As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steve Jobs is Dead

1121314151618»

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    At my high school there were only:

eMacs
    Clamshell Laptops

Not exactly demonstrations of Apple's competence for the era.

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:
    I think it's kindof indisputable that he changed the world.

So yes, I am making a logical leap based on this statement that changing the world means "he was solely responsible for changing the world".

sig.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Steve Jobs solely changed the computer market

without him we wouldn't even have the concept of the netbook or notebook or anything like that

same goes for how we transport music, get our streaming, buy our digital media, etc

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I remember in high school where computer science class meant make a bunch of Hypercard stacks.

I made one about Final Fantasy and also a short point-and-click game where you had to kill Bill Gates because I was such a cool kid. 8-)

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Steve Jobs knew everything about what he did and he had enough fuck-you money in the bank to do whatever he wanted

that's why he is as good as he was

but he did not build Apple alone and for the most part, like all people in technology, he stood on the shoulders of those who came before him

The basis of the software running every phone and ipod and iMac was orchestrated in a research lab for AT&T before Jobs finished puberty, and every core GUI concept for the original Mac OS was lifted from Xerox.

But like an effective businessman, he figured out how to glue it all together and put it in a fancy white box.

He didn't invent personal computing anymore than Edison invented the shit he did... he took existing concepts and improved on them to the point where they were marketable.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    that was not a serious post

Steve Jobs contributes to the design and idea for a product but much of how that design actually becomes a real thing is done by a totally different guy who's name is fucking escaping me and I can't find it

and honestly without Steve Jobs we would have come to this point anyway

but there is no questioning that the impact Jobs has had on the way we look at computers, technology, and the PR surrounding those things is fucking astronomical. That man has found his way into so many people's hands and homes that it's ridiculous

up until my post prior to this, nobody had said he was solely responsible for where we are

no shit everyone is talking about Steve Jobs, it's a fucking Steve Jobs thread

and coming in and making that "assumption" just because we've got our own little memorial thread and then proceeding to shit all over it based on assumption just makes you look like a gigantic asshole to everyone involved

congratufuckinglations

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I remember fucking hypercard

Our elementary school had network storage for all the classroom macs to use, so everyone would save their hypercards to there, and then we'd link them together using buttons to make this complicated mesh that you could navigate through.

We basically had our own "world wide web", except we didn't know what that was, and it wasn't wide or world, because we were like 10 fucking years old.

Edit: we had games like TIM and oregon trail, but you had to have the CD in, and only like two cds, so some of us ended up messing around with hypercard instead

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Steve Jobs is the light

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote:
    At my high school there were only:

eMacs
    Clamshell Laptops

Not exactly demonstrations of Apple's competence for the era.
    We still have some eMac's out on the floor that we make interns use.

Fucking hate those things.

Replacing the hard drive on them is downright stupid.

Replacing the hard drive on my iMac was stupid too. I have to remove the LCD just to access the hard drive? No. No that is dumb.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Steve Jobs is the light

hth

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    one time the school librarian jammed two CD's into the eMacs drive at once

I had to get them out with a paper clip

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Steve Jobs is the light

hth
    ~

• Options
    Putting color images into Hypercard was such a bullshit deal.

I remember being stumped for like a week as to why they wouldn't show until I realized I'd put too many Ks of color images in my stack and Hypercard's RAM couldn't load all that color.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    I made some pretty awesome Hypercard games

And by awesome I mean press a button to see a picture of the Enterprise getting blown up that I made in paint

mkc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I'm pretty sure I made a Hypercard stack that was a Bart Simpson running forward (no animation, it was just the picture and a scrolling background) until he gets flattened by the Monty Python foot.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Boy did I hate hypercard. I had a computer science class in high school that consisted of nothing but hypercard.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    tumblr_lhyodhKyiM1qgdkx1o1_400.jpg

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Steve Jobs is the light

Sandwich! I trusted you!

I grew up with bitchin' Apple ][e's in the classroom. I was the Number Muncher master.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    When I saw the iPad I kinda realized that this is the future.

You finally have this compact electronic computer on which you can tell people to go away because you're totally hitting it off with this hot bajoran chick.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

You finally have this compact electronic computer on which you can tell people to go away because you're totally hitting it off with this hot bajoran chick.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-trek-padd/id446277240?mt=8

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    did we post this already

ht_steve_jobs_apple_tumblr_nt_111006_wblog.jpg

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    The Geek wrote:

Someone in here suggested making a Majel Barrett voice for Siri and barking "Computah!" at it before every command.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

Someone in here suggested making a Majel Barrett voice for Siri and barking "Computah!" at it before every command.

Scotty voice.

Huh...
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    did we post this already

ht_steve_jobs_apple_tumblr_nt_111006_wblog.jpg

yeah but its still really neat

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    Larlar wrote: »
    The Geek wrote:
    Mysst wrote:
    fuck that shit, I had a MiniDisc player

the format that would revolutionize the world of data storage!

Oh man, I knew people that swore up and down that minidisc was gonna be the future.

One of my friends had a laserdisc player. I remember wishing I had one, too. Then it was the next day and they were already obsolete.

those discs were so damn huge

I want to get a laserdisc and beta of Labyrinth for Amy so she will own Labyrinth on every available format. She already has VHS, UMD, DVD, and BluRay.
    Her collection will not be complete until she has it on 35mm!

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    tumblr_lsn4dk038a1qznavao1_500.jpg

• Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Rehab wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Rehab wrote:
    I thought Meta Knight was the new Fox?

I don't pay attention to that shit.

Whoa hey, I only asked because I thought I heard something along those lines.

I got proper fucked by someone playing Meta Knight from around here online waaaay back too.

It was Munkus, he did that to you.

4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    tumblr_lsn4dk038a1qznavao1_500.jpg

If you wish to make Apple Inc. from scratch, you must first invent the universe

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    god DAMN IT

• Options
    prauspraus Registered User new member
    Not sure if anyone mentioned it here but I thought I heard a while ago that Steve Jobs actually designed the first Break Out game. Anyone know if that's true?

• Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    I felt bad when I heard he died, but in a detached way that's normally reserved for celebrities and big names that I know but don't REALLY know.

Then Howard Stern had a really good speech about how much of an impact Jobs had in his daily life (and those lives of people who can afford his gadgets) as well as the impact Jobs had on technology as a whole.

Then I felt REAL bad, and not in a detached way. Howard had some great points, hopefully I can find a brief clip of it someone and post it.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com