As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Souls -- PC Version Launches On Steam August 23rd!

• Options
    ButtfortButtfort don't go to church on a sunday got my own special wayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Just got to the new area too, that first boss fight is probably my favorite boss thus far. These new big dudes are rolling all over me though, I gotta step my game up

Buttfort on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    When is a good time to try and fight the Undead Burg red dragon? There is no way I am going to stand under that bridge and shoot it with arrows for hours. I am slowly exploring Undead Parish and just met that blacksmith near the campfire.

How do I get better at parrying? I have only managed to do it, and get the little what feels like a micro cutscene with slightly different perspective, twice. Ditto for the backstab murder thing.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    there is never a good time to fight the dragon

parrying is a matter of timing. you'll only really get better at with practice

one tip I can give you is to hit the parry button when the opponent's swing is at the top of its arc, about to come down on you

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I always end up fighting the dragon after anor lando, if not closer to the end of the game, after i get the black robes.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    damn, the new first area is terrifying, the new everything is terrifying

except the
    hedge clipper monsters, those are so unintentionally great

• Options
    man, i am having serious problems parrying, and it is leading to many, many deaths in undead parish

those undead knights are vicious, especially the ones with the... rapier? thrusting/fencing swords and bucklers? little shields

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Yeah those guys are really strong. When they go into their parry stance, kick them (only if you are sure you can kick them without accidentally attacking instead. If you attack them while they're in that stance they will likely insta-kill you). They are also fairly easy to backstab if you circle around them.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    how exactly do i kick a bro?

how do i backstab and trigger the animation?

• Options
    The animation plays when you do a normal light attack on a humanoid from behind. Usually wait until they attack then circle around behind them. You also have to have your shield down when you attack, or else you won't backstab even if you're right behind them.

You kick by PRESSING forward and attacking at the same time. The timing takes some getting used to.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    I appreciate the lack of hand-holding in this game, but man, it sure would be nice to know basic things without having to hunt around the internet.

Also, I am a bit of tough spot with the undead parish. i keep dieing over and over, i don't have any humanity, i don't have many souls, there's knight type dude who is goddamned HUGE and has a huge mace on one side of this church, the side toward the campfire, and there are three or four the wikidot tells me they are Baldur Knights on the other side.

i'm thinking about trekking all the way back to the campfire in the undead burg and farming, but i don't think i will survive the journey with only five bottles of estus.

One of those Baldur Knights did drop the Balder chest armor, which is wicked nasty gnarly looking and pretty good at the same time!

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    I appreciate the lack of hand-holding in this game, but man, it sure would be nice to know basic things without having to hunt around the internet.

Also, I am a bit of tough spot with the undead parish. i keep dieing over and over, i don't have any humanity, i don't have many souls, there's knight type dude who is goddamned HUGE and has a huge mace on one side of this church, the side toward the campfire, and there are three or four the wikidot tells me they are Baldur Knights on the other side.

i'm thinking about trekking all the way back to the campfire in the undead burg and farming, but i don't think i will survive the journey with only five bottles of estus.

One of those Baldur Knights did drop the Balder chest armor, which is wicked nasty gnarly looking and pretty good at the same time!

You just have to strafe around the tower knight.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    yeah just wait until he strikes, avoid that by rolling/blocking, then quickly go to his sides and jab him a few times

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    hm, he sure looks scary, and he killed the shit out of me twice, which i guess is less times than the three amigos on the other side

i keep going back and forth between battle ax, long sword and spear

the spear is good for corridors, i feel like i will use a spear for a long time
    the ax seems good for fighting these bony goons with spears and shields

i don't know where to find humanity, i don't have any

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    just be better

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    If you really need humanity, the rats on the way to the parish can drop the consumable humanity items, so they're pretty nice to kill.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    i killed the big jerk! this game rewards the player with such a sense of a accomplishment

i guess i should use this fire sprite thing on the fire down by the blacksmith

edit
    oh nope
    http://darksouls.wikidot.com/fire-keeper-soul

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    no you need to use that at a
    keeper of the flame

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Goddamn, im thoroughly invested in the new content. I love the new characters, i love that just with the voice, and a outline of a character you can suddenly care about or hate them in this game. Such as the first fire keeper n ... spoiled for douglas
    how even though she does not talk, lautrek killing her is so despicable

