As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What are your fears, SE++? (no pictures of what people talk about)

• LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Stale wrote:
    Janson wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote:
    I am terrified of the possibility of dropping newborns. I silently freak out whenever someone asks me if I'd like to hold their kid.

I recently gained a nephew though, so I'm forcing myself to face this fear.

Mori has this fear. He has... six months to get over it.

Mind you, I understand. I also faced this fear with my youngest brother/sister. Man, babies are so freaking fragile.

they're tougher than modern society gives them credit for

if they were, our species would have never survived.

Still, out of pretty much all mammals, we take by far the longest to grow into some kind of form that can adequately defend itself.

At least, that's what I'm led to believe based on very poor information.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    that very poor information being watching puppies grow

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    That is correct, Larlar.

The post natal growth period of humans is incredibly long when compared to other hominids chimpanzees or bonobos.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My uncle's mother had her first baby die, aged 3 days, when a nurse in the hospital dropped him.

Just... ugh. Can you imagine going through pregnancy and giving birth to a perfectly healthy baby and then he dies by complete accident?

It was her first child, too.

edited October 2011
    Silly forums!

Janson on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    My uncle's mother had her first baby die, aged 3 days, when a nurse in the hospital dropped him.

Just... ugh. Can you imagine going through pregnancy and giving birth to a perfectly healthy baby and then he dies by complete accident?

It was her first child, too.

Something like that would make me absolutely lose my shit.

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    Or just say

"No, get your shitty kid the fuck away from me."

I've never been asked to hold a baby since. That was 15 years ago.

And Stale's campaign manager's idea for a baby-kissing PR tour crashed and burned and he would never run for office again

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    Yeah, I wouldn't expect other people to like/hold my baby. I'm not a particular fan of other people's babies either, and they're often not fans of me. It's pretty awful when some proud mother hands you her baby and then the baby starts crying.

When I was born, my mother thought people would want to see and hold the new baby. Result? Mother grew tired and cranky receiving so many visitors, I grew tired and cranky from being disturbed all the time, and visitors weren't really impressed by either mother or baby. For her subsequent children, my mother subtly discouraged visitors and let sleeping babies lie.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    Yeah, I wouldn't expect other people to like/hold my baby. I'm not a particular fan of other people's babies either, and they're often not fans of me. It's pretty awful when some proud mother hands you her baby and then the baby starts crying.

When I was born, my mother thought people would want to see and hold the new baby. Result? Mother grew tired and cranky receiving so many visitors, I grew tired and cranky from being disturbed all the time, and visitors weren't really impressed by either mother or baby. For her subsequent children, my mother subtly discouraged visitors and let sleeping babies lie.

My step-sister pretty much had that realization. If any of my nephews / nieces after the first would start crying when people are like "aw lemme hold da baby" my sister would say, "Okay fun is over." Which is how I'd handle things.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    I've had people hold their kids out to me and I just shake my head and scowl like they are trying to give me a loose bag of shit and fluid.

which is what babies are.

"No thanks."

Invariably whoever I'm with will then step in and take the kid.

easysig2.jpg
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I don't hold babies. The last time I held a baby I held it away from me, arms fully outstretched, "The baby is crying! What does it want!"

And then they took the baby away.

Atta girl

easysig2.jpg
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Luckily I was able to pre-emptively avoid baby holding. When asked 'hey, when are you having kids?' a quick response of "If I wanted to be stuck with a screaming, demanding, compeltely self absorbed shit and vomit factory, I wouldn't have divorced my last one."

Said loud enough in a crowded office, and it even assures they keep their kids away from you during take your kids to work days!

Except my bosses kids. But they're teenagers who just want to talk video games anyhow, so we coo'.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    smof wrote:
    I was dropped as a baby. As my gran carried me out of hospital at 7 days old after spending my first week of life in the ICU. Thanks gran! But I turned out fine, I think. Or at least only damaged in ways hidden to society, which is hardly damage at all.

What I'm saying here is throw your babies.

I bounced myself off our countertop when I was a baby and hit my head.

I turned out ok.

I flipped out of a cart
    Luckily I was all bundled up (winter baby) so plenty of padding

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    I believe the only baby that didn't cry when I hold it is my friends' kid. Which is good cause I see that kid a bunch.
    Might be the curly hair. Babies just don't know what to make of it. My friend has a big ol afro though, so my hair was nothing.

