As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Trek: Phasers Are Science

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Picard could solve problems diplomatically because the other delegates were afraid for their personal safety

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oh shit, I just watched the season 2 finale to DS9
    Poor New Bajor/Odyssey, that is definitely an effective way to show that the new villains don't mess around

And this is only the beginning

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    It was because Picard had to constantly fight for his life on the Holodeck. That fucking thing, seriously, a bigger deathtrap than the flesh melting gas tubes next to the warp core.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Poor New Bajor/Odyssey, that is definitely an effective way to show that the new villains don't mess around

One thing about the fight in that episode:
    Generations, THAT's how a Galaxy class ship deals with effectively having no shields. None of this "shoot them once then try to run away before technobabbling your way out of it" stuff, you just dump more energy into weapons and make a proper fight of it!

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

One thing about the fight in that episode:
    Generations, THAT's how a Galaxy class ship deals with effectively having no shields. None of this "shoot them once then try to run away before technobabbling your way out of it" stuff, you just dump more energy into weapons and make a proper fight of it!
    My DVD hitched up for several seconds right after the ship collided into the Odyssey, as if to rub it in

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    FirmSkater wrote:
    Okay Season 4 Ep 8 - "Future Imperfect"

Might be the most hilariously bad episode of TNG yet.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Future_Imperfect_(episode)

Still better than Code of Honor

Future Imperfect was great, what are you talking about. I love Riker episodes.

What's the one where Beverly is doing voiceovers throughout the episode? That one might be a runner up to Code of Honor

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote:
    R3Ahq.jpg

I'd still sex up any permutation of the three. Not Sisko, though.
    I'd need him to narrate.

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote:
    Olivaw wrote: »
    FirmSkater wrote:
    Okay Season 4 Ep 8 - "Future Imperfect"

Might be the most hilariously bad episode of TNG yet.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Future_Imperfect_(episode)

Still better than Code of Honor

Future Imperfect was great, what are you talking about. I love Riker episodes.

What's the one where Beverly is doing voiceovers throughout the episode? That one might be a runner up to Code of Honor

I like Riker episodes too but everything that happened in the episode is just so ridiculous. And then the big reveal at the end combined with Riker's "whatever I'm cool with it"/non-reaction to it was hilarious.

sig2.jpg
    In other news I finally got to Darmok last night. I would say that episode did "aliens" better than almost any other episode.

sig2.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Hells yes, the Defiant is great.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Got this one from Takei too:

381495_328685953827531_205344452828349_1234324_2048513525_n.jpg

BLM - ACAB
  • tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    Caught the episode where Dax gets called a Risean slut, that was pretty awesome. Also I love the ferengi episodes.

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Picard violated the Prime Directive at least once and Wesley was there for it!

It was HIS FAULT

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I watched Trek Nation last night. it's a film done by Gene Roddenberry's son about the son trying to understand his father through Star Trek fans and people involved in the show. It was pretty interesting and nice little tribute.

Picard violated the Prime Directive at least once and Wesley was there for it!

It was HIS FAULT

I think in an episode I just watched he said he violated it (something like) seven times.

Still a funny joke though!

sig2.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    From The Onion

The Federation Is Too Lenient About The Prime Directive
    As even the lowliest mudfarmer on Deneb IV knows, Starfleet's Prime Directive is intended to preserve the cultural integrity of developing alien worlds. Starship officers are forbidden to interfere with the development of any pre-warp culture.
    But as you well know, that's not the only time the esteemed Captain Kirk used emotion-driven logic to openly flout the Directive. On star date 3156.2, he interfered with the development of a preatomic civilization which was being controlled by a central computer. Kirk's rationale this time? That the civilization was not developing at all, but stagnant!
    Consider one particular case, by no means isolated, from the modern era. The ship is Starfleet's newly commissioned flagship, the Enterprise NCC-1701-D, Captain Jean-Luc Picard commanding. The star date is 42695.3, the location the tectonically unstable fourth planet of the Secundi Drelma system, a world about to be torn apart by volcanic action. The senior officers of the Enterprise all agree that helping the planet's inhabitants would constitute a violation of the Prime Directive. And so it would. But that intrepid android, Lt. Commander Data, intercepts a radio transmission from a young girl who lives on Secundi Drelma IV. Captain Picard is so moved by the winsome lass' plight that he finds a way to save her planet.

Heroic? Perhaps. Admirable? Certainly not! By allowing themselves to be influenced by wanton emotionalism, the officers of the Enterprise-D put the balance of that entire quadrant in jeopardy!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    To be fair the Prime Directive exists narratively to be broken

In setting it's probably got no few detractors amongst the Federation for being an excuse to not use their immense power to actually help developing civilisations.

• FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    And that's what the problem is with the PD: it exists to create artificial drama, when hey, they're dealing with aliens and cosmic energy beings in OUTER SPACE. There should be plenty of material there for drama, without some Imaginary Future Rule for everyone to wring their hands over.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    remember that one time Riker fucked an alien from a near warp society and they had Penguin hands?

you think he ever replicated himself a glove?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    That episode was from the winner of a fanfiction writing contest right?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Mysst wrote:
    remember that one time Riker fucked an alien

:rotate:

BLM - ACAB
    cB557
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    FCD wrote:
    And that's what the problem is with the PD: it exists to create artificial drama, when hey, they're dealing with aliens and cosmic energy beings in OUTER SPACE. There should be plenty of material there for drama, without some Imaginary Future Rule for everyone to wring their hands over.

In Kirk's era, it was a kind of reasonable thing. Federation, when possible, avoids messing with alien civilizations where they'd destroy the culture by accident. If it's a "do this or they die" then you do because they aren't entirely stupid.

On top of that, there's about as many episodes that are, basically "And THIS is why we have a prime directive" (Nazi planet, gangster planet, Vietnam War Allegory planet) as there are "I'm Captain James T Kirk and the Prime Directive can suck it" (Any planet run by a computer).

Next Generation, though, it's a religious dogma. Prime Directive doesn't exist to primarily to preserve a good (planet of the very attractive naked people) or prevent an evil (Nazi planet), but for its own sake. Doesn't do much good to save a culture from contamination if everyone in it is dead, and the "What if we save Hitler?" thing applies to your own civvies just as much. Maybe more.

cB557
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    FCD wrote:

In Kirk's era, it was a kind of reasonable thing. Federation, when possible, avoids messing with alien civilizations where they'd destroy the culture by accident. If it's a "do this or they die" then you do because they aren't entirely stupid.

On top of that, there's about as many episodes that are, basically "And THIS is why we have a prime directive" (Nazi planet, gangster planet, Vietnam War Allegory planet) as there are "I'm Captain James T Kirk and the Prime Directive can suck it" (Any planet run by a computer).

Next Generation, though, it's a religious dogma. Prime Directive doesn't exist to primarily to preserve a good (planet of the very attractive naked people) or prevent an evil (Nazi planet), but for its own sake. Doesn't do much good to save a culture from contamination if everyone in it is dead, and the "What if we save Hitler?" thing applies to your own civvies just as much. Maybe more.

I guess they're just not willing to start writing in exceptions for "planets run by computer" or "planet about to blow the fuck up" because they think that once they start, they'll never stop

At least that's how I think they justify it at some point

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    FCD wrote:

Yeah the PD did change a lot. Early on it was a "look, if it's clear that as soon as you give these guys anything more than a sharp stick they are going to start brutally murdering each other, don't do it," guideline type thing. And it was also a thing put in there to show that the Federation weren't Cultural Imperialists, but instead they respected the traditions of other civilisations and preferred to preserve their cultures rather than run rough-shod over them. If the aliens needed help though, the Federation would lend a hand.

And then it became some sort of unbreakable rule where if you came across a bunch of primitive aliens who would all die or something if the Federation didn't step in, and they decided to act, that was breaking the rules. Which showed less of the Federation not being Cultural Imperialists and more of them being moral cowards.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Best one is still # 15. But that's a good one too.

edited December 2011
    Man does anybody else think that the Season 5 episode "A Matter of Time" was like, a horrible episode.

Not horrible in the sense that it was poorly made, but horrible in the sense that they purposefully stranded a guy hundreds of years in the future because he stole some shit which they got back anyhow? I know the dude was a liar, possibly a murderer, and a horrible person in general but it just felt wrong.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    eh, it's the future, he's better off

0BnD8l3.gif
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    TNG can burn in a mediocre holo-projection of hell.

Sisko was in the shit.

Sisko is so great

Avery Brooks just looks like he is having so much fun when he hams it up

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    avery brooks needs to do more stuff

Past Tense: Best time travel episode(s)?

They honestly didn't need the "How did humanity let this happen?" moment right at the end, their point was already pretty well made.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Past Tense: Best time travel episode(s)?

They're good episodes, but not good time travel episodes. The time travel is complete bullshit.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote:

Looks fantastic, but I don't know if I'm willing to shell out the bucks just to make it look better.

• hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

Looks fantastic, but I don't know if I'm willing to shell out the bucks just to make it look better.

As a blatant Star Trek whore, I will definitely buy this.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Daaaaaaamn that does look fine.

I started watching Deep Space Nine and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. I wasn't sure what to expect but so far its smooth sailing.

icGJy2C.png
    I am really interested to find out what kind of role Benedict Cumberbatch will have in the new JJ Trek movie.

BLM - ACAB
  • ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular