As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini-Phalla] of Brass: The Devil's Train - Valuable Lessons For All

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Man. I wish Capfalcon couldn't talk. That's a bit irritating. Otherwise, I'm interested to see how the orange roles turn out.

YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE IS IRRITATING STOP

GETTING KILLED BY YOUR TEAMMATE STOP

BUT WE MAKE THE BEST OF THE HAND WE ARE GIVEN STOP

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    hey capfalcon, why don't you just tell us which of your teammates killed you? you can send telegrams together stop.

sticking with my gut phyphor

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    So... Cap can still talk AND vote? This is interesting.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Clarification: The MERCIFUL bonus from the station has no benefit unless all MERCY characters target the same person.

liEt3nH.png
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I can't code.

MrTLicious on
    I agree with The Anonymous vote, if only to get him to reveal what the heck he's talking about.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular

That strikes me as really unlikely.

Bedlam for reasons that I can't really put into words. There's just something strange.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    Clarification: The MERCIFUL bonus from the station has no benefit unless all MERCY characters target the same person.

All living characters, or all characters?

edited October 2011
    MrTLicious wrote:

Deceased players cannot send in actions.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
    That other thread is a zombie thread.

We need to get an exorcist or something.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    MrTLicious wrote:

Right, so if a MERCY character is unable to send in an action, is it impossible to acquire the MERCIFUL bonus?

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    Interesting... This station gives accurate voting totals... I think the manipulative might be revealed....

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    :whistle:

I am Mercy, and I am targeting myself.

If any other Mercy players want the guard to have any affect, they also have to target me.

Otherwise it'll just be wasted. Your choice :).

Also, The Anonymous for his silly "win condition" clue shenanigans yesterday :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    MrTLicious wrote:
    MrTLicious wrote:

Right, so if a MERCY character is unable to send in an action, is it impossible to acquire the MERCIFUL bonus?

If any MERCY characters currently capable of sending in actions do not send in the bonus MERCY action, the MERCIFUL BONUB will not be acquired.

liEt3nH.png
    edited October 2011
    Critical Failures has determined that my post is more important than yours, INANTP, and therefore should be listed as the last post, even though yours is later.

Does that mean I win?

Edit: Never mind? It also decided to duplicate my post after I had already viewed the thread and no duplicate post was there. So rather than ignoring your post, INANTP, it decided that my post was so important that it needed to be made twice, with some delay so that it would definitely be after yours.

Does that mean I win twice?

Edit edit: Now the second post is gone.

I'm not winning, am I? Vanilla is just messing with my mind, isn't it?

kime on
    Steam profile
    Have you met your victory condition?

liEt3nH.png
    BREAKNG NEWS

Kime is completely insane.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    What the hell is going on?

Have you met your victory condition?

It was a meta-win.

But it's very clear, now, that I have, in fact, gone insane. I'm not quite sure what was happening there...

Steam profile
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    TheAnonymous, is your secret that you have an insane win condition which involves getting a number of people to guess what it is?

Also, is the price horrible death?

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Uh, so kime is claiming openly to be a guard, so I guess someone should.... guard him? Can guards even be guarded? That seems rather silly to come out openly and admit as a role.

And what's with the random insanity you're spouting off about here? I'm doubting you're mafia based on the fact that you tend to play mafia differently, but you definitely seem like you're up to something...

What's your game, kime?

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
    edited October 2011
    Who's ever heard of a mercy guard?

Something is definitely fishy.

Edit: Does anyone else see weird text fuzzies near one of the locations (Denmouth) in the OP?

MrTLicious on
    Are there thralls or millers? Any inaccurate information from host PMs?

OK, class, now let's look at an example of a "bad post"
    Cythraul wrote: »
    Uh, so kime is claiming openly to be a guard, so I guess someone should.... guard him? Can guards even be guarded? That seems rather silly to come out openly and admit as a role.

And what's with the random insanity you're spouting off about here? I'm doubting you're mafia based on the fact that you tend to play mafia differently, but you definitely seem like you're up to something...

What's your game, kime?

Let's look at this piece by piece, shall we? Now, what do you see wrong with the first paragraph?

Anyone? Correct, it's called "not reading the narration." See, class, while the whole narration is not necessary to read, it is important to read the important summary stuff at the bottom. Specifically, in this case, where the host talks about the special Mercy mechanic today.

There's something else ambiguous about that first paragraph. It's not clear if Cythraul thinks that all Mercy players are guards, or if he completely misunderstood what the host said. Either way, he should try not to make assumptions like that.

Now, onto the second paragraph. We're not sure if he's noticed that he's posting in a different thread than yesterday, but if we assume he has, then he should know that the forums are being wonky recently. If he knows that, then we can only assume his ignorance on what I was saying is due to some level of illiteracy.

The second error of that paragraph is that he assumes he can predict how I play. This comes up occasionally, but it's always good to be reminded, class: you cannot predict how I play. (:P)

Finally, the last paragraph is simply a follow-up of the earlier ones, so is, of course, rather silly.

