As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Walking Dead] RIP Season Two

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Why does Carl feel the need to get within arms reach to shoot the zombie?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote:

Emulate the way his dad offed Zombie-Sophia?

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    He went out there to shoot the zombie that he didn't know existed yet?
    It's too much of a leap for you to grasp that he found the gun and thought "I'll show them I'm not a little kid. I'll shoot a walker! That'll show them that I am important, too! " and heads into the woods to find one.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Probably for the same reason I felt the need to hold the lightgun up to the screen when I played Duck Hunt as a kid.

• Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Because it's interesting? He feels safe enough because it's trapped? Because he's a reckless child?

Take your pick, Carl's twelve!

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Will someone step up to take Dales place or will the group become a hardened bunch of killers? Who knows! But it'll be interesting to find out.

Good question!
    They're setting up Andrea for that role, I think. Given her past as a constitutional lawyer, she theoretically has the rhetorical skills.

They've done a lot of character development for Andrea, and seeing the guy who made her decide not to commit suicide die horribly like that will be significant for her, especially after he'd been pointing out how utterly fucked their decisionmaking had been.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    It's too much of a leap for you to grasp that he found the gun and thought "I'll show them I'm not a little kid. I'll shoot a walker! That'll show them that I am important, too! " and heads into the woods to find one.

No... because when he finds one it's too convenient of a plot device and could have been portrayed better. /sarcasm

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

If he went out into the woods alone with the specific purpose of finding a zombie and shooting it, he's a suicidal little git. But I'll be fair and acknowledge it's the kind of screwed up thinking a kid would do.

On the other hand, his first reaction upon seeing a zombie was to turn tail and run. He only stopped when he realized it was stuck. I'd take that as a small clue that he wasn't looking for a zombie to kill. Otherwise... why run?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular

Or, he's just a little dip that likes to play with guns. He ran when he first saw the zombie. He clearly wasn't on some mission to prove himself and was just aimlessly wandering/pouting about the 10 adults who had yelled at him.

• Options
    He got scared when confronted with the monster he was searching for?

I don't know about you, but I was a stone-cold killa/fearless 12 year old boy.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

If he went out into the woods alone with the specific purpose of finding a zombie and shooting it, he's a suicidal little git. But I'll be fair and acknowledge it's the kind of screwed up thinking a kid would do.

On the other hand, his first reaction upon seeing a zombie was to turn tail and run. He only stopped when he realized it was stuck. I'd take that as a small clue that he wasn't looking for a zombie to kill. Otherwise... why run?

Natural reaction? Even professional *insert dangerous job* have to talk themselves into *doing dangerous thing* from time to time, so why not a kid who's never faced the boogeyman?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    He got scared when confronted with the monster he was searching for?

I don't know about you, but I was a stone-cold killa/fearless 12 year old boy.

Yeah man, me too! All those hours playing DOOM made me into a level headed sharpshooter.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Or, he's just a little dip that likes to play with guns. He ran when he first saw the zombie. He clearly wasn't on some mission to prove himself and was just aimlessly wandering/pouting about the 10 adults who had yelled at him.
    Clearly.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I don't know about you guys, but I stone murdered like 20 gang bangers when I was 12. Carl be a candy ass mama's boy.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    I can't believe that anyone actually thinks its plausible for a recently nearly dead 12 year old to fuck around with a zombie. Carl is a complete pussy of a kid and the shooting would make him even more scared to do things on his own.

Either way, there's too much discussion and too much hyperbole going on in this thread for this stupid a show.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    I can't believe that anyone actually thinks its plausible for a recently nearly dead 12 year old to fuck around with a zombie. Carl is a complete pussy of a kid and the shooting would make him even more scared to do things on his own.

Either way, there's too much discussion and too much hyperbole going on in this thread for this stupid a show.

You know you don't have to read the discussion if you think it's not worthwhile... right? It won't hurt my feelings any if you aren't here to tell me how much you dislike the show.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I simply don't understand some people in this thread. Posters go on and on about how stupid people are in the show and how shitty the writing is but continue to watch it week after week? Seriously, I wouldn't waste my time watching a show I hate. Beyond that, you armchair survivalists who would never make any mistakes ever should really just stop watching the show altogether. Having read the comics, I guarantee this show is going to frustrate you more and more as it goes on. I get it that this is the internet, people are free to post their opinions... but the constant shitting all over this thread makes it pretty difficult to have a productive discussion about it.

See, the thing is I really did enjoy the first season, and I think the show has a lot of promise with it's concept, but that doesn't change the fact that I've been pretty badly disapointed by the turgid pacing of the show.

