As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel Vs Capcom Thread Of Believing in Mike Ross

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well, I swapped out Doom for Strider for his vajra assist so I'm running Dormammu/Firebrand/Strider. I'm having pretty good luck but if it comes down to Strider, I'm pretty much banking on XF3 ourobouros.

Any good beginner guides for Strider? Maybe some bnb help beyond basic magic series?

One sweet setup I figured out with Firebrand/Strider is to do Firebrand's BnB which ends in his dark flame, calling Strider right before I do his hyper. Right after the opponent is done being hit by dark flame, they get hard knocked-down from the vajra assist which can then go into another dark flame.

It's a nice, easy way to get around 700k with Firebrand. The timing can be a little tricky in that if I do dark flame just a fraction of a second too late, the vajra will hit before the dark flame is done and I won't get the hard knockdown, but it at least doesn't really screw me over if I mess up.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Whoops, ignore.

EDIT: Well, I might as well make it relevant. What's up with SRK? Seems to have been down all day for me...

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    SRK's been weird for me too the last couple of days.

So... still playing on a super casual level.. but I'm really liking cap/storm/task. I suck something fierce with storms combos though.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    SRK's been weird for me too the last couple of days.

So... still playing on a super casual level.. but I'm really liking cap/storm/task. I suck something fierce with storms combos though.

Her combos are a little weird. I think the typical BnB involves a ground series into c.H (which sorta launches them), you do a normal jump combo, land, go into a launcher combo and do some shit there.Unless you want to mess around with fly cancels.

I absolutely love her mobility though. I always had a really easy time tri-jumping with her.

• Options
    Yeah. Not sure how much I like task as anchor though. Storm/Task is like having 2 perfect middle slot characters on one team. Its been fun though.

Characters I hate:

• Options
    I would probably put Storm as anchor (disclaimer: I'm not very good at theory-fighting so this may be stupid) if I had that setup. Taskmaster is a touch of death character in XF3 but has a hard time opening people up by himself. Storm is stupidly fast in XF3 and her tri-jumps can make for some really ambiguous approaches.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The dude who made that video, along with some other person, got his account shutdown.

EDIT:
    Rizzi wrote:
    I've gotta ask.
    Why is there hardly anyone playing this online? It's only been out for a short time, and there's next to zero people playing online.
    Even Street Fighter 4 had a community nearly a year after it released. This.. Not so much.

I think the netcode really isn't all that great and I prefer playing offline anyway.

The game's going to have to go through a metric fuck ton of patches before the netcode is even a fraction as decent as AE's

And UMvC3 sold like crap. No surprise, considering they abandoned the original less than a year after it was released.

Plus, the game balance is still pretty awful and there's no news of Capcom even attempting to patch in even slight tweaks, so that means that the game is only really played often by people who hardcore love the game.

Not great attributes for giving a game a large long-term following.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    The dude who made that video, along with some other person, got his account shutdown.

EDIT:
    Rizzi wrote:
    I've gotta ask.
    Why is there hardly anyone playing this online? It's only been out for a short time, and there's next to zero people playing online.
    Even Street Fighter 4 had a community nearly a year after it released. This.. Not so much.

I think the netcode really isn't all that great and I prefer playing offline anyway.

The game's going to have to go through a metric fuck ton of patches before the netcode is even a fraction as decent as AE's

And UMvC3 sold like crap. No surprise, considering they abandoned the original less than a year after it was released.

Plus, the game balance is still pretty awful and there's no news of Capcom even attempting to patch in even slight tweaks, so that means that the game is only really played often by people who hardcore love the game.

Pretty much. The game's learning curve being absolutely retarded doesn't help either. Why bang your head against Marvel when other recent fighting games are much easier to get into?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    I'd probably still be playing fairly often if A) more than one person I know ever felt like playing me and B) if the character balance had been a bit better, so you'd see a bit more variety in opponent teams. As it stands now I'm just playing SC5 and waiting for SFxT, even though I do like this game plenty.

• Options
    edited February 2012

EDIT:
    Rizzi wrote:
    I've gotta ask.

