As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek: Phasers Are Science

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    how did Voyager ruin the Borg and Q?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    turned them into salamanders

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    And then salamander Borg and Q had sex, their babies turned out to be dinosaurs from earth.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    no, they turned Janeway into a salamander

and then she had salamander babies

great show

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Just yesterday I was thinking I'd start watching DS9. It's the only Trek series I haven't really watched at all. I actually haven't seen a single episode of it. :<

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Darric wrote:
    Just yesterday I was thinking I'd start watching DS9. It's the only Trek series I haven't really watched at all. I actually haven't seen a single episode of it. :<

That's the best one.

I mean, you could make arguments for TOS, I suppose, accounting for time and all that, but then you'd be defending "And the Children Shall Lead"

chiasaur11 on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote:

Let's see. The Borg used to be this great unknowable, unstoppable, completely alien threat. Voyager defanged them completely, made them understandable, and carefully removed every hint of menace they once had.

Q was an all-powerful, immortal, Loki-type trickster who could be malevolent or benevolent as the mood took him. Voyager made Q Janeway's bitch. Also the sheer idiocy of The Q and the Grey... humans should not be able to fight beings such as the Q and win.

Voyager just robbed the Borg and the Q of all their mystery, wonder, power, awe and horror and made them dull and stupid and bland and... and just terrible.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote:

great show

adfasdk;lfja;

Didn't the Doctor say it was because of rapid evolution?

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote:

great show

adfasdk;lfja;

People keep bringing this up, i don't remember this ever happening. I require an episode name.

NO TIME!

well, time to sleep

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Darric wrote:

That's the best one.

So I've heard repeatedly.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    MrMonroe wrote:

great show

adfasdk;lfja;

People keep bringing this up, i don't remember this ever happening. I require an episode name.

Threshold

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    MrMonroe wrote:

Let's see. The Borg used to be this great unknowable, unstoppable, completely alien threat. Voyager defanged them completely, made them understandable, and carefully removed every hint of menace they once had.

What about the Borg in Descent?

SabreMau on
    Melding wrote:
    MrMonroe wrote:

great show

adfasdk;lfja;

Threshold, if I'm not mistaken. In which Voyager discovers a way to nearly instantly return home with only one, easily fixed minor downside and then doesn't use it.

Also Paris and Janeway turn into methane-breathing salamanders because that's what evolution says will happen to humanity.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, Star Trek discussion. The show everyone thinks I got my name from (I didn't).

I do like it though; I used to watch it with my grandad and uncle when I was younger. I haven't seen an episode in years though.

JtgVX0H.png
    that sounds like how evolution works

yup

Threshold, if I'm not mistaken. In which Voyager discovers a way to nearly instantly return home with only one, easily fixed minor downside and then doesn't use it.

Also Paris and Janeway turn into methane-breathing salamanders because that's what evolution says will happen to humanity.

An easily fixable downside and a holographic Doctor who wouldn't be affected, unless he evolves into an iPod or something

And yeah, evolution doesn't actually work like it does in Pokemon.

Melding wrote:
    MrMonroe wrote:

great show

adfasdk;lfja;

this all makes perfect sense.

TNG turned the Borg into individuals and gave them names and a friendly relationship with Geordi and Voyager ruined them by demystifying them?

Darmak wrote:
    Oh hey, Star Trek discussion. The show everyone thinks I got my name from (I didn't).

I do like it though; I used to watch it with my grandad and uncle when I was younger. I haven't seen an episode in years though.

when the walls fell

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    My roommate has been watching Voyager and nearly every single time I over hear it whatever is going on is the dumbest shit ever written.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    MrMonroe wrote:
    TNG turned the Borg into individuals and gave them names and a friendly relationship with Geordi and Voyager ruined them by demystifying them?

Wasn't that only one Borg, Hugh, and then the entire episode was about how, now that that Hugh is an actual individual, he cannot be used to commit genocide on the entire Borg race?

Yeah... OK, that defanged the Borg, too. But at least it was in the service of something more interesting than the Borg kids or the shared Borg dreamspace or the Borg queen or Species 8472.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote:

You have summed it up perfectly.

edited October 2011
    MrMonroe wrote:

Wasn't that only one Borg, Hugh, and then the entire episode was about how, now that that Hugh is an actual individual, he cannot be used to commit genocide on the entire Borg race?

Yeah... OK, that defanged the Borg, too. But at least it was in the service of something more interesting than the Borg kids or the shared Borg dreamspace or the Borg queen or Species 8472.

But then Hugh went back to his ship and individuality spread across it, so they stopped working until Lore came along and taught them hand-to-hand combat.

SabreMau on
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Oh man

Borg Queen

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    here is the problem I have with the Borg:

in an age when you can use replicators to produce small mechanical items and you're aware of the fact that the Borg are resistant to the preferred weapon of the age because of an energy shield

why would you not keep a couple of crossbows around just in case? I can understand not wanting to shoot a gun in your spaceship but seriously, this is not difficult.

i would assume they have shields for normal weapons as well.

SabreMau wrote:
    MrMonroe wrote:

But then Hugh went back to his ship and individuality spread across it, so they stopped working until Lore came along and taught them hand-to-hand combat.

OK, I give up. TNG was pretty terrible to the Borg too. I guess Voyager was just the final nail for me.

But at least Deep Space Nine wasn't that terrible to the Borg. If only because the Borg only show up once to kill Sisko's wife. And, indirectly, to justify the existence of the Defiant.

What I'm saying is, I guess there's a reason Deep Space Nine is my favourite Trek. At least they didn't humanise the Prophets that much.

Alright, just hear me out here

What if you deployed an oil slick in front of the Borg

• BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    Didn't Picard fuck their shit with a Tommy gun he made in the Holodeck?

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited October 2011
    BusterK wrote:
    Melding wrote:

Yeah, didn't work then:

1eiY2.jpg

Of course, that was one, maybe two Borg (I forget). Perhaps they'd adapt after a bunch of them were gunned down.

SabreMau on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    OK, I give up. TNG was pretty terrible to the Borg too.

BUT IT EFFING INTRODUCED THE BORG

• ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    I don't see how holographic bullets could be considered normal weapons

Not everything in a holodeck is made of light. Some of it is actual replicated matter.

BusterK wrote:
    Melding wrote:

It was a hologram, clearly they didn't have shields set up for that energy signature at that time.

Worf had a bunch of physical weapons and he never used them

BusterK wrote:
    Worf had a bunch of physical weapons and he never used them

Except that he cut up a Borg with a knife while he was outside in his spacesuit.

• Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    Well. I know what I'm doing when I get home from work

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Lovefilm seem reluctant to give me TNG Series 4 Disc 1.

I've been waiting to watch "Best of Both Worlds" in a single sitting for ages and they won't let me. :(

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Also I thought this thread was going to be about some scientist making a discovery that could someday lead to the phaser. :(