard to Walter White/Heisenberg as part of a larger discussion on the duality of the character, sure, but to try and say Bryan Cranston's character is not an anti-hero belies a lack of understanding of what an anti-hero is

While he lacks heroic qualities, he also lacks any morally redeeming actions. It's not like he's McNulty in The Wire, doing bad things for the right reason - no, he's doing bad things because he's lost control over himself.

None of that is inherent to the anti-hero though! Certainly, there are instances where the anti-hero does horrible things but for good and noble intentions to enhance the tragedy of their character, but it is not a defining characteristic of the anti-hero archetype

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    ITT no one knows what an antihero is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    me

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013

None of that is inherent to the anti-hero though! Certainly, there are instances where the anti-hero does horrible things but for good and noble intentions to enhance the tragedy of their character, but it is not a defining characteristic of the anti-hero archetype

Its to the point though where I really don't like Walter and find nothing redeeming about him. Are anti heroes really someone you wish were dead for the sake of everyone in the fiction.

mrt144 on
  • Options

Its to the point though where I really don't like Walter and find nothing redeeming about him. Are anti heroes really someone you wish were dead for the sake of everyone in the fiction.

Sure, why not?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I find your definition way too broad.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    who unbanned you

who ok'd this decision

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Websters defines antihero as a province in eastern Canada, between Hudson Bay and the Great Lakes; pop. 9,914,200; capital, Toronto.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    oh no

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    who unbanned you

who ok'd this decision

breaking-bad-season-5-king.jpg

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Well the definition is pretty broad for anti hero which is part of the problem.

I mean you can nail it down to two main types. The anti hero that you want to see succeed. Such as Walter at the beginning before he did <your breaking point here> all the way to the current version of him where he is clearly a bad guy and we are watching the downfall of him.

• Options
    I find your definition way too broad.

It is a very broad, I agree. I believe that it doesn't serve any purpose to narrow the scope though.

The more interesting discussion is how Walt/Heisenberg's character and his associated beliefs fit within both the world of Breaking Bad and how that in turn serves as an examination of the real world, in my opinion at least.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    an anti-hero is someone who lacks traditional heroic characteristics, typically possessing characteristics that are the opposite of standard behavior associated with heroes, while remaining the main character of a story

bam

This discussion has been closed.