As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Seguer wrote:
    3clipse wrote:
    MMMig wrote:
    The new Thor is a direct response to "David some do it"

...god, it just hit me that with the removal of Thors you won't even have that option to break tank lines. It's just going to be lolololol TankMarine in TvT all day every day.

...Warhound etc? New units?

Yeah that's what I meant in a super indirect way. It feels like the Warhound was specifically made to break tank lines.
    They might speed up its movement or possibly make its range close to siege model.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    how exactly would you introduce a handful of new units and not reset the balance? at least they aren't retarded, the know what they're doing to their game.

It's wishful thinking, but I want to compare it to BW. I'd expect them to tweak it, but not completely reset it.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I was completely unaware when BW came out, certainly about the balance and metagame of competitive play if not entirely so I'm not really sure how it worked.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    What wrote:
    Variable wrote:
    how exactly would you introduce a handful of new units and not reset the balance? at least they aren't retarded, the know what they're doing to their game.

It's wishful thinking, but I want to compare it to BW. I'd expect them to tweak it, but not completely reset it.

Medics? Lurkers? Corsairs? Dark Templar? These are all pretty big deals.

• Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote:
    What wrote:
    Variable wrote:

Medics? Lurkers? Corsairs? Dark Templar? These are all pretty big deals.

Right, they just threw them in there. They didn't take units out or whatever. They did tweak them in some patch but it was later after stuff had time to play out.

• Options
    but it rebalanced the game I'm sure.

good I thought medics and lurkers at the least were added but I wasn't sure. apparently I did spend time with vanilla SC before BW.

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    I just want brood war quality sounds for my units from HOTS. BW sayings were so much better.

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    The hydra sound was pretty damn iconic. Or even the lurker when it finished morphing or when it died.

Right now, I can't even remember what the SC2 Hydras sound like.

Then again, I've had 11 years of hydras spawning. ^^'
    and only 1 of SC2 re-education

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    ... I have literally never made anything but zerglings and cannons as the other races in sc2. wow.

so for me yeah all the sc1 sounds feel more iconic :D

I should re-download the soundboards from both games on my new phone.

• Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    This thread is always 20-30 times more active than our SC2 channel.

Yet the whole point of BNET 2.0 was to make it more like a social application that people could easily incorporate to their daily life. Less like a mIRC channel, more like something you can drop in and out of, less direct involvement but more overall connection.

But I have never even felt a level of involvement to the Starcraft chat that I did even in Warcraft 3, eight years after it came out.

I WOULD SAY PROJECT FAILED NO?

• Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Well, those chat channels also require you to be in the game at the same time.

• Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    redraptor wrote:
    This thread is always 20-30 times more active than our SC2 channel.

Yet the whole point of BNET 2.0 was to make it more like a social application that people could easily incorporate to their daily life. Less like a mIRC channel, more like something you can drop in and out of, less direct involvement but more overall connection.

But I have never even felt a level of involvement to the Starcraft chat that I did even in Warcraft 3, eight years after it came out.

I WOULD SAY PROJECT FAILED NO?

Pretty sure most of these people don't actually play. ^_^

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    Seguer wrote:

You are adorable!!!!!

seguer.png

• Options
    I'm online! I never really post in the chat though. I don't know why. I check it from time to time.

usually I'm either in a game or alt tabbed.

• Options
    Oh shit wasn't Lemming going to play tonight?

arg, I'm getting on even though I really shouldn't
    >.<'

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocftK_8uj-g&amp;feature=feedu

My my, the changes sounds dumber and dumber...

for ppl that's worried about burrowed banelings... they can't do that until it's researched at Hive tech.

Thors can't shoot up anymore.

The thing I personally hate the most... They removed corruption off Corruptor... As if Zergs needs another nerf to their Air units. Siphon is useless because late game Zergs has lots of Minerals...

