Options

Dark Souls -- PC Version Launches On Steam August 23rd!

• Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    ahhhhhh i love this game
    the new co-op is bullshit though
    i used to play demons souls with my friend all the time and this game does not like that

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Anyone try playing as a Deprived? I was debating it but why make it harder on myelf the first time through.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I thought about it, too, but there doesn't seem to be any advantage to doing so like, say, a barbarian in DS

tooled around in Undeadburg today after checking out a few different places I was definitely not ready for. I refuse to use a guide or ask questions, so it's a lot of trial-and-error, but it's also a lot of fun.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    ultimakay wrote:
    I just managed to get to the first blacksmith and I have a feeling i'm going to be farming some souls to upgrade my weapons before I tackle the boss. The rapier knights are still kicking my ass, but I may try using a pike against them rather then my current longsword.

you can grab the winged spear pretty easily around there, its a quick jaunt back to the firelink shrine
    there's a shortcut in the church, directly across from the entrance

• Options
    I thought about it, too, but there doesn't seem to be any advantage to doing so like, say, a barbarian in DS

tooled around in Undeadburg today after checking out a few different places I was definitely not ready for. I refuse to use a guide or ask questions, so it's a lot of trial-and-error, but it's also a lot of fun.

the advantage is similar to the pyromancer, in that you can mold the character whatever way you want since the stats are all even

pyromancer is less balanced but starts at level 1

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Squall wrote:

the advantage is similar to the pyromancer, in that you can mold the character whatever way you want since the stats are all even

that's true, but is it the most efficient? Bandit has good starting stats and is 6 or 7. Can you get the same stats by that level as a deprived?

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Time to go kill some bosses

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Bell gargoyles down, and i'm on my way to joining the sun covenant.

I'll be hanging around there farming souls to reinforce my weapons, dropping my sign to help people out if the thing is being cooperative. It took about 10 failed connections before I managed to get someone to help out. Hopefully it'll be a bit faster, being on the other side.

I love my mobility as the thief, keeping on the light armor + dex track. Backstab backstab backstab. The rapier knights still sometimes kill me if I misjudge the timing and they've started up into their parry stance, but overall there's not much in that area that poses a problem. I'm looking forward to moving on and getting horribly murdered again.

• Options
    Squall wrote:

that's true, but is it the most efficient? Bandit has good starting stats and is 6 or 7. Can you get the same stats by that level as a deprived?

according to this, bandit starts at 4 and has 86 points distributed at start

deprived starts at 6 and has 88 points

so vov

• Options
    MMMMMMMMM Moonlight Butterfly down

that feels so good after last night's bullshit capra demon hate fest

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    dammit newegg where's muh copy

• Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    I have it on 360. It's great. Plenty of people to freak me out whenever I see those ghostly bodies running around. I just ran into that black knight. What does reverse hollowing do?

xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    I'm also someone who up till yesterday never played demon souls but heard of it lightly and now just very much regreting it. Going into dark souls expecting nothing really made what makes this game great a surprise that I am enjoying so much

• Options
    my halbred now one shotting dogs is really nice

time to face the capra demon again

• Options
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSs

CAPRA DICK DOWN FUCK YES YES YES YES

• Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    I'm still stuck at the capra asshole

• Options
    Pretty much luck is what's needed for that fight

the gaping dragon isn't anywhere near as hard, cept for some magic douchebag shooting arrows at me, but this time I'll be a human so I can summon soltaire and I'll just stay under the parapets so I don't get hit by magic

and I got the axe yay

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    welp, looks like I get my copy on the 10th

• Options
    HAhaha summoned a dude to help out and some black knight came in and we destroyed him

then i got to the gaping dragon with the dude and the dragon did a tail swipe that destroyed me

fuck

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I went and bought the last copy of the FuturePress guide from Gamestop yesterday

This thing is less a guide and more a Tome of Works Most Holy. hardcover jesus I haven't seen a hardcover guide in ages

Although even reading it I still can't quite figure out how far into the game I need to get before I can start invading dudes what ended up in the Book of the Guilty

Wanna be a vigilante so hard

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Dadouw wrote:
    Dadouw wrote:
    Squall wrote:
    apparently you can spend humanity points to kindle, which is like upgrading the bonfire so it gives you more estus flasks

Is it permanent?

