Options

Homeland[sho] - She's not crazy, simply in love!

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    The son is also not on screen practically, so that's fine.

The daughter's B plot is a stupid love triangle. That's not better, it's worse. It's taking up time from...well, shit there's a triangle or 2 in the main plot even. So I guess it's a wash.

The daughter has been way too reasonable for a teenager. I fully expect her to go through a batshit crazy phase soon (tm).

Re: Brody
    I really hope they don't flip him, as the show needs him in the state he is now. His ambiguities are way too delicious. I can't say I see what other path is left, though.

zeeny on
  • Options
    HotandnerdyHotandnerdy Hot and Nerdy Kansas CityRegistered User regular

zeeny wrote: »

The daughter's B plot is a stupid love triangle. That's not better, it's worse. It's taking up time from...well, shit there's a triangle or 2 in the main plot even. So I guess it's a wash.

The daughter has been way too reasonable for a teenager. I fully expect her to go through a batshit crazy phase soon (tm).

I really hope they don't flip him, as the show needs him in the state he is now. His ambiguities are way too delicious. I can't say I see what other path is left, though.

I hope so!

girl.jpg
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Well.
    They could flip him, and he's then acting as a triple agent.

Basically he convinces them that he wants to help take down Nazir, then has second thoughts, plays both sides against each other so he can weasel his way through as unscathed as possible.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Oh, WTF, you talk about how it has a great cast and you forget to mention the greatest member of the cast?

Prepare to die.

InigoMontoya1.jpg

Wait... Inigo Montoya and the CIA guy are the same dude? My mind just exploded.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Oh, WTF, you talk about how it has a great cast and you forget to mention the greatest member of the cast?

Prepare to die.

InigoMontoya1.jpg

Ho...ly... CRAP! I did not know that, either!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Kids.

• Options
    Oh, and the thread title is genius.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Man he is seriously just the absolute best actor, and you would be doing yourself a favor by becoming an aficionado of his work so you don't have that sneak up on you in the future.

Also it is fun to watch season one of Criminal Minds and say that the profile suggests that the subject is an affluent white male, possibly a nobleman, with six fingers on one hand.

• Options
    Patinkin is reason enough to watch the show, yeah. Add Lewis and Danes and it's just ridiculous.

• Options
    I didn't have an opinion on Danes previously but she has blown my socks off.

I don't think I have loved a character more than I loved Damien Lewis's portrayal of Charlie Crews in Life. Along with Patinkin he is one of those actors who make me say, "oh that guy is in it okay let me set up a series record on my TiVO."

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Life was such a good show and I could only convince 1 of my friends to watch it while it was airing.

• Options
    It's watch instantly on Netflix at least!

And that honestly is the best way to see it because the first episode and the last are so fucking circular that it's Zen like. I totally missed that when I had to wait a week for each episode.

If you are reading this and haven't seen Life, what you should be getting out of this is that you should go watch life already you goose!

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Life was good, but uneven. Lewis was great, but sometimes his lines were awful. It was a concept that needed better writers to execute it well.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Lewis is a damn good actor

I loved how he cracked a little creepy smile when he was going on about "I'm pretty good at this!"

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So I noticed something on Sunday that Im afraid I cant unsee. Im spoilering it so as not to ruin Lewis for anyone else.
    Seriously, this may ruin him for you.
    Okay, I warned you.
    His bottom lip, oh god his bottom lip.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

Prepare to die.

InigoMontoya1.jpg

Try watching Alien Nation. Please keep the remainder of your mind in a safe place. Double blown is not a desirable state for a mind.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular

Prepare to die.

InigoMontoya1.jpg

Try watching Alien Nation. Please keep the remainder of your mind in a safe place. Double blown is not a desirable state for a mind.

Keep in mind that Patinkin is a method actor and probably was walking around for weeks with the Newcomer makeup on 24/7.

• Options
    iguanacus wrote: »

Prepare to die.

InigoMontoya1.jpg

Keep in mind that Patinkin is a method actor and probably was walking around for weeks with the Newcomer makeup on 24/7.

You love to see him on TV but hate to see him move in next door. He probably started blackmailing the poor son of a bitch who lives across the street from him after his first callback for this role.

