As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old wow chat thread. go find the new one.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Actually, now that I think about it, I'm wondering if it'll have some effect on the value of the TCG mounts/pets.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    gold is honestly so easy to get via normal means that I don't care that much if a few people want to buy it
    My issue is that they're slowly tip-toeing towards offering straight-up gameplay benefits for money. I'm fine with aesthetic shit (greedy as it is for the 800 pound gorilla to do such a thing), but this is clearly getting as close to the line as possible. Maybe dangling your foot over it in a mocking gesture.

It's a HUGE ripoff if you don't make use of the BOE aspect, which makes it REALLY suspect. And they try to act like it's doing us a favor. How hard is it to just put a gift option in the store? Enter realm and character name. Bam. Done.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I think everyone who would really buy one of these pets to have is just going to spend the ten dollars instead of pay the insane amount of gold these will likely be priced at

• Options
    There are people who have fat stacks of gold that wait for shit like this.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    gold is honestly so easy to get via normal means that I don't care that much if a few people want to buy it
    My issue is that they're slowly tip-toeing towards offering straight-up gameplay benefits for money.

are they? there have been boes to buy with excessive gold since forever. Having a lot of gold can be leveraged into gameplay benefits in lots of ways, but they don't seem like they've introduced many new ones.

I personally look forward to taking these people's money in eventual dragon soul gdkp runs

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    How hard is it to just put a gift option in the store? Enter realm and character name. Bam. Done.

Just speaking to this part of your post, blizzard said people wanted to be able to buy a pet without using a credit card. A gift option in the store doesn't help them, unless they're asking somebody else to gift it to them. I'm not saying it's a good or bad reason, but that's who they said they're doing this for. I have a feeling it's not going to get utilized that much, they'll look at the metrics, and then this will be the first and last single use non-BoA pet of its kind, but we'll see.

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    My issue is that they're slowly tip-toeing towards offering straight-up gameplay benefits for money.
    are they? there have been boes to buy with excessive gold since forever. Having a lot of gold can be leveraged into gameplay benefits in lots of ways, but they don't seem like they've introduced many new ones.

I personally look forward to taking these people's money in eventual dragon soul gdkp runs
    You're not making any sense. Yes, there's been big-money BoEs since the game launched. And...how many of those were available through Blizzard for real world currencies? The only thing that comes close is the TCG items, which are a bit of a crap shoot to acquire outside of eBay or similar digital vendors. And that is second market, not via Blizzard. They're also prohibitively expensive to make any kind of regular gold.

Of course it remains to be seen how lucrative this pet will be, but it's the first time I've been concerned about the direction they're taking with their store. It should at least be raising eyebrows.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Maybe your point is "Well having lots of gold to buy things with isn't a big deal." Yeah, money only gets you so much, but that still means you can skip loads of content by grabbing crafted BoEs and expensive trinkets and whatnot. Were this a free MMORPG, paying to skip grindy bits would be acceptable. But, unless something is changed, everyone is still paying to play.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    My point is that having a lot of money isn't really a big deal because it's easy to get a lot of money without buying it via RMT. I already juice up my alts with various BoEs and so on (my shaman, for example, hit 85 and was healing troll heroics a day or so later.)

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Blizzard has made it easier, but there will always be people who value time over money.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Its hard for me to get worked up over the pet, especially in light of the D3 Real Money AH, but I do wonder about the slippery slope. The pet store is a well established revenue stream for them, but I wonder if this isn't their way to test the waters for real money purchases in WoW.

I'm not someone who plays the AH for big money, but I have enough gold on my main that anything I need for raiding I can get easily. And all my max level alts have epic flying. I made my money the honest way; having an army of alts and being obsessive about daily quests.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Blizzard has made it easier, but there will always be people who value time over money.

well, of course

The pet alone isn't going to be a big deal though, just because the hypothetical problem with it will be self-correcting. If so many people are hard enough up for gold that they want to buy one of these to sell, they won't sell for very much. On the other hand, if a handful of people make 20k or so selling one, that isn't much gold really in the context of most servers' economies.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I just hate that everything else in the store is account-wide, and the justification is that we can sell it for gold.

No, I just want a pet on multiple characters. Especially since they all have the matching mount.