Or how with the expansion stuff
    how just enjoyable the 3-4 new new npcs are, especially the giants speech about the dragons and pride

Also there should be a rule, if you invade a person in the new content, and they either kill you or you kill them and they indite you... DO NOT message them on Live so that you can friend them, only in order to call them an asshole. You invaded me and killed me right as I was about find the shortcut, I have a right to indite you BUT im not going to suddenly make its my life purpose to track down your name to yell at you out of the game. Conversely I then invaded you and kicked you off a cliff, budsmoker whatever your name was, so dont leave me hate mail, its part of the game.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    just got into the painted world again. it's a real shame more people aren't using the PvP red soapstone. Gonna start putting that near bonfires, see if anyone summons me.

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    holy shit holy shit
    major spoiler for the new content
    sif makes a reappearance!

not just that, but if you do things in a certain order with the old game and the new game
    major spoiler for the new content!

Barcardi on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    So, I just bought this.

I am no stranger to painful games, having beaten Dungeons of Dredmor, cleared Binding of Isaac bunches of times, and even beating Nethack after a month-long campaign.

What level of dickery can I expect, here?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    this game really isn't dickish

just extremely unforgiving

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Potato potahto.

• Options
    oh well, in that case

this game is extremely dickish

just a gigantic digital cock, slapping you in the face over and over

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Excellent.

Is this basically a roguelike, or can anything you do be saved at all? Like equipment upgrades, or something?

• Options
    it's not a roguelike at all

everything is saved automatically

it's just that, if you die, you lose any loose souls and humanity you have

• Options
    Welp, looks like I have no access to online features because Windows Live is a bag of dicks.

• Options
    like, at all? or at the moment? because GFWL booted me out a few times but it never stopped me from signing in

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Straight up refuses to recognize I'm using the right password. Even made a new account to see if that was problem and nope, still won't accept it and just keeps refusing to let me login.

Only way I'm getting to even save is if I make an offline profile and say goodbye to online features.

Not a great first impression so far!

Goatmon on

• Options
    yeah GFWL is pretty shit

I dunno know what to tell you there

try and google for an answer of send a help ticket to their support?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I'll try that when it's not 3 am.

• Options
    Man, they really need to update the UI to not display XBOX controls.

And to actualy show what the fuck buttons do what. All it gave me was WASD and use ctrl to walk, and now its telling me to use A and I have no clue what the equivalent is, and ESC isn't opening up anything.

ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu

• Options
    Ah son of a bitch there's no mouse controls. I gotta use the keyboard to do everything?

This game really wants me to not play it, apparently.

• Options
    no, there are mouse controls

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Not much graphic adjustment options, though.

Which sucks, because the framerate is kinda choppy and the only thing I can do is turn it to 800x450 to make it any better.

Also I had to quit again because I thought I read the controls right, but it's not letting me interact with the fucking corpse at the start and I still don't know how to open up a menu in this thing, and all I can do is alt+f4 so I can get back to the main menu and check controls again.

Like, 99.99% of games on the PC open a menu with escape. There's no reason not to do this.

Goatmon on

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Okay I feel like a complete moron but I have no idea how to interact with this corpse. I have been toying with this stupid fucking program for an hour and I have not left the first room because these controls are turning me into rain man.

Edit: Okay, it's late and I'm getting very tired, and I just went over every button on the keyboard and could not open a fucking door. I am done with this game for tonight, and will try again tomorrow. I can't honestly say I remember ever having this annoying an experience with a game that ended up being fun later. I'm kinda worried I Just wasted $40 on a shitty PC port, but I'm hoping I'll actually enjoy it when I'm not tired and can figure out how to open a god damned door.

Goatmon on

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    get a gamepad yo, opens up vast new territory

you can actually play the game, for one.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    also, am I the only one that feels super down when I take the time to write useful/uplifting messages and no one rates them?

I rate the ones I find!

validate me!

unff, the baseball bat riposte you get with striking weapons, feels so good

Depressperado on
  • Options
    @Goatmon - some guys released a mod for pc version that greatly improves pretty much everything about it, from what i heard. I think the guy's name is Durante.

when people say "loose souls," do they mean the souls that show up in the HUD near the health and stamina bars? can i use that for summoning, kindling and un-hollowing?

This discussion has been closed.