Options

Old wow chat thread. go find the new one.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    What does $10 buy these days, gold-wise?

I'd like to know what the threshold is for me buying the pet on the AH.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I think it depends on the server. Last time I remember seeing goldspam in Org on Bael`Gun, $10 was 15kg.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Who is going to pay 15k for a one use pet? I mean the venn diagram of people paying 15k for these is like Loves pets//Has tons of Gold//doesn't want to spend $10 real money.

I mean, there can't be that many people, right?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    The rare parrot that drops off some lowbie pirate mobs in STV goes for around 20k on my AH (I bought it as a "bargain" one time for 12k).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote:
    The rare parrot that drops off some lowbie pirate mobs in STV goes for around 20k on my AH (I bought it as a "bargain" one time for 12k).

I bought one for 10s several years ago :) Go go not being epic at the time! :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I was a kind and giving soul when the rare parrot actually dropped for me when I was farming Rum. Instead of putting it up on the AH, I merely informed the two pet collectors in my guild that I had it, and then watched the bidding war unfold.

As it is now on my server even the hard to get pets such as the Argent Tournement pets don't got for over 5000, and the rare drops like the dragonlings, oozeling, and rare raptors barely ever break 15k. I'm thinking that at msot, these $10 bets will be more around the Argent prices than the Hyacinth Macaw.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Several years ago 1000g was considered a "lot of gold".
    I remember going into TBC from vanilla I had some 1200g and thought of myself as "rich".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    heh, when I posted a screenshot here midway through TBC with 20k gold incidentally on it, people made a big deal about it

seems like so little now

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I remember when 500g was a lot. On my shaman, I avoided buying any mount because ghost wolf was only a little slower than the widely available cheap mount, but only a little slower. It took back-to-back lucky days in LBRS and winning the fire protection pot recipe for me to change my mind and then I only bought the cheapo one. It wasn't until they introduced the tranquil mechanical yeti and I sold 5 on the Neutral AH the first day that I bought my epic mount.

Now a days gold seems easier to acquire, even ignoring gold-buying, but I understand people value their time differently.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    The Sunwell dailies made the difference for me. They were do-able in a nice, tight geographic area and could be completed in about half an hour, and so my way was clear to daily my way towards an epic flight mount for my Shaman. Dailies are so common and varied now that you can rotate where you wish to spend your half-hour per day and thus keep them fresh.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    The best companion was the original black worg pup. That little guy would defend you and attack people for 1 damage. He would even break rogues out of Stealth.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    You know what kind of pet I would pay real money for? The kind that automatically loots the corpses near me.

• Options
    Don't make me actually want to give Blizzard money for that. Because I would.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Make it a Hyena cub (for the scavenging) and I'd be all over it as well.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Hey, quick question: Have the heroics been nerfed to the point where when my wife(Holy Paladin) and I(Prot/Ret Paladin) can jump into them when we ding 80, or should we do normals until we reach certain HP numbers and such? I think I'm around 85 or 90k health tanking right now(still level 84), but I'm mostly playing as Ret. If DPS numbers matter, I seem to be doing about 6.5k or 7k DPS on heroic bosses when I'm ret. A lot of our gear is still our level 80 epics, and a bunch of greens and blues acquired while questing so far.

I don't mind grinding out normals for a bit first if that's what we need to do, but I just figured I'd check.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    If you meet the gear requirements honestly (so, not cheesing via pvp/offspec gear), you can jump right in, particularly since you won't hav eto worry about getting a terrible tank/healer.

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Zython wrote:
    forty wrote:
    Dronus86 wrote:
    If a boomkin needs on a neck with spirit, does he get +100 so he has a chance against healers?
    This is a good question, though. 3 of the 5 DPS caster classes (or 9 specs) are fine with spirit gear, but on the other hand, flagging spirit jewelry/cloaks as "DPS" gear risks mages/warlocks rolling on it. Similarly, will non-spirit int jewelry/cloaks be flagged as DPS gear only and not healing gear? Blizzard insists healers don't need to be grabbing only gear with spirit, but of course it's a little different when they're competing with mages/warlocks for those classes' only options. I would assume whichever way they decide, it'll end up that either the answer is "yes" to both or "no" to both, and I'd assume they'll lean toward making jewelry/cloaks single-role just so that they don't have half of the raid rolling on a single item.

