As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life is finally good. Simon's first birthday today!

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote:
    for reals though props to you for being stoic and awesome when your wife and kids need you the most

you are a better person then i could ever hope to be

My dad told me last night that we had probably done something wrong that offended God and are just reaping what we sow

But fuck him

Oh my goodness D:

What

What a freaking awfuldsfislhapifgjdfoia;kldfgadf

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Shit like that would get me to disown my parents.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote:
    for reals though props to you for being stoic and awesome when your wife and kids need you the most

My dad told me last night that we had probably done something wrong that offended God and are just reaping what we sow

But fuck him

Yeah

Fuck him, he's toxic.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    with the taste of your lips I'm on a ride

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    Fandyien wrote:

But fuck him

Yeah

Fuck him, he's toxic.

Completely agree. My parents are about as far right as I can tolerate, but I still love them. Moment one of them said some shit like this though it would be over. No, Mom and Dad, you can't come visit your grandkids. Why? Because you are fucking retarded and I don't want it rubbing off on my kids.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011

I've already pretty much done this with my dad (my folks are divorced and remarried), since he basically has been an abusive turd my whole life and is more concerned with supporting his new wife's kids than his own. Also this prosperity gospel bullshit. This isn't the first time he's told us that bad things happen to us, and we aren't always in a good place with regard to money because we aren't good people.

EDIT

I actually wouldn't have even called him if my wife hadn't insisted.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Well, now you know not to do that again, I am sorry your father is a heinous douchebag :-(

Oh man it is so scary for your wife and baby but medicine is pretty awesome now so they both have great odds

And this is probably terrible to say but... In the end, you can make another baby, but your wife... :-(

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote:

But fuck him

Huh, we must have the same father and not realize it.

(Don't listen to him)

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    You're right, Quoth, that was terrible to say. Not as terrible as that shit Josh's dad said, but man. Tact, dudette.

Also, Josh, get a punching bag and tape a picture of your dad to it. Should help when you need a stress release. Hell, I want to beat the shit out of him; as a father myself that kind of judgmental dismissal of your child bothers me on a very, very deep level.

I mad, bro.

Houn on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Houn wrote:
    You're right, Quoth, that was terrible to say. Not as terrible as that shit Josh's dad said, but man. Tact, dude.

Quoth is a new mom

so, you know,

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    You have all of my prayers, sympathy, and well wishes man.

You might share your wife's situation with a religious leader. There's a great amount of religious volunteers who are seeking ways of helping folks and you might find some support and friendship there.

It's sad that your father has been so crappy with this. He'll need to find a way of redemption with you.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Keith wrote:
    Houn wrote:
    You're right, Quoth, that was terrible to say. Not as terrible as that shit Josh's dad said, but man. Tact, dude.

Quoth is a new mom

so, you know,

still pretty bad

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Houn wrote:

Quoth is a new mom

so, you know,

still pretty bad

Tell you what, I'll go edit my post to say "dudette". ;-)

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    You have all of my prayers, sympathy, and well wishes man.

You might share your wife's situation with a religious leader. There's a great amount of religious volunteers who are seeking ways of helping folks and you might find some support and friendship there.

It's sad that your father has been so crappy with this. He'll need to find a way of redemption with you.

He won't

He used to beat my mom! And he doesn't really give a shit or feel bad about it

Also he broke a 1x4 (edited: typo) over my back when I was in 6th grade, so

yeah

Not exactly in a very forgiving mood for this new fuckery

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm sure josh doesn't need to hear it from me but that man is an abominable monster.

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular

I've already pretty much done this with my dad (my folks are divorced and remarried), since he basically has been an abusive turd my whole life and is more concerned with supporting his new wife's kids than his own. Also this prosperity gospel bullshit. This isn't the first time he's told us that bad things happen to us, and we aren't always in a good place with regard to money because we aren't good people.

EDIT

I actually wouldn't have even called him if my wife hadn't insisted.

Just cut him off. I know people always go on about "You shouldn't let family go", but that's bullshit. Things got so much better once I realized that I don't ever have to talk to my parents again if I don't want to. He's not worth all the piss in your urethra even if he was on fire. Let him go on with his worthless and empty life.

