As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kelsey [Chat]ter

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I will say this though, on a serious note

When people ask "Is it still okay to say 'X'?", when discussing language, always seem to be the ones who have missed the point

I understand you were joking though, Wandering

(also wandering are you an old chatter or a name changed dude or something i forget)

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote:
    But cigarettes/bundles of sticks

You can make an exception if they speak British English.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    paleolithic mad scientist is a hell of a tricky costume

man I can't remember the last time I dressed up

kindergarten?

(halloween is a stupid american thing that almost caught on some years back but then died out, thankfully)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    "Man, this funeral is so gay."
    "Don't use gay as a pejorative!"
    "No, I mean literally gay. It's too happy! Funerals should be solemn affairs."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Passerbye wrote:
    Arch wrote:
    My data for this is all anecdotal of course, but out of all the people I know who use "gay" as a negative descriptor, all are really weird about gay people.

Like lesbians are fine but they make fun of gay men we know all the time behind their backs for being gay.

Conversely every person I know who rejects the use of that word as a negative modifier acts pretty swell towards gay people

I had a really homophobic former-friend tell me once that he was ok with my being bi because "Women can't really be gay". I pointed out that I'd had my tongue and three fingers buried in my girlfriend just that morning, but the info just seemed to roll right off of him.

Similarly, the friends I am alluding to got really uncomfortable when I casually mentioned I was bi

"Hahaha yeah right Arch of course you are! *rolleyes*"

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Hiring Mexican hit men when so many American hit men are out of work? Damn you, Iran.

• Options
    Arch wrote:
    That's pretty much all I have to say on the subject, and my argument can also be extended in full to the word "bitch" if you swap gays with women but that is a dark road to go down

woah woah there!

bitch is bad now?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Feral wrote:
    "Man, this funeral is so gay."
    "Don't use gay as a pejorative!"
    "No, I mean literally gay. It's too happy! Funerals should be solemn affairs."

Fuck that. I saw a comedian once who had a whole bit about how his funeral was gonna be like a huge techno dance club

Was that dane cook? I don't remember

Anyway that is how i feel funerals should be

Like a party to remember all the cool things about that person, not crying sadly in a pew

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    slovakia slovakia

so hilarious

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Is "gay" still shifting to mean "sucky" or "not very good"? That's how my sister uses it, along with "homosexual".

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Arch wrote:
    Leitner wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Sometimes outsider perspectives are retarded and should be shunned.

And sometimes, a group get so self-involved that they end up retreating into an uncriticised self consuming tower built on unquestioned foundations and games of ideological purity.

The first person to say, even ironically, "Like feminism!" gets a punch in the genitals
    Bu-but the SJ warriors approach to cultural relativism and religion is impossibly incoherent.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote:
    Anyway that is how i feel funerals should be

I want my carcass to be sterilized, dried, stuffed with candy, and roped up like a pinata.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Passerbye wrote:
    Arch wrote:
    My data for this is all anecdotal of course, but out of all the people I know who use "gay" as a negative descriptor, all are really weird about gay people.

Like lesbians are fine but they make fun of gay men we know all the time behind their backs for being gay.

Conversely every person I know who rejects the use of that word as a negative modifier acts pretty swell towards gay people

I had a really homophobic former-friend tell me once that he was ok with my being bi because "Women can't really be gay". I pointed out that I'd had my tongue and three fingers buried in my girlfriend just that morning, but the info just seemed to roll right off of him.

Well, yeah, but that's hot gay, not gay gay.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    ronya wrote:
    slovakia slovakia

so hilarious

?

Is there a town in Slovakia called Slovakia?

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    (also wandering are you an old chatter or a name changed dude or something i forget)
    Nope!

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote:
    Passerbye wrote:
    Arch wrote:

Similarly, the friends I am alluding to got really uncomfortable when I casually mentioned I was bi

"Hahaha yeah right Arch of course you are! *rolleyes*"

I think it's partly that some of them are attracted to women, so thinking of women in sexual situations is ok. But thinking of men in sexual situations? That's a no-no. You hear a guy tell his buddies about fucking his girlfriend, it's all about 'Oh, she reacted like this when I...' etc. It's all about describing how he 'rocked her world'.

Nevermind the ones who are afraid they're attracted to guys, and OH NOES what does that mean?

• Options
    SJ Warriors?

San Jose?
    Stevens-Johnson?
    South Jersey?

• Options
    Is "gay" still shifting to mean "sucky" or "not very good"? That's how my sister uses it, along with "homosexual".

Still shifting?