I hope you all understand today's lesson on "How not to make a bad post," and I'll see you again tomorrow!

Cythraul, please stay after class:
    I'm just messing with you (mostly)

<3<3

Steam profile
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Who's ever heard of a mercy guard?

Something is definitely fishy.

Edit: Does anyone else see weird text fuzzies near one of the locations (Denmouth) in the OP?

Read the narration....
    Allegaro’s piety inspires the MERCIFUL. MERCIFUL players may privately send in an order to guard a player. If there is no conflict in the decision of the MERCIFUL, that player will receive a divine shield blocking all abilities.

And it's like half the clarifications/posts on this page...

Also, I advise everyone to reread previous posts occasionally. The forums are being weird, and sometimes posts get inserted a bit above where they should be, so you wouldn't wanna miss something!

Steam profile
    MrTLicious wrote:
    Are there thralls or millers? Any inaccurate information from host PMs?

All death information is 100% accurate. Nothing I say is a lie, except when it is.

liEt3nH.png
    Perhaps I should have included tone modifiers.
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    [sarcasm]Who's ever heard of a mercy guard?

Something is definitely fishy. [/sarcasm]

There you go. :P

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I'll placeholder Kime

For the simple fact that it is very possible that he is good and is trying to have a good target for the merciful to aim at. But it is also equally likely that he is evil and is tying to dupe the merciful into providing him with a benefit he shouldnt be having.

I have learned that is impossible to tell good kime from evil kime barring death or a seer result.

• CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Ah I see, for some reason I thought you said you were a guard, a role traditionally very bad to out yourself as. Reading comprehension, my bad. However! You've effectively demanded that all merciful players send their guard in on you when we don't even know your alignment, since by stating you're using your mercy guard on yourself that if anyone else had plans to use it elsewhere it'll all be moot. Well played, I guess?

I know the thread changed (duh) but I was asking about your "Did I win? Did I win?" thing you had going on. Assuming you're just being you. I can live with that.

And I was assuming you weren't mafia, my bad! I'll make sure you die horribly at some point this game :P

<3

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
    Ah I see, for some reason I thought you said you were a guard, a role traditionally very bad to out yourself as. Reading comprehension, my bad. However! You've effectively demanded that all merciful players send their guard in on you when we don't even know your alignment, since by stating you're using your mercy guard on yourself that if anyone else had plans to use it elsewhere it'll all be moot. Well played, I guess?

The guard ONLY works if everyone targets the same person. There aren't good ways to ensure that happens. So I chose one that I think has a high chance of success, and since I'm selfish I put it on myself.

Merciful people are free to talk to me if they wish, but unless you've got some very compelling evidence and a very good plan, I'm not changing my target. Everyone else can choose to either let me be guarded, or waste the ability the village has.

(There's a right answer :P)
    I know the thread changed (duh) but I was asking about your "Did I win? Did I win?" thing you had going on. Assuming you're just being you. I can live with that.

I was just being silly because of the Vanilla-shenangans. Thought that was obvious...

Steam profile
    I can confirm that kime is merciful, though that does not preclude him from being evil. Capfalcon, for example, was mindful rather than murderous. And since I've already been in contact with one of the mafia (and the mafia told me the truth) I would appreciate it if everyone sent me your phrenological state (the M-word in your role, in layman's terms) so that I can complete my research. I'm a neutral, and I don't want to know what allegiance you hold, just the M-word. This train has surprisingly few MUNDANE travelers, and so I'd like to get to know you all better.

This is a bit meta but think about this:

The mafia probably has one of each of the phrenologies, except probably MUNDANE.

A village kime would have realized this, and so would have known that his reveal would not work, because the MERCIFUL mafia wouldn't guard a villager. So a village kime would not have made such a reveal.

Therefore, kime is the MERCIFUL mafia.

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Or kime is doing what he always does and spreading confusion and misinformation and he's not MERCIFUL at all.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
    If there is a Merciful mafia that can affect this public guard, may I please ask how it would ever EVER benefit the village? It's like having a mechanic in the game to just mess with the village, since it can only do what the mafia want.

That's ridiculous.

Steam profile
    Confusion and misinformation HOW?

I'm fine if you wanna vote for me. But if you do it by being silly, I'm gonna call you out on it.

Steam profile
    edited October 2011
    It would have benefited the village if the merciful mafia were dead.

Edit: Also, not all mechanics benefit the village...

MrTLicious on
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    The Anonymous

I'm still weirded out by whatever it was he was doing yesterday.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I think that Anonymous wouldn't have been so noticeable if he were really mafia.

Probably.

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Throwing out Anon just because he posts pictures of Charlie Sheen seems like overreacting. I'll put MaxFrost for now.

I examined the heads of those removed from the train last night, and now will present my findings:

Tmoiy: Mercy
    jdarksun: Mayhem
    Stever: Mundane
    Capfalcon: Mindful

Jdarksun being mayhem surprised me. Last Phalla of Brass, I believe I was part of his order, and would've expected him to be merciful or mindful, not tending towards chaos.