As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kelsey [Chat]ter

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I am really at a loss for what to do about lunch today

blargh

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    zeeny wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    clooney

Always bears repeating.

I feel uncomfortable with how popular Krugman is amongst people who don't understand him 90% of the time, but are happy to quote him. I guess a Nobel would do that to one's reputation, but still don't like it.
    Not intended for anybody in this thread as I don't even know if he was mentioned before the picture.

I don't know that I've seen someone who doesn't understand 90% of Krugman and still quotes Krugman. I mean, I'm hardly the one to debate the nuances of neo-Austrian theory versus Keynesian models, but as it was mentioned before his NY Times blog is pretty accessible.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    I am really at a loss for what to do about lunch today

blargh

I did red beans and quinoa with green pepper and tomato. Pretty good, though I would have liked the chance to cook some sriracha into the red beans.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I had some bread, olive oil with balsamic vinegar and some potato cheese soup. Was good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:
    bowen wrote:
    BTW, DAoC was one of the best "community" MMOs. WoW just got everything that bugged me about having to deal with community down pat. Whereas DAoC you just ostracized the person for being a dickhead and suddenly they couldn't do shit with anyone.

It was, really I miss the community aspect of that game. It never ever appeared in other mmo I have played. There was a point where you knew most the 50's on your side and a lot of them on the enemy side since it was the same people you ran with all the time.

The paladin class community rep was actually a good friend of my mine when I played. Since I played a 2-H pally I gave him so much crap to give us an equal standing to shield pallies.

They could've probably salvaged that game but they were absolutely hell bent on not competing with Blizzard's racehorse.

I remember I renewed just for nostalgia's sake about a year ago. My guild was waiting for an active member to log in. Oh hey for some reason the last person in the guild that had played for years and years after we all stopped was paying on that house. But he cut back permissions, no biggie, dude stopped playing around the time I resubbed. I tried to save the house but I couldn't because I didn't have permission.

I opened a ticket and asked for the guild to be passed over to me.

GM answered in about an hour (holy shit that's fast!) and told me too bad the programmers didn't give him tools to deal with that. We'd have to wait until the batch job ran every 30(?) days or so and reevaluated that data and promoted based on activity. I told him that was a bunch of bullshit and shit like that is the reason everyone left for WoW.

Something tells me the GM's abilities were limited to "I'm stuck, move me" or "somethings' wrong with my spec tree, can you give me a respec?"

DAoC was really ahead of its motherfucking time. The herald, stats on characters, housing, PvP done motherfucking right, instances that scaled with experience/level, dungeons.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    GO AWAY, LADY GAGA

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I am endlessly amused by jokes and anecdotes that play off academics engaging in unexpected levels of violence, though, I must say.

Not just economists: Wittgenstein's poker, etc. And Kuhn throwing an ashtray at his graduate student.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I read this by Krugman the other day which has some choice quotes.
    The way to understand all of this is to realize that it’s part of a broader syndrome, in which wealthy Americans who benefit hugely from a system rigged in their favor react with hysteria to anyone who points out just how rigged the system is.

• Options
    I gave up cheese for 10 days recently, to see if it would help my sinuses. Didn't really get a clear result, and the difference being slight means it isn't worth the quality of life sacrifice.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    TL,DR wrote:
    zeeny wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:
    clooney

Always bears repeating.

I feel uncomfortable with how popular Krugman is amongst people who don't understand him 90% of the time, but are happy to quote him. I guess a Nobel would do that to one's reputation, but still don't like it.
    Not intended for anybody in this thread as I don't even know if he was mentioned before the picture.

I don't know that I've seen someone who doesn't understand 90% of Krugman and still quotes Krugman. I mean, I'm hardly the one to debate the nuances of neo-Austrian theory versus Keynesian models, but as it was mentioned before his NY Times blog is pretty accessible.

It often seems so accessible, as to offer me unhelpful information. It seems that he almost never uses any numbers, nor gives direction to supplemental information.

I liked his book, Return to Depression Era Economics, but in blog format, I feel like I end up reading it just to stroke my own ideas of what is a good idea.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I also just realized that I still think of myself as a boy.

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    They could've probably salvaged that game but they were absolutely hell bent on not competing with Blizzard's racehorse.

I remember I renewed just for nostalgia's sake about a year ago. My guild was waiting for an active member to log in. Oh hey for some reason the last person in the guild that had played for years and years after we all stopped was paying on that house. But he cut back permissions, no biggie, dude stopped playing around the time I resubbed. I tried to save the house but I couldn't because I didn't have permission.

I opened a ticket and asked for the guild to be passed over to me.

GM answered in about an hour (holy shit that's fast!) and told me too bad the programmers didn't give him tools to deal with that. We'd have to wait until the batch job ran every 30(?) days or so and reevaluated that data and promoted based on activity. I told him that was a bunch of bullshit and shit like that is the reason everyone left for WoW.

Something tells me the GM's abilities were limited to "I'm stuck, move me" or "somethings' wrong with my spec tree, can you give me a respec?"

DAoC was really ahead of its motherfucking time. The herald, stats on characters, housing, PvP done motherfucking right, instances that scaled with experience/level, dungeons.

Yeah, it was a game of its time. It came out 10 years ago. WoW came out years later learning from EQ and DAoC. Some of the things like what you are talking about are mostly because the game is really old and those type of things were probably the bottom of the list. But it was ahead of its time basically for the reason you described. And the scaling instances didn't come till later and really did improve leveling.

I know I look at it with rose colored glasses but I really enjoyed it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Echo I'm not sureif your new av scares me or gives me bowel movements

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Has anyone read Steven Pinker's latest book?

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    GO AWAY, LADY GAGA

oh good you didn't end up trapped under a crane

wat

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    GO AWAY, LADY GAGA

oh good you didn't end up trapped under a crane

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    GO AWAY, LADY GAGA

She should have produced another good album instead of smoking an unbelievable amount of pot and putting on lots of funny hats.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Mazzyx wrote:
    ronya wrote:
    Well - did you understand his point?

When Krugman says - well, look, my model makes these correct claims and their models are falsified, those not already in the choir can just trot down to Right-Wing Blog #1 to see a counter-claim saying exactly the inverse, providing quotes from where Krugman was less circumspect and such. So I suspect that this isn't terribly convincing at the margin.

I don't know how to render the relationship between money, consumption, and investment into an appealing form, but it is a relationship that is difficult to intuitively justify except in broadly Keynesian strokes. So is a claim about fiscal stimulus and changes in money base aggregates at the zero bound, but this latter relationship is even more so, and without grabbing hold of one's mental model of the economy there is a perennial tendency to fall back into folk-economics mode.

Basically the models he uses and what has occurred(still low borrowing rates for the US government and no rapid inflation) has shown it is still time to borrow and use that money to increase demand by certain styles of stimulus programs. But if the inverse happened he would have to rework his view on macroeconomics and look for different models to explain how the economy works.

Well, yes, and like I said one can go to any number of blogs to see a counterclaim where a naïve Keynesian model fails to explain some observe empirics and a non-Keynesian model does. There are bluntly no shortage of these, and some of these aren't even from far-right Austrians but his fellow NYTimes bloggers. Naïve models simply don't do well and then one drowns in the details and neither side looks terribly convincing and in marches Glenn Beck and his chalkboard.

One must shift the folk vision of how the economy works and then abandon the finer points, I think.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Bocephus

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    bowen wrote:
    @gooey mind if I steal the obsidian to make a netherportal to my old place?

What old place? I trashed that shit.

• Options

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ronya wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    ronya wrote:
    Well - did you understand his point?

When Krugman says - well, look, my model makes these correct claims and their models are falsified, those not already in the choir can just trot down to Right-Wing Blog #1 to see a counter-claim saying exactly the inverse, providing quotes from where Krugman was less circumspect and such. So I suspect that this isn't terribly convincing at the margin.

I don't know how to render the relationship between money, consumption, and investment into an appealing form, but it is a relationship that is difficult to intuitively justify except in broadly Keynesian strokes. So is a claim about fiscal stimulus and changes in money base aggregates at the zero bound, but this latter relationship is even more so, and without grabbing hold of one's mental model of the economy there is a perennial tendency to fall back into folk-economics mode.

Basically the models he uses and what has occurred(still low borrowing rates for the US government and no rapid inflation) has shown it is still time to borrow and use that money to increase demand by certain styles of stimulus programs. But if the inverse happened he would have to rework his view on macroeconomics and look for different models to explain how the economy works.

Well, yes, and like I said one can go to any number of blogs to see a counterclaim where a naïve Keynesian model fails to explain some observe empirics and a non-Keynesian model does. There are bluntly no shortage of these, and some of these aren't even from far-right Austrians but his fellow NYTimes bloggers. Naïve models simply don't do well and then one drowns in the details and neither side looks terribly convincing and in marches Glenn Beck and his chalkboard.