If I'd been one of the network execs, I would have (in light of the budget issues) kept the series at 13 episodes and made the writers work within the limits of that time frame, since it would have kept the pace:drama:action ratio in balance. Further, reducing the number of episodes would have increased the budget for the remaining episodes and had more things happening in the episodes with more of the characters as opposed to the seemingly endless cycles of indecision that passes for drama.

I'm not expecting every episode to be stuffed with action sequences and vast hordes of walkers. I don't expect it to be like dead rising or zombie land or the bus sequence in the remake of night of the living dead. I don't need that. But I do need the protagonists to behave in a logical manner and actually be decisive in their actions. Hell, I keep watching because I keep praying that this week things will be better. This week we'll see Rick make a decision (right or wrong) and stick to it. This week we'll find out what T-dog has been doing while he's been offscreen for 4 or five episodes and it'll be awesome! This week Lori will say or do something that inspires the rest of the group.

One of the few truly redeeming qualities of this season has been Glen's arc, and how his relationship with Hershel's daughter has slowly grown. Hell, If they did a spin off about the two of them having a relationship with T-Dog and Sophie's mom as company I'd watch the shit out of that.

I'm really hoping that the guys at AMC actually take these sorts of complaints into consideration because If the third season is like this I'm simply done with the series.

• Options
    edited March 2012

Carl is hardening and disconnecting from reality slowly but surely. If anything, having survived a mortal wound has given Carl an inflated ego. He already thinks his dad can't be killed (as he said in season 1), so it isn't much of a stretch that he thinks the same of himself.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Carl is hardening and disconnecting from reality slowly but surely. If anything, having survived a mortal wound has given Carl an inflated ego. He already thinks his dad can't be killed (as he said in season 1), so it isn't much of a stretch that he thinks the same of himself.

Honestly, I'm baffled at how he didn't simply shoot the zombie from the other side of the river.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

Honestly, I'm baffled at how he didn't simply shoot the zombie from the other side of the river.

Why do people do a ton of really dangerous shit today? Curiosity

• Options

Considering how shitty he is at throwing rocks, he probably realized he was going to miss. :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Considering how shitty he is at throwing rocks, he probably realized he was going to miss. :P
    :^:

For that matter though, why was he throwing rocks when he has a frikkin gun?

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular

If he had used the gun, I guarantee that there would be continued calls of "Carl so stupid!" as the sound draws zombies. The kid has to grow up into perfection right the fuck now despite any instruction and guardianship from one of the more experienced survivors when they are working through their own acceptance of this new world or just end up zombie chow food, that would please the hell out of the detractors, right? :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options

He was messing around. He is a kid.

Kinda like poking a dead body with a stick.

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I don't even know how to respond.

Carl playing with a zombie who he has seen first hand eat people, alone, not long after he was almost killed, is beyond uncharacteristically stupid.

Curious - which episode was this in?

IIRC - when Carl and Sophia find a zombie near the Atlanta camp, it doesn't eat anyone. They run and get help and the other survivors kill the zombie. When zombies attack the Atlanta camp, Carl doesn't witness the attacks on Ed, Amy, or Jim. And no one sees Sophia get bitten/infected, Carl just sees her run off into the woods and disappear. And when Beth (coma girl) is attacked after the barn scene, she isn't bitten.

So exactly when did Carl witness a zombie eating someone?

He does, OTOH, see an entire barn-ful of zombies get shot to shit by people with guns. And he has a gun with him. All the people he knows who've been attacked (Ed, Amy, Jim, Sophia, Beth) up to that point were unarmed. I'm assuming he doesn't know about Otis, and
    the Dale attack
    hadn't happened yet.

I don't remember an episode where he explicitly sees it, but I just figured he has by now. Even if he hasn't the point still stands. It doesn't make sense.

Why would he have figured that danger out?

His parents are pollyannas who are trying to protect him from everything in life. When he was recovering from the gunshot/surgery, Rick told him they'd already found Sophia. They even protect him from non-zombie facts of life. Lori didn't tell him she was pregnant. Heck, Rick never even gave him the old "Bird & the Bees" talk.

Rick and Lori treat Carl like an infant mentally - although they apparently treat him like a fully-grown adult physically, allowing him to wander all over the woods alone. They're like the ultimate latchkey parents.

Further, how is it "uncharacteristically stupid" of Carl to bear-bait the zombie? Is there some evidence that Carl is a cautious, risk-averse kid?

Doesn't seem that way to me. The Carl I've seen on the show is a kid who wants to pet a wild deer, with complete disregard for the possibility that the deer might attack him. Or even if it doesn't attack him, it's probably swimming with ticks and will give him Lyme disease. And the whole reason Carl's even in that deer situation to begin with is because he asks to keep looking for Sophia - ie, traipsing through zombie-infested woods - instead of heading home. He also plays with the weapons he finds, and has Rick teach him to shoot.