You've got a hard enough road ahead of you without having to deal with someone elses bullshit. Hang in there man.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Fandyien wrote:

But fuck him

Huh, we must have the same father and not realize it.

(Don't listen to him)

Well, we both live in Texas so we have obviously made a wrong decision somewhere in life

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    god damn it your father makes me angry, Josh
    who says that to their own son
    when his wife is pregnant and has cancer no less

Tam on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Tam wrote:
    god damn it your father makes me angry, Josh
    who says that to their own son
    when his wife is pregnant and has cancer no less

His dad, obviously. What a piece of work

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    oh geez.

i am so sorry. :/

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Normally I'm not particularly responsive to people who claim daddy issues, because of how many people I have known who use it (or make it up) for attention whoring
    but holy shit josh your dad is a cunt

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Well I've mostly moved on and only talk to him when I'm obligated to

I don't really blame him for who I am because I'm nothing like him and I basically don't let my kids stay alone with him at family gatherings

Anyway I'm surrounded by sympathetic people who aren't twats and my dad is the only real outlier, so again, fuck him

• Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Fandyien wrote:

But fuck him

What the fuck?! That's a fucking despicable thing to say, especially in your situation, especially since you're his son. Yeah, fuck him and good on you for being a better father than he has ever been. Hope you and your lady get through this comfortably and without incident. Keep on being awesome. I'm sorry your dad is such a raging asshole.

Dux on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Is it terrible of me that the main thing that stood out in the OP was "doesn't run in her family so much as drives NASCAR" because that is a very amusing turn of phrase.

Also I am terribly sorry for your situation and your father's insensitive douchebaggery in regards to it. Seriously, "my pregnant wife has cancer" just sounds like the absolute worst thing and I am completely incapable of comprehending what you're going through. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you get through this.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Hey yo Josh just know you, your wife and your kids are in my thoughts all the way from the other side of the world. Stay strong for your family (I've got no doubt this is already the case) and ride this shitstorm out

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    God damn. I hope everything goes well for you and your wife. I don't know what else to say, but know that you're in my thoughts.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    this is absolutely terrible news

my mother had lymphoma and passed away when i was 4 years old so i definitely know the feel

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry, I have trouble comprehending a father who is that shitty to their kids. Like, maliciously on purpose shitty.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry to hear that Josh. Wishing you and your family all the best. Sounds like your wife is a fighter.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote:

But fuck him

Has the possibility of a baseball bat to the head been considered at some point?

Because that tends to fix shit right quick.

Not that I'd know, or anything.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I mean I'm religious but the prosperity gospel can just fuck itself until it dies

for serious

you have to do some pretty big theological somersaults to believe that bullshit

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Just saw this link from your Let's Play....

Josh, you and your family are in my thoughts. I wish I could do more than well-wishes on an internet forum.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    My kids seem to be totally 100% fine and can't even tell that anything is wrong. We're putting on faces for them.

I'm not sure if 5 and 3 are the right ages to have the "Mommy has cancer" talk, at least until something happens that they can understand.

My mom had non-Hodgkins Lymphoma when I was... 7 or 8, I think it was (I'm almost 23 and she's still here, to put it in perspective), and yeah, unless your kids are triple their ages emotionally, they aren't feeling anything close to the full impact of this. Obviously they're gonna know something's up when Mom's in the hospital for a while, but just tell them that she's in the hospital because she's sick. More detail than that is probably lost on them.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    My mum had (benign) tumours when I was a similar age, so yeah I can understand not talking to them about it. I certainly didn't resent my mum and dad for not telling me about it until several years later

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Okay, so Medicaid is only covering my wife until six weeks after she delivers. I imagine getting further insurance is going to be a bitch, to put it mildly. I don't make enough money to pay for half a million dollars in cancer treatment. Does anybody have any advice here? My wife is friends with the Director of Operations for cancer services network here in Abilene and we're talking to her, but we won't know anything for a while and I figure it's better to do something sooner rather than later.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Thanks Obama.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Thanks Obama.

Ha! We were just looking at potential assistance in the new healthcare law with my staunchly republican in-laws and this is the exact same thing I said literally 30 seconds ago

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    But did you say it ironically?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    But did you say it ironically?

I'm cleaning up the mess on the carpet from all the dripping sarcasm right now

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Shit Josh, sorry to hear about this. Best of luck to you and yours.