As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Glory and approbation to Diablo 3 Thread (evil is back 05.15.12)

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    I'm hardcore. I only play the original warcraft because the later games watered down the gameplay for you casual babies.

Some fan you are, true Blizzard loyalists only play Rock N' Roll Racing

This is bullshit. The true hardcore play The Death and Return of Superman to completion once a week.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Wimble wrote: »
    I feel like the sarcastic replies to the wall of text guy kind of mirror his flaws and that bums me out. I understand it's tempting to "get him good" though, I guess
    This thread is for Diablo 3 circlejerk and pretending like we will send Neville pictures of our genitalia for beta access, not for allowing people to express opinions other than "Diablo 3 is a great game!"

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Walt wrote: »
    Wimble wrote: »
    I feel like the sarcastic replies to the wall of text guy kind of mirror his flaws and that bums me out. I understand it's tempting to "get him good" though, I guess
    This thread is for Diablo 3 circlejerk and pretending like we will send Neville pictures of our genitalia for beta access, not for allowing people to express opinions other than "Diablo 3 is a great game!"

Ugh, I've gone through and read his entire rambling Big Block of Text.

This is a guy who apparently wrote a D2 build guide that got translated into other languages, him struggling to embrace the brave new world of Not Needing A Fucking Guide for characters isn't surprising.

He finds it problematic that he isn't dying during the D3 beta. ... it's the fucking tutorial period of Normal.

I don't mock out of some misplaced need to 'white knight' for a massive corporation rolling in billions of dollars and countless awards. I mock(ed) him for being just another bag of hot air that can't get his head around "I might have to wait for Nighmare or even Hell to unlock all of those variations on my skills".

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    That guy is a silly goose.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • RaveBombRaveBomb Registered User regular
    That guy will probably buy Diablo 3 anyways.

I'm off to pirate more music, steal software, and knock down little old ladies, then later I'm going to cover my self in Yak's blood, and lay in a pentagram, while reading some Marxist literature and praying to a heathen god.

tata
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man I love the new skill system

I haaate the concept of 'builds', of locking myself out of a particular playstyle because I didn't build my dude a specific way

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If you spend any of your skill points before you're level 30 you're a scrub.

belruelotterav-1.jpg

Well, you can totally spend a few. Y'know, the ones that are pre-requisites for your level 30 skills.

But yeah, level 1 skills only until you hit 30.

Okay, later you could pour some into synergies, but by that point you could probably just hop into a friend's game and leech exp to hit 80 in like an hour or two. But man, doing it 'the hard way' took a long fucking time.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    26 days adshdsfhjfasgf

beta is down for patch 17

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man I love the new skill system

I haaate the concept of 'builds', of locking myself out of a particular playstyle because I didn't build my dude a specific way
    Forar wrote: »

Well, you can totally spend a few. Y'know, the ones that are pre-requisites for your level 30 skills.

But yeah, level 1 skills only until you hit 30.

Okay, later you could pour some into synergies, but by that point you could probably just hop into a friend's game and leech exp to hit 80 in like an hour or two. But man, doing it 'the hard way' took a long fucking time.

Baaaarrrrrrffff

median xl handles skills pretty well

your skills all have caps which raise every 6 levels

you can raise the cap with certain skills/items

I prefer the new rune system, sure I don't get some of the best runes till the later levels but now I only have to worry about random chance while gearing my character up and not for rune drops as well.

It'd be like in WoW that bosses dropped the best glyphs and you had a random chance each week to get something that's basically integral to your class.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    And you can't join my game unless you already have them.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    i hope that gearscore never becomes a thing in d3

who am i kidding wow players are going to play it

There's no addons though so unless someone makes a spreadsheet that you manually enter the item level or stuff into.

Wait why did my post show up unquoted there

Fucking drafts

• IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Well to be fair I have some of the same reservations about the game that the kid brings up

Why are we doing away with the leveling system from the last two games? It seems that with the new system a lot more focus is going to be on elite gear.

