As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old wow chat thread. go find the new one.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    forty wrote:
    cncaudata wrote:
    Seriously? 3 tanks in 10 man? Oof.
    No one is using 3 tanks in 10 man. ToddJewell's guild uses 3 in 25 man.

Yeah we have 3 tanks to allow for nights off and the like. Just like we have 4 geared healers and around 8 dps.... more now we got some more apps for dps finally. And perhaps i wont have to dps as much now heh.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    The hell? What kind of bizarro server are you on that you're lacking dps but have plenty of heals/tanks?

Incidentally, I started running the zulroics on my pally the last couple days because I figured I might as well see them sometime. I've ran each several times now and oddly I've never fought the bear boss in ZA. Either the party falls apart prior to, or I join a party in progress post bear.

So that's something.

I was thinking of maybe starting to tank them to shorten my queue time and my tank gear is good enough for them, but is there anything I should be aware of that I wouldn't see intuitively in ZA/ZG as a tank? I've tried paying attention for the most part as I'm dpsing as to how they tanks are tanking, so I think I get it, but there's still some stuff that is slightly a mystery to me, like, how and when to pull the cats on the cat boss in ZG and uh...proper placement of the boss and such on the bird boss in ZA.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Well full of loot whores and just plain bad dps. Last dps left us after the first week. He didnt get the bird and the tier helm off of rag so zoom. We run epgp. The reason we have the healers and tanks is that 4 of us have been raiding together off and on since vanilla (curently playing 2 tanks and 2 healers). 6 of us since wrath. Only 1 of those is currently a dps.
    I was thinking of maybe starting to tank them to shorten my queue time and my tank gear is good enough for them, but is there anything I should be aware of that I wouldn't see intuitively in ZA/ZG as a tank? I've tried paying attention for the most part as I'm dpsing as to how they tanks are tanking, so I think I get it, but there's still some stuff that is slightly a mystery to me, like, how and when to pull the cats on the cat boss in ZG and uh...proper placement of the boss and such on the bird boss in ZA.

First thing you will run into alot of people bitching at each other in ZA. But you should know that as a dps. As a tank you wont notice much of a difference from tanking other normal heroics... the main difference is that if your ilvl is low CC (yeah i know easy one), and just use your tanking intuition. Some things that do cause issues that are ZA centric though would be the fire from dragonhawk boss centers from under him so you will sometimes get hit by it even with him facing away. Panther boss just grab the next pack when the last one dies. Bring the big add you have to a different chain than where the others are standing and help cc adds if you can. The rest of the fights you should know from being a dps. One thing that irks me as a dps is tanks that constantly move lynx boss. There is no real need to do this unless you still have time left on your bear run. The rest is just tank and spank. Unless i missed something.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Well, that doesn't sound fun. Why don't you server hop and get into a good server/guild that isn't full of loot whores and bad players?

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Competent dps is just as rare as competent healers and tanks, but you need ~18 of them.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    thenshewaslikethenshewaslike Registered User regular
    The hell? What kind of bizarro server are you on that you're lacking dps but have plenty of heals/tanks?

Incidentally, I started running the zulroics on my pally the last couple days because I figured I might as well see them sometime. I've ran each several times now and oddly I've never fought the bear boss in ZA. Either the party falls apart prior to, or I join a party in progress post bear.

So that's something.

Pull the cats as fast as you are comfortable doing it, and the bird boss can be where ever you feel like. I can't think of much you wouldn't know if you'd done everything before as a DPS. Even non-tanks know that you don't stand around and get puked on with ZG's snake boss, that the lynx phase on the last boss on ZA drops aggro, etc.

• Options
    edited October 2011

So that's something.

Pull the cats as fast as you are comfortable doing it, and the bird boss can be where ever you feel like. I can't think of much you wouldn't know if you'd done everything before as a DPS. Even non-tanks know that you don't stand around and get puked on with ZG's snake boss, that the lynx phase on the last boss on ZA drops aggro, etc.

RE: ZA bird boss, what about the eggs hatching? One time I did it and the tank took the boss to one of the bridges, I thought to grab the adds before they hatched the eggs but he never bothered to stop them once. So...I didn't really get the point. And the DPS didn't bother stopping the other sides hatchers so it was just chaos. I think I actually have only fought that boss once. Is there any reason you would want birds to hatch?

EDIT: I realize that maybe that's not the bird boss. Maybe they're firehawks or something, I don't remember. I do have a question about the bird though. When the fight starts a rangefinder pops up but as far as I can tell nothing was really effected by range of other players. EDIT2: Oh its a targeted aoe attack. Maybe when I did it the healer just healed through it. We were all melee so I'm not sure how it could be avoided.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited October 2011

So that's something.

RE: ZA bird boss, what about the eggs hatching? One time I did it and the tank took the boss to one of the bridges, I thought to grab the adds before they hatched the eggs but he never bothered to stop them once. So...I didn't really get the point. And the DPS didn't bother stopping the other sides hatchers so it was just chaos. I think I actually have only fought that boss once. Is there any reason you would want birds to hatch?

Yeah if you dont let them out one side at a time he will hatch them all (both sides) at a certain point which I forget... heh.

Edit: What class is your tank?

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote:
    I think 3.3 was the peak for WoW as of right now. 4.3 is looking to match or beat that. Prolly won't personally for me, because the atmosphere in ICC was pretty immersive IMO and Dragon Soul doesn't sound as interesting yet but we'll see how it plays out. But everything else they are putting in. More accessible raids so I can do shit on my Alts on my own time. 5 mans that will make gearing up Alts for the current tier easy.
    More power to ya, but Icecrown never struck me as immersive; the whole thing felt like a Naxx retread, only with fewer branching corridors, more pushing their new take on the story, and some terrible design choices leading to some of the worst story integration in a raid setting the game's ever had. Saurfang, you're great, but STFU and get out of the way. Same to you, paladin dude who cheeses the LK kill. Really, the presentation as a whole sucked a lot of the immersion out of it, which is odd since Blizzard's been pretty good about that in the past.

Take, for instance, Ulduar. There were a lot of new characters there, a lot of colorful settings, and the layout felt right for a dungeon compared to ICC's gauntlet. And the dialogue before boss fights didn't take up 2 minutes for every single attempt, too. If it weren't for Karazhan being so goddamn awesome, it'd be the best dungeon this game's ever offered me.

Patchwise, I think WoW peaked at the start of 1.9. Their first and last server cooperation event, where everyone had to grind the fuck out of everything for weeks on end to unlock an abomination of a raid whose only saving grace was having some of the best and most unique boss fights in the game. Yeah, it sounds like shit now, especially since the actual unlock events were broke as fuck, but servers who put effort into trying to unlock it first were a hell of a lot of fun. Guilds were holding raffles all the time, the high end groups were organizing dungeon runs and raids like never before, opposing factions were helping each other sneak into the other's city... it wasn't Blizzard trying to lighten things up, it was the folks playing the game. Or maybe they made it worse. Some guilds on servers with only a single feasible raiding guild held their keys for ransom, ffs. When has a guild ever had that sort of power before, or since then? Yeah, it was broken, so is every patch. No other patch has matched the magnitude of that social experience, even the introduction of the honor system (especially the honor system, fuck if anyone ever got to speak to another person in less than minute long intervals in TM/SS). In the end, its the prime seller for any MMO.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Around 30% health he'll hatch all the unhatched eggs, so you want at least one side's to have been hatched gradually by one of the hatcher adds or you're gonna get raped by about 40 birds. Cookie cutter strat is just to kill one of the two hatcher adds that runs in and let the other go, then tank the boss close to that side and get the adds as they come out.

After all of one side is hatched, you can either let the hatcher(s) go hatch on the other side or just kill them and be ready for the 20 bird clusterfuck around 30%. As long as you can get aggro on them and have shield wall available, you should be fine with only one side hatching all at once.

Hatchers gonna hatch.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Jubal77 wrote:

So that's something.

Yeah if you dont let them out one side at a time he will hatch them all (both sides) at a certain point which I forget... heh.

Edit: What class is your tank?

Well, the one I've been playing is my paladin main, but I want to do some heroics on my DK horde "main" too.

EDIT: And thanks for the explination of the hatching all, that makes sense now. I think that was the only boss in the zulroics I wasn't really clear on.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Then you shouldnt have any problems grabbing the birds then :)

• Options
    Yeah, its not grabbing them that I was worried about, it was the process of why they needed to be grabbed at all.

But yeah I tank with my DK/Pally for a reason. Maybe they're both faceroll tanking, i don't care. I just never enjoyed tanking as my warrior, and as little as I like playing anything but resto on my druid, i can't imagine I'd like bear tanking either.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Assuming you have DBM:

Eagle: if there are melee make sure you're not standing too close to them, as the LB blast he does has an aoe component. if you can, use your aoe attack, it'll kill the brownbirds which makes it easier for the healer. They have very little health.

Bear: The trash in front of bear can't be cced until they've reached the 1/2 mark. No other tricks really.

Dragon hawk: Like above, kite him away after he does burn, because you can still be hit by it. kill 1 hatcher, tank by other side.

Lynx: healer should stand in water totem. In the last pack before the boss, cc the pets (which can be done from the ground) not the humanoids (which can't) The panthers stun. Be ready to interupt the tamer, as he can MC a group mate. Pro-tip, don't use AoTD, cause lynx is tauntable, and he will sit in the well and heal to full (>.<)

Hex lord: Tell your shaman/mage/priest to purge the hots from druid, etc.

Bear form: Duh.
    Lynx form: kill adds 1st, be ready to taunt when he ravages a DPS.
    Dragon hawk: be ready to kite out of burn, which he does right after the fire spin. He also does pillar of fire on random people, kite asap.
    Eagle: look for the lightning totem to kill to mitigate damage, then just avoid tornadoes.

belligerent on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I enjoy tanking on my bear, ever since they buffed the aoe threat (the bear swipe buffs early in Cata) it became much better.

• Options
    Assuming you have DBM:

Eagle: if there are melee make sure you're not standing too close to them, as the LB blast he does has an aoe component. if you can, use your aoe attack, it'll kill the brownbirds which makes it easier for the healer. They have very little health.

Bear: The trash in front of bear can't be cced until they've reached the 1/2 mark. No other tricks really.

Dragon hawk: Like above, kite him away after he does burn, because you can still be hit by it. kill 1 hatcher, tank by other side.

Lynx: healer should stand in water totem. In the last pack before the boss, cc the pets (which can be done from the ground) not the humanoids (which can't) The panthers stun. Be ready to interupt the tamer, as he can MC a group mate. Pro-tip, don't use AoTD, cause lynx is tauntable, and he will sit in the well and heal to full (>.<)

Hex lord: Tell your shaman/mage/priest to purge the hots from druid, etc.

Bear form: Duh.
    Lynx form: kill adds 1st, be ready to taunt when he ravages a DPS.
    Dragon hawk: be ready to kite out of burn, which he does right after the fire spin.
    Eagle: look for the lightning totem to kill to mitigate damage, then just avoid tornadoes.

Gonna add a little to this:

Dragonhawk: Make certain your DPS do not kill both hatchers. It can be very ugly if they do. Trust me on this.

Lynx boss: All ranged DPS should be with the healer in the water totem since it also heals/gives them mana (as a side note, as an arcane mage you'll never get out of the burn phase doing this).

Hex Lord: when he soul siphons specific classes (Paladins and Shamans typically), he'll almost always drop consecration/fire nova totem right before he tries to cast a heal which makes it ouchie to be in melee range of him to interrupt.

I can't believe it's not Zul'jin:
    Lynx: for when he does the ravage you'll have to learn what you can take, since he'll stun you and finish out the ravage when you taunt. Most tanks count to around 2 before taunting, and pop a cooldown before they do. Again, YMMV.

