Options

Dark Souls -- PC Version Launches On Steam August 23rd!

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i am very, very hyped for this game you guys

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    so glad i've media blackouted on this. also, this time there will be no guides assisting me, i've decided

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    First time I've heard about this game.

Never really read about Demon's Souls.

Just watched the Quick Look and read some reviews.

So this is a RPG Ninja Gaiden meets I Wanna Be The Guy in a dark world of death with a really cool persistent co-op/versus mode weaved in?

O.O

ObiFett on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    so pumped for this game, god. preordered on amazon, release day delivery. ps3 id is lostwords add me and lets die together

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Gonna get this game

Gonna PvP like a sonofabitch

Gonna be a dick like this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHYmQrV-wak&feature=player_embedded

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    the multiplayer in this game is the most intriguing thing i've ever seen in a game

basically each covenant has its own special things/tasks for multiplayer? one hunts down players in the book, another takes out contracts, one basically griefs players into attacking them, etc.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm glad weapons have a much larger damage cap this time around, compared to Demon's Souls which wasn't anywhere near as high as these 600+s I'm seeing

Also cool is that the bonuses to weapons and shields actually have physical effects on them

And the entire world being like 1-1 but better is pretty sweet

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Man I sure hope heavy armor isn't dogshit this time around

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    In what way?

• Options
    You couldn't roll properly in it, so it was worthless once enemies started to do damage

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Man I sure hope heavy armor isn't dogshit this time around

it's much better this time around as i understand it

rolling has a lot less built in invincibility, and wearing heavy armor lets you absorb a lot of shit that should straight up murdelize you

you can see it in the Giantbomb quicklook if you don't mind watching

• Options
    Ah yeah, rolling is still shit with heavy armor, but like led said you'll notice that they're blocking full hits from bosses (which I think is combined shield and armor value, need to look into that)

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote:
    First time I've heard about this game.

Never really read about Demon's Souls.

Just watched the Quick Look and read some reviews.

So this is a RPG Ninja Gaiden meets I Wanna Be The Guy in a dark world of death with a really cool persistent co-op/versus mode weaved in?

O.O

I would call it an action RPG that is an homage to old-fashioned dungeon crawling with interesting non-traditional multiplayer elements, in a beautiful dark fantasy setting. It's not really like Ninja Gaiden, except maybe in the area of the gameplay being challenging. And it's definitely not hard in the same sense as IWTBTG, because the challenge of that game is just using trial and error to figure out how to get past all the bullshit traps and stuff.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    RPG because exactly what you said
    Ninja Gaiden because its a VERY challenging 3rd person action slasher
    IWBTG because you die ALOT and it has alot trial and error

I really didn't have anything to base what the game would be like because today is literally the first I have read of it and its all so brand new and fresh to me. But based on the reviews and trailers, those seem like accurate comparisons for the uninitiated.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Demon's Souls wasn't much harder than Monster Hunter, it's trial and error like a lot of people have said

If you get really stuck you can look up something on youtube

I hope they don't have anything like stage 4 again, fighting enemies on tiny ledges is garbage

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Demon's Souls wasn't much harder than Monster Hunter, it's trial and error like a lot of people have said

If you get really stuck you can look up something on youtube

I hope they don't have anything like stage 4 again, fighting enemies on tiny ledges is garbage

Two posts above yours the guy said it wasn't trial and error but instead was a challenging action game

re: the tiny ledges thing -
    They have that exact thing in the game. They said so in the IGN review.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    It's a challenging action game based on trial and error

it is best not to be insane when playing these games

• Options
    God dammit, world 4 blew ass and they decided to do it again

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    well there's some trial and error element to it but it's not even close to the same level of it as in IWTBTG

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    So any word on whether or not this is actually more difficult and frustrating than Demon's Souls?

corio2.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Did you watch the GB quick look?

It looks about the same.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    From Software has said it will be more difficult.

• Options
    Has anyone watched any streams of this game? I saw onionbro take down the/ a final boss after 6 hours of trying, was amazing

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Somehow I only just found out about this game in the past week. It looks sooooo gooood.

I'm really quite patient when playing games, so I'm looking forward to seeing how I handle this.

I'm expecting something along the lines of

Bane-Breaking-Batman.png

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm on media blackout, as anyone interested in this game should be.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Surprisingly IGN had a 25 hour stream of it that started Thursday and lasted until Friday at noon

When I checked Friday morning they were at 17 hours, 43 deaths and 8 bosses down

It definitely seems harder since they seemed to change the system from light-weight/rolling to heavy-weight/blocking (is what it appeared at least)

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Batman is my game for October but maybe at some point I'll try and grab demon's souls used, I was always kinda curious about it

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I might actually just go out and buy Demon's Souls instead of this

for one thing, I'm going to get my ass kicked mercilessly by either game, and I'd rather have paid $20 for that game than $60

(I will try to actually play Demon's Souls this time around, though)

• Options
    I will say, Demon's Souls was probably one of the best buys I ever made

Traded in some ratchet and clank game that came with my ps3, and got a brand new copy of Demon's Souls

Also, what classes do the guys here (who are going to buy the game) think you're gonna play?

Trying to decide between Pyromancer, Wanderer, and Warrior

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    just saw the Giantbomb Quick Look of Dark Souls

WANT

NEED

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TUESDAY

Next week will suck dealing with HW and Dark Souls

but next weekend will be awesome cause 3 DAY WEEKEND FOR DARK SOULS

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    also I am going to be a Wanderer

the shield/spear combo I saw in the quicklook seems good, but I want to experiment

I'm assuming stuff like dual wielding or staves are not in this game?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I'll be a cleric again

Smiting nerds all day, now in heavy armor

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    I will probably rent this game. I was terrible at the first one, but wasted so many hours on it.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i wish this was coming out for PC because i'm interested in it, have time to kill, but only have my laptop right now

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Moriveth wrote:
    I might actually just go out and buy Demon's Souls instead of this

for one thing, I'm going to get my ass kicked mercilessly by either game, and I'd rather have paid $20 for that game than $60

(I will try to actually play Demon's Souls this time around, though)

I agree, if only because Demon's Souls is a phenomenal game. And you can always ask for help. I'm always willing.

Team Sorcerer go!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

the shield/spear combo I saw in the quicklook seems good, but I want to experiment

dual wielding was in the first, so I assume it'll be back

staves weren't, but spears/poles pretty much accomplish that

• Options
    Mirdan hammers are all you need

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Oghulk wrote:

dual wielding was in the first, so I assume it'll be back

staves weren't, but spears/poles pretty much accomplish that

how playable is dual wielding

like, "doable", "very hard" or "nigh impossible"?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    doable but I never felt like there was much point, much like in real life

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.