As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rocksmith 2014 out in October Allegedly! Bass expansion now just $10 on all systems!

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    According to steam I played this for 2.5 hours last night. I agree pretty handidly with JOE up there. I was getting a bit of video lag that I'm going to play around with tonight to try to correct. Audio seemed just fine though. Having the fret numbers on the blocks would be extremely helpful actually. That's a great idea. I believe there is an option to display as standard tab though. I saw something scrolling at the bottom of the screen mention it, I just didn't bother to go hunting in the options for it. Sight-reading guitar music like this is pretty new concept to me and I've been playing for, well, too long for how low my skill level is. Getting used to that has been more of a challenge than actually playing the songs once I learned the part. I figure that will come with time and practice as well. Overall I'm happy with the purchase.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, I think that when they talk about switching to & from standard tab, they don't mean they'll display in standard tab (with numbers on the string lines) -- they mean they'll invert the strings (so that low E is on the bottom, as in standard tab, rather than on the top, as on the guitar when you're holding it) -- it looks like it starts you in "inverted" mode by default. I'd love to be proved wrong, though.

And really, I'm sure the best thing I can do is just sit down and keep playing until I get used to it.

• Options
    Ah, maybe that is it. At this point I think that would confuse me more.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    yeah you will want to have the layout "inverted" if you want it to read kind of like guitar tabs.They may have made that the default on the PC, but it definitely wasn't the default on consoles. You will get used to it, though I still wish it was more clear exactly where a note will actually land.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ordering tomorrow. The PC price is already creeping up a little. Hurry up paycheck. D:

So EU is getting different DLC? On the PC? I don't mind missing out on some big collections, but I'd be mighty pissed if we simply don't get some of the songs released over here. :I

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm a little late to this party...

For a dude who has always wanted a way to learn some basic guitar skills and is susceptible for gamification, would this be a good thing to look into?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm a little late to this party...

For a dude who has always wanted a way to learn some basic guitar skills and is susceptible for gamification, would this be a good thing to look into?

Oh my god it was made just for you.

When I booted it up and it said "for Darkewolfe" I was confused, but now it makes total sense.

(seriously though, yes. I've had everyone from beginners to really, really good guitarists try the game and everyone agrees at very least it's a ton of fun and puts a real guitar in your hands. The level of skill you get out of it can be argued, but you'll absolutely get a good start and some great intro knowledge at the very least.)

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Ordering tomorrow. The PC price is already creeping up a little. Hurry up paycheck. D:

So EU is getting different DLC? On the PC? I don't mind missing out on some big collections, but I'd be mighty pissed if we simply don't get some of the songs released over here. :I

While these are just compilations of previously released DLC, I just checked and it looks like the EU is missing out on a lot of the DLC. Most of it is American classic rock and metal. Curiously missing from the EU DLC list is also Judas Priest, which is probably the saddest thing because everybody needs more Judas Priest in their life.

re: Darkewolfe:
    The game starts out literally with: This is a guitar pic. You hold it like this (FMV of a dude holding a pic). It then walks you through how to tune each string (FMV of a dude tuning a string), then walks you through a simplified version of your first guitar riff. Having already been playing guitar for a few years I was pretty much ready to tear my hair out by this point (it is completely unskippable), but I can appreciate how someone who is picking up a guitar for the very first time would need that info. After that you play your first set and then the game is largely in your hands. After you play a song, it will tell you to check out tutorials in how to do whatever techniques were used in that song but it's up to you to actually go to the tutorial section. I've never done any of them so I'm not sure what they're like.

I think if you were using it as a practice tool, your typical workflow should be something like:
    sign in->play guitarcade minigames to warm up-> play journey -> do tutorials for songs you just played -> play more guitarcade minigames for cool down.

that said it's absolutely a fun game to simply screw around in.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    I had the same feeling of "get this over with" when it was explaining how to hold a pic and how to tune a guitar. I've been at this for well over 15 years, give me some notes to play. Then I thought of my drummer friend who has considered this for learning to play a bit of guitar and said "ohhh, right. This would be useful for someone that has never played before".

Something else that bothers me a bit. For the first riff, playing "Boys Don't Cry" it wants me to play the high e open when my brain says "playing the B on the 5th fret would be way easier for this riff". I tried it, the game didn't recognized that I played the correct note on a different string. Or maybe it recognized what I did, but it didn't accept this alternate way of playing the riff. I wonder if there are other instances I'll encounter like this that will make my brain get a bit weirded out.

Again though, overall I feel this was definitely worth the price I paid for it. It extended my normal practice time by about an hour and a half the first night. Hopefully I keep that up.

