As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLEFIELD 3] Be advised

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:
    Anyone playing the beta on a GTX 200 series? I'm wondering if my 280 will handle it, or if it's worth it to start looking at a newer DX11 card.
    I am, but I'm so massively CPU bound that I really can't comment on how well it will. I doubt it'll be able to handle above medium though

Hmm, guess I should start perusing newegg again then. I always hate diving back into the video card market if I haven't been keeping tabs on things for awhile.

You really should get a new card. I just upgraded from 2x GTx 280's in SLI and they would be on the verge of overheating after playing for more than 30 min which resulted in artifacts, and it was even worse with only one card enabled.

I just upgraded to the GTX 560 Ti, and I highly recommend it so far.

I did hear of a lot of people with 560Ti's getting weird artifact problems on Caspian. I had some issues until I tweaked some settings.

I hear for some versions of the GTX560 if it comes factory overclocked and to return it to default settings most of the issues go away.

• Options
    So for those of you that load Caspian in like 3 seconds what kind of systems are you running? Where is your OS and game installed?

I have -

i7 950 stock
    6GB DDR3 1600
    EVGA GTX 470
    OS is on 500g WD SATA drive & game is by itself (only thing on it) on a WD 1TB drive

What must I do for faster loading? I will buy all the memory for this to load faster. I just bought a Crucial M4 SSD to see if that helps.

• Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    Finally tried plugging in my 360 pad for jet control.

Feels absolutely perfect. Think I stayed in the air for the longest I ever have and I'm not much of a pilot. Only thing is Klyka and I couldn't figure out the afterburner button.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited October 2011

Feels absolutely perfect. Think I stayed in the air for the longest I ever have and I'm not much of a pilot. Only thing is Klyka and I couldn't figure out the afterburner button.

Try clicking the thumbsticks, mainly the left one.

iRevert on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:
    Anyone playing the beta on a GTX 200 series? I'm wondering if my 280 will handle it, or if it's worth it to start looking at a newer DX11 card.
    I am, but I'm so massively CPU bound that I really can't comment on how well it will. I doubt it'll be able to handle above medium though

Hmm, guess I should start perusing newegg again then. I always hate diving back into the video card market if I haven't been keeping tabs on things for awhile.

You really should get a new card. I just upgraded from 2x GTx 280's in SLI and they would be on the verge of overheating after playing for more than 30 min which resulted in artifacts, and it was even worse with only one card enabled.

I did hear of a lot of people with 560Ti's getting weird artifact problems on Caspian. I had some issues until I tweaked some settings.

I hear for some versions of the GTX560 if it comes factory overclocked and to return it to default settings most of the issues go away.

My cards are both overclocked and I've yet to have any issues, but that may be due to the fact that I have two cards.

For what it's worth, I didn't have any issues for the few days that I had them installed without an SLI bridge either. Maybe it's an issue that only affects cards from certain manufacturers.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    So for those of you that load Caspian in like 3 seconds what kind of systems are you running? Where is your OS and game installed?

I have -

i7 950 stock
    6GB DDR3 1600
    EVGA GTX 470
    OS is on 500g WD SATA drive & game is by itself (only thing on it) on a WD 1TB drive

What must I do for faster loading? I will buy all the memory for this to load faster. I just bought a Crucial M4 SSD to see if that helps.

It takes me less than 5 seconds to load Caspian

I have:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.8ghz
    8 GB DDR3 1600mhz
    2x EVGA 560 Ti in SLI
    OS is on a 128 GB SSD (capable of SATA III, but on a mobo that only supports SATA II), game is on a 750 GB 7200 RPM SATA II Drive

Edit: More RAM would probably help.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    LeevityLeevity Registered User regular
    You can use the xbox controller for the vehicles? That's awesome. Maybe that'll make me less horrible at them.

XBL/PSN/Steam: Leevity
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    iRevert wrote:

Wait, what? I thought the game had no native Xbox 360 gamepad support. Are you using an Xpadder profile?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:

I have -

i7 950 stock
    6GB DDR3 1600
    EVGA GTX 470

It takes me less than 5 seconds to load Caspian

I have:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.8ghz
    8 GB DDR3 1600mhz
    2x EVGA 560 Ti in SLI
    OS is on a 128 GB SSD (capable of SATA III, but on a mobo that only supports SATA II), game is on a 750 GB 7200 RPM SATA II Drive

Edit: More RAM would probably help.

like 5-7 secs
    i7 m820
    4gb ram
    regular lappy drive
    Ati 5870

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:
    iRevert wrote:

Wait, what? I thought the game had no native Xbox 360 gamepad support. Are you using an Xpadder profile?

