As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Age of Microtransactions: Why I'm getting off the MMO train here.

13»

• SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    I'm pretty strict when it comes to microtransactions in MMOs.

No fees or an optional "premium" sub?

Then microtransactions are okay to me, and I even buy some stuff as I treat the game as a little buffet and pick the bits I want - like all the quest modules and most classes in DDO.
    I completely ignore XP-boots and buyable mounts/vanity items and such, yet I imagine that this really only works in a good F2P game with story content worth paying for and playing (so LOTRO as well maybe), and it is crucial I can buy these goods on a discount.

Fees in a sub-MMO though?

Won't even touch it.
    It feels to me like I should be getting all the content in the game for the regular $15 or so that I give them a month.

steam_sig.png
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    puzzle pirates drove me crazy with it's microtransactions because once they figured out that they could just make new clothes/ships/whatever they stopped releasing new content that wasn't just a reskin of existing content.

now it's owned by sega so unlikely that'll change, bleh.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.