As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures OT. OP Update: Skylanders Cloud Patrol for IOS Out

• Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    This would be fun for the girlfriend and I to play, but I worry about how much actual 'game' is in there. Review said there were 26 levels, but if it's anything like the Lego games it'll be beaten shortly and summarily shelved, meaning that instead of just the game collecting dust it'll be the game and all the extra plastic junk. Still, the idea is pretty novel and I always enjoy co-op romping. I'll have to wait for some more reviews.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hillean wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Hillean wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Hillean wrote:
    Get at least 1 type from each elemental set, so you can unlock every area in the game.

Wait. So you literally can't unlock the entire game without one figure from each elemental set?

Yeah, I was just gonna ask this. They don't even give you a generic default one from each element, you have to actually go out and buy them?

Bleh. That sounds rather icky. At least tell me you can beat the game somewhat without needing outside product.

Yea, you can beat the game and 100% the achievement list with the starter 3. The only 'multiple character' achievements are 'complete 3 Heroic missions', once for each character, and some achievement with Gill, which every starter pack comes with him I believe.

But the game is fully completable, there are just some areas you'll hafta keep moving past b/c you don't have an archetype to unlock it.

So they wave it in your face that you're missing crap because you haven't bought all the figures? Lovely.

They show where you need a different character to access it, yes. You also get Soul Gems for characters you don't have, and you can watch a clip of said character's special abilities if you choose to watch it. All depends on how you wanna see it... if you wanna be a Negative Nancy about it, then I guess it'll be seen poorly.

It's kind of hard to view that positively, honestly. Not only do they tease you with areas you can't get to, but you collect items that can't be used without the characters. Video's easily avoidable, I guess.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I picked this up this afternoon and it's actually a lot of fun. Besides the regular levels there are heroic challenges for each character that completely gives you a certain stat upgrade. You can do those challenges with any character too, and some of them are surprisingly difficult. Picked up the chop chop, bash, and eruptor 3 pack plus stealth elf and whirlwind which is apparently a target exclusive. Probably going to get flameslinger at work tomorrow if we still have it.

What shocked me was there were more 20 somethings and older buying this for themselves than there were kids today. People in the store were freaking out over this game. Really glad I picked it up though, this stuff is going to be impossible to find during the holidays.

The only thing I don't like about this game so far is the complete lack of online support. If they included online multiplayer battle arenas, oh man. Totally get why they didn't though. Hopefully they do more with this tech in the future.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    Updated OP with abit more info (all credit goes to Fernoca)

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dunno about the game, but it really feels like a dude look at a character for two seconds before naming it.

"Stealth Elf?" That's a description, not a name.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    If I were in secondary/high school with a larger group of people also interested in the game, the entire concept would seem a million times cooler.

But as an adult and very likely the only person in my smaller group of friends who would play this game, and as a result have to buy the figures myself... not so much. More so when, after my interest in the game wanes, I'll be stuck with a bunch of dust collectors. And I have enough of those. I had a friend get me into Heroclix a few years back. They're now sitting in a shopping bag in the corner of my closet.

Interesting concept. But it's one collect/buy 'em all where I'd rather keep my nickels and dimes in my piggy bank.

I'm halfway planning to hardcore it, collect the entire set, and sell a few weeks before Xmas while the iron is hot

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I dunno about the game, but it really feels like a dude look at a character for two seconds before naming it.

Haha yeah, the naming of the characters is kind of...lacking for a lot of them.

Just checked out the PC stuff, hooked up my portal to my pc and imported all of my characters. Played a few different minigames so far, overall it's kind of neat. You can meet up with other people and customize your own little world. I could see them making a KILLING on this game.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    I really like the inter-connectivity of it all ... also I really like the figures themselves ... would totally display them on my geek shelf.

• Options
    chrpnk wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Just checked out the PC stuff, hooked up my portal to my pc and imported all of my characters. Played a few different minigames so far, overall it's kind of neat. You can meet up with other people and customize your own little world. I could see them making a KILLING on this game.

If they keep releasing new characters, and maybe even new games to continue using the older characters on, plus new ones... yea, it can go as far as they wanna take it.

I'm just hoping they release the 2nd set of characters before Xmas, it was smart of them to only release so many. It's pretty easy to collect up what is available now.

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    Hillean wrote:
    chrpnk wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

If they keep releasing new characters, and maybe even new games to continue using the older characters on, plus new ones... yea, it can go as far as they wanna take it.

I'm just hoping they release the 2nd set of characters before Xmas, it was smart of them to only release so many. It's pretty easy to collect up what is available now.

