Options

[BATTLEFIELD 3] Be advised

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    JebusUD wrote:
    TheExAm wrote:
    Holy shit, this guy flies like me! Maybe better, even. I've got some one-upping to do.

*snip*

Damn Helo's fly fast in this.

edit: how does that guy maintaing a firing position without diving into the ground and flying so low?
    Reduce throttle, come in at a lower angle. Not smart if the tank knows where you are, because he can easily plant a shell in your cockpit.
    Spoit wrote:
    I don't know, I think you fly a bit faster
    Nah, he's definitely getting about as much speed out of it as I do. More in some places. Leaves me wondering if holding shift has an effect.

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    I realize this is old but:
    Beltaine wrote:
    Here's what Beta did on my i7, 6gb, with a pair of 5870s

1920x1080 Ultra
    Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    7557, 120000, 41, 86, 62.975
    bf32011-09-2917-45-07-36.jpg

1920x1080 High
    12302, 120000, 68, 172, 102.517
    bf32011-09-2918-16-45-92.jpg

1920x1080 Medium
    14166, 120000, 74, 201, 118.050
    bf32011-09-2918-24-40-26.jpg

I honestly couldn't see much of a difference between the three except I go some hiccups on Ultra.

So this isn't really the best shot to use for comparison here (from what I've read) because one of the major things that Ultra does is add a 4x MSAA pass that (supposedly) does amazing things to those wrought-iron fences (and chain-link ones etc). I'll see if I can dig up the comparison writeup I saw the other day and link it. Supposedly that's the main thing that was disabled in the beta, the other being some shadow stuff. As I said, though, DICE hasn't been all that up-front about exactly what Ultra adds to the mix, and my impression is that this is because they are still working on pushing the engine as far as it'll go for people with $1000+ video card setups.

That said, I'm simply amazed at this game. I run BC2 on high and for the most part the beta looked better running on low and got better framerates, with a couple of exceptions (shadows, obviously). It played amazingly well and I'm on a HD4890 for chrissakes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I just realized I haven't added anyone on Origin, and should probably do that.

My Origin ID is Captain_Thule

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Frei wrote:
    I just realized I haven't added anyone on Origin, and should probably do that.

My Origin ID is Captain_Thule

It's more important to have people on Battlelog. I won't even be online in Origin.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    I'm running a 4890 as well, and it seems like this will be the first game I don't play on the highest settings. For single player games I've tolerated 30fps, but I'd rather play this at 60 online.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I just realized I haven't added anyone on Battlelog, and should probably do that.

My Battlelog ID is Captain_Thule

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    TheExAm wrote:
    JebusUD wrote:
    TheExAm wrote:
    Holy shit, this guy flies like me! Maybe better, even. I've got some one-upping to do.

*snip*

edit: how does that guy maintaing a firing position without diving into the ground and flying so low?
    Reduce throttle, come in at a lower angle. Not smart if the tank knows where you are, because he can easily plant a shell in your cockpit.
    Spoit wrote:
    Nah, he's definitely getting about as much speed out of it as I do. More in some places. Leaves me wondering if holding shift has an effect.

It might just seem that he is flying faster than in BC2 because of how low he is going. Kind of like driving a low car. Try driving a corvette after driving in a big truck and you will see. Corvette feels like you are going about 1000 mph even only going 30 down the road.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    JebusUD wrote:
    TheExAm wrote:
    JebusUD wrote:
    TheExAm wrote:

*snip*

Spoit wrote:

It might just seem that he is flying faster than in BC2 because of how low he is going. Kind of like driving a low car. Try driving a corvette after driving in a big truck and you will see. Corvette feels like you are going about 1000 mph even only going 30 down the road.

His altimeter says he's about 5-15 (feet?) off the ground when he's going over the hills.

I can just imagine the computer yelling out of fear "OH GOD THIS IDIOT IS SUICIDALLLLLL" as they fly around murdering shit.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I really want to learn how to fly the helicopter once the game comes out.

Apologies to anyone who gets in with me.

Though actually there will probably be a singleplayer objective that involves flying the helicopter so maybe I can screw around with that.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I really hope there is a way to try out helicopters and jets in a safe environment.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Flyin the helo is a lot easier than people say it is. Just having a support gunner makes it a hundred times easier.

Still though, the blackhawk in BF2 was the silliest thing ever. Being able to repair it in flight was the worst decision ever.

EDIT: Any server I am on is not a safe environment for helos. I make it my mission to shoot down "1337p1l0t5"

wakkawa on
  • Options
    I will only be satisfied when I can fly the helicopter like in the video.

Also I want to do loop de loops.

• Options
    I don't want to be a crazy pilot who wants to fly all the time. I just want to be able to jump into a jet/helo and properly use it.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    I'm going back to 1942 style dive bombing.