Its pretty much cemented in here, and by here I mean in south carolina

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Arch wrote:
    That's pretty much all I have to say on the subject, and my argument can also be extended in full to the word "bitch" if you swap gays with women but that is a dark road to go down

woah woah there!

bitch is bad now?
    Bitch is evolved from female dog.

It was originally used to speak about women who were the same as dogs.

It is now a male insult to mean feminine or submissive.

IE - OLOL those wimmens shore are lesser

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    In his teenage years, my brother liked to claim he was a lesbian, since he liked sex with girls.

To my knowledge this tactic was not successful.

• Options
    wandering wrote:
    Nope!

well then! (i know a few of the old chatters got name changes and I was like is this dude one of them)

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Arch wrote:

woah woah there!

bitch is bad now?

It's also used on obstinate or assertive women, though. See Tina Fey's "Bitch is the new black" skit on SNL.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    ronya wrote:
    slovakia slovakia

so hilarious

HOMTRE:: "'DESTROIY •ENEM|Y SPORTE FAK«TION / BLUDGEN THEM (SPOERTSZ MADNESSSS" - FROM EPSODE ""SPINGFELD ISETOPE VS` SARAJEVO BALLMURDERES"

• Options
    Ugh, or the people who tell me I'm not really bi 'cause my last few partners have been men. *rolls eyes*

• Options
    Language evolution is pretty interesting sometimes.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    In his teenage years, my brother liked to claim he was a lesbian, since he liked sex with girls.

I would think most lesbians are smart enough not to fall for that.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:

I would think most lesbians are smarter enough not to fall for that.

Well, maybe except the ones with white-people-dreds. And in that case: ewwwwwwww.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Interviewing someone who actually knows his shit is pretty fun. This guy actually passed.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2011
    I don't really have a strong opinion on controversial language. My basic principle is 'do what can reasonably be done to avoid upsetting people without good reason'. I use n****r a lot because for the last 15+ years it's been a word my friends and I have used casually around one another. I try not to say it in public areas. If someone expresses that it upsets them I try my best to remember that and police myself more stringently when they're around. The same goes for faggot, I guess, though I'm mostly out of the habit of using that one.

I'm certainly not going to act like a crucified martyr because someone is offended by a word or phrase I've used- regardless of whether I think it's a 'good reason' to be upset. People get upset for a variety of reasons. But at the same time, I don't really experience outrage or fury when someone uses a word that is personally offensive to me (like kike). Humor and habit run deep. I just try to go- hey, please don't do that, it's upsetting.

I dunno!

Organichu on
  • Options
    Passerbye wrote:
    Ugh, or the people who tell me I'm not really bi 'cause my last few partners have been men. *rolls eyes*

This obviously proves that you are a 0 on the Kinsey Scale.

• Options
    It's also used on obstinate or assertive women, though. See Tina Fey's "Bitch is the new black" skit on SNL.

So you're a bitch if you conform to a submissive female gender role, except when you're a bitch because you don't conform to a submissive female gender role.

• Options
    Passerbye wrote:

I would be curious to take that, it seems like it would be interesting.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    It's all about context. When I'm with my nearest and dearest friends, we make all sorts of dumb jokes about each other, we throw around slurs, whatever. We all understand it's a joke. But when people draw lines in the sand, it's generally best to accept that and change your behavior accordingly, because it won't kill you not to say bitch or fag or whatever.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    It's always bothered me that we can use etymology to show that in the past that a word used to be offensive and is therefore not ok to say now. But we can't do the opposite and say that a word used to be non-offensive so it should be ok now.

We are gonna run out of words! Or at least have to start using repurposing uncommon ones.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Arch wrote:

woah woah there!

bitch is bad now?

Yeah, I know, dude.

But halfway serious;

"to bitch" is the only way I use it but there I use it a lot

in the sense of, well, bitching

and from that, being a bitch means basically just prone to bitching

which is kind of funny

it's become completely gender neutral

(although, I guess that's mostly because we have lots of negative words for women but no good words for someone bitching)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    DK I rebooted. 0 page outs atm!

*covetously eyes Activity Monitor*

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I picked up 'lame' and 'dumb' to replace 'gay'

These are the only terms I will say 'really' over when someone is offended

• Options
    Passerbye wrote:
    Passerbye wrote:

I would be curious to take that, it seems like it would be interesting.

It's all linear and binary and shit.

• Options
    It's all about context. When I'm with my nearest and dearest friends, we make all sorts of dumb jokes about each other, we throw around slurs, whatever. We all understand it's a joke. But when people draw lines in the sand, it's generally best to accept that and change your behavior accordingly, because it won't kill you not to say bitch or fag or whatever.

TROOF

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    this european confederation is going through some interesting times

aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.