Ninja, every time you pop into this thread you're complaining about the "awful" balance of this game. I'll give you Wesker (even though I don't think he's broken, he's still easily one of the best) but other than that, I would say the balance is pretty good.

I will agree the learning curve is a bitch, but player skill disparity >>> character disparity.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Well yeah, I will back off and admit that most of what I mean about balance is Wesker, at least in terms of anybody being overpowered. Not the only problem, but certainly the most prominent. I don't use certain characters because they don't click for me, but he's the only one I actively dislike because his design is just so stupid.

It's still pretty inexcusable that there haven't been any gameplay patches whatsoever. And by that, I think that there are several characters that should get upgraded rather than downgrading some of the better ones (Wesker aside). I'd rather see the game get more crazy than less crazy.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Ninja, every time you pop into this thread you're complaining about the "awful" balance of this game. I'll give you Wesker (even though I don't think he's broken, he's still easily one of the best) but other than that, I would say the balance is pretty good.

I will agree the learning curve is a bitch, but player skill disparity >>> character disparity.

I still think that some characters have to work way harder than others in ways that don't make any sense. Thor and Spidey have awful hitboxes and surprisingly low mobility for a storm god who can fly and a character whose whole aesthetic is agility.

I'd also improve the quality of assists on some characters. Maybe make a few more of them OTGs, if for no other reason than to make Wesker less special.

Even despite those quibbles, the balance is leagues better than MvC2*.

*Does not apply to Thor.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, the number of character I'd balance down are a lot less than the ones I'd want better. I definitely don't want to see a lame-ass solution like knocking a couple hundred thousand off of Wesker's health; I'd want to see substantive things like giving him proper recovery times and scrapping that stupid glasses-off boost. I think Doom needs a bit of fixing too, but not a whole lot. And I'd want to see tweaks, not complete butchering of characters because Capcom is too lazy to make real fixes.

Otherwise, there's a ton of characters that should get upgrades. Viewtiful Joe, Spider-Man, Thor, MODOK, Hsien-Ko, Arthur, Rocket Raccoon, and Hulk should all get fixes. Real fixes, involving hitboxes, damage, and stun/damage scaling. And there's no good reason why Phoenix couldn't come back as a good character; buff regular Phoenix a bunch, then just make Dark Phoenix be a temporary regen period or something rather than a have a massive damage/speed boost. Phoenix is way more interesting style-wise anyway, but she just never gets used because something like half a combo takes her down. Probably other folks too, especially ones who got more or less neutered from MvC3 like She-Hulk did.

I mean, I just played a ton of ranked tonight and it's fun and varied... up until you start hitting 6th rank on up. Then almost every team carries Doom, Wesker, or bother. Just makes things boring.

EDIT: Oh, and Iron Fist definitely needs some fixing. Doom gets two high-priority air stomp attacks that he can easily combo from, two different attacks that can OTG (three if you count his L3 super), and two launchers, while Iron Fist's launcher works only if the enemy is on the ground. But it doesn't OTG, though! Nope, you have to get help for that.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Wolf is rocking the FUCK out of those sideburns

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, the number of character I'd balance down are a lot less than the ones I'd want better. I definitely don't want to see a lame-ass solution like knocking a couple hundred thousand off of Wesker's health; I'd want to see substantive things like giving him proper recovery times and scrapping that stupid glasses-off boost. I think Doom needs a bit of fixing too, but not a whole lot. And I'd want to see tweaks, not complete butchering of characters because Capcom is too lazy to make real fixes.

Otherwise, there's a ton of characters that should get upgrades. Viewtiful Joe, Spider-Man, Thor, MODOK, Hsien-Ko, Arthur, Rocket Raccoon, and Hulk should all get fixes. Real fixes, involving hitboxes, damage, and stun/damage scaling. And there's no good reason why Phoenix couldn't come back as a good character; buff regular Phoenix a bunch, then just make Dark Phoenix be a temporary regen period or something rather than a have a massive damage/speed boost. Phoenix is way more interesting style-wise anyway, but she just never gets used because something like half a combo takes her down. Probably other folks too, especially ones who got more or less neutered from MvC3 like She-Hulk did.

