Options

Dark Souls -- PC Version Launches On Steam August 23rd!

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oh shit

when does Saints Row 3 come out

• Options
    Oh nevermind, comes out the 15th

plenty o' time

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    This is the only game I really need this holiday season

Skyrim is a close second, but I can wait on a discount for that because my PC can only barely run it at anything decent.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Also, you can totally reserve games at Redbox on the day of release

I usually do that since I have a lot of trouble finding the newest games after they come out

• Options
    Yeah, think I'ma go with Knight

• Options
    I'm playing Soldier right now in Demon's Souls

working fairly well so far, actually

just gotta be more patient with my fightin'

• Options
    I rolled Hunter
    that axe is so useful for some fights
    and starting with a bow is nice

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Make sure you get the bow from the first battlement in 1-2, you will need it. Oh, and the red dragon might drop by to say hi along the way.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote:
    Aww man

I was doing pretty well then I got killed by a red spear guy

My bloodstain ended up right behind him

In my haste to get my souls I ran right up to the guy and duhh, just got murdered

This is why you don't rush through Demon's Souls

Yeah, you don't screw with him until later. Or until you have a thief's ring, a bow/magic, and lots of patience. With a thief's ring, you can snipe him from a distance and he'll eventually stop coming at you.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    The best start for every character is to go to 4-1 and get the crescent falchion

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I have to beat 1-1 first!

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    my psn account handle is pretty embarrassing
    L4ST_L3VI4TH4N
    I made that when I was a teenager. If you don't mind typing that in, feel free to add me to your summoning/buddy list.

I loved Demon Souls, so I will be playing the crap out of this.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I haven't got a PS3 so I was never able to play Demon's Souls, which I always regretted. I'm glad i'll be able to give this one a chance though.

I'm completionist by nature and I don't mind taking my time, so i'm expecting to quite enjoy myself.

• Options
    Well, I defeated Phalanx. The true Demon's Souls starts here, I guess.

• Options
    Oh man, did you just now get Phalanx?

I started a new character yesterday and played for the first time in probably over a year. 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 down, and I hate world 2 without a piercing sword.

• Options
    Well, I haven't been playing the game nonstop or anything.

What should I tackle next?

• Options
    Hmmm, if you have a character that can run really fast, 1-2. World 3 is fairly easy but can be really confusing, and world 2 is pretty quick, just a lot of monsters will take a lot of hits and the 2-2 boss is a pain in the ass.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    world 2 is a good second place to go

also the area in world 1 just beyond Phalanx's archstone has a bunch of slime things you can farm for sharpstone and hardstone shards and chunks for forging. Just be careful how far you go...

oh and the trick to the common enemies in world 2 are hard to hurt with blunt and slashing attacks, piercing attacks and magic work much better.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Thankfully I saw a note on the ground telling me that the enemies in that world are vulnerable to piercing weapons

and extra-thankfully, I still had my spear

Got killed more than a few times, mostly because the goblin guys get mixed in with the dogs, and the dogs are harder to fight with a spear

• Options
    Dogs are one of the most challenging mobs in the entire game. Mainly because they attack in groups and can dodge/out maneuver you very easily.

So when does the review embargo break on this, barring IGN's early review? Not that it matters because I've already bought it.

• Options
    Probably Tuesday like usual

And yeah, world 2 is a good starting place, it just sucks for me right now cause I really only have non-piercing swords and axes to use.

• Options
    Yeah, those dogs are assholes

I think I've died more times to them by now than I have to anything in 1-1

Maybe I should learn some spells so I can pick 'em off from afar

• Options
    the trick to dogs is to block their attack and then counterattack

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    also if you know exactly where the mob is placed and you are really good with a bow you can usually get the jump on them, which isn't much (magic is much better for this) but it helps

• Options
    I think the main problem I'm having with the dogs is that it's in a room with a bunch of goblin dudes

so I'll run in there with my spear and then the dogs will maul me since the spear sucks against them

• Options
    is it the first pack of dogs after you enter the indoor area? once they run out at you run back to the narrow hallway connecting the first and second rooms so they can't flank you, and the miners won't be an issue.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    It is, and I'll try that next time. I think I would always attack the miners first, so they'd go for me, and then the dogs would come at me.

Maybe I should unequip my Thief Ring so they notice me from further away.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    got flamelurker first try with a blue phantom

now on to dragon dude and then probably world 1-3

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Moriveth wrote:
    It is, and I'll try that next time. I think I would always attack the miners first, so they'd go for me, and then the dogs would come at me.

Maybe I should unequip my Thief Ring so they notice me from further away.

with the thief's ring on you should be able to backstab the miners nearest the hallway without triggering the dogs.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    You know what I hate more than dog packs? The fat ministers.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Are those the guys that laugh and cast fireballs at you? Because those guys can fuck off.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    My inability to play Demon Souls for multiple years has pained me very greatly.

So I preordered Dark Souls

and will forget about everything once I get back from class on Tuesday.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Got dragon dick and dragon bone dick as well

I guess I'll go a faith build since I started as a cleric...

also holy shit I'm happy I got the purple flame shield first time through 1-1 cause god damn is it useful in world 2

• Options
    Moriveth wrote:

Are those the guys that laugh and cast fireballs at you? Because those guys can fuck off.

Yep.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah.

Those guys suck. So far my tactic for the one guy I've fought is to get in close so he doesn't throw a fireball at me, and hack at him a few times

and that isn't very effective

(still more effective than my tactic of 'shoot him with the crossbow', since the crossbow takes so long to aim and fire that the fireball's already traveling at my face by the time I shoot)

• Options
    Try line of sighting them. Get in hack once, roll side ways or get around a corner as he's charging his hadouken, repeat

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Welp, review embargo broke. Metascore stands at a solid 89, with the highest being Gamespot's review at a 95. Even indie folks are giving it praise, which is good.
    Main complaints are, besides the love-it-or-hate-it difficulty, the occasionally choppy framerate in a few of the largest areas (which also happened sometimes in a few spots in Demon's Souls if you pushed the engine) and the lock-on still not being perfect.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    the framerate might be a specific console issue rather than a game engine issue

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    nah, it's apparently on both consoles
    like I said, it could definitely be done in Demon's Souls as well, so it's probably the engine hitting the memory cap or something
    2-2's supercavern was the only area large enough to push it to where it happened regularly though, usually it was a side effect of large explosions or killing 20 dudes at once

• Options
    Yeah, I've got some choppy framerate in Demon's Souls

nothing intolerable, though, just kinda juddery.

This discussion has been closed.