Who knows how many people he killed after he was cast as a tough but paternal grim reaper in Dead Like Me?

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I just watched this show from season 1 to current over the past few days and the one thought that keeps popping into my head since it's reveal is
    that I keep wanting Brody to have a better reason for having flipped in the first place.

His reason for flipping is so goddamn stupid to me. The death of 60+ innocent kids is a tragedy of epic proportions, but his freaking response is to turn against his entire fucking country, suicide-assassinate the VP and his people, and leave his own family in ruins? Really Brody? That's the best plan?

RT800 on
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    I just watched this show from season 1 to current over the past few days and the one thought that keeps popping into my head since it's reveal is
    that I keep wanting Brody to have a better reason for having flipped in the first place.

His reason for flipping is so goddamn stupid to me. The death of 60+ innocent kids is a tragedy of epic proportions, but his freaking response is to turn against his entire fucking country, suicide-assassinate the VP and his people, and leave his own family in ruins? Really Brody? That's the best plan?

Thing is, killing the Veep (and his staff) is actually a pretty direct and focused response to what happened. Better than, say, dropping a couple skyscrapers full of random people. Sacrificing his own family (through his posthumous disgrace) may seem a bit much, but it's not ludicrous.

• Options
    The impression I get is that he believes this helps his country by taking it out from under the thumb of a guy who would knowingly use a drone to strike at a school on the off chance that he killed the terrorist who lived next door.

And I can't really see myself turning against the United States for that reason, but on the other hand, I am not at all surprised that Syrians revolted against the guy who stubbornly kept planting snipers on rooftops to fire on protesters who were coming away from the funeral of the protesters who were killed at yesterday's funeral, so it may make more sense once you divorce the question from your own personal and emotional perspective.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I still don't see why he wouldn't just
    use his fame to speak out against the Veep. Just say "I was there, and I saw it and I'm a fucking war hero so believe me."

This alone would probly be enough to seriously fuck the Veep's chances at becoming president. No need for suicide. No need for murder or family-sacrifice or becoming a traitor and helping a terrorist.

And is he just... unaware of 9/11 or something? Is he under the impression that the people he's helping, heinous as any US drone-strike may have been, have the moral high ground in this scenario?

He's decided to "help" his country against domestic threats by aiding it's foreign threats? What?

RT800 on
  • Options
    Because that would be an insanely boring television show to watch?

There needs to be some immediacy and danger to preserve the drama. Likewise, they can't go too much further to rationalize or justify why that immediacy and danger exists or else they run the risk that the audience is going to start rooting for him like he's a ginger Jason Bourne or something. They certainly have to tell you why, but you're not supposed to identify with him and his thirty two different flavors of combat and confinement related PTSD.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Well, in the end I guess saying that you weren't brain-washed is just the sort of thing brain-washed people would say.

or maybe (as is my hope)
    he'll turn out to be some sort of quadruple super agent working for the illuminati, who's true motives have yet to be revealed.

RT800 on
  • Options
    Hell yeah it is! Have you ever seen anyone who wasn't brain washed go around telling people that he wasn't brain washed? Heck no; those of us among polite society take it for granted that accusations about or suspicion of brain washing generally is considered off the proverbial table by all parties involved.

And I get that you're stuck in this weird place where you want to find a redeemable quality in a character played by an actor you really enjoy rooting for because I've been there, too. Kind of like how I think Denzel Washington is the good guy in Training Day and I don't fucking care what any of y'all say. But just embrace it. He's playing this part really well.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So I just marathoned through the whole series so far. Wow, that show rocks. Can't wait to find out where they are going with this.

• Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that doesn't care for Claire Danes' acting?

I also felt the way the she handled the situation at the end of last week's episode was a huge turnoff for me. It didn't make sense and seems uncharacteristic.
    I get she's bipolar. But she just went through counseling and back on her meds.

I didn't see the need for her to go and handle the situation she did. Maybe if she hadn't rushed in there they could've uncovered the plot without wasting hours trying to turn him back.

sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    I would like to be the first to say:
    CALLED IT!
    Am I the only one that doesn't care for Claire Danes' acting?