• Options
    Weird. I thought it was supposed to recognize and allow enharmonics?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    I really hope this goes on sale soon on Steam. I have the PS3 version, but I would so much rather have it on PC, where I can easily throw on my headphones and play.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    it's possible your strings could have been ever so slightly off tune. As far as I know, the technology behind this cannot possibly figure out which string the note came from. It should just be looking at the frequency of the signal coming in from the pickups.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    It should definitely recognize the 5th fret as the high e. sure you weren't out of tune or accidentally on the 4th or 6th fret? Also there is a quick tune and a precise tune in the game, I believe there's an option to always precise tune. I like to tune my guitar first as the game is pretty accurate, but slightly off at times to me.

The interface does take some getting used to. I want to say it took me a good 3 hours or so to adjust, and chords still are funky at times. Man it's been awhile since I fired up this game, now I feel like playing tonight

• Options
    Wild thought; DLC is giftable on Steam, right? Could EU players get the unreleased songs via gifting from the US?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    So, I played the song some more and this time it was recognized. Perhaps it was a bit out of tune the last time. Not sure. I have problems in Ducks with any note above the 12th fret. Checked the intonation on the guitar and it's fine. Going to try one of my other guitars as this one is primarily for rythmn playing only and starts to buzz above the 12th fret. So that's probably it. Getting chords right has been a challenge as well, at least until I learn the song. Then it's a matter of making the transition.

• Options
    So it appears the boxed PC version was the wrong call since holy shit they managed to fail to box a product code into a whole batch of copies.

My Rocksmith PC version is here, I can't install it because I have no product code. I also have no physical reciept since it's an amazon order, easily faked, so Ubisoft could be complete dicks about this and refuse to provide me with a code.

Fanfuckingtastic.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    wow that's fucking horrible. You don't ship off a cereal box if you forgot to put the bloody cereal in the box-- without the cereal it's just a box.

acidlacedpenguin on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    Same thing happened to me too. In fact Amazon managed to send me 2 copies of the game. So naturally I assumed the code might be in the second one, but nope. Both empty, and now I'll probably have to explain to amazon that I ripped through the second packaging anyways.

As for the game, the audio lag is going to drive me crazy. I have the wow wireless headset from creative labs, so I'm guessing that's the main culprit. Looks like I'll have to go out and buy some speakers although that kinda defeats the reason why I got it.

As for the game itself, I've only played the demo a bit, but I find myself super stressed out when trying to play the riffs on the note chart, but if I just ignore it and play along be ear I'm ok.

• Options
    My CD Key was emailed from Amazon, not Ubisoft, at 1pm today.

Installing now, excited to get to play a little before big essay day tomorrow!

I've owned a guitar going on 5 years now, but I'd still call myself a beginner. Hopefully gameification will make the duller parts of practice more fun. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I love me some Super Ducks and Night of the Chordead.
    I find scale runner very frustrating for some reason.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Rook wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me too. In fact Amazon managed to send me 2 copies of the game. So naturally I assumed the code might be in the second one, but nope. Both empty, and now I'll probably have to explain to amazon that I ripped through the second packaging anyways.

As for the game, the audio lag is going to drive me crazy. I have the wow wireless headset from creative labs, so I'm guessing that's the main culprit. Looks like I'll have to go out and buy some speakers although that kinda defeats the reason why I got it.

As for the game itself, I've only played the demo a bit, but I find myself super stressed out when trying to play the riffs on the note chart, but if I just ignore it and play along be ear I'm ok.

If Amazon doesn't make you give the second back, hit me up. :P

Edit: I guess that doesn't make any sense, because there still won't be a key.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Oh man. This week's DLC. Yes.

I am still way too early in the game to warrant purchasing it, but I love me some Avenged Sevenfold (read: these specific tracks) it's like it was custom picked for me! :D

And I'm broke for another couple weeks! D:

Can't wait to play Nightmare. Cannot wait.

Maybe this is residual Guitar Hero/Rock Band love, cause A7X songs were always a blast to play there. But Nightmare for sure never leaves my playlists, and Beast And The Harlot is way up there too. Afterlife is the weakest of em, but it's not exactly something I skip past either. ;D

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Man, fuck Queens of the Stone Age being so early in the progression, those long, repeating stretches of crazy strumming is not fun when you suck and have not built up the proper muscles yet. :P I need me some slow, relaxed songs!

• Options
    Go With The Flow is by far the easiest song to me. ;D

By far!

I wonder what that infers about my wrists.

