As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] Graves Mechanic Preview up.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Robes wrote:
    I have to say, the more dominion I play the more I'm starting to dislike it. Some of that gloss is starting to wear off.

Roll with a PA premade and do draft mode. My win rate is about 80% when in a group with everyone on vent. It's a lot of fun and refreshing.

I think my problems with it are two fold right now.

1) Every team seems to be the same couple champions. I know this is partly just the meta being its usual retarded self, but it also seems like there is a substantially larger pool of champions that are just terrible as opposed to summoners rift.

2) No one I ever get seems to know what in the fuck they're doing. They never defend bot and always rush for that 4th node when the entire enemy team is up.

Now I know 2 will go away with time and yeah premades would help, but I have little hope for 1.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I buy thornmail a lot on dominion because autoattackers are still popular for whatever reason. It's allowed me, as a pretty frail support, to literally go toe to toe against Yi, Trynd, Ez, and a whole host of other people I really should not win against without kiting and stuff.

But I don't, I just sit there, shield myself, throw my zephyr, and they impale themselves on my armor.

If their team is primarily physical damage, and they have at least one mobile autoattacker, I would say it's a fantastic item, on Dominion, since it will basically allow you free reign of that champion's zone of influence.

On summoner's rift I'll get it if and only if there's a fed lifesteal ad carry that I need to help counter. Otherwise I would go with something like a guardian angel.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The other thing I forgot to mention is that Thornmail doesn't reflect against a lot of AD casters, as it only triggers on auto attacks and abilities with the on-hit effect.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    So basically, it reflects things like Nasus' Siphoning Strike, Ezreal's Mystic Shot, and Gankplank's Parley, but not Riven's Broken Wings or Mundo's Cleavers?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Robes wrote:
    I have to say, the more dominion I play the more I'm starting to dislike it. Some of that gloss is starting to wear off.

Roll with a PA premade and do draft mode. My win rate is about 80% when in a group with everyone on vent. It's a lot of fun and refreshing.

I think my problems with it are two fold right now.

1) Every team seems to be the same couple champions. I know this is partly just the meta being its usual retarded self, but it also seems like there is a substantially larger pool of champions that are just terrible as opposed to summoners rift.

2) No one I ever get seems to know what in the fuck they're doing. They never defend bot and always rush for that 4th node when the entire enemy team is up.

Now I know 2 will go away with time and yeah premades would help, but I have little hope for 1.

1) It's mainly the meta. AD in-your-face champions are the norm, mainly because it is primarly champion vs champion in dominion and not just minion farming. Hopefully it will change. I like to play ryze.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    Really guys? We're gonna argue about the usefulness of a situational item for three pages at the beginning of a new thread? We've also lost sight of the argument. Thornmail is good for countering glass cannon auto-attackers. That's what it's made for. Even if it's up against a lifesteal master yi, it mitigates his lifesteal so you still have a chance at killing him. Why are we still arguing like silly geese?

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Had a pretty awesome moment in the last game as Riven. I was low on health and being chased by two enemies who were low on health but had more than me. I ult waved them, teleported between them, used Riven's group stun and got a double kill. :)

• Options
    edited September 2011
    It might be good on Skarner and Rumble I guess. Tough, focusable AP. For most AP casters though, survivability is better gotten by spending the extra 1k on Zhonya's.
    SuperRuper wrote:
    Really guys? We're gonna argue about the usefulness of a situational item for three pages at the beginning of a new thread? We've also lost sight of the argument. Thornmail is good for countering glass cannon auto-attackers. That's what it's made for. Even if it's up against a lifesteal master yi, it mitigates his lifesteal so you still have a chance at killing him. Why are we still arguing like silly geese?
    That fourth sentence looks a lot like you joining in with the 'argument'. Which, frankly, is more of a discussion, one of those things we do when playing a game.

I really don't see why we shouldn't discuss the benefits and drawbacks of items within the game in the topic devoted to that game, so long as we do it politely.

Bethryn on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Thornmail is extremely good, it's just extremely niche.

It's barebones. You pay for lots of physical mitigation and a great anti-ad proc, but it provides zero hp, cdr, mana, ancillary stats of any kind. Because of its specificity it's not universally useful.

Woah woah woh, back the fuck up there, you're not posting like a HERO there anymore.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    sry bro

wat i mean was

ur all shit l2p

i numero uno

stack thornmail smoke week errday

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    But we did prove that, for a single slot, it is the most gold efficient source of raw armor. And because it applies the thorn effect before armor reduction it still works well in conjunction with any other defensive item and even if the thorn aura is reduced by magic resistance, it is still additional damage caused.

It requires a larger gold investment from the auto attack champ to comfortably get past thornmail's armor and passive than it costs the owner to purchase it.

You can argue all you want about how there are better defensive options in general, but you are not going to prove that this niche item is an ineffective choice at it's role.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    SuperRuper wrote:

Welcome to the internet, you can leave your brain in the closet by the door.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Just went 14/0/3 as Zilean on Summoner's Rift. Bombs everywhere.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Hmmm,

After all this discussion, maybe I have been overvaluing Thornmail. I'd been trying the Thornmail+Giants belt to top off my Corki build, just because having 3-4 AD casters/gangplanks on the enemy team is so common in Dominion. I might just try Atmas for a while though, seems quite worth it.

• Options
    AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    Watching Regi playing on stream. He easily carried his bad teams as Kat for 3 games.

But he is a huge douchebag. Good thing he plays at his parents home over the Internet and not at some public place. He would get this face smashed in if he said those things in person.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    all this discussion about thornmail prompted me to bring back a new and exciting twist on magic pen mundo

faCOd.png

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Robes wrote:
    1) It's mainly the meta. AD in-your-face champions are the norm, mainly because it is primarly champion vs champion in dominion and not just minion farming. Hopefully it will change. I like to play ryze.

ryze is pretty good on dominion!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Ryze is great on Dominion, just don't buy Tear.

Thornmail against Vayne and Irelia eh? 8D

• Options
    SuMa.LustreSuMa.Lustre Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    thornmail is basically like boots of swiftness

they attract bad players like moths to a flame

and i'm not going to say they are totally bad items, but 99.99% of the time they are not the optimal choice for the situation.

SuMa.Lustre on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote:
    Just went 14/0/3 as Zilean on Summoner's Rift. Bombs everywhere.
    Yessssss

I told you about Zilean

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the only boots I get instead of mercs are cdr boots. sorcs/zerkers/swiftness honestly blow. oh you spent 750g and gave up tenacity for spell pen? I just canceled that out with a 400g null mantle.

• Options
    You could say attacking Mundo was an agonizing experience.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote:
    the only boots I get instead of mercs are cdr boots. sorcs/zerkers/swiftness honestly blow. oh you spent 750g and gave up tenacity for spell pen? I just canceled that out with a 400g null mantle.
    If you don't especially need the CDR (you're getting the cdr items anyway or it doesn't help you that much) and you absolutely need to worry about positioning, swiftness is not a bad purchase.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options

son u silly

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    Jars wrote:

I get swiftness 90% of my games with Akali. Can we talk about how this might not be the optimal play? I'll start.

Against magic users I will sometimes start with null mantle instead of boots. In this case, I will sometimes build that into mercs. Other times I just save it until I build my Lichbane. So in this instance, I could see an argument for mercs. I will however note that I don't really see the benefit of mercs. Inevitably after I get a few kills their team is scared to shit of me and they never leave each other. So with mercs or without mercs if I get stunned I'm probably dead. Silence pretty much kills me as well unless I already had my invisibility thing placed. Reducing those effects by 1/3 will not save me. I'm open to counter arguments.

With swiftness, it helps me get early kills against boot 2 speeders before team fight phase.

I could see the benefit of cooldown reduction. I don't really buy any cooldown reduction items but that should help me get an extra combo off faster which might net me a kill where otherwise I couldn't get one.

When I finally get my ryjali's 3rd item, the boot speed of swiftness is kind of useless. I will admit that.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    zerks are like the only boots i buy on auto-attacking AD carries

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Bethryn wrote:
    Ryze is great on Dominion, just don't buy Tear.

Thornmail against Vayne and Irelia eh? 8D

Acutally my first buy as ryze is tear and level 1 boots in dominion. I find the scaling damage boost helps me keep up without having to go back and buy. And near the end of the game, if it's one of those close ones, the tear is charged and ready to be transfored into a staff or manamune.

I wouldn't reccomend tear for any other champion in Dominion.

Robes on
  • Options
    You can make a case for Karthus as he can start filling it up at the fountain but even on him I would just grab catalyst and dominate bottom.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Tear is good on Karthus and Cass, since they can charge 100+ during spawn.

On Ryze I've never seen it go higher than 400 (and that's farming bot, which is to say, sacrificing playstyle and map presence for extra mana which isn't amazing). You get more bang for your buck out of the early RoA, followed by Frozen Heart and Void Staff/Deathcap imo.

• Options
    scattered_Fenscattered_Fen Registered User regular
    Talith wrote:
    How would you want to play that out? :)

Jungle riven vs jungle riven? Top lane? Dominion? I'd probably take a custom page just to crush another Riven :D

If you knew who I was you'd probably care less.

But custom game @ mid would be coo or something. maybe get an in house going with us as mids

• Options

son u silly

what this duder said.

jars you crazy. but really though, p noob what you said.

• Options
    My god, is it you, LoL Batman??!

• Options
    thornmail is basically like boots of swiftness

they attract bad players like moths to a flame

and i'm not going to say they are totally bad items, but 99.99% of the time they are not the optimal choice for the situation.

what if you are Garen? Huh smarty pants lust-re, HUH!? HUH!?

• Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote:
    You can make a case for Karthus as he can start filling it up at the fountain but even on him I would just grab catalyst and dominate bottom.

So how come you don't grab Catalyst for Ryze at the start? I think the level proc is quite amazing for the early advantage.

Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    hmmm I go tear sorc boots frozen heart abbysal staff odyn's veil hextech revolver to will of ancients. I basically get all the tanky/mana items.

• Options
    Bethryn wrote:
    My god, is it you, LoL Batman??!

i am... the fart knight.

that is all the clues i can give.

• Options
    guys thornmail thornmail, mail of thorns with the mail on the end.

add a little mail with thorns and you gut urself a thornmail...mail... with thorns.

thornmail.

edit: hey super thornmail.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    sorcs are awful, awful boots and I enjoy when my lane opponent buys them because I will have an immediate advantage by getting mercs instead.

• Options
    sorcs are awful, awful boots

o

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I'm talking about Dominion. I think they stack nicely with abbysal staff. Swiftness might be better if I Have to kite like jax or something though~

This discussion has been closed.