I mean, I just played a ton of ranked tonight and it's fun and varied... up until you start hitting 6th rank on up. Then almost every team carries Doom, Wesker, or bother. Just makes things boring.

EDIT: Oh, and Iron Fist definitely needs some fixing. Doom gets two high-priority air stomp attacks that he can easily combo from, two different attacks that can OTG (three if you count his L3 super), and two launchers, while Iron Fist's launcher works only if the enemy is on the ground. But it doesn't OTG, though! Nope, you have to get help for that.

Capcom
    Not Being Retarded
    Fighting Games

Pick two.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I honestly think most of the top characters are fine. Though Doom having forever and a day to hit confirm is somewhat goofy.

Just that the low-tier characters are really bad.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Dragkonias wrote:
    I honestly think most of the top characters are fine. Though Doom having forever and a day to hit confirm is somewhat goofy.

Just that the low-tier characters are really bad.
    Yeah, I'm not sure why they made an already high tier character even better. Some of the changes in Ultimate HAD to have been cooked up while under the influence of various drugs.

My patience with Marvel pretty much came to an end in all honesty.
    EDIT: LOL NVM SFxT looks just as incompetently designed as Marvel. Disregard what I said earlier.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Chris G Second place finishes at majors are THE BEST.

Hype top 16 though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Chris G...forever butthurt.

• Options
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Capcom
    Not Being Retarded
    Fighting Games

Pick two.

All too true.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Usually I'll be rooting against Justin Wong because I enjoy seeing the underdog win, but Chris G's latest team made me root for Wong instead.

It was pretty cool to see Wong get beat pretty handily in WF only to come back and win convincingly. Some really great moments there with Storm, and that Akuma divekick through the gap in the top of Doom's finger laser super.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Grand finals was pretty amazing. That Morrigan game was lame and annoying, and I'm glad Justin found a way through it.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    I will say the most disappointing thing for me was all the droppage. Both MarlinPie and that other guy had JWong beat then they started dropping everything.

That being said I don't think either of them would have been able to beat Chris G. MarlinPie maybe but even then I wasn't so sure.

• Options
    MarlinPie beat ChrisG at The Curleh Mustache 2 in Grand Finals (if I recall correctly) while ChrisG was using that team, so it's feasible.

But yeah, TA Predator (or whatever his name was) had Wong beat but dropped his Wesker combo off an air throw which could have gone into his level 3 for the win. There seemed to be a LOT of dropped combos in Top 16.

DJ Huoshen vs. Smoothviper was hype as hell too. Absolutely down to the wire.

• Options
    Yeah. He did beat him but he was pretty on that night. Wasn't sure how well he could repeat his success.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I dunno what's so wrong with projectile zoning. That shit is harder than it looks but since it's uncommon in Marvel everyone seems to get butthurt about it. Maybe since it's not hype to watch people get mad?

What was Chris G's team?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Morrigan/Doom/Akuma.

There's nothing "wrong" with it and I can't fault ChrisG for using it if it gets him results. It's just so much more fun to watch his Ryu team and in a game that's all about flash and fancy combos, it's just boring. I think that's the only reason people don't like it.

It does really bug me that Morrigan gains meter while in astral vision though when everyone else with a "power up" move seems to not. It almost makes it sustainable in itself. It also seems like you have to tailor your team around beating that team specifically in order to beat him rather than to just have a consistent, go-to team which is the norm for this game.

Or just be Justin Wong. You can win that way too.

I also just secretly wish ChrisG would go back to playing Firebrand, but I realize that's a pipedream at this point.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Akuma huh? Not what I was expecting. What assist does he run? Tatsu?

Firebrand is like |--| that close to being fuckawesome. His damage blows and he's meter deficient. Fix either one of those (preferably the meter) and he'll be top tier.

Edit: Firebrand/Dormammu/Morrigan????

Ewwwwewwewwwwwwww This might need to be a thing that happens.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I really don't mind Chris G's team.

Zoning is so hard to setup in MvC3 compared to "Just run in people's faces and beat the shit out of them" that actually seeing a team that is good at naturally zoning is pretty nice.

