As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Walking Dead] RIP Season Two

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote:
    then they would run out of ammo and have a very large, very useless hunk of metal attached to their SUV and alerted every zombie within 5-10 miles that there is something very loud for them to shamble towards.

You know how much ammo it would have taken to mow down the 30-40 slow moving targets. Not a whole helluva lot.

I mean, I completely understand it from a story telling perspective. I get it. It was incredibly tense while they were all hiding. But I have a hard time with that kind of suspension of belief when it comes to things that should be common sense given the rest of the fictional world's mechanics. Most of the world's population have become zombies. Sure, I'll go along with that. Someone trying to survive said zombies walks right past a perfectly good entrenched machine gun and my brain cramps up.

Listen, they have guns. They aren't "mowing them down" as you say because that would cause every zombie in a 20 mile radius to begin walking their way. It's much smarter and much safer to stay concealed/dispatch them silently.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Pi-r8 wrote:
    Buttcleft wrote:
    I still don't understand why in the earlier episodes there was not literally mountains of dead in front of the tanks and machine gun emplacements before they got over run.

Cause those .50 cals in the sandbag bunkers and the .50s and the .308 coaxials on the tanks should have utterly decimated entire hordes.

Yeah that sort of thing bugs me a lot about most zombie movies. The zombies are slow, stupid, and unarmed- pretty much the easiest target in the world. The only thing that makes them dangerous is their huge numbers. But almost anyone could kill at least one zombie before being eaten, and anyone with access to military hardware could take down a big pile of zombies. So it seems like the zombies' numbers would be decreasing really fast. It just makes no sense that they'd be able to increase in numbers so quickly- they don't seem to stand a chance.

A real zombie thing would require panic to take over. The fact that there is only the outbound lane of Atlanta packed on the freeway suggests that this is what happened. It's an infrastructure problem. Many could be infected before anything was mobilized. Thousands given that it takes time to manifest, one can be infected while still alive. This makes hospitals ticking bombs.

Although you would expect it to eventually end like Shawn of the Dead did.
    Just when they think they are totally screwed the military suddenly appears and shoots all the zombies.
    A prepared and fortified position would be nearly impenetrable by zombies.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Cade wrote:
    Wow: AMC’s The Walking Dead came back stronger than ever. Sunday’s season two premiere just rolled up 7.3 million viewers.

The 90-minute Walking Dead return is not only up compared to last fall’s Halloween-night debut, but it’s finale — so this is a series high. Last year, if you’ll recall, the numbers started big and actually managed to improve throughout its six-episode run (the finale delivered 6 million viewers).

It's a graveyard smash!

This isn't a surprise at all; there is literally nothing else like it on TV.

I can't tell if I want this to pave the way for more comic book shows, or more horror-related shows.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    You certainly would have thought they would have picked up at least a few M16's outside of the CDC.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Pretty sure it's generally assumed that zombie fiction doesn't exist inside zombie fiction, with the exception of Zombieland and Dead Rising.

Feed and Deadline are novels by Mira Grant in which George Romero is basically the savior of humanity for popularizing zombie movies, because the zombie apocalypse basically has the same rules.

They're totally awesome books.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote:
    You certainly would have thought they would have picked up at least a few M16's outside of the CDC.

Or sidearms. Or grenades, considering the one they had saved all their lives.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Cade wrote:
    Wow: AMC’s The Walking Dead came back stronger than ever. Sunday’s season two premiere just rolled up 7.3 million viewers.

The 90-minute Walking Dead return is not only up compared to last fall’s Halloween-night debut, but it’s finale — so this is a series high. Last year, if you’ll recall, the numbers started big and actually managed to improve throughout its six-episode run (the finale delivered 6 million viewers).

It's a graveyard smash!

I can't tell if I want this to pave the way for more comic book shows, or more horror-related shows.

Probably both I.E. Powers, American Horror Story.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote:
    then they would run out of ammo and have a very large, very useless hunk of metal attached to their SUV and alerted every zombie within 5-10 miles that there is something very loud for them to shamble towards.