One must shift the folk vision of how the economic works and then abandon the finer points, I think.

As proof why Krugman doesn't write the you want, most of the stuff you just stated had my eyes starting to gloss over. I am probably a standard level of economics training in the US. Maybe more than normal since I have to read stuff that occasional talks about it. Krugman basically distills his view both economic and political and post it on a blog to get his point across to the averaging voter as to get them to vote and view the world a specific way in order to influence policy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    @gooey mind if I take all your obsidian for no good reason?

• Options
    GO AWAY, LADY GAGA

She should have produced another good album instead of smoking an unbelievable amount of pot and putting on lots of funny hats.

I would put money on the fact that her first album wa too successful and now she's like 'i can finally follow my true artistic vision without corporate fatcats weighing in'

and then no one told her no and she has no editors and she is just producing mediocre stuff.

• Options
    bowen wrote:

Such a portal already exists and has optimal placement. Please do not make any more. Head into creeper cavern or the concourse portals. Ride the rail to the first stop. Follow the signs.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Krugman basically distills his view both economic and political and post it on a blog to get his point across to the averaging voter as to get them to vote and view the world a specific way in order to influence policy.

This is another thing. He often seems too political, so I have to think that a lot of people who would otherwise heed his wisdom, notice that and go "waiiit a minute."

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Does anyone want to play a game? LoL or CoX or TF2?

• Options
    As a Krugman fan, I'd honestly appreciate if someone could point out a specific instance of him bullshitting or being intellectually dishonest.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I would play TF2 with you if I weren't awful at it, Cass.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

I'll play CoX with you. Thoma is my global chat handle I think.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    GO AWAY, LADY GAGA

I would put money on the fact that her first album wa too successful and now she's like 'i can finally follow my true artistic vision without corporate fatcats weighing in'

and then no one told her no and she has no editors and she is just producing mediocre stuff.

I don't know, she has basically reinvented the art of selling out. I doubt she would rage about corporate fatcats. It's more likely that her label just gave her too much creative control.

And I don't mean selling out in the derogatory sense. How could she? She already makes the most popular style of music today. I mean sell out as in she used her music videos to promote her line of headphones, included shitloads of product placement, etc.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Septus wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Krugman basically distills his view both economic and political and post it on a blog to get his point across to the averaging voter as to get them to vote and view the world a specific way in order to influence policy.

This is another thing. He often seems too political, so I have to think that a lot of people who would otherwise heed his wisdom, notice that and go "waiiit a minute."

There was a huge movement over the last 20+ years of social science people pulling out of politics for one reason or another. Sadly this means most people who advise using social science are just politicians in different robes. Krugman kind of shows that those who were at least respected can get political and back it up with their own models but he doesn't publish those on the NY Times. Not sure if he has published anything in a scholarly journal for a while. I am not an economist so I don't read their journals, I tend to read mostly IR stuff.

But the retreat of the social scientist to their "Ivory Towers"(quote from a professor of mine giving a lecture on positivism) has actually hurt us when it comes to designing policy since the scientific arm basically is shut out or is not providing advice.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote:

I'll play CoX with you. Thoma is my global chat handle I think.

Okay! My global handle is @Requine

• Options
    bowen wrote:

Such a portal already exists and has optimal placement. Please do not make any more. Head into creeper cavern or the concourse portals. Ride the rail to the first stop. Follow the signs.

Ah you must've made it after the map then!

• Options
    Man, I'd love to be playing TF2 right now.

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    you got fucked upstate you cupcake
    how many dicks can your butt take

Chu do you still play LoL

Don't tell me Im the only [chat]ter playing again.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    you got fucked upstate you cupcake
    how many dicks can your butt take

• Options
    bowen wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Ah you must've made it after the map then!

The map takes hours to generate after a big change and can only run off of the latest backup of the world, so it's always a bit old, even when it's just refreshed.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    What I love about Dark Souls is how it's like an old school DnD adventure. Deadly, awesome loot, lots of traps and your spells are # of times per use so you gotta consider when to use them.

Skippy & I LoL. So do the Eddys and puppies and others I'm forgetting. SiGmund if you ask nice.

• Options
    What I love about Dark Souls is how it's like an old school DnD adventure. Deadly, awesome loot, lots of traps and your spells are # of times per use so you gotta consider when to use them.

Skippy & I LoL. So do the Eddys and puppies and others I'm forgetting. SiGmund if you ask nice.

I can tell you don't love me.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.