As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Dark Souls/Demon's Souls. A veritable buffet of souls!

• Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    I love exploring! I get to find new things...and old things I guess.

Back at the Asylum...
    Holy crap falling through the floor scared the shit out of me, plus huge demon. Urgh! However, after I cleared out everything else in the Asylum, I went back and killed the Stray Demon after about 12 tries. Apparently he's susceptible to bleeding attacks, because every 3 or 4 there'd be a large gout of blood and he'd suddenly have ~1/10th of his life missing. Also ran into my first crystal lizard on the path to the Darkroot Basin. If you miss them, do they respawn? Because I went back after missing it once, and it was there again.

re:geckos supposedly it's just like demon's souls and they only respawn a limited number of times..i don't know how you managed to miss it once since they move more like tortoises than the roadrunners on crack riding greased lightning that they were in demon's souls :p

I was walking down and stopped to talk to my wife about something when I noticed what I thought was a glowing soul started moving...ran after it but missed it still. So, yeah. I should know better than to stop and idle anywhere but the campfire.

PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    got the moonlight butterfly down

went at capra once

came back

just killled him

hands shakin

FUCK YEAH

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It feels so good to kill him

also glitched the shit out of him by keeping him under the stairs for a REALLY long time

also helped that my gargoyle halbred +4 was one shotting the dogs

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I'm pretty disappointed how people aren't rating messages as much these days. I've been putting down some legitimately good strategies and get nothing out of it.
    Like luring that one super knight on the top of the tower all the way down so he can get roasted by the dragon.

It's just courtesy.

Also do you get anything out of getting rated? I've had some Humanity pop up out of nowhere, so I wonder if that's due to ratings.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Oh I am so going to do that, Snugglesworth.

The bugger deserves it.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Okay, the swamp area at the bottom of Blighttown is the biggest pile of Fuck You this game has thrown at me yet.

I'm okay with having to sprint in poison water between patches of land. The problem I'm having is you just can't SEE the patches of land you need to find. Even worse is the shit slows you down, so I'll almost make it somewhere and for some reason my character just won't get out of the water. So I get poisoned and have to return to the bonfire. This is so stupid, I haven't died down here but I just can't GET anywhere without getting poisoned.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Just head to the forest and stock up on anti poison moss.

I've got nearly double digits of the stuff from hacking my way through tree men.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I'm pretty disappointed how people aren't rating messages as much these days. I've been putting down some legitimately good strategies and get nothing out of it.
    Like luring that one super knight on the top of the tower all the way down so he can get roasted by the dragon.

It's just courtesy.

Also do you get anything out of getting rated? I've had some Humanity pop up out of nowhere, so I wonder if that's due to ratings.

sometimes you get humanity randomly from normal enemies, not just rats

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Thief is so fucking fun.
    Backstabbing, parrying and riposting, rolling like a crazy person.
    Good times!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Haha okay Dark Souls. I guess you were easing me in gently or something? Gaping Demon has an acute case of not giving a fuck

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Woot, I killed my first super knight :) Take that spear dude, should have been smart and used a gigantic unblockable sword like your 'bros'

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:
    I hate the capra demon, screw him and his dogs and his unblockable attack. I'm going to go and fight some plant men instead

I think I've posted this like five times now.. if you just fight him near the entrance only one dog will engage you. Kill that dog quick if you can... for me I just held block and the dog jumped at me, killed it in 2 hits after it hit my block.

The boss itself, just circle it constantly and manage your stamina. Not sure about any unblockable attacks, does your shield have 100% physical block? He rarely hits you anyway if you just stay SUPER CLOSE to him and circle him... only attack after during long pauses he makes after his attacks, as some of them he doesn't really pause because he is doing a 2-3 hit combo.