You know how much ammo it would have taken to mow down the 30-40 slow moving targets. Not a whole helluva lot.

I mean, I completely understand it from a story telling perspective. I get it. It was incredibly tense while they were all hiding. But I have a hard time with that kind of suspension of belief when it comes to things that should be common sense given the rest of the fictional world's mechanics. Most of the world's population have become zombies. Sure, I'll go along with that. Someone trying to survive said zombies walks right past a perfectly good entrenched machine gun and my brain cramps up.

Listen, they have guns. They aren't "mowing them down" as you say because that would cause every zombie in a 20 mile radius to begin walking their way. It's much smarter and much safer to stay concealed/dispatch them silently.

Ok, I don't really want to make a huge point of this because I've already said that I completely understand it from a storytelling perspective. But all I'm saying is that the Japanese lost 100,000 soldiers during the battle of Okinawa alone. And they were coordinated, armed, and using cover. Large slow moving mobs of unarmed enemies don't really stand a chance against modern weaponry.

It's something I know I need to ignore to enjoy the genre, but I just have a hard time doing so. It's more of a personal issue than an issue I have with the show.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    World War Z addressed the issue of why the National Guard might lose against zeds. If the big show happens before people cotton to the "headshots only" rule, the military is in for a bad day. Further, depending on the infection speed and how they handle wounded, you're looking at outbreaks behind firing lines.

The logistics are against the military in any conflict with zombies, particularly if they don't know the rules yet.

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    I'm glad that the start of season two wasn't them acquiescing to the whiners who hate the fact the show isn't the comic book exactly

seriously if you want TWD the tv show to be TWD the comic book, read the comic book. or at the very least hate the tv show for it's actual content over "it's not the comic book!"

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I am curious if any of the people arguing that a modern military would have any kind of problem with shamblers have ever actually been in the military? I ask because it's a laughable concept. The Army could just drive tanks around and not fire a shot.

Cabezone on
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    Rent wrote:
    I'm glad that the start of season two wasn't them acquiescing to the whiners who hate the fact the show isn't the comic book exactly

seriously if you want TWD the tv show to be TWD the comic book, read the comic book. or at the very least hate the tv show for it's actual content over "it's not the comic book!"
    Thank god its problems are actually based on the quality of the show rather than anything to do with the comic book at the moment.

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    Rent wrote:

Thank god its problems are actually based on the quality of the show rather than anything to do with the comic book at the moment.

well yeah the season two opener had problems but i would say outside the dumb church shit that twd is p much as strong as last season

• Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    I think that if a zombie uprising were to ever occur here in the real world it would never get to apocolyptic proportions, mainly because of all the zombie fiction. As people mentioned earlier (or maybe in one of the other Walking Dead thread here on PA) the main reason these things can reach these levels is because there is no zombie fiction in these worlds. At this point, with all the zombie fiction around, even those who hate horror movies or that whole genre know that to destroy a zombie you destroy the brain. The one thing that worries me is if we get zombies of the "28 Days Later" or Zombieland variety that can run and never get tired. Then it is a completely different ball game. If they can run, they might be able to climb. And then it's piss your pants time.

• Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Cabezone wrote:
    I am curious if any of the people arguing that a modern military would have any kind of problem with shamblers have ever actually been in the military? I ask because it's a laughable concept. The Army could just drive tanks around and not fire a shot.

If anything, I feel with the TV Show we're going to see later on that the Military does exist, but that they've only retreated behind the safety of probably mine fields and fixed defensive positions. To basically wait out the apocalypse. We did see in that prequel shot of what happened with Grimes and Shane at the hospital is that the military went through the hospital, shot everyone and everything that wasn't wearing a NBC mask, and when the walkers showed up they simply retreated.

Apart from that, the only other problem I see the military having is a lack of ammunition. Even then though, the military at first would probably struggle, but in the end would prevail once they learn how to fight the hordes off.