Nylonathetep on
    714353-1.png
  • Options
    I'm watching MC vs. Jinro from the january gsl. I forgot tasteless used to call the 1/1/1 his build. that was the original tasteless build before it became insanely common. (not just any 1/1/1 specifically getting a raven in tvp)

• Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote:
    Oh shit wasn't Lemming going to play tonight?

arg, I'm getting on even though I really shouldn't
    >.<'

Too late! I'm already done. I have to do homework now then go to sleep, I've already been up for 30 hours

• Options
    redraptor wrote:
    Seguer wrote:

You are adorable!!!!!

seguer.png

Bahahah <3

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to do that :D

• Options
    Variable wrote:
    I'm watching MC vs. Jinro from the january gsl. I forgot tasteless used to call the 1/1/1 his build. that was the original tasteless build before it became insanely common. (not just any 1/1/1 specifically getting a raven in tvp)

Actually it was the Destiny Cloud Fist build (Husky)

• Options
    destiny cloud fist was any 1/1/1, like blue flame helion drop or cloaked banshee or tank viking. while raven in tvp would be included, sure, tasteless also called that specific version of the build in that matchup the tasteless build from the beginning

• Options
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    I can never remember to look at chat. Because it's minimizable and covers other things of bnet2.0, I just don't check there.

Also I don't like losing.

• Options
    Seriously you guys, have you SEEN what constant marine attacks with a 3OC build do to a zerg? It's disgustingly offensive, if they don't have perfect larvae injects they lose.

repimg-33-238076.jpg

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Yeah when you lose 30 drones to 16 marines that A move into your natural at the 11 min mark, I imagine your macro suffers a lot.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Dhal tried that to me when we played a Random vs Random once, but it was his T vs my P

That was during the 15 Nexus era. He was so pissed that I randomed Protoss, and that I 15 Nexus'ed that he built nothing but Marines rallied to my base (XNC)

It didn't work due to my awesome micro 8-)

• Options
    Mass marine against P is kinda bad, stalker micro owns marines hard

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Catz dies to vr/colossi/stalker.

"Maybe I needed some vipers there."

*trollface*

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    kedinik wrote:
    I'm not sure how you missed the part where interceptors kill hydras roughly as fast as hydras kill interceptors. That was the only part to the post.

e: I mean, unless trading cheap mineral sinks for fragile gas-heavy units is not your idea of a good time?

After two volleys interceptors become ineffectual against hydras at even-gas scales; their numbers drop faster and faster with each volley because they sit over the hydras for (relatively) long periods of time without firing, while the hydras' DPS is constant. This leaves you with a bunch of blimps.

I'm leaving out a big fat block of math and unit testing results about it, but it should be pretty obvious just by understanding how a carrier attacks.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I don't know what relevant meaning "even gas scales" is supposed to hold when you're trading cheap mineral sinks for pop inefficient, gas-heavy units in the late game.

If you get bored periodically pulling back and spending ~20 seconds rebuilding interceptors between hydra instagibs then ok I guess it isn't the hydra-slayer of your choice, that's fine.

e: Truly sorry if I sound like a dick. Didn't mean to be confrontational. I personally like carrier/colossi/archon in late game macro PvZ and wish it got more love.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    I watched old MC vs jinro earlier and artosis said marines were great against carriers

so just make marines

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Mass marine is fairly effective against Carriers, yes.

Not that it will ever matter.
    I'm not bitter

nope

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    I watched old MC vs jinro earlier and artosis said marines were great against carriers

so just make marines

Believe it or not, even-mineral marines fare worse against interceptors than hydras if you don't stim. It's mainly because the marines don't have enough health, even with combat shield, and don't put out enough concentrated DPS to knock down interceptors within the first few volleys. Of course, if you stim, the math flips back into the marines' favor (go figure...)

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Don't forget upgrades, especially armor. Terran's probably gonna have more armor upgrades than the Protoss weapons upgrades.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    tuxkamen wrote:
    Variable wrote:

so just make marines

Believe it or not, even-mineral marines fare worse against interceptors than hydras if you don't stim. It's mainly because the marines don't have enough health, even with combat shield, and don't put out enough concentrated DPS to knock down interceptors within the first few volleys. Of course, if you stim, the math flips back into the marines' favor (go figure...)

Who doesn't have stim at that point in the game though?

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    The obvious solution is to give Interceptors stim packs.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    dumb inflammatory post

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    s_86s_86 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    -

s_86 on
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Why even bother targeting the interceptors? Ignore them and tear down the stupid blimps.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
This discussion has been closed.