Running to the stairs to exploit AI is silly, cause you will have to fight two dogs and any time you have distance to him he will lunge attack at you which really hurts more than anything up close.
    I guess some people beat him that way, but seems silly... I killed him my second try... I also played the living shit outta demons souls and thought flamelurker was easy, so there's that.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Robes wrote:
    Huh, I must've missed the second bell in the Depths. I killed the Gaping Dragon and didn't see any other paths. I thought I'd been everywhere down there, but I guess I missed it.
    After you kill the dragon and get the key. Go back to the vendor in the dephts. It'll take you to blighttown. You have to trek through Blighttown to get to Queelag. That's where the second bell is

+1 Rating.

---

Anyone with the guide want to spoiler some divine weapons, or weapons with a decent Faith stat (besides Talismans)? Also, how can it be that the Cleric's starting Talisman is A Rank, and every other one I've found so far is worse.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Also, I'm doing my best to hack at enemies with tails or what look like obvious weakspots in hopes of earning something new (such as with the Gaping Dragon, or Bell Gargoyles), but not sure what I could be doing wrong.

My only guess is that I'm doing too much damage, too fast. Could it be based on hits, or just hitting the sweet spot and random luck on whether it drops for you?

El Fantastico on

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote:
    It feels so good to kill him

also glitched the shit out of him by keeping him under the stairs for a REALLY long time

also helped that my gargoyle halbred +4 was one shotting the dogs

That is by far the lamest battle I've dealt with. The camera is absolute junk in there. When I lucked out and one of the dogs got stuck on a pillar, he was a joke when I sliced him good with my Drake Sword. He really is an easy boss in one of the most obnoxious rooms in the game.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Badwrong wrote:
    tbloxham wrote:
    I hate the capra demon, screw him and his dogs and his unblockable attack. I'm going to go and fight some plant men instead

I think I've posted this like five times now.. if you just fight him near the entrance only one dog will engage you. Kill that dog quick if you can... for me I just held block and the dog jumped at me, killed it in 2 hits after it hit my block.

The boss itself, just circle it constantly and manage your stamina. Not sure about any unblockable attacks, does your shield have 100% physical block? He rarely hits you anyway if you just stay SUPER CLOSE to him and circle him... only attack after during long pauses he makes after his attacks, as some of them he doesn't really pause because he is doing a 2-3 hit combo.

Running to the stairs to exploit AI is silly, cause you will have to fight two dogs and any time you have distance to him he will lunge attack at you which really hurts more than anything up close.
    I guess some people beat him that way, but seems silly... I killed him my second try... I also played the living shit outta demons souls and thought flamelurker was easy, so there's that.

That's random though, half the time if you just stand by the entrance he'll lunge attack you and be at you before the dog, so your choice is to block the lunge attack and be pretty much insta killed, or dodge and aggro the other dog anyway.

edit: shady, that's probably mostly because the drake sword is so OP it flat out breaks the first 1/3 of the game

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote:
    tbloxham wrote:

He does a double handed massive attack which seems to ignore your shield. I had killed his dogs with bombs, and was doing ok fighting him as if he was a knight, but then he did the two hand swing and it consumed all my stamina and killed me completely from 75% health in one hit.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Shen wrote:
    Haha okay Dark Souls. I guess you were easing me in gently or something? Gaping Demon has an acute case of not giving a fuck

The fanged vagina face one? Easiest boss in the game, hands down.

Just attack his back and cut the tail off first... thats it, really. When attacking his ass, stop attacking when he starts to arch his front up and run away. Then just stay away until he does his "dash" like thing which is SLOW as fuck... and circle around him to attack his back again.

Also he can be made even easier by summoning a dude while you are human.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    To my Stone Sword +2

Metallic circus
    Ardently homicidal
    Scavenging rogues drip

Love, your friend.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2011

It's just courtesy.

Wait, you can kite the big knight all the way
    back under the bridge, and then back on top?

skyknyt on
    Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    skyknyt wrote:

It's just courtesy.

Wait, you can kite the big knight all the way
    back under the bridge, and then back on top?