Are you judging Carl's actions by Carl's standards, or by some other character you're imagining? Because what I've seen of Carl on the show is that he likes danger, and he likes guns/weapons. I'm not seeing what's so uncharacteristic about him taking Daryl's gun or baiting the zombie.

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Also, Carl throws rocks like a little girl.

... you DO understand that is an actor in zombie makeup and not a real zombie, right?

It's almost as if this isn't reality and shows have these things called special effects or something. I mean, I don't know about you, but whenever people throw things in other shows and movies, sometimes they make it look like they're not throwing things like they're being extra careful not to hurt the extra. Mind blowing, I know.

I imagine the real reason is, hey, he's a kid actor. He probably was in drama camp and never played little league.

Applies to pretty much all sports-type action in TV/movies that don't employ actual athletes. I still laugh at how the guys in Hoosiers practically have to stare at their hands to dribble a basketball, when actual players shouldn't be looking down at the ball once they're past age 6.

• Options

If he had used the gun, I guarantee that there would be continued calls of "Carl so stupid!" as the sound draws zombies. The kid has to grow up into perfection right the fuck now despite any instruction and guardianship from one of the more experienced survivors when they are working through their own acceptance of this new world or just end up zombie chow food, that would please the hell out of the detractors, right? :P

Shooting the zombie would have been kinda stupid, but then nobody seems to have a problem firing guns or driving cars all over the place even though those things are all kinds of stupid in their own right.

I sure as hell wouldn't have given him nearly as much shit as I am for throwing rocks at it and then getting almost within arms reach and *not* shooting it or informing his folks about it.

• Options
    the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ok, I saw it. Carl is a Lori level of stupid.

re: zombie = dangerous?

I don't remember an episode where he explicitly sees it, but I just figured he has by now. Even if he hasn't the point still stands. It doesn't make sense.

Rick and Lori treat Carl like an infant mentally - although they apparently treat him like a fully-grown adult physically, allowing him to wander all over the woods alone. They're like the ultimate latchkey parents.
    yap. Agree 100%.
    There is just no way he doesn't know that zombies EAT people.
    And yeah, he's treated and written like a writer's idea or a retarded 6 years old Michael Myers. I find unbelieveable that Lori (the same who lets her man make decisions and stays home to wash dishes) lets him just wander about during the goddam zombie apocalypse while there's an armed group of wandering rapist raiders in the zone who are specifically looking for the farm.
    What the hell was she doing, ironing a shirt? When he
    popped up during the execution to cheer on his father me and my wife looked each other and went from "WTF?" to laughing. It made little to now sense. Lori? NOWHERE.
    good thing his real mom, Shane, took care of him.
    Rick and Shane worry, discuss, fight about and care for Carl (and the new baby). They have the real husband/wife relationship, not Rick and Lori.

I'm sorry for
    Dale
    , the show will suffer for his loss.

the_Frollo on
  • Options
    WappaduWappadu Registered User regular
    The cow that was dying got attacked by Carl's zombie, right? Did CDC guy say the zombie virus only affects humans? Zombie animals would be terrifying in an already scary world. Kamikazee zombie birds, Monty Pythonesque killer rabbits, and the list would probably only get more terrifying from there.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Watched the episode and you know what, I liked it, oh no the horror!

Random thoughts:
    Poor Dale, he definitely was the heart of the group. Did I believe him to be right? No. He might have had the correct moral choice but sadly as we've seen so far those with morals tend to get others hurt or worse, dead. It doesn't help when you got to not only worry about zombies but other people who have proven to be as worse as they undead. Will Andrea step up and take his place as the moral focus? I'm betting she'll be a bit and yet willing to do what needs to be done when it calls for it, she's basically half Shane and half Dale.

Lots of people are calling Carl a dumbass and I can see why. I mean let's face it, most kids are, but then most people usually are no matter the age as well. He's been surrounded by death, moving in constant fear, lost his friend, is hurting by her death, his whole world has changed and at that age when a person is still developing it's going to fuck him up. Then you got him no doubt knowing half the time what's up because let's face it, tents are not good walls people to block out sound. He's observant, he knows the deal with what's going on and that's causing him to be conflicted. He knows the world has gone to hell. He doesn't want to feel helpless, he doesn't want to feel like he always has to run. But he doesn't understand the responsibilities, the weight of the actions the others take on themselves. The kid is changing and growing, but what into? If I had to bet on it, I would say the ultimate survivor one day and that doesn't necessary speak well for his humanity but then those who are otherwise will likely die.

