As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Breaking Bad

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Dark Raven that second part of your spoiler is my thinking on it

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yeah but remember
    Borock's just a kid. Just like medication or drugs, surely because of him not having the same constitution as a grown man the poison would react faster within his system

Gatsby on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Actually, no, wait, it doesn't add up:
    We've been told time and again that the ricin would leave the victim feeling fine for a couple days. Then they'd "get the flu" and die. Jesse still had the cigarette that morning, but that's besides the point; Brock would have to have been poisoned a couple days prior to this.

...unless he really does just have the flu.

i also read in a review that it may be
    the fact that Brock is a kid and his metabolism works faster? i don't know. i could easily see this being a very darkly ironic mistake

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    My best friend and I have talked it over and we think this will be the result of the series finale
    everyone dies in a bloody, tragic mess and the only thing left standing is the Pontiac Aztec.

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    i'm glad i am not the only one discussing this because it is 4AM my time and everyone is asleep.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Holy crap. This episode.
    I was so freaking tense during the Jesse/Walt scene.
    This show is going to make me go grey, I swear.

Also
    So, I am with the people who think
    Walt did it.

I know there's a lot to go against it, mostly "motivations" and such. But look at it this way;

Why did Gus stop on the roof? He was thinking things through, analyzing the situation. It could just have been him thinking about why Jesse insisted on Gus coming to the hospital, but I think he was analyzing the broader situation.

It was heavily inferred that Gus has indeed had Jesse' place bugged, and that he knew all about the Ricin plot. So he understood what was going down with the kid, but he didn't come out and say it or accuse Walt of doing it; probably because it was news to him. If Gus had done it, surely he'd have lead Jesse to think Walt had done it?

Personally, I think the hospital is the first Gus had heard of it, and he started putting it together in the car park scene: Walt poisoned the kid because he doesn't trust Jesse any more. That in itself is so unlike Walt, that Jesse would believe he didn't do it.

...I am bad at articulating my thoughts.
    No, I think that is actually a very plausible theory. And far more brutal than Gus doing it.
    After the last few minutes of last week's episode, I don't think this is the same Walt that we're seeing. At all.

• Options
    Linksville wrote: »
    ERmlh.jpg

Also Walt is the one that poisoned the kid.

I think we all need to remind ourselves of this because I am still laughing after seeing it for the 20th time.

• Options
    MacGuffinMacGuffin Registered User regular
    Actually, no, wait, it doesn't add up:
    We've been told time and again that the ricin would leave the victim feeling fine for a couple days. Then they'd "get the flu" and die. Jesse still had the cigarette that morning, but that's besides the point; Brock would have to have been poisoned a couple days prior to this.

...unless he really does just have the flu.
    He's a child. Ricin poisoning works faster in kids.

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i don't see it being explained that easily

i guess we'll see, but i'm gonna say that super-gus is more plausible than evil-walt here

Yeah, I'm in your boat.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    New episode spoilers
    Walt didn't know that Gus was aiming to kill him until after he had seen Jesse and Brock that night, so there's no logical point in the timeline for Walt to poison Brock. The entire first half of this episode displayed Walt accepting his fate, stowed away in his house, waiting for the end. There was no scheming left in him at that point. Also, we just watched Gus poison an entire cartel meeting. That's some pretty damning evidence.

However, it doesn't feel like something that Gus would do. He's too meticulous to leave something like that open to chance. We see the preparation that he puts into everything he does. Poisoning Brock just seems so... desperate. The scene in the parking garage re-affirms this. If the poisoning was part of his plan then why did he sense that something wasn't right? I find it more likely that Brock stole the lucky cigarette out of Jesse's pack and ended up sick because of it. I think earlier in the season when Jesse first made the lucky cigarette Walt made a comment about not smoking it. Also, if he were to inhale the ricin it might act faster then if he ingested it. It's a good angle for the story, too. Our two main protagonists are acting on false information. Whatever the case, it's nice to see Team Walt/Jesse working together again.

1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular

ukiyo e wrote:
    New episode spoilers
    Walt didn't know that Gus was aiming to kill him until after he had seen Jesse and Brock that night, so there's no logical point in the timeline for Walt to poison Brock. The entire first half of this episode displayed Walt accepting his fate, stowed away in his house, waiting for the end. There was no scheming left in him at that point. Also, we just watched Gus poison an entire cartel meeting. That's some pretty damning evidence.

However, it doesn't feel like something that Gus would do. He's too meticulous to leave something like that open to chance. We see the preparation that he puts into everything he does. Poisoning Brock just seems so... desperate. The scene in the parking garage re-affirms this. If the poisoning was part of his plan then why did he sense that something wasn't right? I find it more likely that Brock stole the lucky cigarette out of Jesse's pack and ended up sick because of it. I think earlier in the season when Jesse first made the lucky cigarette Walt made a comment about not smoking it. Also, if he were to inhale the ricin it might act faster then if he ingested it. It's a good angle for the story, too. Our two main protagonists are acting on false information. Whatever the case, it's nice to see Team Walt/Jesse working together again.
    I think Brock is just sick, and Walt and Jesse are super-paranoid because the house of cards is starting to fall.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    To be fair to Jesse
    a kid you see as your son is in hospital, sick, in the ICU and you discover the poison you hid in your cigarette pack is gone.

I think most people would jump to the same conclusion.

• Options
    Gatsby wrote:
    To be fair to Jesse
    a kid you see as your son is in hospital, sick, in the ICU and you discover the poison you hid in your cigarette pack is gone.

I think most people would jump to the same conclusion.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Jesse isn't justified. But he clearly isn't acting on logic either.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    ukiyo e wrote:
    New episode spoilers
    Walt didn't know that Gus was aiming to kill him until after he had seen Jesse and Brock that night, so there's no logical point in the timeline for Walt to poison Brock. The entire first half of this episode displayed Walt accepting his fate, stowed away in his house, waiting for the end. There was no scheming left in him at that point.
    At no point in Crawl Space does Walt actually mention what happened in the desert to anyone. But in End Times Saul knows about it. So Walt was at least in contact with him before Saul contacted Jesse, possibly putting the plan in motion.

• Options
    I really don't think Brock is just sick. Timed with the disappearance of the ricin cigarette, it almost seems beneath the writing of this show to pull a fake-out for something like that. There's no worthwhile gain.

Similarly, the style of narration Breaking Bad has always employed (coupled with ukiyo's first-paragraph assessment) leads me to believe there's no way Walt did it. That, too, doesn't currently seem like it would make a whole lot of sense. We've never been misled on a scale of this magnitude before. Never before have we been tricked as viewers. That's not to say they couldn't do it, but it's just never been this show's MO.

It's certainly possible Gus didn't do it, and that maybe it was just an accident. But assuming Jesse is right in his belief that he had the cigarette that same morning, I'm pretty entrenched in the belief that this is all Gus' doing.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Brock suffering from ricin like symptoms and the ricin disappearing from Jesse's cigarette pack being unrelated incidents would be way too much of a coincidence.

Edit: what Larlar said.

ukiyo e on
    1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT

• Options
    Larlar wrote:
    I really don't think Brock is just sick. Timed with the disappearance of the ricin cigarette, it almost seems beneath the writing of this show to pull a fake-out for something like that. There's no worthwhile gain.

Similarly, the style of narration Breaking Bad has always employed (coupled with ukiyo's first-paragraph assessment) leads me to believe there's no way Walt did it. That, too, doesn't currently seem like it would make a whole lot of sense. We've never been misled on a scale of this magnitude before. Never before have we been tricked as viewers. That's not to say they couldn't do it, but it's just never been this show's MO.

It's certainly possible Gus didn't do it, and that maybe it was just an accident. But assuming Jesse is right in his belief that he had the cigarette that same morning, I'm pretty entrenched in the belief that this is all Gus' doing.

That's all very true, but you gotta keep in mind that this show is constantly throwing curve balls. So, why not meta-surprise us?
    anyhow, it's way too difficult to tell what the hell happened to Brock, so it's not as though anyone knows anything for certain. Which is why I love this show.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    DeliciousTacosDeliciousTacos Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    My favorite theory is that
    Brock smoked the cigarette/got into the ricin on his own and now Gus and Walt are each trying to use it to their own advantage. Gus having planned it out from the start seems a bit too convoluted. Why would he assume Jesse would blame Walt?

Anyway, the finale is titled Face Off

so what I think is going to happen is that Walt will undergo an experimental procedure to switch faces with Gus in order to infiltrate his organization

DeliciousTacos on
  • Options
    Larlar wrote:

That's all very true, but you gotta keep in mind that this show is constantly throwing curve balls. So, why not meta-surprise us?
    anyhow, it's way too difficult to tell what the hell happened to Brock, so it's not as though anyone knows anything for certain. Which is why I love this show.