Nein, he means
    kiting him through the arch that leads to the boar from the room directly under the dragon. When you get in there the dragon buggers off until you run out onto the bridge again. To get to that room, just run between his legs when he's mad. From there you can open the gate and bob's your uncle.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Robes wrote:
    Huh, I must've missed the second bell in the Depths. I killed the Gaping Dragon and didn't see any other paths. I thought I'd been everywhere down there, but I guess I missed it.
    After you kill the dragon and get the key. Go back to the vendor in the dephts. It'll take you to blighttown. You have to trek through Blighttown to get to Queelag. That's where the second bell is

+1 Rating.

---

Anyone with the guide want to spoiler some divine weapons, or weapons with a decent Faith stat (besides Talismans)? Also, how can it be that the Cleric's starting Talisman is A Rank, and every other one I've found so far is worse.

Astora's Straight Sword needs 14 faith to wield, it's found in the Valley of Drakes by a giant skeletal dragon.

ladi.png
  • Options
    That's random though, half the time if you just stand by the entrance he'll lunge attack you and be at you before the dog, so your choice is to block the lunge attack and be pretty much insta killed, or dodge and aggro the other dog anyway.

If he hits you, it knocks of a shitton of stamina... so if you release block just enough to get a touch of stamina back you can block the dog when it jumps.

For the two tries at him, the dog jumped at me when I walked in. Might be because I have that ring on that makes me silent and the dog sees me first... dunno.
    I think if lunge attack was something he instantly was going to do, I would have moved to the right as I recall some pillars there.

Maybe its just because I have a high endurance and strength build, so blocking his shit was easy. Although he only hit my block a few times once I was super close to him.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

It's just courtesy.

sometimes you get humanity randomly from normal enemies, not just rats

Is there a benefit to stack Humanity? The more you have, the more bonus of something you get?

Oh and guys, please put enemy strategies in spoilers. This is meant to be a game you're supposed to mostly figure out on your own. Spoiler tag it for those who aren't desperate (yet) enough to look up strategies.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Badwrong wrote:

If he hits you, it knocks of a shitton of stamina... so if you release block just enough to get a touch of stamina back you can block the dog when it jumps.

For the two tries at him, the dog jumped at me when I walked in. Might be because I have that ring on that makes me silent and the dog sees me first... dunno.
    I think if lunge attack was something he instantly was going to do, I would have moved to the right as I recall some pillars there.

Maybe its just because I have a high endurance and strength build, so blocking his shit was easy. Although he only hit my block a few times once I was super close to him.

I'm at 16 endurance/18 strength, his lunge attack will insta stagger me from a block, and i'll be hit again and die before I recover from it, I managed to beat him last night with another player summoned but there was no way I was going to be able to block that first attack at the level i did him (17)

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    Honestly, even without the Drake Sword, once you manage to circle around him he is an easy boss compared to everything up to this point. Well, except the butterfly who is more annoying but laughable once you get to attack. The problem is he is in the most awfully designed room that more often than not I was dying because I couldn't see what was going on. Once I lucked out with one dog, he really couldn't too much in a close range battle if you're used to dodging by then.

• Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    I'm still just getting through the first play through, so I'm not too worried about min/maxing, but I was wondering... Is it worth the humanity to kindle the fires? Is the only reward extra flasks? When I'm playing, I've only ever run out of flasks once. I'll usually drink one if I'm below 1/3rd health, and when I die, it's because I got hit by something that takes off 3/4 of my health in 1 hit or combo.

Wouldn't it be better to keep the humanity for the extra item find %?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    I didn't play Demon Souls, what are Crystal Lizards? I think I found one early in the game when heading up to fight the Taurus Demon, I broke those barrels before him and this crystal thing popped out and scurried away. I tried hitting it, but it got away.

...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I didn't play Demon Souls, what are Crystal Lizards? I think I found one early in the game when heading up to fight the Taurus Demon, I broke those barrels before him and this crystal thing popped out and scurried away. I tried hitting it, but it got away.