Also, holding babies while being the Easter Bunny was terrifying.
    So glad I had assistant so help me cause I couldn't see shit.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    when I was a baby, my older brother wanted to be all big and important, and wanted to hold the baby

so he did

turns out all he was after was the prestige, and didn't care for actually holding the baby, so he dropped me
    in such a way that I struck my head

I only learned this story comparatively recently, like four or five years ago, when a relative accidentally let it slip

0BnD8l3.gif
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I'd be ok with having a kid as long as I didn't know about it

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Babies are often pretty cute, though.

Now... toddlers. Oh my god. I want my children to go from, like, 1 1/2 years old to like 12 years old, please.

• kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote:
    Aphostile wrote:
    Fear: having to watch anyone else die again. Like, watch the light drain from their eyes. It's the worst thing I think I've ever experienced.

Oh God. This sucks. I know how much this sucks...
    My dad sat next to man he worked with who was sawed in half in a horrific lumber-mill accident, trying to comfort him as he died (not to mention all the crap he was exposed to in Vietnam). My brother had one of his closest friends die in his arms on the side of the road after a motorcycle accident and found our next door neighbor after her motorcycle accident (deer tried to jump over her and kicked her in the helmet - led to brain damage).

Somehow I've thus far managed to avoid actually witnessing the tragic, untimely death/catastrophic accident of someone I know.

Maybe it's a good thing I don't have a lot of friends in RL ... for their sake.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I am afraid of rabies, loss of my memory, and my own personal stagnation.

I do not like the ocean, and have a fearful respect of its power. It has tried to kill me twice now.

Rats, ants, and roaches make me very nauseous in a way that reminds me of fear.

I don't hold babies. The last time I held a baby I held it away from me, arms fully outstretched, "The baby is crying! What does it want!"

And then they took the baby away.

Somebody isn't going to be a mother.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Babies are not cute

Babies are ugly

Okay no, I guess that's not really true

NEWBORNS are not cute

Babies are okay

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    No children are ok.

I hate all children.

Nothing. Matters.
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Teenagers are worse

Trying to work at a school was the dumbest thing I ever did

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    I have never been able to distinguish babies by their looks.

"Doesn't he have his fathers eyes?"

No. He's a baby. They all look exactly the same. Stop being an asshole.

easysig2.jpg
  • SASA Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm afraid of being mentally or physically handicapped from some sort of accident. I'm just not strong enough to deal with that

SA on
    WoW: Revash (Cho'Gall)
    3DS: 5241-1953-7031
    you get used to it and move on.

easysig2.jpg
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote:
    Stale wrote:
    Veldrin wrote:
    I am terrified of the possibility of dropping newborns. I silently freak out whenever someone asks me if I'd like to hold their kid.

Mind you, I understand. I also faced this fear with my youngest brother/sister. Man, babies are so freaking fragile.

Still, out of pretty much all mammals, we take by far the longest to grow into some kind of form that can adequately defend itself.

no, you're right

we don't even have a regular skull for months

Shit sorry stale

I feel bad now

SA wrote: »
    Shit sorry stale

I feel bad now

why? you didn't do nothin

easysig2.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote:
    Babies are not cute

Babies are ugly

Okay no, I guess that's not really true

NEWBORNS are not cute

Babies are okay

When little baby first learns to smile it's just d'awwwwwwww

then they burp up lunch or they poop or start screaming and godamnit

Skull Man wrote:
    Larlar wrote:
    Stale wrote:
    Veldrin wrote:

no, you're right

we don't even have a regular skull for months

Upside, we eventually become the deadliest game

Stale wrote:
    SA wrote: »
    Shit sorry stale

I feel bad now

why? you didn't do nothin

I know, it's just kind of insensitive and can be taken the wrong way.

Actually, SA is the reason that you're a gimp, Stale

He's been keeping it to himself all these years

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Stale wrote:
    I have never been able to distinguish babies by their looks.

"Doesn't he have his fathers eyes?"

No. He's a baby. They all look exactly the same. Stop being an asshole.

Stale I wish you would write a book. I would buy it.

Sheri wrote:

I've been absorbing his life-force.

Is anyone afraid that one day the man-hacks from Half Life 2 will be a real thing? Because http://www.spacewar.com/reports/US_Army_to_fly_kamikaze_drones_999.html

SA wrote:
    Sheri wrote:

I've been absorbing his life-force.

Give it back you jerk

Sheri wrote:
    SA wrote:
    Sheri wrote: