As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Where is Den[Chat]?

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    I would like to give Milla my multi-pass if you know what I mean

I'd light her Aziz

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote:
    the 3 musketeers is going to be so good

I saw it tonight. It was jolly good fun, and the more fantastic elements the trailer suggests was actually fairly restrained, like how the only really supernatural thing in POTC 1 was the Cursed Treasure.

And the undead crewmen.

Also the campus.

Also Keira's bodices.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote:
    Wash wrote:

I'd light her Aziz

she's not even in that scene

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    I'd make her say PLAYSE HALP

am I right?

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    my main interest in history the last couple years has been the late bronze age. There is so much potential for kewl games in that era.

For one thing, the battles were so different from the kind of thing that survived down to the present day in literary sources. This is long before the Phalanx (hell, it's even long before the Trojan War).

After the 17th century BC the main focus throughout the enitre eastern mediterranean world was chariot warfare. And this was not like what you'll see in a game of Warhammer or in movies. A war chariot was absolutely not used to ram the enemy or even for charging with a spear or lance (though Hittite chariots did sometimes carry one as a last resort for fending off infantry that got too close). Chariots were extremely fast and light (a single man could lift and carry the entire chariot over his head) and carried two people with a team of 2 or 4 horses (note: these horses were the largest of their day but would be considered a large pony today at best). One person would drive and the other would fire a composite bow (the Hittites sometimes used a slightly larger chariot with 3 people where the third carried a large shield to protect the other two). The occupants of the chariot (outside of Egypt, where armor was less used) wore armor made of leather with sewn on bronze scales which was pretty bulky and hard to run in (should the chariot be disabled).

Chariots would move in formation at high spead around the enemy firing with their composite bows as they went. An extensive written chariot horse training manual from Mittani has survived (it took over 7 months of training by an expert to prepare a horse for a chariot team) and after training they could run at full speed for over a mile and trot for extended periods of time.

The chariot armies of the Great Kings were actually pretty tiny. The Battle of Megiddo in the 15th century BC featured about 1000 chariots on each side. This was about the maximal size of a chariot army for the largest empires of the time. Often chariot armies numbered 100 or even just 50 chariots with supporting infantry (which was mostly there to engage in sieges).

The armies were so small because the damn things were insanely expensive. It took over 5 years properly prepare and assemble the pieces of a composite bow, the chariots themselves had to be made of several different types of wood imported from often hundreds of miles away (tests have shown that chariots found in burials in Egypt were made in Armenia). The horses also had to be imported as they were not common to most of the ancient near east and trained by experts (they were known and could be had for a price but no one wanted them - they were not well suited to hot climates or rocky ground with their soft hooves). From Greece to Crete to Egypt to Hatti to Mesopotamia to India the chariot teams themselves were the nobility, the military aristocracy of the late bronze age. Skilled carpenters (making and repairing lightweight spoked wheel chariots is a bitch) and horse breeders / trainers were highly respected occupations because of their close connection to these maryannu (to use the common Indo-European word for this military aristocracy).

*yawn*

So what part of that would actually make a good game?

huntresssig.jpg
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    I'd make her say PLAYSE HALP

am I right?

As observed in one of the HAWP podcasts, they should have made Aziz the 5th element. Because then they could end the movie with Bruce Willis screaming

AZIZ LIGHT!

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Variable wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    Wash wrote:

I'd light her Aziz

How do YOU know? Maybe she was one of those guys in the suits? Ever think about that?

Kagera wrote:
    Variable wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    Wash wrote:

I'd light her Aziz

How do YOU know? Maybe she was one of those guys in the suits? Ever think about that?

um, yeah all that time

Variable wrote:
    tyrannus wrote:
    Wash wrote:

I'd light her Aziz

this is not super green

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I feel my obvious victory in this innuendo contest is not being sufficiently recognized

Arivia wrote:
    my main interest in history the last couple years has been the late bronze age. There is so much potential for kewl games in that era.

For one thing, the battles were so different from the kind of thing that survived down to the present day in literary sources. This is long before the Phalanx (hell, it's even long before the Trojan War).

After the 17th century BC the main focus throughout the enitre eastern mediterranean world was chariot warfare. And this was not like what you'll see in a game of Warhammer or in movies. A war chariot was absolutely not used to ram the enemy or even for charging with a spear or lance (though Hittite chariots did sometimes carry one as a last resort for fending off infantry that got too close). Chariots were extremely fast and light (a single man could lift and carry the entire chariot over his head) and carried two people with a team of 2 or 4 horses (note: these horses were the largest of their day but would be considered a large pony today at best). One person would drive and the other would fire a composite bow (the Hittites sometimes used a slightly larger chariot with 3 people where the third carried a large shield to protect the other two). The occupants of the chariot (outside of Egypt, where armor was less used) wore armor made of leather with sewn on bronze scales which was pretty bulky and hard to run in (should the chariot be disabled).

Chariots would move in formation at high spead around the enemy firing with their composite bows as they went. An extensive written chariot horse training manual from Mittani has survived (it took over 7 months of training by an expert to prepare a horse for a chariot team) and after training they could run at full speed for over a mile and trot for extended periods of time.

The chariot armies of the Great Kings were actually pretty tiny. The Battle of Megiddo in the 15th century BC featured about 1000 chariots on each side. This was about the maximal size of a chariot army for the largest empires of the time. Often chariot armies numbered 100 or even just 50 chariots with supporting infantry (which was mostly there to engage in sieges).

The armies were so small because the damn things were insanely expensive. It took over 5 years properly prepare and assemble the pieces of a composite bow, the chariots themselves had to be made of several different types of wood imported from often hundreds of miles away (tests have shown that chariots found in burials in Egypt were made in Armenia). The horses also had to be imported as they were not common to most of the ancient near east and trained by experts (they were known and could be had for a price but no one wanted them - they were not well suited to hot climates or rocky ground with their soft hooves). From Greece to Crete to Egypt to Hatti to Mesopotamia to India the chariot teams themselves were the nobility, the military aristocracy of the late bronze age. Skilled carpenters (making and repairing lightweight spoked wheel chariots is a bitch) and horse breeders / trainers were highly respected occupations because of their close connection to these maryannu (to use the common Indo-European word for this military aristocracy).

*yawn*

So what part of that would actually make a good game?

Total War style strategy RTS.

Even an economic / city building game like The Settlers where you have to scrounge up the resources to keep your maryannu happy etc...

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

wonder what shang dynasty chariots and armies were like

possibly the same?

aRkpc.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hm, DDR2 RAM seems to be more expensive than DDR3, but my Mobo only supports DDR2 it would seem.

LAME

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    One bit I liked about 3M:
    D'Artanagn gets in a quarrel with the Cardinal's Right Hand Man on his initial journey to Paris and challenges him to a duel. Normally you'd expect that he gets to show off his skill with a blade for a while but the other guy will beat him in order to raise the stakes when they cross paths once again...but the Cardinal's man just shoots him.

It was like the flip side of Indiana Jones. :P

RMS Oceanic on
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Hm, DDR2 RAM seems to be more expensive than DDR3, but my Mobo only supports DDR2 it would seem.

LAME
    your shit is old!!

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:

LAME

For the most part it's not made anymore, so the prices go up!

I want another movie about 10,000 BC without all the bullshit that movie had.

ronya wrote:

wonder what shang dynasty chariots and armies were like

possibly the same?

They were ruling at exactly the same time and there is some evidence that they imported their chariot technology from the same place (probably eastern anatolia / armenia) so that is likely.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    !

more plausible to ship chariots over the Mediterranean coast, compared to shipping chariots bits some three thousand km over central asian deserts and mountains!

unless you mean, like, technological dispersal via Russia

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    My shit is super old, yes.

Sadly it would cost more to get a new mobo (and thus processor) than stick out of date ram in this old one.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I wish I had a bigass tv and a cable subscription so that I could watch Melancholia now instead of waiting a month for it to show up in theaters.

I just know that I'm going to have it spoiled for me before then.

Hahha, looking at this one really cheap set of RAM. The reviews are either 5s or 1s. Either people going "amazing value for the cost" or "the RAM shipped broken"

I guess lack of QC explains the cost.

ronya wrote:
    !

more plausible to ship chariots over the Mediterranean coast, compared to shipping chariots bits some three thousand km over central asian deserts and mountains!

Well they already were in India (the Rigveda is a much later writing down of traditions about this time).

The argument I have read is that the bits of Shang / Chou era chinese chariots that have been found correspond exactly in the details of their construction to those from Anatolia / Mesopotamia / Greece / Crete / Egypt.

It was a technology that moved far and fast once it caught on. Though chariots were known and not used much for at least a couple hundred years prior to the 17th century BCE when chariot warfare caught on.

A lightweight, two wheeled cart with spoked wheels was a much easier and safer way to take advantage of the horse than acutally riding them given the primitive tack and harness technology of the time (horses were more usually used for meat and milk than for riding prior to the bronze age).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    What should I watch on Netflix instead of clinging to the vain hope that I'll actually write something today?

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    What should I watch on Netflix instead of clinging to the vain hope that I'll actually write something today?

Do some push ups until you think of something.

• dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    THERE IS A DILDO SOMEWHERE IN YOUR PARENTS BEDROOM RIGHT NOW.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote:

My dad's not that bad... he can just be full of himself.

Allegedly a voice of reason.

Home Movies, Psych (they just added season 5), That Mitchell and Webb Look (just added series 4) or Red Dwarf.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Home Movies, Psych (they just added season 5), That Mitchell and Webb Look (just added series 4) or Red Dwarf.

Dead Like Me, Better Off Ted, Malcolm in the Middle

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    dbrock every time I see your name, I imagine Jadakiss doing a racist impression of an asian person.

I did a bunch this morning.

And how about a movie? I've already seen all of those tv shows.

I did a bunch this morning.

And how about a movie? I've already seen all of those tv shows.

That newish Tron movie is in there now.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    dbrock270 wrote:

Do you have a daughter? Eventually SHE WILL BE HAVING ALL THE DILDOS IN HER BEDROOM!

desc wrote:
    dbrock every time I see your name, I imagine Jadakiss doing a racist impression of an asian person.

I just had an image of BA Barrakis doing a racist impression of an asian person.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    desc wrote:

I just had an image of BA Barrakis doing a racist impression of an asian person.

I just had an image of a racist impression of an asian person.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

My dad's not that bad... he can just be full of himself.

sounds like he's pretty flexible.

• dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

Do you have a daughter? Eventually SHE WILL BE HAVING ALL THE DILDOS IN HER BEDROOM!

THERE IS A STOCKPILE OF THONGS AND DILDOS IN YOU SISTERS BEDROOM.

dbrock270 wrote:
    Kagera wrote:
    dbrock270 wrote:

THERE IS A STOCKPILE OF THONGS AND DILDOS IN YOU SISTERS BEDROOM.

WHEN YOUR MOM KISSED YOU GOOD NIGHT, IT WAS WITH THE SAME MOUTH SHE USES TO BLOW YOUR DAD.

edited October 2011
    Now I get to waffle over if getting 8GB of ram is worth the increase over 4GB.

Ah, the fun of computer upgrades!

Edit: Or I could just take my parents up on their offer to toss 600 toward a laptop, that would also net me a 64bit OS and probably plenty of ram, ho hum.

Inquisitor on
    A kiss from mom is essentially a third-party teabag from dad.

This discussion has been closed.