• Options
    I'm pretty liberal with my tanking cooldowns on boss fights (and other fights really). They're so short and there are so many now, that you can damn near always keep something up making life easier on the healer.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, its not grabbing them that I was worried about, it was the process of why they needed to be grabbed at all.

But yeah I tank with my DK/Pally for a reason. Maybe they're both faceroll tanking, i don't care. I just never enjoyed tanking as my warrior, and as little as I like playing anything but resto on my druid, i can't imagine I'd like bear tanking either.

I don't think anyone really likes Bear Tanking. You'll do fine on your Paladin. Just do what your instincts tell you (face the boss away from people and don't stand in shit) and ignore anything you have ever seen another Tank do.

Personally, finding quality DPS is the hardest thing to do this expansion. Satisfactory Tanks are the easiest to find. In order of easiest to hardest players to get, I'd arrange it as so.

Easiest to Find
    1) Satisfactory Tank
    2) Satisfactory Healer
    3) Quality Healer
    4) Quality Tank
    5) Satisfactory DPS
    6) Quality DPS
    Hardest to Find

I've Puged a lot of people through Heroic Firelands. I haven't PuGed any Tanks yet, but my Off-Tank last Tier was really bad and it was decently easy to teach him how to get into the Satisfactory section. Finding a healer from /2 and knocking out 6/7H in 3 hours has been the easiest for me. Their responsibilities are low and the one fight you need good healers(Baleroc) I can tell them who to heal and when to heal since it is a really easy fight for me.

Edit: I was kind of right, Nobody enjoys Bear Tanking, hahaha.

Buddies on
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    I've enjoyed tanking on my bear so far, although I have limited experience with that character specifically and have no other class at 85 that is even capable of being a tank (I do have a DK at 85 but it's just a gathering bitch, I have no desire to gear it up at all, much less tank). I really have no frame of reference for whether bear tanks are good relative to the other tank classes, but I certainly don't feel squishy in the heroics and T11 raids I've tanked so far.

• Options
    The only time I've really felt squishy on my bear tank was when I was browbeaten into bringing her to tank Firelands for our alt run.

Yeah, at the time she still had a mess of blues and I'm sure our healers were too busy cleaning up the mess on their chairs to be bored.

• Options
    No matter how many times I've taken the SW>Darn boat, I still see "Sentinel Brightass" every time.

• Options
    Bear tanking is like warrior tanking but less fun since you have fewer, inferior tools. And the "unique" tools you do have aren't nearly as useful or applicable.

It's not about being squishy (since bears are actually very non-squishy as of 4.1 or so), but just being a crappier version of a similar tank spec.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    So, is skipping the first boss of BH just the "thing" now? I haven't ran BH since like, 2 weeks after launch until today, and the group didn't even think for a second about bothering with the first boss. 359 gear isn't that bad people. at least not until 4.3. Does he not give valor either?

EDIT: Not that I should be surprised I suppose, Vault was the same way by ICC, but usually most groups did the most recent two bosses at least.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I wouldn't say PvP gear is a problem pe
    So, is skipping the first boss of BH just the "thing" now? I haven't ran BH since like, 2 weeks after launch until today, and the group didn't even think for a second about bothering with the first boss. 359 gear isn't that bad people. at least not until 4.3. Does he not give valor either?

EDIT: Not that I should be surprised I suppose, Vault was the same way by ICC, but usually most groups did the most recent two bosses at least.

It's true, 359 gear isn't that bad, but it's all gear you can buy with justice points, and even then, the chances of getting outdated PvP gear are much higher than the chances of getting outdated PvE gear.

• Options
    Generally the only people who could actually use the Argaloth gear are the dead weights making Occu'thar something other than trivial in the first place.

• Options
    That's idiotically elitist.

359 gear is what is appropriate to take down Occuthar in the first place. People with gear above that are just a bonus. If someone is going to get pissy with me for doing 18k in 346/353 gear when the 378's are only doing 25k boo fucking hoo.

I don't think you could make that fight easier if you tried anyway.

• Options
    "Idiotically elitist" = based on facts and experience.

I'd love it if the "dead weight" I spoke of did 18k. Or even five-digit DPS.

• Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Any EU guilds here recruiting a decent tank or healer for firelands hc or 4.3? Considering resubbing soonish but going back to my old guild is not an attractive option for raiding. I got pretty burned out being the RL and one of the 4 people in our 10 man who were prepared every week. Now I just want to raid without the hassle of leading the raid. Got a prot warrior and resto druid both of which were played pretty regularly due to fluctuating attendance but I'm more comfortable with healing.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone would complain if the pugs they ran Occuthar with did 18k, no matter what their gear. It's the 8k folks that don't stack for eyes and die in fire that get people upset, and not wanting to drag them through another boss isn't elitist, it's just an attempt to preserve ones sanity.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    Oh, I get not running to run bads. I totally get that.

I just thought the base statement, that if you needed 359 gear then you were obviously being carried in Occ and GTFO, was pretty dickish.

I guess, while there has always been hate in WoW (and everywhere) between "hardcorez and casuals" etc, it really feels like it's ramped up an inordinate amount lately. Maybe its related to the LFR tool or something; I don't know.

It's just as someone who used to raid, but doesn't anymore and plays completely different than I used to, but still feel I am quite a good player when I do feel like playing with others instead of doing my own thing, statements like that which are so overgeneralized and unnecessarily harsh really rub me the wrong way.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Here's the thing though, the people who whine the most about doing the pit lord guy after the eye dog are usually the worst players who think wasting time killing him for a small chance at a pve item they can buy for JP is worth it. People who can squeeze 15k out of 350-something gear don't really give a shit about the other boss since they play well enough to know their time is better spent elsewhere.

• Options
    I just wanted to kill the guy. I only did it once before and just wanted to see the fight again. And it occured to me that I probably won't really get a chance to do it on my other toons if folks just straight up don't kill it.

• Options
    thenshewaslikethenshewaslike Registered User regular
    When we've bothered to do TB with my 10 man guild the past few months, we've done it with between 14 and 18 people. I really can't imagine how bad one would have to be for anyone to give one bit of a shit if the raid had a full 25, as long as there weren't very many people being that bad.

I can understand not bothering with the pit lord though. That's time I could be spending looking for another TB pug on another alt.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    So, is skipping the first boss of BH just the "thing" now? I haven't ran BH since like, 2 weeks after launch until today, and the group didn't even think for a second about bothering with the first boss.

Skipping Argaloth was the norm on my server the week 4.2 hit. Groups basically just grab 10-15 people, go for Occ and that's it.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    The same thing happened with VoA last expansion. If the majority of the raid doesn't care about anything off the lesser bosses, then they're just going to kill the most recent one and get out of there.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I have not ran BH on my rogue since firelands came out because people are doing insane things like I wanted ranged DPS or lfm item level 365 pst.
    But they do not drop valor

Or my favorite was Lf heals for BoT link achievment I link a fake one and get in and O boy what a nightmare that was and were they every mad that the achiement popped

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote:
    The same thing happened with VoA last expansion. If the majority of the raid doesn't care about anything off the lesser bosses, then they're just going to kill the most recent one and get out of there.

Well on the horde people would get on alts and do them I took my warrior on the fire boss a few times and Also for a vain chance at the Mammoth

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'll give you a bit of the lowdown on why the death knight set hasn't come out yet, even in the 4.3 PTR files third-party sites are looking through. As with all sets, a concept art piece was done for death knight tier 13. When that was translated to the actual in-game look, we felt it wasn't up to par with the concept, and ultimately wasn't nearly at the quality level of the other tier 13 sets.

Imagine that, a set so hideous that it would've outsucked the rogue bat set.

reVerse on
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    They just couldn't live with dwarf females in platemail spaghetti strap bikinis.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    forty wrote:
    "Idiotically elitist" = based on facts and experience.

I'd love it if the "dead weight" I spoke of did 18k. Or even five-digit DPS.
    Had a frost mage pug (in an otherwise full guild group) doing 4-5k the other day in heroic Grim Batol. Good thing the other two dps (me and a guildie) were doing close to 30.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png