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I had a hard enough time justifying $10 for a virtual item when all of my characters got one. This is just a ripoff and a weak strategy to combat goldsellers all in one tidy bundle.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Just wait until they start releasing pets in bulk

And we can only get them via in-store pet booster packs

Then we'll see people selling Mini-Azsharas on the Auction house for 50000g

And Mini-Varians for 2c

• Options
    Spam trade with this:

"Buy Mini-Varian and get a free Mini-Garrosh"

• Options
    And if you bring one near their respective character they latch on and explode

• Options
    mini garrosh and miniwrynn have a slapfight if they get close together

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    mini garrosh and miniwrynn make out if they get close together

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Tied out one and a half of the new 5mans in the ptr.... got jaina and baine fights before crash and all of the hour instance.... pretty much all of the fights I did required lots more mobility to do the fight properly than the last sets of heroics it seems. And until people get it down that baine fight will be interesting out in the wild, same with the end boss in hour. The other fights were easy.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    More mobility in fights?

Just what Melee classes have been asking for!

• Options
    well, you are more mobile

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Actually a lot of the fights in the new dungeons are more friendly to melee than ranged. 4 out of the 5 bosses in End Time are more melee friendly than they are ranged friendly (and Sylvanas, the 1 out of 5, is basically a tossup). In the second (technically third) dungeon, the first boss died so quick I can't remember his mechanics, the second boss is the most blatant melee friendly boss in the game bar none, and the last boss's attacks only focus on ranged characters if I remember properly (outside of the attack that hits everyone that is).

• Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    In the continuing saga of my raid being fucked, we are now in need of a full-time (meaning 2 days a week, saturday and monday) DPS. Preferably ranged, but honestly if you've got eyes, this group did Heroic LK 10 with only one ranged, so we'll adjust. We're 6/7H, 10-man guild, and we're a bunch of dicks to each other. Our hunter's job won't let him have any control over his schedule, so he's basically made it clear to us that he can't stay on as one of our main raiders, which is sad, as we JUST fixed the last organizational problem we had. Ah well. Feel free to send me PMs!

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Really, I think if you're going to complain about the new pet, more than anything you should complain that it's not account wide. All the other pets cost the exact same amount and you get it on all your alts. This one is a one-time use, so if you have 10 characters and you want it on all of them, that's $100. That's some absurd bullshit right there.

What's worse is that if this goes well, Blizz will start doing it for future pets that they release. And then maybe that might even extend to mounts.

That aside, I'm not even interested in it. It looks ugly, like those little rat-dogs. It's more creepy-looking than cute.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's dumb that it's $10 and thier excuse is comparing it to the spectral kitten which came in one of every 5 boxes and sells for over $100

I really believe this is a test of the diablo ah system since that is going to be a nightmare

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote:
    It's dumb that it's $10 and thier excuse is comparing it to the spectral kitten which came in one of every 5 boxes and sells for over $100

I really believe this is a test of the diablo ah system since that is going to be a nightmare

488W936.png
  • Options
    I don't really think the d3 system will be a nightmare at all

really it'll probably be a lot less of a nightmare than the mess of RMT shenanigans that went on in D2

I don't think this is much of a test of anything other than "how many people can we get to buy a vanity pet more than once"

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    no I think it's a test because the PTR is a closed test as with the live realms are more of a real test. How can you test if group A does something unexpected with the pet? how much gold do they earn? now take the same test and apply it to all realms and both sides? see the chaos that is going to cause?

Diablo 2's shenanigans are legendary! but I think they are curious how thier new system works and how can you test it live without people knowing?

People buy the pets all the time and for a number of different reasons. With the Holidays comming up how many pets would be bought to be given away? I bought my brother one and the Wryven plush for my freind last year

• Options
    It's amazing how bad people still are when it comes to Jin'do. 4 wipes before I decided to drop because the hunter was still spending more time killing the big troll ghost rather than the smaller spirits.

Oh well, at least the run after that the group was able to get him down and I got the agi staff for my druid.

• Options
    ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular

so I somehow managed to get hacked -- although I know my home machine is very well protected. My characters were all back to normal within an hour of getting home, noticing it, changing password, and reporting it. I have the iphone authenticator now -- for some reason when I got the iPhone I forgot that they had the mobile version for free. Based on the fact that my Hunter was in the middle of Uldum by an herbing node and I had a backpack full of whiptail, I guess they were farming?

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Some of you guys are rediculous. Some people will buy a pet for $10 and sell it for 20k gold. BFD.

I don't know if you have noticed, but people are spamming the shit out of your Trade chat with a deal to buy store pets with gold. These are always scams. They buy the pet with a fake/stolen card, or they buy it and cancel the purchase on the banks end. You purchase the Code for the pet for 10k gold, and you get to keep it till Blizzard deletes it. That moron complains to Blizzard and at best gets his gold back. All this pet is, is a safe way for those morons to buy pets like these.