(I am terrible at Quick Pick Dash)

Are you strumming both up and down? All downstrums would be disastrous on that song.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Go With The Flow is by far the easiest song to me. ;D

By far!

I wonder what that infers about my wrists.

(I am terrible at Quick Pick Dash)

Are you strumming both up and down? All downstrums would be disastrous on that song.

Pretty much all downstrums, yes. Mostly because when I attempted both up and down, it did not end well. :lol: But that's because those strums didn't show up in the qualifying rehearsal I did, only in the actual performance, so it caught me off guard. It'll at least be a good song to practice on.

• Options
    For the future of your playing, learn to alternate strum. I found that song pretty easy. Yes, I've been playing for awhile though. Seriously, work on getting your strength up for alternate strum / picking.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Oh, I know its something I need to learn, I just don't have it yet. But I'm starting from nothing, so, that's not surprising. :lol:

But given I had to buy a left-handed guitar for this, I'm pretty well invested, so it'll happen eventually. :P

Edit: Also, it wasn't so much "hard", as I scored higher on it than any other song, but it was a lot of work, :lol:

InkSplat on
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Damn I can see myself playing a lot of this game, my cable came Wednesday and I'm already at 10 hours and really enjoying it apart from kings of leon

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    I definitely would not call myself an A7X fan, but damn if Nightmare isn't fun as all hell to play.

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Thread goes up to page 11.

So, I was so impressed with this with my various basses, and I've been practising so much recently, I decided to get a new guitar, Rock Band Squier wasn't really doing it for me, and I no longer have the American Fender Strat.

Picked up an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro Plus top. My god, she screams, I love her.

This game seems more responsive with guitar than bass too, audio lag isn't so noticeable. Hope the DLC keeps rolling, I'm buying most of it!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    One random gripe: They got the opening riff in More Than a Feeling wrong. In the original recording, it's being played on a 12-string acoustic guitar, and in the Rocksmith transcription, notes originally played on the G string (and doubled an octave higher by the second G string) are moved up to the high E string. It's really messing me up ... Still having fun with it, though.

Having said that, I wish there was a way to just listen to the tracks and/or to isolate the guitar parts (especially for songs I haven't heard before), and I'd pay good cash money for a book of actual tablature transcriptions.

• Options
    If anyone has the PC version, all of the DLC appears to be 35% off on the steam store. Picked up a number of songs and showed my dad the game today.

• Options
    GassernormGassernorm Registered User regular
    New DLC, Pantera, Rush, Foo Fighters and nickleback, yeah fuck nickleback.

• Options
    I really need to take a look at the DLC, but my wallet is scared to. Been thinking about playing this again for awhile. All my progress got reset somehow (in songs) so had to start off with one note every few seconds and never picked it back up.

• Options
    Yeah there is a function somewhere in the menus that allows you to reset all your song progress, you probably hit it by accident or something.

I haven't played in awhile, but I finally got around to cleaning my game/music room, so maybe it's about time to dust off the rocksmith and brutally murder my wallet on DLC.

• Options
    That's a bummer.
    I've noticed something I didn't realize the game would do. As I've progressed in other songs, now, when I play a new song the game has realized "hey there buddy, we know you can play. You don't get to start on the easiest setting anymore". It's been a blessing and a curse. A blessing when playing things like Barracuda or Smoke on the Water. A curse when the solo for Painkiller starts.

• Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    Is there a way to force the game to a harder difficulty setting? I've played guitar for 10 years and am getting bored to tears playing one note at a time. Also, I'd love a free play area where you can just play around with different guitar/amp/effect combos.

Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    Pookiepoo wrote: »
    Is there a way to force the game to a harder difficulty setting? I've played guitar for 10 years and am getting bored to tears playing one note at a time. Also, I'd love a free play area where you can just play around with different guitar/amp/effect combos.

All of these things are in there, but I can't tell you exactly where off the top of my head at the moment. Check the options menu and such for the difficulty.

• Options
    Pookiepoo wrote: »

In the PC version, you press A to go to the Amp mode (the free play area) -- it's listed as an option on the main menu and on the event menu, and probably in other places; I assume there's something similar for the console. (Note that you have to unlock most of the guitars, amps and effects before you can use them.) As far as difficulty, I went into the difficulty menu in Options and the only things to choose were "set everything to highest achieved difficulty" and "set everything to lowest achieved difficulty" so I'm not sure if you can just arbitrarily set a difficulty floor.

• Options
    There's a way to free play, I want to say it might just be hit X on the 360 in the menu's? It's in there, maybe amp mode.

Also They had said they were going to put in a feature where you could set all songs to the highest difficulty, but I don't know if it's been patched in.