I mean you can argue that pretty much every good team does some bit of zoning, but usually they're only zoning you so they can get in your face and beat your shit in.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I just think it's funny that the same people shitting fire over a zoning team are the same assholes who won't hesitate to abuse beam crossups online and whore lvl 3 Wesker.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, tatsu assist. I think he had Akuma as anchor.

I dunno, I never really found myself lacking meter that much with Firebrand. Well, maybe not until recently. I started using Strider as anchor and with his vajra assist I can do two dark flames in one combo, but even then it's very rare that I get to the end of a combo and not have the meter to do at least one dark flame.

And that's with Dormammu on point, Firebrand second, and Dorm is kind of a meter hog himself.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

EDIT: I played in a small round robin tournament over the weekend and it's just seriously driven me to be better. I've played way too much in the last few days and I'm just in love with my team, which is a serious first for this game. I just need to get my Strider a little more on par with Dormammu and Firebrand, but the synergy of these guys is great.

Dormammu's alternate costume looks really silly but when I played against a guy who was using it, it looked like his teleport animation was different. I thought that was an interesting touch.

Eventhubs just started something interesting. They have a list of active fighting game streams that updates every 2 minutes. It's still in beta but I like where this is going: http://www.eventhubs.com/streams/

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    My guess is some troll was just fucking around with Pavy, seeing as he's back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMMkXYPExLo

Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • Options
  • Options
    Wow, Zak Bennett is easily my new favorite Marvel player. Awesome Firebrand and Dormammu.

• Options
    ICEFIR3ICEFIR3 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I used to think I was good at fighting games... until I saw what u crazy bastards can do!

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    That's some pretty hot stuff with Cap. I had no idea that he could OTG with his air Shield Slash.

Cap is turning out to be surprisingly good for me. He can't really do some of the crazy crossup bullshit teleporting characters have, but nobody ever seems to remember that Cap's Charging Star attacks go right through projectiles. People going for XF3 Hawkeye seem especially vulnerable to this; they hit that XF3, start spamming projectiles, and the Cap just burns right across the screen and finishes them off with an XF-canceled combo. Get Wesker players with it all the time, too; a heavy Charging Star goes right through that standing pistol shot to set Cap up for an easy hyper Charging Star. His projectile properties and double jump also seem to screw with people like crazy. I love hopping over Doom hand lasers or snagging people into combos from the Shield Slash rebounds.

Makes for a really, really solid middle character, especially against people who rely too much on spamming projectiles. Completely awesome to dash through projectile spam and cancel into Hyper Charging Star while Doom missile spam harmlessly rains down on you.

• Options
    I wish you could cancel Cap's shield throw.

Basically. Like if it when it hits your opponent, you could press 'S' to make it instantly reflect back to cap.

That being said, yeah...he's pretty solid.

• Options
    Yep cap is good fun. I like him if for nothing more than always being a threat to anyone spamming assists.

Also.. Masta CJ moved to FL! Should make tournaments more interesting. I wonder if he'll unseat Flocker as best Marvel player in FL....

Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    What's that, Vergil/Dante/Wesker player trying to cheese it up with bullshit teleporting? Please stop beating you with a steel pipe?

I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time hearing you over all the steel pipe in your mouth.

In related news, loving the hell out of my Haggar/Cap/Dormmamu team. Run across somebody spamming Doom missile assists while hanging back and have a couple of bars handy? Having trouble with loads of beam spam + Hawkeye spam? Looks like we get to have some fun zipping right through projectiles and murdering the hell out of the Doom or Hawkeye that person was hoping to use for a crutch at XF3. And even if you just trade a couple missile hits so Haggar can Pipe Doom, Doom starts feeling that really really fast.

Really getting a warm, fuzzy feeling for Cap. I have no idea how often people forget that Cap's shield comes back, thus leaving me awesome opportunities for Cap combos. Just wish Cap got some startup invincibility for his Hyper Charging Star, at least against projectiles.

EDIT: Also, whine bitch moan Wesker Doom etc etc.

Ninja Snarl P on