I hope so, since the whole idea of estus flasks seems to be to have permanently refillable potions that replace the dumb farming of mobs for herbs.

I see

Also is it possible that when someone kindles a bonfire that you are related to, it raises your flask by one? Because i've never kindled one and sometimes my flask gains more charges for no reasons

It does indeed give you an extra charge when someone kindles the bonfire you last filled up from

Which is so hilariously awesome e.g., when you're fighting the Taurus demon and down to one misstep before death and no estus when SUDDENLY AN EXTRA CHARGE

then you get shoved off the wall and die anyway lol

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    why would you pay for a guidebook when you have the internet?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Druhim wrote:

For me, its much easier to reference the guidebook while playing. The guide is incredibly detailed and very in-depth, though I am mainly using for the player, enemy and weapon/armor stats sections and to find obscure things I would never come across myself.

edit: and for those curious on how the guide is, its very good. I looked up a boss I had already defeated and it details each one of the bosses attacks and how best to maneuver around them as well as general strategies for defeating it. It also has maps for every single section of the game and how to work your way through everything if that's what you are looking for.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Ok, 3 bosses down tonight, SL 29 (which seems a lot slower than demon's souls) and got me a pyromancy flame (with 8 magic lol) so I'm going to stop for the night

• Options
    Druhim wrote:

Also because the internet and wikis are far behind, so there isn't that much available if you've been moving fast through the game.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    So I just started a wanderer

Holy christ it's so much more fun

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Whoever said the Capra Demon can't climb those steps is a damn liar.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ive been enjoying playing a wanderer

just trekked back to buy a ton of fire bombs, gonna give the gargoyle another go tonight (maybe)

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Whoever said the Capra Demon can't climb those steps is a damn liar.

he can climb the steps, but can get easily stuck at the corner under the stairs if you wander down a little each time he starts walking towards the entrance

god I hate that fight

Blighttown will be interesting tomorrow...

• Options
    Can I play this game as a hand to hand fighter? Because I would jizz if i can. I've never seen knuckle type weapons though..

• Options
    I just want to invade motherfucks while no one really knows what they're doing yet

Is that so wrong

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    Can I play this game as a hand to hand fighter? Because I would jizz if i can. I've never seen knuckle type weapons though..

yes you can and yes there are, you could in demon's souls, too.

• Options

yes

i plan on doing this if i play again

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    So I preordered this from Amazon

didn't get the CE because they ran out

Just got an email giving me $20 in promotion $$$!

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Aha, read something nice about covenants and leaving/joining them in the guide that might be useful for some of you
    if I'm reading it right, you can join a new covenant at any time, and the only penalty is if your previous covenant was one that can be ranked up, you'll be down one rank in that covenant if you ever go crawling back

So no reason not to, say, join those white wieners at the start and buy some useful miracles

I can't wait until I'm far enough along to mess with covenants, MP was/is my favorite thing about Demon's Souls/Dark Souls

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    If any of you guys are on the fence about buying this and want some more opinions, here is a good editorial from a dude who has put in 45 hours so far. It's intentional non-spoilery so you're good to go. It has pretty much convinced me that when I buy the game my first playthrough will be with a total lack of external information.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/lifes-a-bitch-and-then-you-die-45-hours-with-dark-souls/3722/

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Burn in hell, goat face. I defeated.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    So I preordered this from Amazon

didn't get the CE because they ran out

Just got an email giving me $20 in promotion $$$!

hey buy me things

• Options
    beat the damn gargoyle and rang the bell

now my choices are run past the unkillable lightning demon into the forest or into the undertown area with the unkillable ghosts

hmmm

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    g-g-g-ghosts?!

This discussion has been closed.