Yes the focus has always been on elite gear, but before that was just part of the puzzle, you also had your skill tree and stat points to distribute

Makes sense though since I assume blizzard is planning on making money off of the auction house

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    Why are we doing away with the leveling system from the last two games? It seems that with the new system a lot more focus is going to be on elite gear.

Yes the focus has always been on elite gear, but before that was just part of the puzzle, you also had your skill tree and stat points to distribute

Makes sense though since I assume blizzard is planning on making money off of the auction house
    The focus is going to be on clearing Inferno content which will likely require a very, very optimized skill/rune build, only now you don't have to know what your build is going to be from level 1. You can just hop up to town, experiment with a new build, and tweak based on your successes and failures while playing. It's identical to respecs even except there is no fiddly gating mechanic.

As far as Stats those were pointless in D2 to any decent player. You dump whatever is needed to get BiS items and then pour the rest into Vitality. Always.

The Diablo 3 system didn't drop the Diablo 2 system, it vastly improves it to be more organic and enable more customization, not less.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The leveling system from the last 1 game you mean. D1 had a different system too. They make a new system every game.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Well to be fair I have some of the same reservations about the game that the kid brings up

You still have the full puzzle. But instead of realizing that your "_____mancer" isn't a complete pile of shit in Hell/Hell, you can swap a skill, alter your gear layout, re-rune a few choices and try something else. Gear, skill choices and whatnot are all still important, but instead of needing to level a whole new character to that level again or blow one of your precious few respecs, you can alter it on the fly for testing and see what else works.

Assuming the game retains the same amount of fun mindless click click clicking to loot and riches, I don't see any reason to think that we'll do anything but play a billion hours apiece in Hell and Inferno difficulties (the latter once we've properly geared and girded our loins in the former of course), so this just saves you the trouble of wasting countless hours grinding back up to hell/hell... or begging friends to drag your ass through content quickly enough to bypass a bunch of it.

• KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    Wait, so runes aren't drops anymore? When did that happen?

mrsatansig.png
    like.... 4 months ago

A cursory google search says it was about 2 months ago, but yeah, it's not a recent change.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4475014/Skill_and_Rune_Changes-2_18_2012

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular

*brofist*

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    lol if you put points in energy in d2, just lmao

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Every change to the skills system has been a step up from D2

2x39jD4.jpg
    In diablo 2 if you fucked up you were boned, time to delete the character and reroll. They then added one (1) respec that you could use.

Now you can mess about as much as you like and build your character with some hilarious abilities just cause and for the most part they'll work. Will there be more optimal builds? Of course but that won't stop you from dropping bells on demons heads or summoning giant voodoo monsters just cause.

lol if you put points in energy in d2, just lmao

uh actually uh uhhh energy shield sorc uhhh

ES Lite Sorc FTW

Beasteh wrote: »
    ES Lite Sorc FTW

yeah it's like being meteorb except you suck ass instead of ruling hard

how does it feel to be so utterly wrong

i'm curious

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    watchoutwegotabadassoverhere.jpg

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    emot-c00lbert.gif

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    In diablo 2 if you fucked up you were boned, time to delete the character and reroll. They then added one (1) respec that you could use.

Bli$$ard can't help pandering to baby casual players!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    How else will they fill their swimming pools of cash?

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular

you still have to choose your skill load out
    it is just as focused on havin a good skill build, it's just easier to mess around and fix it if you mess up

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I'm hardcore. I only play the original warcraft because the later games watered down the gameplay for you casual babies.

Some fan you are, true Blizzard loyalists only play Rock N' Roll Racing

This is bullshit. The true hardcore play The Death and Return of Superman to completion once a week.
    That fucking game was impossible.

Edit: Why does it keep putting that draft into my posts, God.

sarukun on
    emot-c00lbert.gif
    you must feel pretty good about yourself playing the most boring sorc build in existence

This discussion has been closed.