The only thing they are testing is the Market for a single BoE pet vs an account bound pet(s). Likely we will see in the future an option to have the pet like it was before, or as a single time use BoE.

In other news. FUCK BALEROC. I've killed him 14 times. He has never dropped the Tanking helm. I'm still using a 359 helmet, because the alternative to Balerocs helm is only an upgrade in Aesthetics.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Nobody wrote:
    It's amazing how bad people still are when it comes to Jin'do. 4 wipes before I decided to drop because the hunter was still spending more time killing the big troll ghost rather than the smaller spirits.

Oh well, at least the run after that the group was able to get him down and I got the agi staff for my druid.

I hate Jin'do. Thankfully I have all the valor crap I want, so I don't really need to run it anymore (unless I feel like doing it on my alt). I don't get what the fuck is so confusing about that fight - it's not freaking hard. Yet pugs fail on it consistantly. My favorite was when 3 of the 5 group members didn't speak english (again, fuck you Blizzard for pooling US and Latin/Portuguese realms together) and weren't standing on the chains and were killing the trolls. We wiped for like an hour. Finally one of them left and we actually got a decent DPS that knew to stand on the chains.
    Buddies wrote:
    In other news. FUCK BALEROC. I've killed him 14 times. He has never dropped the Tanking helm. I'm still using a 359 helmet, because the alternative to Balerocs helm is only an upgrade in Aesthetics.

He dropped the tank helm for us once. It was the week our tank switched to his healer alt because we were short on healing (we one-tanked it). He cried :(

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Well I see the hacked/spam bots selling things all the time in trade chat but then that is who most of the time is selling something in there :rotate:.
    I have not had a problem doing Jin'do it's usually a bad tank that f's it up by killing troll giant thing {I forgot what it's called}

I know spanish to a certain point so when I get people from the latin realms talking trash it's always fun. I run into a lot of people from the Portuguse ones early morning for some odd reason

Yay I got my warrior to 85!

• Options
    Buddies wrote:
    Some of you guys are rediculous. Some people will buy a pet for $10 and sell it for 20k gold. BFD.

I don't know if you have noticed, but people are spamming the shit out of your Trade chat with a deal to buy store pets with gold. These are always scams. They buy the pet with a fake/stolen card, or they buy it and cancel the purchase on the banks end. You purchase the Code for the pet for 10k gold, and you get to keep it till Blizzard deletes it. That moron complains to Blizzard and at best gets his gold back. All this pet is, is a safe way for those morons to buy pets like these.

The only thing they are testing is the Market for a single BoE pet vs an account bound pet(s). Likely we will see in the future an option to have the pet like it was before, or as a single time use BoE.

The best part is when I do that right click/report thing on them for weeks on end, and every time I log on in Org I'm still seeing the same exact name spamming away.

Warlock82 wrote:
    Nobody wrote:

I hate Jin'do. Thankfully I have all the valor crap I want, so I don't really need to run it anymore (unless I feel like doing it on my alt). I don't get what the fuck is so confusing about that fight - it's not freaking hard. Yet pugs fail on it consistantly. My favorite was when 3 of the 5 group members didn't speak english (again, fuck you Blizzard for pooling US and Latin/Portuguese realms together) and weren't standing on the chains and were killing the trolls. We wiped for like an hour. Finally one of them left and we actually got a decent DPS that knew to stand on the chains.

In this case it was a hunter who kept switching pets (sometimes mid pull) between corehound and spirit beast, and was managing to hit everything but spirits. This was even after I had brought it up multiple times (hell, I even asked once "Have you guys been here before?").

• Options
    Why was he swtiching pets? and between those two?

• Options
    Brainleech wrote:
    Why was he swtiching pets? and between those two?

Hell if I know. I think she was just trying to show off since she had Chromaggus for the corehound and one of the new MF spirit beasts (the one that looks like a tiger).

• Options
    tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    It really is astonishing how much difference there is in that fight from a healer's perspective based on the people killing ghosts. No ghost killing = omgwtfbbqdead. Some ghost killing then switch to burn down chains as they break free = la-di-da-di-omgwtfbbqdead. Someone stays on ghosts the whole time = this is pretty easy...

Chain placement can also screw you. Sometimes people will go to different chains and they'll be out of los of each other because I guess a three foot tall wall is just too high to see over. Helps a lot with this and ghost management if everyone moves as a group to each chain in turn.

Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • Options
    A poor time to show off it seems
    It is annoying a new trend is to kill the spiders and other hunter tamable pets for the 25g and the usual keep them out of the hands of others

• Options
    Well of the various times I have done jin'do people split up and stay buy a chain to make sure he hits one and again till it's over