They drop rare ore that you can only get from them to upgrade weapons and armor, and they only spawn a limited number of times

edit: dont worry svevin, you will soon hit points where you need the extra flasks, i can guarentee it

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    They drop tasty twinkling titanite shards and the like. Twinkling is for upgrading magic items to plus five. Some shard varieties can be bought from vendors, or farmed off other critters.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Badwrong wrote:
    Shen wrote:

The fanged vagina face one? Easiest boss in the game, hands down.

Just attack his back and cut the tail off first... thats it, really. When attacking his ass, stop attacking when he starts to arch his front up and run away. Then just stay away until he does his "dash" like thing which is SLOW as fuck... and circle around him to attack his back again.

Also he can be made even easier by summoning a dude while you are human.

Beat it, thanks. Should I just assume everything with a tail drops a specific weapon? lol

ladi.png
  • Options
    Pretty much. If it has a tail and a health bar longer than your latest restraining order, consider giving it a few good whacks.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote:
    Nein, he means
    kiting him through the arch that leads to the boar from the room directly under the dragon. When you get in there the dragon buggers off until you run out onto the bridge again. To get to that room, just run between his legs when he's mad. From there you can open the gate and bob's your uncle.
    So the dragon
    leaves when you get to the boar room? Do you have to run back onto the bridge to get into the room behind the dragon, or is there another way to open that gate?

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    skyknyt wrote:
    Basil wrote:
    Nein, he means
    So the dragon
    leaves when you get to the boar room? Do you have to run back onto the bridge to get into the room behind the dragon, or is there another way to open that gate?

Yar.
    You can't get into the room from the Boar's side, gotta go on the bridge and run through the dragon's legs. Then you can open a gate. Since the dragon leaves when you're in there, and comes back when you're on the bridge, you can lead the knight out to be roasted in fire.

You've activated the shortcut to the campfire below the bridge, right? There's a ladder you can kick down.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Shen wrote:
    Robes wrote:

+1 Rating.

---

Astora's Straight Sword needs 14 faith to wield, it's found in the Valley of Drakes by a giant skeletal dragon.

That can't be the ONLY faith weapon. I haven't found it yet. Also, I meant to ask about weapons that add damage based on your faith stat. Sort of like the Blessed/Moon/Crescent weapons from Demon's Souls.

• Options
    Basil wrote:
    Yar.
    You can't get into the room from the Boar's side, gotta go on the bridge and run through the dragon's legs. Then you can open a gate. Since the dragon leaves when you're in there, and comes back when you're on the bridge, you can lead the knight out to be roasted in fire.

You've activated the shortcut to the campfire below the bridge, right? There's a ladder you can kick down.

Yeah, I've cleared
    to the bell demons, just didn't know that the dragon left when you got to the boar.

Tycho wrote:
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    What's the deal with some weapons? I picked up a battle axe and it looks like my character struggles to swing it. It's nothing like my hand axe where I can keep swinging until my stamina runs out.

Am I missing some requirement here? I have more than enough Str and Dex to meet the requirements.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Shen wrote:
    Robes wrote:

+1 Rating.

---

That can't be the ONLY faith weapon. I haven't found it yet. Also, I meant to ask about weapons that add damage based on your faith stat. Sort of like the Blessed/Moon/Crescent weapons from Demon's Souls.

Ah, my guide's not arrived yet so was just saying what I've found. In terms of generic upgrades, Divine/Occult weapons scale with your faith stat.

Shen on
    ladi.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    What's the deal with some weapons? I picked up a battle axe and it looks like my character struggles to swing it. It's nothing like my hand axe where I can keep swinging until my stamina runs out.

Am I missing some requirement here? I have more than enough Str and Dex to meet the requirements.

What's your load? That could be what's holding it back. Also, maybe it's a better two handed weapon.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hey guys

I just got this game

I'm going to go play it now k bye

This discussion has been closed.