Options

Dark Souls -- PC Version Launches On Steam August 23rd!

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Druhim wrote:
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Really want to play this, but no place to rent it in my town :<

redbox? There are several redbox kiosks within a few blocks of us and I know at least two of them have it

This was my original plan. Went to the supermarket where I remember there being a redbox. Turns out, nope! It's some off-brand redbox competitor.

(My town is super tiny)

Edit: Just checked all the nearby redboxes online. None of them have it yet.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    Squall wrote:
    apparently you can spend humanity points to kindle, which is like upgrading the bonfire so it gives you more estus flasks

Is it permanent?

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote:

Sell futon

acquire Dark Souls

p.s. how is that job hunt going, man?

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Dadouw wrote:
    Squall wrote:
    apparently you can spend humanity points to kindle, which is like upgrading the bonfire so it gives you more estus flasks

Is it permanent?

yes! but only for that one bonfire

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dadouw wrote:
    Squall wrote:

Is it permanent?

I hope so, since the whole idea of estus flasks seems to be to have permanently refillable potions that replace the dumb farming of mobs for herbs.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Druhim wrote:

redbox? There are several redbox kiosks within a few blocks of us and I know at least two of them have it

This was my original plan. Went to the supermarket where I remember there being a redbox. Turns out, nope! It's some off-brand redbox competitor.

(My town is super tiny)

Edit: Just checked all the nearby redboxes online. None of them have it yet.

keep checking
    I had checked yesterday online, and it said none of the kiosks near me had it but when I went to one, a copy was in stock! I'm guessing it just hadn't been returned yet.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Dadouw wrote:
    Squall wrote:

Is it permanent?

I hope so, since the whole idea of estus flasks seems to be to have permanently refillable potions that replace the dumb farming of mobs for herbs.

I see

Also is it possible that when someone kindles a bonfire that you are related to, it raises your flask by one? Because i've never kindled one and sometimes my flask gains more charges for no reasons

Dadouw on
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote:

Sell futon

acquire Dark Souls

p.s. how is that job hunt going, man?

About as well as could be expected. So no real movement on the job front. Fortunately, I'm in a situation where I can afford to take my time and look for a real job instead of ending up as a bookstore clerk again. Hooray for family!

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So, at the 3rd boss (Carpa Demon, lower undead burg)

by far the only boss in the DS games that I've found to be complete and utter bullshit

torpedo digs ram into you, causing the boss who will deal straight through an entire endurance bar and half your health in one hit to hit you, which causes you to pretty much die right off the bat

mainly because the room is so fucking small right when you enter you have to move immediately and with absolute perfect timing otherwise you get butt fucked

so now that I've got a bunch of firebombs I'm going back to forest world to try and kill one of the bosses down there... ugh

• Options
    edited October 2011
    got to the boss on top of the church, was promptly thrown off the roof, also now im out of fire bombs

gonna tackle this again tomorrow

also the buckler knights with the rapiers are a bitch and a half to fight

Squall on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    patience is key

eventually they'll put that stupid riposte guard down then you can resume attacking

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    I have no job and no money. Should I use my Best Buy card and go buy this game?

Is it that good?

• Options
    JinnJinn Registered User regular
    So is this game like medieval flavored Ninja Gaiden w/ RPG character progression or what? I am intrigued. I'd like to know more. The trailer and the handful of reviews I read were not very helpful in terms of exactly what to expect other than "it's pretty fucking hard!"

• Options
    well usually when you die in this game it's your own fault, either through screw up or getting too cocky

quite different from ninja gaiden's MO of 'utter bullshit, all of the time'

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Nah, Ninja Gaiden is p. fair.

Except for ghost fish.

Holy fuck BROKEN

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I have a $25 gamestop gift card around here somewhere

is there really nobody playing this on a 360?

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    What's this i hear about lack of party chat on the 360 version? is this true?

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Jinn wrote:
    So is this game like medieval flavored Ninja Gaiden w/ RPG character progression or what? I am intrigued. I'd like to know more. The trailer and the handful of reviews I read were not very helpful in terms of exactly what to expect other than "it's pretty fucking hard!"

Just watch the giant bomb quick look.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    I own this on 360

but I have a shitty network atm.

Biz is playing on 360. Airking is too, I think.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    Melding wrote:
    What's this i hear about lack of party chat on the 360 version? is this true?

well there's no equivalent on PSN either I think, so that's probably why it's not supported. Also the multiplayer is pretty much random and fairly anonymous, the only way to play with your friends is to put down your summon markers in the same area when you're near in level and hope for the best.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Rented this and tried it out. I enjoyed it, but am definitely going to wait a while till it comes down in price. Especially since we've already preordered skyrim.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    mamorumamoru Registered User regular
    Dadouw wrote:
    Dadouw wrote:
    Squall wrote:

Is it permanent?