I also felt the way the she handled the situation at the end of last week's episode was a huge turnoff for me. It didn't make sense and seems uncharacteristic.
    I get she's bipolar. But she just went through counseling and back on her meds.

I didn't see the need for her to go and handle the situation she did. Maybe if she hadn't rushed in there they could've uncovered the plot without wasting hours trying to turn him back.

I thought that the scene was meant to make you unsure about Carrie.
    She might be telling the truth that Brody made her. Or she might have been just that desperate to get back in with the CIA. Either way is interesting (and allows the show to continue).

Tonight's episode was totally badass. The scene between Carrie and Brody is going to be talked about for another Emmy.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I find Claire's actions completely believable

Fuck's sake the series opened with her trashing her career to talk to a dubious source. Being reckless is the only reason she's not a superstar in the agency

override367 on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So like, what just happened with the
    car crash. Who was that on the ground? It looked a little like Brody's media contact, but I guess it could've just been a "this woman is pretty injured" shot.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Honestly Carrie doesnt come across as bipolar to me, but its a minor issue, shes definitely been consistent.

Another episode, another excellent hour.
    Is anyone else not convinced Brody is committed to the CIA?

So like, what just happened with the
    car crash. Who was that on the ground? It looked a little like Brody's media contact, but I guess it could've just been a "this woman is pretty injured" shot.
    I think its just a this woman looks pretty injured shot.

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I wonder if Carrie meant anything she said or if she was just bullshitting Brody to get him to confess.

RT800 on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    I wonder if Carrie meant anything she said or if she was just bullshitting Brody to get him to confess.
    Are you kidding?

I think she meant every goddamn word. Have you been watching the same show?

Fuck, that episode was amazing.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Are you kidding?

I think she meant every goddamn word. Have you been watching the same show?

Fuck, that episode was amazing.
    I dunno I just found it kinda hard to believe she still loved him after he ruined her life and all.

Her attachment to Brody has always struck me as odd.

RT800 on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    She's crazy. Certifiably. So of course it doesn't make sense.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    Honestly Carrie doesnt come across as bipolar to me, but its a minor issue, shes definitely been consistent.

Another episode, another excellent hour.
    Is anyone else not convinced Brody is committed to the CIA?

Of course he
    isn't. He's got divided loyalties coming out of every pore of his body. Plus, the CIA fucking stabbed him through his goddamn hand. Guy like Brody doesn't just let that shit go.

He had mixed feelings about terrorism before, but was able to justify it to himself (to an extent). Now he'll be seeking other ways around it (like trying to convince Nazir to alter his plans), but he's not going to just roll over and give up Nazir the first chance he gets.
    I think it ends with
    Brody killing the VP, face-to-face. His way, instead of Nazir's. Then Nazir kills Brody's son to teach him the consequences of failure. Then next season Brody is fully on board the S.S.Carrie Totally Fucks Nazir Over.

• Options
    When she said:
    ... "We'll protect your family." I had such high hopes that they will set up a series finale where she dies to save them, black screen, but then I remembered that we have a third season, and something that good either gets cancelled before the story is complete, or gets dragged out until it turns into Dexter.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    When she said:
    ... "We'll protect your family." I had such high hopes that they will set up a series finale where she dies to save them, black screen, but then I remembered that we have a third season, and something that good either gets cancelled before the story is complete, or gets dragged out until it turns into Dexter.

No offense, but that would be a terrible ending.

My gut feeling is that Brody needs to suffer loss one more time at the hands of Nazir to really secure his loyalties. I feel like the best possible outcome for this show will be a Brody who loses his son, and takes Nazir out for it. Possibly at the expense of his own life.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    syndalis wrote: »
    When she said:

No offense, but that would be a terrible ending.

My gut feeling is that Brody needs to suffer loss one more time at the hands of Nazir to really secure his loyalties. I feel like the best possible outcome for this show will be a Brody who loses his son, and takes Nazir out for it. Possibly at the expense of his own life.

But we have already watched this show on this very same network, syndalis;o).
    Any ending that doesn't complete the storyline, for which I honestly give two fucks about, but provides character resolution will be fine for me.

zeeny on
  • Options
    If they kill anyone it will be the daughter because the son basically doesnt exist. I think he had the most lines in this last episode, and he didnt say much.