Options

Homeland[sho] - She's not crazy, simply in love!

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    On the topic of the wedding ring gambit, I wish we had a little more character development on her relationships with men generally because I kind of feel like there needs to be more of a story there, right? Like this one person whom I am convinced is a liar and a traitor is the only person with whom I feel emotional intimacy?

Something something something dads a skitzo bipolar as well.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    She dated Estes for a while, too. So maybe that played into it, too. Not many would question the boss's girlfriend. And she was/is Saul's apprentice and he seems to be pretty well respected in the organization.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    On the topic of the wedding ring gambit, I wish we had a little more character development on her relationships with men generally because I kind of feel like there needs to be more of a story there, right? Like this one person whom I am convinced is a liar and a traitor is the only person with whom I feel emotional intimacy?

She's crazy.

Like, this has never not made sense to me. She's good at her job because she's exactly crazy enough to more or less believe the lie when she's telling it, but be able to discard it later with ease.

She's not, like, I think my mom is a manatee and my dad is a '67 Chevy crazy, though. She's manic depressive, not schizophrenic.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Her actions are starting to suggest that maybe she was misdiagnosed a smidge, though.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Her actions are starting to suggest that maybe she was misdiagnosed a smidge, though.

Or that there's a more interesting story hiding back there, which is what I'd much rather believe. As Invisible reminds us, prior to having unprotected sex in the back of her car with a terrorist whom she knew to be a lousy lay, she made the poor decision of banging her married boss. Between these two events, she goes around pretending that she's cheating on a non-existent husband. That's interesting. I hope they have an equally interesting explanation other than, "we're going to move the goal posts on how our protagonist is fruit loops."

SammyF on
  • Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular

Daddy issues, yo. ;)

And re: CIA hiring crazies, I think you'd have to be a bit crazy to WANT to be in the CIA, and most likely a psychopath to really get deep/get to the top of the food chain.. Kinda like how to run for president, you need to be a bit of an ego maniac.. Certain vocations attract certain types.

• Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Dammit, EMP beat me to the punch again.. I'll leave it regardless, but I do think that your average CIA employee is probably a little more batshit than your average Safeway cashier.. Extremes to be extreme.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »

Daddy issues, yo. ;)

And re: CIA hiring crazies, I think you'd have to be a bit crazy to WANT to be in the CIA, and most likely a psychopath to really get deep/get to the top of the food chain.. Kinda like how to run for president, you need to be a bit of an ego maniac.. Certain vocations attract certain types.

And she is, in fact, really good at her job. Even when she was having a manic episode at the end of the last season, she was right.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    abu nazir
    is in the box

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Well, this episode was the first so far this season that felt like they were just spinning their wheels.
    No progress was made on the Nazir plot.

The Carrie/Brody relationship was at its usual SNAFU point ("I am into you but seriously, fuck off").

Mike's investigation hasn't progressed, but I'm not confidant that Carrie's warning is going to be sufficient to get him off the scent.

Something ALMOST happened in the hit & run, but then didn't (and the daughter was about as disgusted as I was about this fact).

About the only thing of significance that happened is that Terror Wife from the first season died somehow (I'm not clear on how she managed that, either. Did Saul leave her with a knife?).

That said, given the motherfuckton of things that have happened so far, they were due for a "regroup" episode.

Oh, one more thing (/Uncle):
    Agent Galvez is alive, but dying. Possible revelations that he's the mole may be incoming.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    she broke her glasses and used them

• Options

Ah, I see now. Missed that.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Ah, I see now. Missed that.

they were Saul's reading glasses yeah

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    I fucking swear several episodes ago I didn't even suspect the thread topic will be so spot on!

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular

She's crazy.

Like, this has never not made sense to me. She's good at her job because she's exactly crazy enough to more or less believe the lie when she's telling it, but be able to discard it later with ease.

She's not, like, I think my mom is a manatee and my dad is a '67 Chevy crazy, though. She's manic depressive, not schizophrenic.

bipolar individuals can have psychotic breaks as well

• Options
    Well, this episode was the first so far this season that felt like they were just spinning their wheels.
    No progress was made on the Nazir plot.

The Carrie/Brody relationship was at its usual SNAFU point ("I am into you but seriously, fuck off").

Mike's investigation hasn't progressed, but I'm not confidant that Carrie's warning is going to be sufficient to get him off the scent.

Something ALMOST happened in the hit & run, but then didn't (and the daughter was about as disgusted as I was about this fact).

About the only thing of significance that happened is that Terror Wife from the first season died somehow (I'm not clear on how she managed that, either. Did Saul leave her with a knife?).

That said, given the motherfuckton of things that have happened so far, they were due for a "regroup" episode.

Oh, one more thing (/Uncle):
    Agent Galvez is alive, but dying. Possible revelations that he's the mole may be incoming.

Eh, I didnt think the episode was that bad
    it resolved a lot of things I was curious about and really its kind of nice that they didnt make any progress on the Nazir plot.

• Options
    I know we've thoroughly debated all the reasons why we think Saul can't be a mole before, and I agree with all issues raised, but if it wasn't an idea I'd rejected out of hand already, I'd be wondering how many terrorists have to slit their wrists after Saul interrogates them before someone wonders if maybe interrogation isn't quite his thing.

• Options
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I don't think he is, not yet, but it was a strange coincidence.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Where the hell is Brody getting the idea he gets to be not OK with anything? "No shit it's not OK! Maybe you should have thought of that before turning traitor! You have no one to blame but yourself now shut the fuck up and get back in the car!"