I'm curious if they will discontinue some characters to create scarcity while still having those characters available in future games if you own one of those scarce discontinued character

Akin to pulling out a black lotus in a Magic match .... That's the sort of thing that will drive collectors to buy and collect ...

• Options
    Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
    I picked up the 3DS version last night. I'm surprised how much fun I'm having with it. The platforming reminds a lot of older games like Croc, except not so rough around the edges. Had to pick up Terrafin pack and Sonic Boom this morning. :D

• Options
    For those of you that already own the game does it basically play like the Lego series in terms of co-op play and game mechanics?

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Welp, looks like I know what Im asking for my birthday.

• Options
    It plays kiiiiiinda like Lego, the pace is a bit faster but I guess you can compare. Co-op is simple, just press A to join and itll ask for another Skylander to be set on the portal and itll load it up. Dropping out is just as simple, the character just drops from the world. Some areas are easier with 2 players, like the turret sequences... 2 turrets are better than 1!

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    And based on the updated OP, I need to hit up Sams Club when I get off work.

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2011
  • Options
    Its a really solid game right out of the box, with the option of variety via buying more figures.

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    Man... That review was spot-on.

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Hillean wrote:
    And based on the updated OP, I need to hit up Sams Club when I get off work.

Let me know if the are actually selling the drill guy at Sam's Club. I know he was a preorder bonus, but if they have his single for sale, I'll totally swing by.

Going by target after work to grab whirlwind as it is.

Also, I am so gla I work at Best Buy, the discount saved me quite a bit on my spree yesterday, ha.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    He's listed on sam's website, i just hope my local store has it. Its on the complete opposite end of town from where I work & live.

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Bah looks like its online only... $9.88 plus 5.34 cheapest shipping?!? Ridiculous

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    This all looks pretty neat but it'll have to come way down in price before I jump on. Plus Darklight Crypt isn't available on Amazon. :(

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Oh my god, I decided to actually take a gander at the prices for this stuff in Canada.

$69.99 for the game and starter set. And then $19.99 for the various 3 packs of figures.

Oh ho ho ho ho. No.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Oh my god, I decided to actually take a gander at the prices for this stuff in Canada.

$69.99 for the game and starter set. And then $19.99 for the various 3 packs of figures.

Oh ho ho ho ho. No.

At least it's the same as the US.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:

Oh ho ho ho ho. No.

At least it's the same as the US.

I thought I heard somebody say figure packs were only 10 bucks. I sure as hell would not drop $23 after tax on each pack.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Its $8 per single, $20 per 3pack. Again, completely unnecessary to beat and enjoy the game. The only required purchase is the starter set.

greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    So how does co-op work? Do both players need a power portal thing or what?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Magic Pink wrote:
    So how does co-op work? Do both players need a power portal thing or what?

Nah. Only one portal is needed. Second person just grabs the second controller, hits a button, and puts their skylander on the same portal and bam..co-op. Second player can drop in and out anytime they want.

chrpnk on
  • Options
    Damn, they almost had me but Toy'sRUs Free shipping deal isn't extended to video games. Only in the small print tho! Fuck 'em.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This stuff actually sounds interesting, I kinda hope it fails though, so I can get the figures and game real cheap

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure just waiting will have the same result, without the tasteless ill wishing.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, but failures get the best deals!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    "Tasteless ill wishing"? Wow, Jesus posts on the forums!

• Options
    Best Buy has a bonus thingy included with starter pack as well (added to OP)

• Options
    Looks like the Darkligght Crypt is exclusive to Toys'R'us until Nov 15th.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Aside from what I might think of the game (which is generally good things), I have to point out something:

This Spyro:

spyros1.jpg

Is not the same as the many magnitudes better original from my childhood:

Copy%20(2)%20of%20Copy%20of%20Clear%20Spyro.jpg

Just FYI.

488W936.png
  • Options
    If I didn't play a game because I didn't like the character design I would own MAYBE 3 games.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I'm not playing it because it would be buried in backlog and November releases, and be filled with "You must be this elemental to get in".

488W936.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    On top of everything else, Gabe's saying that if one of your Skylanders dies in the game, it has to "rest" a while, meaning you can no longer play as him. The only way to keep playing? Own more Skylanders. How very Zynga.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    I don't believe I've seen anyone elaborate on it, but could someone with the game (or someone who has a video/review) explain what the "battle" multiplayer modes entail? People are posting that it doesn't exist but the OP claims the PC/console versions do have it.

Also is the "rest" permanent or is it can't play for some time until your toys "heal"? That's kind of a deal breaker if the former more of an annoyance and I'll go play something else if the latter.