They said that items can be flagged for multiple class roles (like with tank/cat druid), so I imagine that spirit leather and mail will be flagged as both healing and dps, but spirit cloth and plate will only be flagged as healing.

Edit: Now that I think of it, spirit accessories are going to be a huge problem in this regard...
    I was specifically talking about accessories there.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    If you meet the gear requirements honestly (so, not cheesing via pvp/offspec gear), you can jump right in, particularly since you won't hav eto worry about getting a terrible tank/healer.

Thanks. I wasn't sure how low the gear requirements were set, and I didn't want to get in there and waste somebody else's time.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I don't really see what the problem is with letting healers and dps casters roll on spirit trinkets. It's good when loot is usable by a lot of classes.

The real outliers will be those trinkets that are useful in ways that (probably) weren't intended, like the shard of woe.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Spirit isnt the only special case out there. I am still using dps shoulders in my tanking set because they were a heroic drop. Then what about gear with combinations of stats usefull for multiple classes (such as rings/necks with hit/exp)? It is just a problem/drama source waiting to happen. I guess we shall see if blizz can make it work properly but with the precedence in place I doubt it.

Jubal77 on
  • Options

PVP gear is hardly cheesing. It works just fine for beginning heroic gear now that the most useful stat for most classes is int/sta/str/agi.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote:

PVP gear is hardly cheesing. It works just fine for beginning heroic gear now that the most useful stat for most classes is int/sta/str/agi.

Except if you're a healer or tank. Especially tanks. Secondary stats are the most useful stats for tanks, and if you're tanking in pvp gear, half of your stat budget goes down the drain due to Resilience. Stamina's not quite as important, really. Once you're beyond a certain health threshold, you shouldn't actively gear for it anymore.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    Dibby wrote:
    Jubal77 wrote:

Except if you're a healer or tank. Especially tanks. Secondary stats are the most useful stats for tanks, and if you're tanking in pvp gear, half of your stat budget goes down the drain due to Resilience. Stamina's not quite as important, really. Once you're beyond a certain health threshold, you shouldn't actively gear for it anymore.

That threshold is way past normal heroics. Your fine as a tank in pvp gear. I have a pali alt that tanks heroics just fine in them. Healer too but dont play him as much as my other alts and most likely wont till last.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote:
    Your fine as a tank in pvp gear.

Your healer would disagree.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    Jubal77 wrote:

Indeed.

• Options
    reVerse wrote:
    Jubal77 wrote:

Heh... the pvp gear is VASTLY superior to the gear that I first started tanking heroics on my warrior when the xpac was new. And now we have luck of the draw and general nerfs to the heroics. It is not that big of a deal people just make it more of a problem than it is because ... well i dont know why. It makes no logical sense.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    It depends what pvp gear we're talking about. If we're talking about the latest pvp epics, sure, you can tank a heroic in those. Hell any 370ish geared plate dps can tank a standard heroic without any trouble.

On the other hand if you are meeting the ilvl reqs with craftable or blue pvp bits, you may have trouble. Primary stats are the most important thing, but the other stats make a contribution (this is especially true for tanks.) If you're dumping a bunch of mitigation or spirit in exchange for useless resilience at a contemporary ilvl, you're going to struggle.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote:
    reVerse wrote:
    Jubal77 wrote:

Heh... the pvp gear is VASTLY superior to the gear that I first started tanking heroics on my warrior when the xpac was new. And now we have luck of the draw and general nerfs to the heroics. It is not that big of a deal people just make it more of a problem than it is because ... well i dont know why. It makes no logical sense.

Yeah no. You might be "fine" but because you lack avoidance/mitigation your healer is tearing their hair out trying to keep you up. You can have all the health in the world and it's not going to make any difference if you have no avoidance or mitigation.

People make a big deal out of it because it is a big deal. It doesn't seem that way to you because you're only looking at it from your own viewpoint. So while you're being a superpro tank in pvp gear living through all this damage being done to you, your healer is busting his ass off popping cooldowns and spamming heals.

It's called pvp gear for a reason.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I should make it clear I am not advocating fresh 85s queueing for a role that they havent spent 80-85 gearing for I am stating that when you hit 85 and your gear is a mixture of 333 blues or so it makes perfect sense to use the pvp gear to get your ilvl up to run heroics. It is what they are there for. To start gathering JP for tier and replacing your prior gear with 346 purps. I didnt realize you had to be 346 ilvl to run them which seems to be what the general populace believes. It is just lazy whining to me.

Edit: Of course I mean the top purple pvp gear. Why would you not use those? I actually used the old pvp crafted when the xpac was first released to get to the ilvl to run heroics initially. I survived just fine.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote:
    I should make it clear I am not advocating fresh 85s queueing for a role that they havent spent 80-85 gearing for I am stating that when you hit 85 and your gear is a mixture of 333 blues or so it makes perfect sense to use the pvp gear to get your ilvl up to run heroics. It is what they are there for. To start gathering JP for tier and replacing your prior gear with 346 purps. I didnt realize you had to be 346 ilvl to run them which seems to be what the general populace believes. It is just lazy whining to me.

"It is what they are there for"? No, PvP gear does not exist for the purpose of bumping your ilvl up so you can run heroics. PvP gear exists for, gasp, pvping.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote:
    I should make it clear I am not advocating fresh 85s queueing for a role that they havent spent 80-85 gearing for I am stating that when you hit 85 and your gear is a mixture of 333 blues or so it makes perfect sense to use the pvp gear to get your ilvl up to run heroics. It is what they are there for.

No, you dim goose. That gear is there for PvP.

• Options
    Jubal77 wrote:
    Edit: Of course I mean the top purple pvp gear. Why would you not use those? I actually used the old pvp crafted when the xpac was first released to get to the ilvl to run heroics initially. I survived just fine.

Because of all the reasons I just posted. Resilience is a dead stat for tanks. Tanks thrive on secondary stats. Just cause it has more stamina doesn't mean a damn thing. PvP is also itemized for DPS or Healing; not tanking. There's no pvp gear that has Parry or Dodge on it.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Y'know, Jubal, for someone who is constantly whining about "teh casuls" and how Blizzard is ruining the game by catering to them, you seem highly ignorant of simplest gameplay mechanics.

reVerse on
  • Options
    So please tell me how losing 1-3% dodge and/or parry will cause peoples demise in heroics? Please. Tell me im listening.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Dibby wrote:
    Yeah no. You might be "fine" but because you lack avoidance/mitigation your healer is tearing their hair out trying to keep you up. You can have all the health in the world and it's not going to make any difference if you have no avoidance or mitigation.

People make a big deal out of it because it is a big deal. It doesn't seem that way to you because you're only looking at it from your own viewpoint. So while you're being a superpro tank in pvp gear living through all this damage being done to you, your healer is busting his ass off popping cooldowns and spamming heals.

It's called pvp gear for a reason.

Here let me spell it out for you using BOLDY BITS since apparently you're having trouble reading the post I keep refering you to.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Bahaha that is a good one. That is not a significant amount of mitigation and I was probably very generous in the percentages I listed there. The different between a tank who tanked his way to 85 and replaced bits to get up to heroics and one who buys a couple of the more expensive "tanky" items is most likely under 1% loss. The pvp gear isnt to blame here.

I am telling you this through direct experience.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    If you know what you're doing then ya, you can mitigate a lot(smart pulls, cc, knowing how much you can get away with and minimize incoming damage) and manage to tank heroics in pvp gear but you're still making it harder on the healer than it has to be.

• Options
    I would wager that the difference between a fresh 85 tank with same ilvl, one a couple of reforged pvp and one with a couple pieces of beginner crafted tanky purps, is negligible and the real making it harder coming from just being a fresh 85.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    reVerse wrote:
    Y'know, Jubal, for someone who is constantly whining about "teh casuls" and how Blizzard is ruining the game by catering to them, you seem highly ignorant of simplest gameplay mechanics.

That battle was lost long ago. Doesnt mean I still dont enjoy raiding with the people I do.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    I'm sure it brings you great joy being carried through content in your spirit-gemmed PvP gear.