As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[mini-Phalla] of Angels - Village Victory!

MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Critical Failures
Silence. Silence except for the crackling fire. I was aware of it before, but I didn’t actually hear it. I knew it was warm, but I couldn’t feel it. Objects that used to be clearly observable were now obfuscated. How do I even know they’re still there? Eyes. Open. Close. There. Gone. I see them. Rather limited: Susceptible to darkness, defined field of vision. It’s a wonder that the species managed to survive at all, let alone prosper.

A million new sensations, all at once. It’s a bit overwhelming. I need to sit. Why do I need to sit? I’m light-headed.

Having a corporeal form wasn’t anything like what I had expected. Not unpleasant, per se, but not… Well, not what was promised. Giving up an eternity for the chance to feel….

Was it worth it?

Pretty generic stuff:
Welcome to my newest, and most sumptuous mini-phalla. Click here if you don’t know what that is (How many times do you think people actually click those links?). Now that you have a vague idea of what this is, you surely want to play. To enroll, simply signup in bold lime green or some other bright color.

This game is designed for 21 players. If there seems to be overwhelming demand, I may increase this to 25. Unfortunately, the game is already bordering on the recommended length limit so this is unlikely. All the standard rules apply.

If you have a question, you can ask me publicly in bold dark orange or privately by responding to my role PM. Mechanics questions are better asked privately, because it may give something away about your role. We don’t want that. No questions will be answered privately before roles are assigned.

Because this is phalla, you will vote everyday in bold red. Vote for someone you find suspicious, don’t like all that much, or wronged you in a previous game. I honestly don’t care, but you must vote for someone. Ideally you should use your vote to further your Victory Condition. The “winner” of the vote will perish before the next day. There is no vote manipulation or trickle. Not voting will result in an inactivity warning. Not voting again will result in your replacement by a reserve subject to availability. Vote close, as well as the deadline for all private orders, will be at 11PM Eastern/8PM Pacific. Please include the day of your order in PMs (e.g. Day 3: Kill everybody), though this is not, in the strictest sense, mandatory. All of the normal rules (no proving stuff, no adding people to conversations, etc.) are in effect. In terms of vote editing, just don't do it. Please. Pretty please. I won't be going back to check if votes are changed, so if you vote and then edit your vote post, who you are voting for will be at the whim of my checking schedule. Just make a new post. Lying is perfectly fine in phalla, but messing with the host is not.

If you think I would find your conversation interesting, feel free to add me to it, but I’m not particularly interested in things like:

<B:L>: hay kime
<B:L>: Are you mafia?
<kime>: yessss. I’M ALWAYSssssss EVIL!
<B:L>: I knew it.

If you feel like making a proboard or some other non-forum means of communication and you would like to submit orders/ask clarifications from there please do invite me so that I can oblige.

Stuff specific to this game that you should care about:

In terms of transparency, this game is pretty much going to be the opposite of my last one. That is, all the relevant information you need to plan an effective strategy should be somewhere in this section and your role PM, and deaths will reveal everything. Vig kills will be labeled differently than mafia kills, etc. No host messages will be intentionally misleading and are accurate to the extent outlined in your role PM.

So what makes this game special? The twist is that the abilities we normally associate with phalla will not be assigned to players, but to characters in the game. That actually sounds kind of normal, so the real difference is that (most) people can change their character. Some characters have abilities. Some do not. If you’re stuck as a vanillager, fret not, for you can change characters and become someone more powerful! Victory conditions, however, are player specific. That means that no character is inherently tied to one side (unless their possessor cannot Soul Walk). Sounds like chaos, but the system is actually quite orderly. All villagers and one of the mafia will have the Soul Walk ability.

Soul Walk:
All players with the “Soul Walk” ability can choose, in addition to any nightly action taken by their possession, to attempt to possess another character. Successfully doing so will release your previous possession. A soul walk will be successful if no other player is also attempting to possess that character, and the character is vacant. A character can be vacant either because no one previously possessed them, or because the player that possessed them successfully transferred. After switching, it takes one day to adjust to your new body, during which time you cannot use your character’s abilities. This does not apply to the first body you possess (you may use your starting abilities on day 1). Individual abilities may modify these rules. If multiple solutions exist according to the rules (for example, when n people try to rotate characters) the solution with the largest number of possible movements is taken. You may also choose at any time to release your character, and become bodiless. However, bodiless characters become mute (you cannot communicate with players in the game), and your soul withers into nothingness if you remain bodiless for more than one day.

The other somewhat unique thing about this game is that all character abilities are used on other characters, not players! This means you can’t grudge vig someone or seer someone on reputation. We’ll see how that plays out.

“But MrT,” you cry, “how are we, in our infinite ignorance, supposed to target a character?” Fear not, my friend, for a list of the characters in this game will be provided below the player list after signups, and will be updated each day after narration. I will be using a random name generator and randomly assigning these names to roles, so don’t both meta-analyzing it. You’ll notice, once it’s posted, that there are many more characters than players. This is done for a variety of reasons, including balance, Soul Walk mobility, and rol(l/e) call prevention (trust me, that strategy is not optimal for the village on day 1 - don’t try it).

You are allowed to vote for either a player, OR a character. Votes on a player and the character that they possess are combined during the vote phase to determine a winner.

Player vs. character death:
If a character dies while you inhabit them, you die. It is possible for players with Soul Walk to be “evicted” from their character (bound souls cannot survive the eviction process). If this happens you are essentially dead (you cannot chat/vote) except that you have one try to possess another character. Failure to enter another body results in your demise. If you are voted out, any character you are attached to at the time of death dies as well. On a closely related note…

Order of Actions
Character abilities -> Soul Walk -> Vote (does not trickle) -> Other Soul Abilities

That should cover just about everything. I’ll post unaddressed clarifications right below this. If signups are slow I may try to add some kind of teaser text to garner interest. It will likely be ineffective.

Clarifications:
Q:Is it possible for a character to become bodiless, then fail to enter a body repeatedly due to conflicting Soul Walks, causing them to wither away?

A:Attempting to Soul Walk will never make you become bodiless. However, if you find yourself bodiless for another reason, a conflicting Soul Walk would keep you from attaining your new body, which after one failed attempt would lead to your demise.

Q: Can an unpossessed character be eliminated via the vote?

A: Yes.

Q: What happens in the case of a tie?

A: All tied entities die.

Q: Does this character list include the mafia's characters, so that it would also be impossible to soul walk into their bodies?

A: All Characters in the game are on the list.

Q: Can the bodiless vote?

A: No.

Q: Are black names un-possessed characters?

A: Anyone possessing a character at the character's time of death will also die. Seeing a character death without a soul attached means that they must have died unpossessed.

Q: Will there be any kind of global notification when a player's soul is forcibly evicted? Also, can people send PMs to that person even though they're not allowed to reply?

A: There is no notification. As a general rule you should not be sending PMs to evicted players, though I realize there is no way to know that you are breaking this rule. It's an unfortunate circumstance for which I couldn't find an elegant solution.

Player List
  1. jdarksun
  2. Phyphor
  3. SLyM
  4. kime
  5. stever777
  6. blahmcblah
  7. corvidae
  8. The Anonymous
  9. Capfalcon
  10. Sir Fabulous
  11. Cythraul
  12. Cayrus
  13. Mr. Defecation
  14. Taya
  15. Shiny New Toys
  16. Langly
  17. kuhlmeye
  18. Bedlam
  19. Void Slayer
  20. SeGaTai
  21. WhiteZinfandel

Character List
  1. Fabian Ha
  2. Marjorie Zamora
  3. Alfonso Swanson
  4. Elbert Bright
  5. Barbara Sproles
  6. Mary Boles[Seer]
  7. Wayne Anderson
  8. Raul Tanaka
  9. Lee Jennings
  10. Robert Patterson
  11. Kathy Kleinschmidt
  12. Nathan Alligood
  13. Crystal Ortega
  14. Ryan Jones
  15. Ruben Kowalski
  16. Earl Bodin
  17. Julius Smalls
  18. Michael Chavis
  19. Christina Pierce[Guard]
  20. Linda Bolton
  21. Paul Harris[Vig]
  22. Odell Buckley[Jailkeeper]
  23. Reginald Calvo
  24. Dale Allen[Roleblock]
  25. Marie Tracy
  26. Charles Gast
  27. Ethel Cooper
  28. Claudia Ramirez
  29. Calvin Green[Busdriver]
  30. Frederick Beatty

Reserves
  1. I needed a name to post.
  2. schuss

Narrations
  1. Day 1
  2. Day 2
  3. Day 3
  4. Day 4
  5. Day 5
  6. Day 6
  7. Day 7
  8. Day 8
  9. Day 9
  10. Day 10
  11. Day 11
  12. Day 12

Sample Villager PM:
You are a: Soul Enforcer
You have been issued a directive: Find all bound individuals and bring them into custody, dead or alive. You have no misgivings in your task. A great danger lurks in the binding process. For the good of the many, the few that were foolish enough to undertake the dangerous procedure are a necessary sacrifice.
Victory Condition: Eliminate all perceived threats to the community.
Soul Abilities: Soul Walk
You currently control: Spanky McSpankster
The body you have possessed feels stiff, and old. You find no use in it.

MrTLicious on

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Confusing! I sense an excellent phalla for SHENANIGANS

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    This looks INTERESTING

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Very intriguing. I appreciate being in the OP :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    ME

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    I guess I should probably play in one of these eventually, and I'm really bored right now, so sign up!

• Options
    corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    sign me up as well

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    BRB, installing a Demon Summoning Program on my COMP.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    But... I don't want to sign up

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    What happens if multiple players attempt to possess the same body?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    What happens if multiple players attempt to possess the same body?

Players not signed up for this game may not ask clarifying questions...

Just kidding... Two players attempting to Soul Walk into the same body will both be unsuccessful and return to their original body.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Soul Up!
    Aw man my puns are hilarious. I crack myself up.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    Is it possible for a character to become bodiless, then fail to enter a body repeatedly due to conflicting Soul Walks, causing them to wither away?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    !signup

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Is it possible for a character to become bodiless, then fail to enter a body repeatedly due to conflicting Soul Walks, causing them to wither away?

Attempting to Soul Walk will never make you become bodiless. However, if you find yourself bodiless for another reason, a conflicting Soul Walk would keep you from attaining your new body, which after one failed attempt would lead to your demise.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    BRB, installing a Demon Summoning Program on my COMP.

That's not fair!
    (BTW, where can I get that?)

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    STEVEN posted it on DDS-NET, look for it there.

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    !sign

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Sign, no color because post from phone

• Options
    Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I've been watching people play this game for the last couple of phalla's. Hopefully I understand what is going on, but i think I'll probably still be rubbish

Shiny New Toys on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular

Can kuhl manage to get himself killed in yet another phalla?

Tune in here at 11 for the story!

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    !sure why not

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Interesting targeting mechanic. Sign up

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    kime wrote:
    Very intriguing. I appreciate being in the OP :P

I hope I captured your essence accurately.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Shiny New Player~

Welcome to Phalla! Just remember a couple important things:

Everyone is suspicious, and a lot of lying is going on. If people start throwing votes at you don't get crazy defensive and don't take it personally.

Also, kime is always evil. Failure to remember this rule will result in termination.

I'm sure someone else will be along to post the full list of new player stuff (we're actually pretty nice and helpful, except kiiiiiimmmmmeeeeee), so I'll stop here and just say hi, and have fun! :D

Cythraul on
    Steam
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I'm always evil, except in minis where I'm never evil! So you can trust me completely!

• Options
    Phyphor wrote:
    I'm always evil, except in minis where I'm never evil! So you can trust me completely!

Since I have not yet assigned roles, I can say with 100% certainty that this is true.

• Options
    I'm excited about this phalla MrT! Just don't let my crazy escapades end with suicide due to time weasels! >.<

Steam
  • Options
    Cythraul wrote:
    I'm excited about this phalla MrT! Just don't let my crazy escapades end with suicide due to time weasels! >.<

No worries, there is no randomness in this game (other than assignment). Also, no vlads. Pretty tame all around, actually, by comparison. Mostly just the travel/target mechanic.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    color me limegreen, i mean intrigued, Signup

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Does that mean that charecter information is open to all?

• Options
    Bedlam wrote:

You're going to have to be more specific...

• Options
    MrTLicious wrote:
    Bedlam wrote:

Like everyone would know who the good charecters were and who to try and soul walk too.

Which thinking about it, Ive misinturpreted what you ment by random.

• Options
    Hm, do you guys think INANTP wanted to sign up w/ his clarification?

I'll hold one spot until I hear from him (within reason). That was a rather fast signup. Assuming we get INANTP or one more player, I'll send role PMs this afternoon, and the first deadline will be TOMORROW (10/6) at 11PM Eastern.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Bedlam wrote:
    MrTLicious wrote:
    Bedlam wrote:

Like everyone would know who the good charecters were and who to try and soul walk too.

Which thinking about it, Ive misinturpreted what you ment by random.
    MrTLicious wrote:
    That means that no character is inherently tied to one side (unless their possessor cannot Soul Walk)

Whether a character is vacant or not will not be public knowledge.

Edit: Nor will be their abilities, etc.

MrTLicious on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Reserve up!

• Options
    Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    Cythraul wrote:
    Shiny New Player~

Welcome to Phalla!

Thanks Cythraul. Trust no-one, and don't take it personal - kinda like my job (teacher). :)

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Cythraul wrote:
    Shiny New Player~

Welcome to Phalla!

Thanks Cythraul. Trust no-one, and don't take it personal - kinda like my job (teacher). :)

Actually, you should trust me.

Also, I would just like to note that I had just watched some Doctor Who when I saw this thread, so I'm like "Angels, ahhhhhh!

Nah, I'm sure it's fine and not really about the Weeping Angels."

So then I was feeling slightly better. I open the thread, and what do I see?

"Silence. Silence"

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

**Note that this post makes little sense if you haven't watched Doctor Who.... Which should be changed!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    !Reserve

liEt3nH.png