And as a soldier I loathe World War Z. Just another author who doesn't comprehend the effects that bullets and explosives do to the body. Bullets do break bone. They aren't magical things that cut your flesh and make you bleed. (well wait, they are but that's not the point) Did you know some bullets are designed to cause maximum damage to bones and muscles? In TWD these zombies play by the rules of physics. I mean, the zombie Hannah didn't magically grow legs and eat Grimes. No, she started crawling. You don't even need a head shot to kill the zombies in this universe. Breaking their legs, arms, and even a few well placed shots to their torsos would be enough to paralyze a zombie. Even if you hit their spine, they're magical brain stem virus isn't going to self repair it to keep the zombie moving. It'll be a fish outta water essentially.

I wish science fiction writers would at least do some research on the effects of gun shot wounds.

Edit: If you want to see the effects of gun shot wounds to animals for reference youtube hunting with a .50 cal. The hunter in a specific film blows a 1 foot hole in a deer. And that's just with a single shot rifle. Imagine a Browning .50!

Waffles or whatever on
    edited October 2011
    Didn't the military chapter of World War Z focus on how heavy MGs and explosives tore the zombies apart, but that didn't end up mattering much because if the brain survived the zombie kept dragging on? I'm no trained killer or nothing, but intuitively that sounds about right.

reVerse on
  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    reVerse wrote:
    Didn't the military chapter of World War Z focus on how heavy MGs and explosives tore the zombies apart, but that didn't end up mattering much because if the brain survived the zombie kept dragging on? I'm no trained killer or nothing, but intuitively that sounds about right.

How does something with a blown out spine keep dragging on again? No Wizards or Sorcerers allowed in this debate otherwise I expect to see Magicians on flying carpets fireballing hordes of zombies with their troll faces on. -_-

Waffles or whatever on
    edited October 2011
    Waffen wrote:
    reVerse wrote:

How does something with a blown out spine keep dragging on again?

With its arms? Damnit, Waffen, I'm a forum poster, not a doctor.

reVerse on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Cade wrote:

It's a graveyard smash!

Probably both I.E. Powers, American Horror Story.

I don't know what Powers is, but American Horror Story got slammed by Ain't it Cool, so I didn't give it a watch.

When the guy who loved Godzilla USA and the Star Wars prequels slams something, it's got to be a whole other level of terrible.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote:
    I think that if a zombie uprising were to ever occur here in the real world it would never get to apocolyptic proportions, mainly because of all the zombie fiction. As people mentioned earlier (or maybe in one of the other Walking Dead thread here on PA) the main reason these things can reach these levels is because there is no zombie fiction in these worlds. At this point, with all the zombie fiction around, even those who hate horror movies or that whole genre know that to destroy a zombie you destroy the brain. The one thing that worries me is if we get zombies of the "28 Days Later" or Zombieland variety that can run and never get tired. Then it is a completely different ball game. If they can run, they might be able to climb. And then it's piss your pants time.

Of course, all the zombie fiction might wind up costing us countless lives if it turns out to be inaccurate.

Imagine if the zombie outbreak occurs but headshots don't kill them immediately. Say you have to destroy a specific section of the lower intestine where a reanimating parasite is lodged. Or if the parasite can move through the body looking for a safe haven and continue to animate the body from wherever it might be.

Or you run into what I think the scenario is supposed to be in TWD and the Romero stuff where everybody everywhere is infected, so the thousands of people that die of natural causes every day are getting up and killing more people.

The idea of a viral outbreak spread only by other zombies is interesting, but I also think the least threatening of the different zombie fictions that I've seen. 28 Days Later they're not technically zombies, but still scary as fuck. Of course, I can't imagine them getting out of England in that scenario because the infection is just too damn fast.

reVerse wrote:
    Waffen wrote:
    reVerse wrote:

How does something with a blown out spine keep dragging on again?

With its arms? Damnit, Waffen, I'm a forum poster, not a doctor.

Duh

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    These are definitely "magic zombies" not "science zombies" like 28days variety

I'm hoping the military is around in some capacity (more or less covering their own asses and "waiting out" the zombies) as being "Defeated" by zombies is absurd, The zombies are easy to lure away, and not hard to escape from.

