As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLEFIELD 3] Open Beta out now

• Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote:
    Yeah, when I heard that the whole "you can't quit unless you're actually playing" was in previous BF games and it's still here, I was just stunned. How does DICE think this is a good way to do things?

Same as any of their other decisions. They just /do./ And everyone who criticizes them is just being ungrateful and doesn't realize how very very hard they're all working on their game with very long hours due to deadlines. You know, like every big game released in the modern era. But them its like, super serious. Super.

ken2.png
  • Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    billwill wrote:
    So, shit. I get home and find out someone has hacked my Xbox Live account and charged almost two hundred dollars to it.

My gamertag is now under investigation by Xbox and I'm locked from the account for up to 25 days... she said they were going to throw me a free month of Gold, but I haven't seen it yet.

Does anyone have one of those free months of XBL they'd be willing to throw my way? It'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

Oh shit, my account was hacked too and they charged 10,000 points worth of money (I have no idea how much that is and they said theyve already canceled one of the purchases, no xbox live purchases have shown up on my card...). They didnt offer me any free xbox live time, but I still have access to my account so...

Oh, and why did EA's Gun Club just now email me letting me know about the BF3 beta? About a week late for its own show...

Ah, that's good they caught it in time for you. All the charges are on my card now. =/ And 10,000 points would be like 150 dollars, I think.

I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    So the tac light... I actually don't mind being against someone with it. It's a giant shoot here sign. I can see how it's effective in tight areas when you have multiple people supporting you. Until I face an organized group though, individuals with the light are delicious kills.

• Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    regarding quitting the game you can just alt-f4 it

• Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    pabh wrote:

It is very reasonable for the best way to close out a game to be to have windows kill it. This is a good design decision. That is kind of missing the point, don't ya think.

ken2.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Sladvan wrote:
    pabh wrote:

It is very reasonable for the best way to close out a game to be to have windows kill it. This is a good design decision. That is kind of missing the point, don't ya think.

I dunno, when I want to shut off my desktop I just pull the plug.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    This game needs a commissar class. I want to be able to just straight up execute gutless cowards when they don't push up and take the objective. I guess smoke could work, but that means I give up heals and I don't want to do that.

And seriously, how many times do you have to die in the same goddamn hallway before you grow a few brain cells and, I dunno, maybe go another way? I've seen too many dudes just waste ticket after ticket in the hallway to MCOM B3. Or in the deep maintenance shaft on stage 2.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    So the tac light... I actually don't mind being against someone with it. It's a giant shoot here sign. I can see how it's effective in tight areas when you have multiple people supporting you. Until I face an organized group though, individuals with the light are delicious kills.

I turn mine off almost all the time...I feel like when I'm coming around a corner or through a hallway in the bottom of metro it's like "GET READY!" I wish it defaulted to "off" so I don't have to do it on every life, or so that I don't blind anyone I spawn on.

But yeah, turning it on when you're going through some of those small rooms is pretty boss.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Johannen wrote:
    Sniper sun glint, or "The Blinding Beam Torch of Obviousness" as I call it is something they need to fix. Fantastic idea but horrible in it's implementation. Instead of being that you get a quick glint on screen when a sniper is looking down their scope it's like they've just got a tactical torch on.

Some of these people are actually using the tactical flashlight on their rifles... in bright sunlight.

• Options
    mr_mich wrote:

I turn mine off almost all the time...I feel like when I'm coming around a corner or through a hallway in the bottom of metro it's like "GET READY!" I wish it defaulted to "off" so I don't have to do it on every life, or so that I don't blind anyone I spawn on.

But yeah, turning it on when you're going through some of those small rooms is pretty boss.

I wish it would remember previous light/laser sight/burst fire settings. I mean, its not hard or anything to hit v 3 times, but it would be nice to not have to.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote:
    Johannen wrote:
    Sniper sun glint, or "The Blinding Beam Torch of Obviousness" as I call it is something they need to fix. Fantastic idea but horrible in it's implementation. Instead of being that you get a quick glint on screen when a sniper is looking down their scope it's like they've just got a tactical torch on.

Some of these people are actually using the tactical flashlight on their rifles... in bright sunlight.

Exactly. the glint is a lot less obvious. Than you have an idiot halfway across the map with his flashlight on advertising to everyone where he is. Easy kills.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    Hey what's a good program to edit clips from FRAPS?

455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    The sniper glint is pretty ridiculous to me, but I ignore that fact because once I went scopeless with my sniper rifles I never looked back. Plus it makes it so easy to pick off those silly rock humpers.

I do put the flashlight on my bolt-action rifles though, just for kicks. Sometimes I forget to turn them off, though. They should really default those to off.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Sladvan wrote:
    pabh wrote:

Alt-Enter, if the mouse is trapped in the window then switch windows, then click the X.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Sladvan wrote:
    ronzo wrote:
    Yeah, when I heard that the whole "you can't quit unless you're actually playing" was in previous BF games and it's still here, I was just stunned. How does DICE think this is a good way to do things?

Same as any of their other decisions. They just /do./ And everyone who criticizes them is just being ungrateful and doesn't realize how very very hard they're all working on their game with very long hours due to deadlines. You know, like every big game released in the modern era. But them its like, super serious. Super.

Yeah, DICE actually is a special company exempt from criticism despite a tall stack of truly bad ideas.

My personal favorite is wanting to customize a weapon so I have to open up the weapon customization menu, but only after dying. Then I have to pick which class I'm customizing for. Then I have to find the weapon I want. Then I have to open up another menu to pick the options I want. Then I have to back out a couple more menu levels to get back to deploying.

