As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLEFIELD 3] Open Beta out now

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    My bullets are a swarm of bees buzzing around and randomly stinging people.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    That's because everyone else is using UMP.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    That's because everyone else is using a shotgun with slugs and the IR scope.

• Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    Don't forget the extended mags

455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Many kills do you need till you get the IR and slugs?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    proyebat wrote:
    Hey a-holes give me a list of free video editing programs to edit my SIKxxProXAIMBotzXxX footage

Sup totp/botp bullshittery

VirtualDub.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Many kills do you need till you get the IR and slugs?

100 (IR) and 90 (Slugs)

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    BerkshireBerkshire Earth Federal Forces MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So like, things a little more unstable tonight for anybody else on the 360?

Like...reset all my unlocks and now I'm falling through the map unstable? :(

I guess I don't mind unlocking stuff again (but I swear if I buy this game and that happens even once, I'm calling DICE and I will wait on hold and scream at every person I have to until my shit is given back to me, because fuck that), but falling through the ground is just bullshit that makes me not even want to play.

I know I sound entitled, but if their aim is to say "our game is miles ahead of call of duty, lol", the first impression they're making is not really helping their cause.

Edit: Battlelog still has me as a level 15, with all my stuff unlocked. What gives?

Berkshire on
    "And don't you ever stand for that sort of thing. Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    GT: FootlongKaPow
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    Sladvan wrote:
    pabh wrote:
    regarding quitting the game you can just alt-f4 it

It is very reasonable for the best way to close out a game to be to have windows kill it. This is a good design decision. That is kind of missing the point, don't ya think.

I dunno, when I want to shut off my desktop I just pull the plug.

alt-f4 is a "normal" way to shut down a Windows app. It's just that many game developers (myself included) are too damn lazy to handle it properly.

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    zilo wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Sladvan wrote:
    pabh wrote:
    regarding quitting the game you can just alt-f4 it

It is very reasonable for the best way to close out a game to be to have windows kill it. This is a good design decision. That is kind of missing the point, don't ya think.

I dunno, when I want to shut off my desktop I just pull the plug.

alt-f4 is a "normal" way to shut down a Windows app. It's just that many game developers (myself included) are too damn lazy to handle it properly.

It's much faster to do and far more appropriate for the inevitable rage-quit.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Think I may give up on this if they don't implement ping in the user list. Absolutely retarded that they don't. There's no way I'm getting one-shot with an M9 from across the map.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Yeah now that I am in Alaska, ping matters more than ever when browsing servers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So, I'm planning on renting a BF3 server. You guys have any recommendations on GSPs? My quick browsing seemed to point me towards Nuclear Fallout (www.nfoservers.com). Has anyone had any experience with them? They seem fairly pricey. Are there other providers that are just as good and cheaper? Danke.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Why is changing my loadout around the only thing I can't be alive to do? There's so much time watching the inside of my killer's throat, why not let me do it then!?

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    This game hates Vsync. I get less than 20 fps with Vsync forced on, but 60-100fps by allowing the application to control it.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yeah now that I am in Alaska, ping matters more than ever when browsing servers.

Where at? Also, get GCI as your ISP/Phone/etc. They're ultimate bro tier. I live in Ketchikan and have no problems finding servers <100 ping to play on and can easily play with my east coast buddies with no real issues.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    So, I'm planning on renting a BF3 server. You guys have any recommendations on GSPs? My quick browsing seemed to point me towards Nuclear Fallout (www.nfoservers.com). Has anyone had any experience with them? They seem fairly pricey. Are there other providers that are just as good and cheaper? Danke.

NFO servers are amazing, apparently.

• Options
    I've rented server space from Branzone before and was quite pleased with what I got and the admin functions available. I'm not sure what their BF3 rates are gonna be.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Taranis wrote:
    This game hates Vsync. I get less than 20 fps with Vsync forced on, but 60-100fps by allowing the application to control it.

Just the way VSync works, man. If your computer can consistently pump out frame rates higher than your refresh rate, VSync is great. Say your refresh rate is 60Hz (most LCDs are) and you're cruising along at 60 FPS and someone happens on screen that would cause your frame rate without VSync to drop to 59. With VSync turned on, rather than rendering at 59 FPS, it drops down to 30. If your frame rate would drop below 30, it'll render at 15 FPS. With VSync turned off, take notice of all the little dips below 60 and realize that each of those will, at least, halve your frame rate.