Soldiers could be armed with bows and arrows and get 50 to 1 zombie to soldier ratios
    TheCanMan wrote:

This is zombie fiction, where soldiers weren't trained on firing on point targets, like in WWZ where they actually switched to bolt action rifles because soldiers are too incompetent to use the fire selector on their rifles.

override367 on
    @Taramoor: I see your logic. but at the very least we would know that it makes sense to quarantine anyone bitten, if not cut their bodies up and burn them. While the exact mechanics of defeating a zombie may change, the tactics and mindset we would know would save lives.

edited October 2011
    The problem with zombie fiction in general is this reverence for slow zombies just because the one good movie Romero ever made had slow zombies in it. Slow zombies aren't scary or threatening because you can always just outwalk them. Yeah, they've got that whole "inevitability of death" thing going for them, but they're not a credible threat for humanity.

Fast zombies would fuck us up three yards to Sunday, though.

reVerse on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    These are definitely "magic zombies" not "science zombies" like 28days variety

I'm hoping the military is around in some capacity (more or less covering their own asses and "waiting out" the zombies) as being "Defeated" by zombies is absurd, The zombies are easy to lure away, and not hard to escape from.

Soldiers could be armed with bows and arrows and get 50 to 1 zombie to soldier ratios

If there are any soldiers and I find it hard to believe they are all gone, likely they fell back to a defensive position somewhere.

In other words they would have had to abandon the civilians if not outright kill them to get rid of them to keep themselves alive in some cases since ordinary people are bound to follow them where ever they went and defending on their resources they might not be able to take care of those people. That's one of the overall problems with the concept of the zombie break out, unless you make some very hard decisions and realize you can't save everyone or else the infection spreads.

Cade on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    That's why 28 days later was so great, the military established a quarantine and said "sucks to be you if you're trapped there"
    reVerse wrote:
    The problem with zombie fiction in general is this reverence for slow zombies just because the one good movie Romero ever made had slow zombies in it. Slow zombies aren't scary or threatening because you can always just outwalk them. Yeah, they've got that whole "inevitability of death" thing going for them, but they're not a credible threat for humanity.

I'm not so sure, in the first engagement with the Japanese in WW2, a handful of US soldiers took on thousands of Japanese who were armed with both guns and swords and banzai charged. Now a living person is less resilient than a zombie, but zombies don't have the ability to shoot back.

One thing that bugs me, nobody ever tries to armor or guard their delicious meats. You'd think there'd a rush to reproduce that chainmail people use to film sharks or wear something akin to bomb squad gear.

After all, a human can't bite through a great many lightweight cheap materials. Christ even wearing sweaters in layers and chaps would make you a very difficult meal.

override367 on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The battle of Yonkers in WWZ went south because the military was loaded up on that future warrior stuff that popular a while ago. Video feeds, intercoms and what not. Armor piercing bullets that do little tissue damage.

The way he sets it up is that it all went to shit because they were prepared the wrong way, technology played against them when the soldiers started getting feeds from positions that were run over and they started panicking. That entire chapter is about how the army failed so hard but it was under specific murphy's law circumstances.

PSN: Honkalot
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    That's why 28 days later was so great, the military established a quarantine and said "sucks to be you if you're trapped there"
    reVerse wrote:

I'm not so sure, in the first engagement with the Japanese in WW2, a handful of US soldiers took on thousands of Japanese who were armed with both guns and swords and banzai charged. Now a living person is less resilient than a zombie, but zombies don't have the ability to shoot back.

One thing that bugs me, nobody ever tries to armor or guard their delicious meats. You'd think there'd a rush to reproduce that chainmail people use to film sharks or wear something akin to bomb squad gear.

After all, a human can't bite through a great many lightweight cheap materials. Christ even wearing sweaters in layers and chaps would make you a very difficult meal.

I'd imagine that wearing layered sweaters, chainmail or even a moderately heavy leather coat in Georgia in the middle of summer would probably kill you faster then a shambling horde of zombies.
    Especially if you're short of clean water or food.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Doesn't mean I am going to walk around in a T-shirt.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Oh, and if I was smart and didn't care about other survivors it might screw over, I would set up an air raid siren with a timer somewhere. Like get every air raid siren in Atlanta to howl for a couple of weeks on end. Every Zombie in the state of Georgia stands around downtown Atlanta looking for the tasty meat that isn't there.