No, why?

Just plug in the 360 controller and it works instantly.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    My computer can barely actually play caspian, but I can usually load fast enough to at least have a chance at spawning in the jets. Weird.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited October 2011

i think afterburner is mapped to the same button as accelerate. So holding down the right trigger all the way makes you go full blast

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options

i think afterburner is mapped to the same button as accelerate. So holding down the right trigger makes you go full blast

yeah, it is, I realized that after a minute or so.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Klyka wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    iRevert wrote:

No, why?

Just plug in the 360 controller and it works instantly.

<3

DICE said they had no plans for gamepad support, so I never tried using one.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    If your card is overheating make sure you aren't just letting it automatically choose the fan speed, instead install a program like MSI Afterburner to monitor your GPU temp and manually set the fan speed to 85-95% or higher before loading up BF3 and your temps should go down dramatically.

• Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    Qg9t9.jpg
    aAfae.jpg
    But no, yours is... yours is good...

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote:
    Strafing doesn't work very good. Choppers and jets have very very little splash damage, so you have to hit troops dead on to be anything effective. Might be fixed, I dunno.

Last night I was being chased by a chopper, he hit 4 missiles right next to me, no less than a foot away from me. Sure, my vision got all blurry and stuff, but I still had 100% health. It felt dumb really.
    It's to stop chopper pilots raping infantry. Those are anti-armor rockets you're firing, let your gunner take out infantry. That's what he's there for.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote:
    My favorite new thing yields almost no points but is up there among my favs.

TOG is moving on the hilltop alone. But Mojo is shouting out directions, and spotting enemy locations to him. Guided him through 2 on 1 encounters. Guided him to snipers. He goes 1 man army with my help, Kills like 4 takes the point alone. No scratches.

"Where the fuck are you? Did they get you?"
    Me- "Im in the mav above you. Im laying in some bushes 3 points over."

If my mans know exactly where your bad guy mans are- You will die hard. I love the small things in this game.

that sounds so amazing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Plant C4 on tank choke points near Russian base using infinite ammo supplies, 0 dollars. Kill 7 tanks/2 cars full of people and lock down their entire ability to do shit, 0 dollars. Having the most kills and least deaths while leading your team in points, priceless. There's some things bullets can't do, for everything else there's C4.

It works because people are too lazy to look out for traps as they leave spawn and naturally drive right in the middle of the roads, even if its faster to just skip through a field.

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Trying to change keybindings in this game is stupid. If it is already bound and I click yes to bind anyway UNBIND THAT KEY FROM WHAT IT WAS BOUND TO BEFORE OR AT LEAST GIVE ME THE OPTION. Having to go hunt down where said button/key was bound to previously to have to bind it to something else is stupid. Also, there needs to be a unbind button or way to leave a binding blank.
    I know it's 'beta dude' but I'm going to rant anyway

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Holy bejesus this game is murder on my graphics card. Running temps of 85-90c on the 560 Ti.

No me gusta.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    My GTX470 is supposed to run at 80c under load. I would look up your normal operating temp of yours.

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Dac wrote:
    Holy bejesus this game is murder on my graphics card. Running temps of 85-90c on the 560 Ti.

No me gusta.

My friend has that exact card and never gets anywhere near that high, even playing Metro 2033. You might want to be sure you've got adequate ventilation.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    TheExAm wrote:
    Satsumomo wrote:
    Strafing doesn't work very good. Choppers and jets have very very little splash damage, so you have to hit troops dead on to be anything effective. Might be fixed, I dunno.

Last night I was being chased by a chopper, he hit 4 missiles right next to me, no less than a foot away from me. Sure, my vision got all blurry and stuff, but I still had 100% health. It felt dumb really.
    It's to stop chopper pilots raping infantry. Those are anti-armor rockets you're firing, let your gunner take out infantry. That's what he's there for.

