As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shelf life of Cereal!

RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok so the Stores around here have started selling Apple Jacks
Which previously were not available in Canada
Now I am not willing to miss my chance here as they are listed as Limited Time only
so if i find out that they are being taken away again I am going to buy boxes upon boxes of Apple Jacks
If they are kept sealed and hidden away are they going to stay good or is the sealing of Cereal in Boxes an unexact science

RubberAC on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Pretty much sugar suspended in some grain, so animals and moisture are really the only problems. It won't 'go bad'.

Keep them locked away from humidity and insects/rodents and it will be fine. Also eat a balanced breakfast.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    A good conservative estimate, is as long as they're opened by the "use by" date they're good for about a month or so after they're opened. Any longer than a month they start to go a bit stale.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Even then, you're not looking at any harmful effects by eating old cereal. It just won't taste as good.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    how easy is it for silverfish etc to infiltrate my apple jacks
    this is good advice thank you people

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    RubberAC wrote:

An unopened box? They're not going to infiltrate anything.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    You could always put the applejacks in a sealed plastic container.
    Esh wrote:
    RubberAC wrote:

I dunno what a silverfish is exactly, because we don't get those here, but in MN I have found weevils in closed boxes of pasta before. It was about 2 years old though, definitely way past the expiration date.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote:
    You could always put the applejacks in a sealed plastic container.
    Esh wrote:
    RubberAC wrote:

I dunno what a silverfish is exactly, because we don't get those here, but in MN I have found weevils in closed boxes of pasta before. It was about 2 years old though, definitely way past the expiration date.

Yeah, but the cereal will be encased in a plastic wrap as well as being stored in the box. Maybe they can chew through that too?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    Yeah, but the cereal will be encased in a plastic wrap as well as being stored in the box. Maybe they can chew through that too?

They can. I know an entomologist who has a habit of finding REALLY old bags of cereal, then dumping them out to see what interesting critters got into it.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    Esh wrote:

They can. I know an entomologist who has a habit of finding REALLY old bags of cereal, then dumping them out to see what interesting critters got into it.

I guess the question is, how long is the OP planning on keeping these boxes around for and how is he storing them?

• Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Phoenix-D wrote:
    Esh wrote:

A plastic container of some sort should solve that though. They make some for storing rice that are decent sized, although not terribly practical if they're only getting the one use before you run out of need for them.

edit: as far as finding the cheap option, if you're willing to just play a numbers game you can get a whole lot of Apple Jacks and just toss the ones that end up going bad. Takes up a bunch of space and money though.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Syrdon wrote:
    A plastic container of some sort should solve that though.

tumblr_lj9zbxc96w1qc0800o1_500.gif

So use a plastic container. Your cereal will be the freshest.

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    Hewn wrote:
    Syrdon wrote:
    A plastic container of some sort should solve that though.

tumblr_lj9zbxc96w1qc0800o1_500.gif

So use a plastic container. Your cereal will be the freshest.

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

They'll stay fresh for a decent amount of time unopened, but ultimately some sort of big plastic container is probably your best bet. I bought Cupcake Pebbles when I found them in stores after lusting after them online for months, and they lasted long enough, but I only had three boxes or so.