Thats pissed me off in S1. That Asian guy driving the car with the stereo blaring right back to the survivor camp.... Fucking moron.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    It's kind of hilarious how every single zombie-related thread ends up in the exact same arguments, right down to the progression of the argument.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    In the comics, just dying is enough to turn you into a zombie. Doesn't matter how you die, even if it's decapitation, if it wasn't a headshot you're a zombie. It's a quick turn around too. Then there's the whole virus aspect, presumably some people turn into zombies before they die. It probably quickly becomes a swarm situation where you're being eaten from both outside and within.

• BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote:
    It's kind of hilarious how every single zombie-related thread ends up in the exact same arguments, right down to the progression of the argument.

Hilarious in a very Sysiphus kind of way, yes.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2011
    They should try diplomacy with the zombies. It may just be a simple misunderstanding.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
    Shotgun diplomacy is the best diplomacy.

• Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    Rent wrote:
    Rent wrote:

well yeah the season two opener had problems but i would say outside the dumb church shit that twd is p much as strong as last season

That doesn't mean a whole lot when the latter half of the first season was borderline terrible.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote:

Now do that in an urban setting like downtown Atlanta.
    "Soldier, go into that deserted hospital and make sure it's secure!"
    ".... can I take the tank in there?"

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote:
    so I guess every single character suffered serious brain damage during the off season.
    Cunt Mom: How dare you not act like a father figure to my son when I told you to stay the fuck away from us?!
    Everyone: Ok, sure, little boy, come with us and traipse through the woods that are invested with zombies. Surely you'll bring a lot to the table.
    Girl's Mom: How dare you run off after my daughter and do your best to save her and yet fail to compensate for her obvious severe learning ability???
    Bitchy Blonde: I'm not going anywhere until you give me back my gun. *immediately turns around and walks into the woods without her gun*
    Country redneck dude was the only one that showed any kind of snap at all.

I loved the episode, but everything you said here is totally right and I thought the same things while watching it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    so I guess every single character suffered serious brain damage during the off season.
    Cunt Mom: How dare you not act like a father figure to my son when I told you to stay the fuck away from us?!
    Everyone: Ok, sure, little boy, come with us and traipse through the woods that are invested with zombies. Surely you'll bring a lot to the table.
    Girl's Mom: How dare you run off after my daughter and do your best to save her and yet fail to compensate for her obvious severe learning ability???
    Bitchy Blonde: I'm not going anywhere until you give me back my gun. *immediately turns around and walks into the woods without her gun*

I loved the episode, but everything you said here is totally right and I thought the same things while watching it.
    Carl wouldn't have been shot if he stayed on the highway. Girl's mother is a battered wife and is emotionally unstable, dignity gone - her daughter is the only thing she has left. Bitchy blond was blowing off steam and not really serious with her ultimatum.

• DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

Carl wouldn't have been shot if he stayed on the highway. Girl's mother is a battered wife and is emotionally unstable, dignity gone - her daughter is the only thing she has left. Bitchy blond was blowing off steam and not really serious with her ultimatum.
    Cunt Mom is definitely in the wrong here. She has grabbed the idiot ball with both hands. Either she still has feelings for Shane, and thinks this is the best situation to be fucking around in, or she thinks if Shane does not act like she thinks he should Rick is going to known she fucked around. Personally I wanted to hit her with a clue x 4 when they decide to start searching the cars and she says "but its a graveyard!" Oh now we should all die of starvation, dehydration, or exposure because god forbid we loot some dead bodies.

As for the bitchy blonde I see her point. She was initially pissed about whats his fuck trying to protect her, next thing we have the men all deciding who can and cannot have a gun because LAWL sexism, finally we have Rick handing his wife a gun. You might as well have lit a sign that says "We do not trust you at all, and think you are an emotionally unstable anchor dragging us down."