Every time he flares up all indignant about something I keep waiting for someone to slap his ass down, but then Not-Crazy-Really Carrie is normally the one letting him do it, so I guess that kind of explains that.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I think it's great that you genuinely can't tell when Carrie is giving a brilliant performance to Brodie or someone or having a borderline psychotic episode, and neither can her bosses and it scares the shit out of them

"Is she acting crazy? or like, acting acting crazy?"

override367 on
  • Options
    Yeah. We talked earlier about Carrie being crazy enough to actually believe a lot of her bullshit lines when she says them, but sane enough to dismiss the ideas when they start to get in the way of the mission.

It reminds me of when my mom had a psychotic break back when I was 12. She was so persuasively nuts that she had her friends and family questioning their own sanity. Carrie does the same thing. Like, in this episode, Brody knows she's playing him, and is confused because he finds that he doesn't really mind. Much.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Where the hell is Brody getting the idea he gets to be not OK with anything? "No shit it's not OK! Maybe you should have thought of that before turning traitor! You have no one to blame but yourself now shut the fuck up and get back in the car!"

Every time he flares up all indignant about something I keep waiting for someone to slap his ass down, but then Not-Crazy-Really Carrie is normally the one letting him do it, so I guess that kind of explains that.

Really. Not OK, Brody? You mean not OK like strapping on a suicide vest and trying to blow up a room full of (mostly) innocent people not OK?

• Options
    So how much are they going to give us next episode? Are they going to hold out the possibility that Brody ends up getting turned a third time?

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Yeah. We talked earlier about Carrie being crazy enough to actually believe a lot of her bullshit lines when she says them, but sane enough to dismiss the ideas when they start to get in the way of the mission.

It reminds me of when my mom had a psychotic break back when I was 12. She was so persuasively nuts that she had her friends and family questioning their own sanity. Carrie does the same thing. Like, in this episode, Brody knows she's playing him, and is confused because he finds that he doesn't really mind. Much.

I think it's because Brody's entire life is a ball of lies

At least with Carrie he knows she knows his lies, and even if the relationship itself is one at least it's one that they share. They can share in the honesty of their deception with one another, if that makes any sense.

override367 on
  • Options
    At this point I wonder how much of the relationship is Carrie being in love with Brody and how much of it is their relationship and his usefulness being the only thing keeping her in the CIA.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I don't think Carrie even knows the answer to that, and it obviously scares Saul

This show is pretty good at not letting us too far into the characters' heads

override367 on
  • Options
    Silas AdamsSilas Adams I know certainty freaks you guys out, but it's 100. Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I just finished Season 1, looking into figuring out how to get caught up with S2. But I just want to say something regarding the S1 finale.
    That was so unbelievably frustrating and annoying. I can't help but feel like they just completely pussied out by not having Brody blow himself up. It was like they suddenly realized "Hey, we need another season and it's a safer bet to keep Damien Lewis alive." If he would have done it, and if they still figured out how to do more seasons, it would have been absolutely amazing.

Everything about the episode was almost overbearingly cynical, especially with Carrie figuring it out at the last minute before the electroshock. I get her reasoning for going through with it, but the timing of everything was so fucking convenient that it irritated me severely. Felt like the writers straight up maneuvered everything against Carrie, like with the daughter only calling her Dad after throwing Carrie out of the house and calling her crazy. She was totally right about everything and single handedly saved the VP. Really great character, and it's going to be satisfying if and when she destroys Brody.

Anyway, enough bitching. I love the show but dear god in heaven is it frustrating sometimes. I hope S2 is amazing enough to warrant Brody's survival.

Silas Adams on
  • Options
    Silas AdamsSilas Adams I know certainty freaks you guys out, but it's 100. Registered User regular
    Ok, since it doesn't seem to be on PSN and I'm wary of google searches for fear of spoilers, can anyone here tell me how I can get caught up with Season 2? I'd much appreciate it.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    To my knowledge the only way to watch the current season is go get dish/cable. They're a subscription network, their goal is to get subscribers, so they have little incentive to sell it to you a la carte. Same as Game of Thrones, Dexter, True Blood, etc.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    I just caught up on this after doing a marathon of all of the episodes. This show is way better than it has any right being.

Also, I know it was discussed in detail before, but
    that interrogation scene was incredibly good. Every time I think Claire Danes has done something to completely fuck herself over, she ups the ante, turns it to 11, and makes it all work.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Holy shit

this show

• Options
    Fuck! Why is the next episode a week away.
    This show gets off on those tense moments like the one at the very end.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Every episode ends the same way.
    I turn to those watching with me and say "this show is so fucking good"

this show is so fucking good.

• Options
    I cant get friends to watch this because I can't adequately describe why it's so fucking good

• Options
    As my girlfriend was leaving this morning, my last words were "Have a nice day at work. I can't believe we have to wait another 6 days for a new episode of Homeland."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OMG the holiday weekend threw me off sufficiently for me to forget that yesterday was Sunday!

Can I get home in time to eat lunch while I watch it on DVR and be back at work before my appointments?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hahahaha holy shit

This show is BANANAS.

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    shameful, just, shameful wrong posting

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    woops, wrong thread

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    So in case anyone was wondering, the answer to "can I get home in time to eat lunch and watch last night's episode?" was yes. And holy shit.
    I had been thinking in the back of my mind during the beginning of the season that if Brody wouldn't play ball, killing him would start to look like a more attractive option than publicly acknowledging that the vice president had come <thisclose> to nominating as his running mate a secret Muslim terrorist who had infiltrated the House of Representatives as a Congressman.

Did not expect them to leave that on the table.