Note: This assumes double buffering. If triple buffering is an option, VSync is great all around.

PS: See this post for a more thorough explanation of VSync and all its pain.

• Options
    Where are most of the PA BF3ers? I'm leaning towards getting a server in Denver because a) it's in the middle of the east and west coast and b) I live in Denver, but if a vast majority are east coast or west coast, I'd probably get one there.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Where are most of the PA BF3ers? I'm leaning towards getting a server in Denver because a) it's in the middle of the east and west coast and b) I live in Denver, but if a vast majority are east coast or west coast, I'd probably get one there.

Are you the one that held a poll earlier, and everyone voted for like Zimbabwe? If so, Illinois is a good, central location. If not, be careful, someone else is already doing angry dome I think.

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Just finished a game where two guys spent both attacking and defending sticking C4 on the MAV and blowing it up on my team.

They failed to win. C4 doesn't have a arm/disarm Mcom button.

• Options
    Chicago is the best place ever to get a centralized server. I live in Alaska and both me and my east coast buddies ping great to Chicago servers, to the point that we actively hunt them down and favorite them in whatever game we're playing.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    I"m regretting putting all my time/exp into Infantry. What is the coolest thing they get?

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    proyebat wrote:
    Hey a-holes give me a list of free video editing programs to edit my SIKxxProXAIMBotzXxX footage

Sup totp/botp bullshittery

VirtualDub.

Screw vdub. Grab a 30 day of Premiere Pro.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Lux wrote:
    I"m regretting putting all my time/exp into Infantry. What is the coolest thing they get?

..Wut?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    After you get over 9000 kills you get the .50 BMG that allows you kill vehicles.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    mr_mich wrote:

Are you the one that held a poll earlier, and everyone voted for like Zimbabwe? If so, Illinois is a good, central location. If not, be careful, someone else is already doing angry dome I think.

I think the BF2 server we had (way back in the day) was in Chicago and it worked out pretty well. Either there or Omaha would do well (Omaha has stupidly beefed-up telecom infrastructure due to the former SAC base and all the telemarketing companies there).

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Chicago is the best place ever to get a centralized server. I live in Alaska and both me and my east coast buddies ping great to Chicago servers, to the point that we actively hunt them down and favorite them in whatever game we're playing.

I was getting absolutely crazy lag problems when I joined the Chicago server CarbonFire was on. :( I'm in California.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Lord Yod wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:

I was getting absolutely crazy lag problems when I joined the Chicago server CarbonFire was on. :( I'm in California.
    I'm in california and getting lag problems to california servers :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    So I found out that my XFX Radeon was sold (purposefully) misleadingly as a desktop GPU when it is in fact running the Mobility M98 chipset. This of course causes all the fucked up driver problems I've been having, as supposedly neither the latest desktop or notebook drivers will work. I've determined that the 11.4s are the last ones released that work. Am I missing out on a big performance boost with the preview 11.10s?

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Battlelog update. Interesting.

• Options
    Eh, nothing has really changed after the other Battlelog updates save for smoother functioning across a variety of browsers. I'll reserve my hype until I see an update that does something obvious.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Yeah, just the typical nightly BL update.

We'll see if they fix any issues or not....doubtful.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    Tzen wrote:
    So I found out that my XFX Radeon was sold (purposefully) misleadingly as a desktop GPU when it is in fact running the Mobility M98 chipset. This of course causes all the fucked up driver problems I've been having, as supposedly neither the latest desktop or notebook drivers will work. I've determined that the 11.4s are the last ones released that work. Am I missing out on a big performance boost with the preview 11.10s?

Wow, I thought XFX was a pretty good company.

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By2Ds-GG4-A

This game is goddamn hilarious

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Too bad they took away Caspian so we can't play/beta-test/laugh at the vehicles. :(

That video is hilarious though.

Suriko on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    NO TANK

DON'T HIT THAT ROCK

DON'T DO IT

• Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    Best part is when the tank hits him lol

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I think being able to play the same damn map over and over again and still having fun every single time really says something about this game.
    Hell, it's like 24/7 Dust servers in Counterstrike!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg