Options

Old wow chat thread. go find the new one.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Warlock82 wrote:
    So Alizabal's dialog may be the best thing ever:
    Alizabal
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_AGGRO_01 - I hate adventurers!
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_DEATH_01 - I hate... every.. one of you!
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_INTRO_01 - How I hate this place. My captors may be long dead.. but don't think I won't take it out on you, miserable treasure hunters!
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_RESET_01 - I hate incompetent raiders.
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_SLAY_01 - I still hate you.
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_SLAY_02 - Do you hate me?
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_SLAY_03 - Good!
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_SLAY_04 - I hate mercy.
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_SPELL_01 - I hate armor!
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_SPELL_02 - I hate martyrs!
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_SPELL_03 - Feel my hatred!
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_SPELL_04 - My hatred burns!
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_SPELL_05 - My hate will consume you!
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_SPELL_06 - I hate you all!
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_SPELL_07 - I hate standing still!
    HEY GUYS

HEY

REMEMBER LEFT 4 DEAD?

REMEMBER THAT?

WASN'T THAT FUNNY?

SO THIS IS FUNNY TOO, RIGHT?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    HEY GUYS

HEY

REMEMBER LEFT 4 DEAD?

REMEMBER THAT?
    Actually, no. Never played it.

I just figured this was a humorously cranky boss.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    There are no holiday raids. There are holiday five mans, but the bags from those don't drop gear, aside from a low chance for couple of holiday specific drops like the tankard. The brewfest trinkets, for example, just drop off the boss and you roll like you normally would. Cloaks from ahune worked the same way.

I just don't think the outcome of your idea is better than a simple need/greed roll. If loot you want drops and you get outrolled that sucks, but I personally prefer that to running a raid umpteen times and never even seeing a drop because I have bad luck with bags (as happened to me this brewfest.)

ed: nevermind that the whole "what gear do druids use" issue cuts both ways. The "low drop rate bag" setup creates situations where people get bags and open them to find loot they don't even want.

Which differentiates it from how drops currently work... how? Just dust/vendor the bad item and try again next time/week. Besides, if they're willing append the system to give advantages to people rolling on gear relevant to their role, why wouldn't they also opt for using higher drop rates for loot bags on spec relevant gear? Heck, they could even hold off on determining what's actually in the bag until they open them the first time. Or they could have the player choose between a filtered/non-filtered bag, it's not really the point.

The point is, it's not another person's fault that you never finished your Stormrage Vestments. Less opportunity for players to hate other players that way.

Unfortunately, even if they did balance it to work about the same, it'd still be a different system. And different is scary. But if rolling is that big a deal that it's become a reason for people to hate the prospect of grouping in the first place, then take away the rolls.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Right now if something drops that I don't want, I just pass it to somebody who does. In the bag system, when something drops that I don't want, it's a shard at best.

rolls don't seem to be deterring people from grouping currently

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    So what you're saying is in the current system, you get nothing, a shard, or the item you want. But in the bag system, you get nothing, a shard, or the item you want. And that's bad.

And just because it's not stopping people doesn't mean they don't hate it. See: every 3rd post concerning that one awful group someone was in last night(the first 2 being "THIS GUY DID LIKE NOTHING" and "THIS GUY HAD SHITTY GEAR", possibly a combination of the two). Nice thing about grouping right now is that the items people roll on in LFD are largely irrelevant by this point. Strangers in PUGs are assholes by default, but you get the most points out of LFD. Just shut up and get it done as fast as possible, right?

EDIT: Silly me, speaking as if a bag system would actually happen.

naengwen on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Again, assuming people are assholes by default generally means you'll act in such a way to offend them and make them act like assholes. When the only common thread between your bad groups having assholes in them every time is you, then maybe you should look at your behavior before acting like everyone else is terrible and you're not to blame. Even when dealing with people who literally don't know how to play their class (people using a premade on the PTR of a class they've never played before) I'm patient and kind rather than brash and accusatory. Being nice goes a long way and throwing up your hands ang giving up on being nice because sometime somewhere someone may repay that kindness with being an asshole is just a cowadly way out.

• Options
    And again, that doesn't stop people from complaining about it. You can be the Saint Pug Bernard of LFD, but there are still going to be people out there who don't like using rolls because sometimes they'll lose a roll to a dick. People don't put as much stock in LFD gear as they might with LFR, which is part of why this is a discussion in the first place.

So, again, if loot rolls are that big a problem, then they should opt for loot bags instead.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I don't agree that loot distribution should become less efficient because the psychological weight of a 1-100 is too much for some people

• Options
    Efficiency in this particular case is a matter of statistics. They can compensate the drop rate in such a manner that loot is distributed at the same rate that it is now.

But I do agree that it doesn't need to change. And if LFR winds up working as well as LFD does, then it shouldn't. Least not for WoW. It's a cause for negativity towards other players, but it's also a system that's worked, save some technical improvements, for 6+ years in random groups.

Least until you get to GDKP runs. Man, wouldn't that'd be an awesome train wreck if they tried implementing a system like that for LFR.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    They should just branch dps roles for LFR into melee and ranged. Unlike 5 mans, it's actually relevant for raids, and they've already said that the raid finder will consciously try to put together a balanced group in regards to dps types, so it's not like the pertinent information isn't available to them.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    HEY GUYS

HEY

REMEMBER LEFT 4 DEAD?

REMEMBER THAT?

I never played L4D either, and I also assumed it was a humorously cranky boss. I mean, her title is <Mistress of Hate>, she has an ability called Seething Hate...

Not everything has to be a reference to something, you know.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    VO_BH_ALIZABAL_AGGRO_01 - My name is Alizabal J. Caboose, and I! Hate! Babiiiiies!

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I did a heroic Lost City the other day. The tank was lagging all over the place, and he kept on telling us as such. Sometimes we'd be standing there, and mobs would magically come towards us.

He then yelled at the dps to CC (he kept on breaking my hex) on some of the pulls. In case people couldn't guess what next happened, he lagged horribly on the High Prophet; I wasn't healing, but I could see him taking massive amounts of damage from standing the the big beam of light, in addition to the fire from the pheonix (one of the dps also dies in this phase somehow).

Phase 2 happens, and because the tank is still lagging, no kiting of the pheonix takes place.

We get to Phase 3 of the fight, but by this point, the healer has completely run dry, the tank dies, and a wipe shortly follows.

Throughout all of this fight, the tank was telling us he was lagging and his screen wasn't showing anything. You would think that after the wipe, the tank would be the one to admit that that wipe was his fault, but oh no, he blames the healer, then drops group. And we then lose some of the dps (the happy ending is that I stayed with that healer and we finished the place with the new replacement people).

I don't know how that tank had the nerve to blame anyone else for that fight; logic would dictate that with him admitting he was lagging on a fight that requires the tank to move and not stand in fire, he would at least take some of the blame.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    There's talk of people swapping mains in my guild, and one of the guys talking about it is our paladin tank. I've mentioned more than once to them that the only reason I didn't want to tank right now is due to us already having a pally tank. Nobody's approached me about it yet though :P

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Bought my honor cape/trinket this weekend. Only have chest/legs to have a complete set of s10 equivalent (discounting the s9 staff). About 2500 more honor, and I'll be completely kitted out on my druid. It already feels absurd standing in a pile in Tol B with 3200ish resil reduction just spamming heals.

Of course, I just now am beginning to understand that there's not much to do in pvp but get the gear that makes you better at pvp. =P

Must...have...4.3

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Bought my honor cape/trinket this weekend. Only have chest/legs to have a complete set of s10 equivalent (discounting the s9 staff). About 2500 more honor, and I'll be completely kitted out on my druid. It already feels absurd standing in a pile in Tol B with 3200ish resil reduction just spamming heals.

Of course, I just now am beginning to understand that there's not much to do in pvp but get the gear that makes you better at pvp. =P

Must...have...4.3

There is nothing more smug than healing and the other team not coping with it. Conversely, there is nothing worse than getting trained (which happens all the time I attempt to cap points as Elemental; 3vs3 is a complete joke in that it's more "balanced" for me to go 2vs2).

R. Druids tend to be very weak to when a team switches. Outside of their tree form, they're one of the easier healers to kill I reckon if the dps are decently equipped and aren't awful (i.e. you're pretty safe inside pug BG's).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Oh yeah, started getting the hilarious double entry combat log bug last night.

I noticed something was off when my Arcane Blasts were flashing up with the number twice on the built-in scrolling combat text. When I checked my combat log, I was seeing the Arcane Blast twice in a row with the same amount of damage.

• Options
    Redcoat-13 wrote:

Must...have...4.3

There is nothing more smug than healing and the other team not coping with it. Conversely, there is nothing worse than getting trained (which happens all the time I attempt to cap points as Elemental; 3vs3 is a complete joke in that it's more "balanced" for me to go 2vs2).

R. Druids tend to be very weak to when a team switches. Outside of their tree form, they're one of the easier healers to kill I reckon if the dps are decently equipped and aren't awful (i.e. you're pretty safe inside pug BG's).

Oh definitely. On the rare occasion I get a team that either has co-operating members, am the only noticeable healer, or just have a fluke where a BG opponent team understands how to focus fire, it is hot knife through butter time. I may be able to dump a large amount of healing over a large tapestry of sitcheyashuns, but when 2 dks, a rogue, and an arcane mage decide I should die, I die...quickly. A druid's oh shit buttons are better designed for an oh shit that happens to multiple people in a Matrixy bullet-time fog of slow motion lasting 7-12 seconds.

But I'm ok with that. I guess if you aren't, it's harder to have fun in pug BGs. =)

• Options
    Dibby wrote:
    SabreMau wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    HEY GUYS

HEY

REMEMBER LEFT 4 DEAD?

REMEMBER THAT?

I never played L4D either, and I also assumed it was a humorously cranky boss. I mean, her title is <Mistress of Hate>, she has an ability called Seething Hate...

Yes and Professor Putricide is just an absent-minded professor.

It's almost assuredly based off Francis in L4D.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    So, $10 for a tradeable one time use pet? No thank ye.

• Options
    T13 shoulder tokens will be sold via the online shop only [for charity]. Behold the new horizon before us!

• Options
    So you can now buy gold, basically.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Dibby wrote:
    SabreMau wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    HEY GUYS

HEY

REMEMBER LEFT 4 DEAD?

REMEMBER THAT?

Yes and Professor Putricide is just an absent-minded professor.

It's almost assuredly based off Francis in L4D.

I guess if the boss was a demon in the form of a biker dude with a shotgun, sure I could see that. I think you are reaching a bit myself, because I had no idea WTF you were talking about till you said that you think it is based of Francis.

I may possibly be getting a new job in the next month or 2 that may require me to wake up a couple hours earlier. Which means I will have to go to bed a couple hours earlier so I'm not a Zombie(FULL CIRCLE). Already told my friends that I am not raiding till 11pm if I have to wake up at 5:30am to get ready for work. They told me to learn how to function off 6 hours of sleep. I don't think so. I'll just LFR it up for my raiding itch, and get my 8 hours of sleep.

The LFR is fucking awesome already!

• Options
    Link for those like me who didn't know what was being discussed
    Q: Could I put the Guardian Cub up on the auction house to try to make some gold if I wanted to?

While our goal is to offer players alternative ways to add a Pet Store pet to their collection, we’re ok with it if some players choose to use the Guardian Cub as a safe and secure way to try to acquire a little extra in-game gold without turning to third-party gold-selling services. However, please keep in mind that there's never any guarantee that someone will purchase what you put up for sale in the auction house, or how much they'll pay for it. Also, it’s important to note that we take a firm stance against buying gold from outside sources because in most cases, the gold these companies offer has been stolen from compromised accounts. (You can read more about our stance here.) While some players might be able to acquire some extra gold by putting the Guardian Cub in the auction house, that’s preferable to players contributing to the gold-selling “black market” and account theft.

So blizzard is making an official money-for-gold scheme viable

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    Diablo 3's real money AH will be a headline feature of the next expansion then.

• Options
    It is still letting players buy an in-game advantage. Even as a vanilla pet it's a rip-off since you get ONE for ten bucks as opposed to an account-wide deal for ten bucks.

It's just...what the fuck man?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    dylman wrote:
    Diablo 3's real money AH will be a headline feature of the next expansion then.

It really will be a nightmare and horror story because who is really going to buy things when they can hook up with freinds, farm for hours or beg for them

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    It is still letting players buy an in-game advantage. Even as a vanilla pet it's a rip-off since you get ONE for ten bucks as opposed to an account-wide deal for ten bucks.

It's just...what the fuck man?

Gotta make up for those lost subscription numbers somehow. Even if it means adopting policies that very well may drive even more customers away.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    If I could buy two Obsidium Cleavers for my DK for $10 a pop rather than having to farm 40k gold for one, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

• Options
    reVerse wrote:
    If I could buy two Obsidium Cleavers for my DK for $10 a pop rather than having to farm 40k gold for one, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Depending on your server/faction AH, you may be able to in a few months :P

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    I can't wait for the greedy goblin article on this.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Ah, yes, greedy goblin, ranting endlessly about social monkeys who do things for popularity and approval of others.

On his blog.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    I am stunned by that. I mean, they're sticking to the written words in the "no real money AH" statement, but it's basically a giant fuck you to the spirit of the statement. It's almost heartbreaking, because this is the kind of thing that could really screw an economy up (or at least one that wasn't ready for it).

There's nothing I can do about it though. Oh well.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I'm no economics expert, but how could this screw with a server's economy?

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Seriously, though, how much would someone pay in gold for this?

Cause if it's not 6-7k, it's cheaper to buy gold.

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't forsee this as being an efficient way of buying gold. What I don't like about this scheme is the fact that instead of buying a pet from the pet store and it being available instantly to all of your characters now and forever, you pay $10 for one pet on one character. That's a fucking ripoff anyway you cut it, relative to Blizzard's previous offerings.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    The market will get flooded fast with these pets. You might be able to get a good sale early but there will most likely be tons of people trying to make quick gold.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I have to believe most people who would spend real money to buy a pet to then sell on the AH would just buy gold from a website. Maybe not though. I don't really care either way.

• Options
    gold is honestly so easy to get via normal means that I don't care that much if a few people want to buy it

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I'm not condoning gold buying. I'm not condemning it either. People do what they want to, and even though it makes me rage, it's still just a game and people can do what they want.

This is not an answer to stoping people from buying gold.

You stop people from doing it by making it tougher/more expensive than the alternatives. Not by offering a worse alternative that what's available.

Except, if you think that maybe getting your account banned for buying gold is the absolute worse (and honestly, it's probably the only thing stopping a majority of people from buying a little gold).