The sad part is that the gunner's cannon is just as ineffective at killing infantry. Chopper is pretty much only for killing armored vehicles.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    TheExAm wrote:
    Dac wrote:

No me gusta.

My friend has that exact card and never gets anywhere near that high, even playing Metro 2033. You might want to be sure you've got adequate ventilation.

Mine never go any higher than 70C. Which case do you have, and have you tried turning up all of the fans to max?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote:
    TheExAm wrote:
    Satsumomo wrote:

The sad part is that the gunner's cannon is just as ineffective at killing infantry. Chopper is pretty much only for killing armored vehicles.

I killed like 30 dudes in my last match as the gunner, I have no idea why you are having trouble shooting dudes.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Actually you're right, that last match I had horrible rubber-banding and it could be the reason. I was getting hit markers but they'd never dieeeeeee!

• Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    Sladvan wrote:
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    Qg9t9.jpg
    aAfae.jpg
    But no, yours is... yours is good...
    Reminds me of the propaganda posters people made for BF1942.

cJhS7.jpg

Nearly a decade later, they're still relevant.

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    I love spawning at the start of the round and watching all the idiots using the jeeps to drive to the airfield as quickly as possible.

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Spent an entire game in a tank's gunner seat shooting jets out of the sky. Whee.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    Satsumomo wrote:
    TheExAm wrote:
    Satsumomo wrote:

I killed like 30 dudes in my last match as the gunner, I have no idea why you are having trouble shooting dudes.
    I've found that gunning the chopper is horribly lag dependent. Have a good day with the lag, you'll be the unholy terror in the sky. Have a bad day and you'll apply a lot of vaseline to peoples' screens.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:
    TheExAm wrote:
    Dac wrote:

No me gusta.

Mine never go any higher than 70C. Which case do you have, and have you tried turning up all of the fans to max?

Turned out I was just dumb. I had locked my fan speed at just-below-noisy because no games up till now have broken 70c on the card.

Turned off the lock and allowed fan speed scaling and I topped out at 72c. Got better framerates too, it seemed.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Taranis wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:

That's actually really helpful to hear. The GTX 560 Ti was one of the ones I've been eyeballing, though I don't have the dough (or cooling) to run an SLI setup just yet. How does it run with only one enabled?

Edit: Also, which particular flavor of 560 are you using? I've always liked EVGA, but I can't for the life of me figure out the difference between this and this.
    My game runs fine on my 8800 GTX without spending a few hundred dollars on a new card so I would at least wait until it comes out before upgrading.

Eh, I'm not buying it just for Battlefield; it's just the excuse I need to pull the trigger.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    rndmhero wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:

That's actually really helpful to hear. The GTX 560 Ti was one of the ones I've been eyeballing, though I don't have the dough (or cooling) to run an SLI setup just yet. How does it run with only one enabled?

Edit: Also, which particular flavor of 560 are you using? I've always liked EVGA, but I can't for the life of me figure out the difference between this and this.

I get about 40-70 fps with one card on high.

I actually have the first card, and as far as I can tell the amount of fans is the only difference

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    rndmhero wrote:

I get about 40-70 fps with one card on high.

I actually have the first card, and as far as I can tell the amount of fans is the only difference

That looks like that is it. Two side fans instead of one - newer model based on the number.

• Options
    Any word on if Platoon sizes will be changed come launch? I saw that the thread that That_Guy made got locked for some reason.

• Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I fucking hate that there's no "world" map. I have no idea where I am or where I'm going most of the time.

Mandres on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular

I have -

i7 950 stock
    6GB DDR3 1600
    EVGA GTX 470

I load it in like 2 seconds, but I have a shit ton of RAM, shit ton of CPUs, and I'm loading from a SSD. Despite all that, I wish I had a better graphics card because I still only get middling frame rates.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    rndmhero wrote:
    My game runs fine on my 8800 GTX without spending a few hundred dollars on a new card so I would at least wait until it comes out before upgrading.

Eh, I'm not buying it just for Battlefield; it's just the excuse I need to pull the trigger.
    You can probably count on one hand the number of games that would really be able to use the extra power between the 280 and 560

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    If friendly fire was on I would spawn into a jet at the start of a round, do a loop, then crash it into all the people who came to camp the airfield.

This discussion has been closed.