It would be one hell of a way to end the season, that's for sure.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    My favorite theory is that
    Brock smoked the cigarette/got into the ricin on his own and now Gus and Walt are each trying to use it to their own advantage. Gus having planned it out from the start seems a bit too convoluted. Why would he assume Jesse would blame Walt?

Anyway, the finale is titled Face Off

so what I think is going to happen is that Walt will undergo an experimental procedure to switch faces with Gus in order to infiltrate his organization
    Nononono, you got that all wrong. Walt will get the face of Nicolas Cage, who will look like Gus, who in turn is going to look like John Travolta. Travolta is going to look like Walt Jr. and there won't be enough pancakes for two of them.

• Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    Damn this episode just flew by.

• Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I really doubt it was Walt, he didn't have the time or opportunity to set it up, not to mention it clashes with him deciding to just give up and wait for Gus to make his move.

When Jesse shows up at his house, he doesn't suspect for a moment he's there to kill him. And when Walt realizes why anyone would do such a thing, he shows admiration for Gus' cunning ("It's brilliant"!) because he would never have thought of something like that.

As much of an asshole Walt is, poisoning the kid to manipulate Jesse fits more with Gus' character, who they've been building into a ruthless supreme badass since the beginning of the season.

Odin on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    i am in the middle of season two. the episode i just watched ended with jesse in a house. if you have seen this season you probably know what house i am talking about
    squish OHFUCK
    i super need to watch more of this show

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    hoodie13 wrote:
    i am in the middle of season two. the episode i just watched ended with jesse in a house. if you have seen this season you probably know what house i am talking about
    squish OHFUCK

That entire episode is unsettling.

1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Larlar wrote:
    Larlar wrote:

It would be one hell of a way to end the season, that's for sure.

Larlar, the only thing I know about this show is that I know nothing about what this show is going to do.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    hoodie13 wrote:
    squish OHFUCK

that is easily one of my favorite episodes. It's so weird that
    in a really messed up, roundabout way, Jesse seems like he'd be a really great dad.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Oh, I gave up legitimately trying to predict events since...

...hm. Maybe I never started.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    If Walt did poison Brock, I find it hard to believe that he could put on such a convincing show for Jesse. The man is a terrible liar.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Walt was a terrible liar.

Heisenberg has been shown to be hella ballsy.

"This. Is not meth." Remember?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    That...isn't a lie.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I mean he has nerves of steel when he needs em.

Walking into Tuco's place with
    a bag of explosives. And then throwing a chunk of explosive powerful enough to wreck the joint at his own feet?

That took testicles.

While he is, for the most part, a coward (and awful liar) - he is totally capable of this stuff. With enough prep time.

And the end of Crawl Space certainly looked like plans were a' cooking.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    yeah I don't really buy that Walt did it either because to me that would make Walt as good of an actor as Bryan Cranston which I don't think makes sense :P

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Although,
    there's that bit where he apologizes to Skylar and says something like "Yeah, I'll just say that. That'll work."

By the way, that line was the perfect encapsulation of everything that is Walt.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I dunno, I want to buy into the "walt did it" theory because that makes the gun spinning moment brilliant.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Went over to the Breaking Bad subreddit for funny memes, ended up reading some theories.

Are these people watching the same show that I am watching?

1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    I dunno, I want to buy into the "walt did it" theory because that makes the gun spinning moment brilliant.
    Not quite getting what the point of Walt doing it would be. The Season 4 finale was supposed to be the series finale, yeah? How could they end it on the note of "Oh, yeah Jesse, I killed the kid... but we've got 44 minutes to end this on a positive note."... aaaand, scene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Season 4 finale was finished prior to the news about them being signed on for another season?

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    ukiyo e wrote:
    Went over to the Breaking Bad subreddit for funny memes, ended up reading some theories.

Are these people watching the same show that I am watching?
    This is how I feel when reading some of the theories both here and on reddit.

H6J2F.jpg

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    GPIA7R wrote:
    Not quite getting what the point of Walt doing it would be. The Season 4 finale was supposed to be the series finale, yeah? How could they end it on the note of "Oh, yeah Jesse, I killed the kid... but we've got 44 minutes to end this on a positive note."... aaaand, scene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Season 4 finale was finished prior to the news about them being signed on for another season?
    A 5th season was never in doubt. There was discussion of whether or not it would be moved to another network. I don't think Vince Gilligan had the intention of framing the finale of season 4 as a series finale.

1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    GPIA7R wrote:
    44 minutes to end this on a positive note

That's kind of a big assumption to make here

This discussion has been closed.