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote:
    EDIT: Any server I am on is not a safe environment for helos. I make it my mission to shoot down "1337p1l0t5"
    I wouldn't worry too much, most of the time you won't have to bother...

World's best janitor
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    How do you even begin to fly like that? Joystick?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote:

He says he uses KBAM.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    Lord Yod wrote:
    Ultra wasn't enabled in the beta.

If you enable the actual "Ultra" setting, you are actually looking through the eyes of a real US Army soldier, giving him commands on where and what to do.
    Controlled via a rat tugging on his hair.. but then he dies from a bullet wound to the head for not wearing a helmet.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    pabh wrote:
    official origin name changer thing
    http://www.origin.com/us/change-id

Nice
    "Turambar" was taken, but at least I could change from "turamb" to "Turamb"

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    OtsegoOtsego Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote:
    One of my best memories of 1942 was finally getting good at using the torpedo bomber.

Also not related to BF3 but which 1942 map was the one that took place entirely on an aircraft carrier?

mastersword.jpg
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    KBAM master race

• Options
    Otsego wrote:
    JebusUD wrote:
    One of my best memories of 1942 was finally getting good at using the torpedo bomber.

Also not related to BF3 but which 1942 map was the one that took place entirely on an aircraft carrier?

Coral Sea.

Torpedo bomber against sea targets? or against land targets. Because land targets were the funniest.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote:

He says he uses KBAM.
    Man, I wish I could have flown uninverted with the choppers in the beta. For some reason, while I can fly (and prefer) using inverted joysticks for jets, I can't get used to it with choppers. And inverted mouse movement for choppers just feels wrong.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    CarbonFire wrote:
    MagicPrime wrote:

He says he uses KBAM.
    Man, I wish I could have flown uninverted with the choppers in the beta. For some reason, while I can fly (and prefer) using inverted joysticks for jets, I can't get used to it with choppers. And inverted mouse movement for choppers just feels wrong.

I play inverted on infantry and jets. Choppers need normal though. I think it has to do with how I conceptualize chopper movement.

• Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    Move mouse forward to move forward

simple

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Did this using an obviously stolen screenshot and paint. I think its pretty funny. All in jest. Spread it around! :P
    WYCN.jpg

Hype.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    In CoD, you do a HALO jump during a campaign mission.
    In BF3, you do a HALO jump every time you respawn.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    technicaltechnical Registered User regular
    So fucking hyped.

3DS FC: 3050-8986-0512

PSN: technical_ta
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Why am I actually excited to download a game I can't even play until the 25th?

Hype.

• Options
    There is probably little chance of there being ground vehicles on the cliff above the enemy base but if there was oh God damn that would be amazing and I would drive them over the side and fire the guns at whatever I can see moving.

• Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Klyka wrote:

You mean like Section 8?
    From that screenshot, it seems like you can't actually fire your weapons while free falling. (unless you're in a tank i guess)

rRootagea on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    rRootagea wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

You mean like Section 8?
    From that screenshot, it seems like you can't actually fire your weapons while free falling. (unless you're in a tank i guess)

You couldn't in the beta, so you're probably right.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote:

He says he uses KBAM.

KBAM for helos was the best control of any BF game ever. I really just want my joystick to work for jets because the mouse sucks for them.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    rRootagea wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

You mean like Section 8?

I was about to say this. Section 8 Prejudice - so underrated.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote:

He says he uses KBAM.

KBAM for helos was the best control of any BF game ever. I really just want my joystick to work for jets because the mouse sucks for them.

Man I reinstalled BF2 to jump into some Helo practice and good lord its touchy. After struggling to just do a lap around a map at slow speeds, the shit that guy in the vid was pulling off is insane.

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Just ordered a 6950 2gb rushed from Newegg to replace my fried 4890. Crossin my fingers in hopes that it gets here Monday!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    I hadn't played BC2 on XBL all summer but after playing the BF3 beta closed figured I'd play it a bit before my bc2 copy forever gathers dust.
    Jesus what a shitfest it is now. Odds are it will place you in a game where it is heavily stacked with level 50 players/clans against a few random people who quickly disconnect once they realize this. So l play anyways. If theres a helicopter on the map, one of these fuckers WILL be in it and almost impossible to hit.

Plus the opposing team seems able to spawn camp now on some Conquest maps? Was it always that way?

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Lord Yod wrote:
    Just ordered a 6950 2gb rushed from Newegg to replace my fried 4890. Crossin my fingers in hopes that it gets here Monday!

I have the same card, ran BF3 on all high with decent AA at 40-60 FPS at 1080p

:^:

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
This discussion has been closed.