For BC2, I swapped options around all the time because it only took a few seconds. Now it's a clumsy, horrible system which has you hunting down the option you want instead of giving them to you in common-sense drop-down menus all at once. The new menu system actively discourages changing anything because it's just a pain in the ass.

EDIT: I love sniper glint. Picking off those snipers is usually pretty easy unless they're waaaaay in the back; it's even better when you headshot them with the iron sights on a sniper rifle because they work so much better that way. The semi-auto ones do, anyway.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    I'm on the 360 - does anyone know a way to tell who is talking in chat? I'm pretty sure I remember how to mute people using the pop-up interface, but with no way to see who is talking, that's not very useful. I just had to switch off chat completely tonight when some dude just kept yelling "lady" for an entire match straight.

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    MegaMek wrote:
    Who thought it would be a good idea to make the killcam completely worthless, but make it impossible to access any menus while it's up?

Because that time is when you can
    Johannen wrote:

On top of that I find the destructibility of the environments massively disappointing. In BFBC2 you could literally topple buildings, therefore destroying cover completely and stopping it from turning into a completely forced close encounters set up throughout the maps.

The fact that when a game finishes you can't quit the game until you have gone into the next game is insane and ridiculous.

Kill cams are an epileptics nightmare hell.

They toned the glint up from alpha, I could see it toned down, but it really helps prevent whole game hill humpers.

If you are on PC the destructibility has been both turned down for buildings and turned off for environment. Also the total destruction of buildings still happens just not on the 4 buildings you can get into on Rush mode Metro, for obvious gameplay reasons. Since there is no ingame menu, hit alt-enter and click the x, then find a new game.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    fuck all of you that were using the UMP tonight

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Oh, and is something wrong with spotting system right now or is the average player just completely incapable of using it? Because it seems like the only spotted players are the ones I spot.

• Options
    I'm gonna use it as soon as I unlock it which is probably never because I don't play enough.

But I would use it. All the time.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Oh, and is something wrong with spotting system right now or is the average player just completely incapable of using it? Because it seems like the only spotted players are the ones I spot.
    Dunno about the former, but that latter is definitely true

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    How do you spot on 360 :(.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote:
    How do you spot on 360 :(.

back

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Ever since I unlocked the IR scope I've been spotting like crazy since you just ADS scan around and hit Q when you see a bit of red.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I usually up front with the shotgun and have, literally, no time to spot. Just shoot,shoot,shoot,shoot.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Comparing the BF3 kit selection interface to the BC2 is kinda silly. In BC2 you only chose your weapon and that's it. This time around your weapon has 3 slots, you have your perk, your secondary and aaaaghh. Actually, on the squad spawn screen you can choose between default weapon loadouts quickly.

But yes, not being able to do this while alive is teh dumb.

• Options
    I'm gonna ADS all over her ADS and then we're gonna get in our ADS and ADS out of there.

Have no fucking clue what ADS is every time someone uses that acronym.

• Options

The system is broken, if youre including the players who are supposed to be spotting as part of the system. Otherwise it works fine.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote:
    I'm gonna ADS all over her ADS and then we're gonna get in our ADS and ADS out of there.

Have no fucking clue what ADS is every time someone uses that acronym.

Aim down sight

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Can some one possible give, or refer me to, a step by step on how to get Party Join to work in Battlelog? Because I must be missing something as nothing ever happens when we join by party.

• Options
    There is an acronym for that? Lol has ruined us.

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:

The system is broken, if youre including the players who are supposed to be spotting as part of the system. Otherwise it works fine.

You also have to be spot on to get mans unlike BC2.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Satsumomo wrote:
    Comparing the BF3 kit selection interface to the BC2 is kinda silly. In BC2 you only chose your weapon and that's it. This time around your weapon has 3 slots, you have your perk, your secondary and aaaaghh. Actually, on the squad spawn screen you can choose between default weapon loadouts quickly.

But yes, not being able to do this while alive is teh dumb.

Crysis came out before BC2 and had an excellent interface which let you choose something like 9 different options on a given weapon; it even did it so well that you could make the changes in a couple of seconds ducked behind a rock.

Obviously, BF3 isn't a game I think people should be able to modify their weapons on the fly for, but having an interface considerably worse than the one for BC2 is just such a bizarre step backwards. At the very least, the system should show me all the options at once instead of one at a time.

EDIT: For the spotting stuff, yeah, I know you have to more accurate now. *I* never have any problem spotting players aside from the fact that the beta won't let me remap spot to one of my mouse buttons, but I never see spotting done by anybody else. Which I don't get, because it helps both yourself and your team. I get spotting points all day long for kills I wouldn't have gotten anyway and the team gets an easier time of things.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    MrDelish wrote:
    fuck all of you that were using the UMP tonight

<---Guilty as charged.
    bf32011100320423942.jpg

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    The m249 with foregrip, extended mags, and ammo spec is hilarious. 600 rounds.

Just strollin, holdin down that trigger.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    MegaMek wrote:
    Who thought it would be a good idea to make the killcam completely worthless, but make it impossible to access any menus while it's up?

Because that time is when you can

Except that you can't.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Great games tonight fellow platoon members. Those rounds at the end when we were all on the same team were as awesome as always.

When you have a moment, please visit your soldier pages and add your clan tag (PA) to your soldier names. Not sure where this displays in-game (if at all) but it would be nice to have set up for all of us.

Side question: How many people have volunteered to set up a server for us? Do we have one or two? If we only have one, I'll get the 2nd (if you think we need it).

• Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Hey a-holes give me a list of free video editing programs to edit my SIKxxProXAIMBotzXxX footage

Sup totp/botp bullshittery

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    Does anyone else get the feeling that their bullets are made of paper and unicorn kisses while anyone else has a clip of brimstone and demon semen?

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png