I see

Also is it possible that when someone kindles a bonfire that you are related to, it raises your flask by one? Because i've never kindled one and sometimes my flask gains more charges for no reasons

From the manual "If you kindle the bonfire where another player last rested, the Estus Flasks in the inventory of the player who last rested at that bonfire increases by one."

• Options
    ok I have come to a new conclusion regarding estus flasks and bonfires: each bonfire has its own level that it fills your flasks to. The one at firelink shrine seems to fill 10 shots, while lesser bonfires inside the levels only give up to 5. I still haven't tried kindling so I don't know what it does exactly, still.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    ok I have come to a new conclusion regarding estus flasks and bonfires: each bonfire has its own level that it fills your flasks to. The one at firelink shrine seems to fill 10 shots, while lesser bonfires inside the levels only give up to 5. I still haven't tried kindling so I don't know what it does exactly, still.

Kindling makes that bonfire work like the Firelink one - permanently gives you 10 flasks each time you rest there.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this - restarted with a cleric and got to the bridge past the first boss without dying, even beat the dark knight with his back to you in the undead burg on one try. Then got roasted a few times crossing the bridge but whatever.

Something I found this time that saved a TON of frustration: there's a shortcut you can open up from the underside of the dragon bridge to the first bonfire in the undead burg - go down the stairs at the midpoint on the bridge, there's a ladder down there that you can kick to extend it into the bonfire room.

• Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Jinn wrote:

This isn't really apt. In Ninja Gaiden, you're made to feel like a badass assassin who can take on entire armies. In Dark Souls, you're made to feel like an unlucky dude who was handed a sword and pushed in front of a dragon. You're always just a split second slower than you'd like to be, and after a few dodges your character runs out of stamina. Because of this, quick reflexes only take you so far in Dark Souls; battles are mostly won or lost based on how well you thought ahead and kept yourself from getting overwhelmed (it's a lot like a roguelike in this regard).

The comparison does hold up in that both games make you feel like a total baller for taking down their challenges. Also you should buy Dark Souls because it's rad.

• Options
    I get the same sort of feelings playing both NG and Dark Souls.

Do something right is so, so fucking satisfying. Doing something wrong is the realization like, "Oh, I really fucked up there" and dying accordingly.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    So is there a storage dude in this

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    really wish i could sell off stuff

up to my ears in hollow armor and waistcloths

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Squall wrote:
    really wish i could sell off stuff

up to my ears in hollow armor and waistcloths

If you find a certain dude you can give him items for souls, I dont know where he is though.

So is there a storage dude in this

Not sure if their is a dude, but I saw on a loading screen an item that you can get that is an infinite box and you can take things out and put things into it whenever you rest at campfires. I have no idea where it is or how to get it though.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Glad I didn’t spend too much time creating my characters face since she ends up looking like a ghoul from Fallout anyway.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Started as thief for the master key, and took the pendant because it's supposed to be useful later on. Nothing too tough yet!! Finished taurus demon, decided to to stop soon after that because everything else seemed to be just pushing my luck.

I never played demon souls so the combat took a bit to get used to, but now I backstab 4/20 all day. Or dice people up with a never ending attack dagger attack, which crits every third hit seemingly.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    Glad I didn’t spend too much time creating my characters face since she ends up looking like a ghoul from Fallout anyway.

That's only until your restore your humanity.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    I had 2 humanity once. Then I died. Then I died again...and again.

Need to start farming some souls to buy some arrows. I made it up to the Taurus Demon but those fucking archers.

I'll just run across this bridge, they wont hit me. They're all the way up there. Whoops!

• Options
    edited October 2011
    i had built up three humanity and lost it all on a suicide run to the winged spear

this was before i knew about kindling, woulda pumped the heck out of the main fire

Squall on
  • Options
    MateyMatey see, look how sad i am now give me your wallet.Registered User regular
    just got this

PS3: DAFishback59

• Options
    I just managed to get to the first blacksmith and I have a feeling i'm going to be farming some souls to upgrade my weapons before I tackle the boss. The rapier knights are still kicking my ass, but I may try using a pike against them rather then my current longsword.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    So I cant seem to level up anymore? Req amount of souls says 0. I'm currently at level 20.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    If it says 0 then you don't have enough souls currently to level up I think.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Phasen wrote:
    So I cant seem to level up anymore? Req amount of souls says 0. I'm currently at level 20.

Think it always says 0 until you select a stat to improve. If you don't have the required amount it won't let you even see how many you need.

I was confused by this as well.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I noticed that last night and it's a dumb design decision

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
This discussion has been closed.