The zombie, yes the thing was stuck in the mud and when it became stuck it eventually just didn't care to try and get out after awhile. Is that so shocking? We've seen zombies just stand around swaying back and forth without any aim or goal until they saw a person. Then when Carl came it got motivated, it saw food. It began to twist and move around and eventually it got free because it wanted it's damn food! Those of us who got stuck in real mud before know how difficult it can be to get out, the zombie was in the same way. Yes it coming out of the blue later on to kill Dale when he turned around was a bit eh worthy but the whole thing was effective and made you fear for Dale. Also on another note did anyone else first think that cow was zombified instead of just torn open? Wouldn't that be funny.

Rick, the man has basically everything thrown onto him, he has to deal with all the drama, keep everyone alive and you can see why it would make him unsure at times. Not all his calls have worked out and the Sophia thing is likely weighing on him greatly. He feels responsible, he believes he's responsible for everyone. Their failure is his failure. It's going to mess with a persons mind having to deal with all that, it's not surprising the way he acts even if at times stupid, how many of us could do better? When the world has gone to hell with the living as big a threat as the dead rational calm thinking between everyone is not going to happen, you only need to look at the stupid shit people do in life to see that. Too many seem to have this view point of everyone working together and always doing the smart thing, but placed in their situation I bet most would be cracking up.

In the end I felt both sorrow and happiness about Dale's death. Why? Because I liked his character, even if his moral outburst can be grating I see the worth in the character and what he says and he's always trying to do what's right for everyone, you know if someone was to stand by you, it would be Dale. From day one he's been there for them all. So why am I happy about him dying? Because that's far different then what most people thought they knew would happen, even if he requested to be written out due to all the backstage goings on it showed again what you think you know might not be what happens here. Some Walking Dead purist might scream bloody murder at that but I appreciate a good surprise, a good shock and things going different at times is a pleasant surprise. It makes you worry and fear that anything could happen to anyone, that the comic is not a safe bet to tell you when someone is going to necessary go. In a zombie show don't we want to be shocked and surprised.

• Options
    also? the same zombie that could not
    walk out of the mud or catch a boy
    , now can
    dismember a cow and disembowel a human with his bare, rotten hands?
    What did he use, pressure points? Hokuto no Zombie?

God, I love bitching on the internet so much.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Overall, the show is good. When you begin looking at specific episodes though, your opinion of the show can vary pretty widely. The problem, I think, is consistency.

Think of the mid-season finale. That was a great episode. The previous five episodes were pretty lackluster in comparison because of how slow they moved. I have a feeling that we're going to have a similar problem playing out the fallout from this episode.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    yeah, the show is mostly pretty good. It's pretty awesome, at moments. That's why the shitty episodes or the moments where the writing sucks dead cow udders stick out so much.

the_Frollo on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    the_Frollo wrote: »
    , now can

A sleeping cow is incredibly easy to sneak up on. Hell, you don't even have to sneak

It's also rather easy to stick you hand into a stomach and pull the skin apart

Veevee on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    , now can

Did you bitch when this:

nina100617_0940385.jpg.

Happened in Shaun of the Dead? Or shout AWESOME? Because really, zombies disembowling people with their bare hands has been the status quo for a long time now. Bitching about this of all things, is something a goose would do.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    One of you guys needs to hold still while I test this "opening your guts up with my bare hands" thing.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    One of you guys needs to hold still while I test this "opening your guts up with my bare hands" thing.

I'm pretty sure Deadliest Warrior tested it and showed that tearing open guts with bare hands is realistic.

• Options
    I'm going to guess that a cows hide is probably a little harder to rip than a humans skin, and having had to rip the skin of a recently dead cow I can say it isn't hard

Any hunters hear that can contribute about other animals?

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    I was just thinking that I wanted to suggest it to the Mythbusters.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Ok, I saw it. Carl is a Lori level of stupid.

re: zombie = dangerous?

yap. Agree 100%.
    There is just no way he doesn't know that zombies EAT people.
    And yeah, he's treated and written like a writer's idea or a retarded 6 years old Michael Myers. I find unbelieveable that Lori (the same who lets her man make decisions and stays home to wash dishes) lets him just wander about during the goddam zombie apocalypse while there's an armed group of wandering rapist raiders in the zone who are specifically looking for the farm.
    What the hell was she doing, ironing a shirt? When he
    popped up during the execution to cheer on his father me and my wife looked each other and went from "WTF?" to laughing. It made little to now sense. Lori? NOWHERE.
    good thing his real mom, Shane, took care of him.
    Rick and Shane worry, discuss, fight about and care for Carl (and the new baby). They have the real husband/wife relationship, not Rick and Lori.

I'm sorry for
    Dale
    , the show will suffer for his loss.

Look, Lori's got more important things to do than watch her kid.

That's been established. It's like being shocked that Merle rode a motorcycle and was racist. Or that T(oken)-Dog is just the token black guy.

Sure, she likes to talk a big game about how they have to protect the kid and shelter him from this horrible world, but that would take time out of her busy day of washing clothes, cooking and being a bitch.