As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but not over the lameness of countdowns

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    2016 can't come soon enough. After re-playing Mass Effect I love how Deus Ex implemented the hacking mini-game, I'm glad it's back. All the new skills look great, I'm already imagining the remote hacking possibilities.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Mini weapons! I love replica in-universe stuff.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    I like the pins.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Yeah I voted for the pins, mini weapons and the sign.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    GUN

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    SKULLGUN

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I wanna know what scale the miniweapons are... can I use them with my figures?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    So I've been working on a long overdue update to Biomod for the original Deus Ex and need some help testing it before releasing it to the general public. It's mostly fixes to some important longstanding issues, but there's also a few requested features and other improvements in there.

It's in need of testing, so I wouldn't recommend using this for your first playthrough, but if anyone was willing to give it a spin and let me know if they run into any issues I would really appreciate it.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    ORANGE

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    Want to play this game but I'm not going to encourage this pre-order nonsense. Will just buy it the day of.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    Yeah will just grab on Steam on release. Also we had a chance at getting unique CE stuff and instead we have a figure and artbook like everything else.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ehh...those comments never change. The whole "preorders are going to kill the game" thing was around when Human Revolution was taking preorders (and long before that, too). Personally, I'll preorder it, sure...provided either GMG gives a pretty decent discount on it (like they just did with Mad Max) or if there's a proper CE with some particularly impressive tchotchkes.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    oxblowoxblow Registered User regular
    It doesn't seem as awful as last time, where the equipment they put into the preorder packs weren't in the game at all unless you bought them (which just galls in a game about choice, no remote explosives or hacking tools? c'mon). These just seem to be reskins, and everyone will be able to get the extra mission.

• Options
    ZafinaZafina Registered User regular
    In the immortal words of Guybrush

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game"

I'll probably wait for the 'ultimate edition' to go on sale.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I preordered Human Revolution and that turned out to be a Very Good Game

So I'll probably preorder Mankind Divided, which will probably turn out to be a Very Good Game as well
    My only regret was preordering the Digital Deluxe version instead of a physical edition with actual physical swag to go with

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Site looks like it's getting hammered, but they got rid of the augmented preorder program. The incentive content will be made available both to those who preorder and those who purchase the Day 1 edition.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Site looks like it's getting hammered, but they got rid of the augmented preorder program. The incentive content will be made available both to those who preorder and those who purchase the Day 1 edition.

Sooner or later these Japanese publishers are going to understand that the industry is about 10 years ahead of them in the West. They may still have Japan by the balls in terms of pre-order fluff and DLC bullshit, but the West was fucking tired of that years ago, and will lash out like an angry badger at them for the attempt.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

Sooner or later these Japanese publishers are going to understand that the industry is about 10 years ahead of them in the West. They may still have Japan by the balls in terms of pre-order fluff and DLC bullshit, but the West was fucking tired of that years ago, and will lash out like an angry badger at them for the attempt.

Though it keeps on happening, even with western stuff. And if it's not random crap doled out by store, it's season passes. Deus Ex's sin was just going one step beyond the usual crapola.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular

I still do not understand how riled up people get over shit that they don't even use. The DLC on offer here seemed to be on the same level as the "Gimmick Weapon" silliness that came with DS2 - mildly useful weapons/shields that are outclassed within an hour or so of playing the game.

The developers tried to do something interesting with the DLC/Pre-Order scheme, including offering the game on the non-standard Friday release date - and the internet had an over-exaggerated tantrum as usual. So now you get weapons and character skins that don't matter, and lose out on playing the game over the weekend. Hurray?

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, I still don't get why so many people flip shit over DLC. I sometimes preorder from Best Buy just to get the occasional $10 rewards bonus, but I almost never redeem the pre-order DLC because it's not worth the time to enter the code. I often hear variations of "It's content that should have been in the base game." But it's usually content that might as well not exist at all. Nobody's experience is going to suffer because they didn't have some random weapon skin with marginally different stats.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The hard push to get people to purchase stuff that doesn't exist yet is absurd.

Breaking off content and putting it behind a sight-unseen paywall is pretty gross.

• Options
    At this point I think "Pre-order DLC" has become a sort of dog whistle for "internet consumer rights" folks who feel like they are sticking it to the man by moaning about the most pointless things ever. Which sucks because there are pre-order schemes (Evolve and Dark Knight) that deserve this kind of hate.

No one is confused at the point of pre-order bonuses, but at least some of these developers are trying to make it a not-one-sided arrangement. Of all the pre-order schemes, this really did seem like they tried to make something interesting and tied into the games theme, with a pretty major "final tier" rewarding consumers for buying in.

So of course it becomes a huge thing with Jim Sterling even dedicating a video to it (and not once saying WHY it's a bad thing other than "It's pointless. . ." - which kind of goes against his argument of not doing it).

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    It's bad because they're trying to bribe customers into putting money down on a sight-unseen product by withholding content. And they're playing into hype mentality to ramp up the pressure.

It's gross.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    It's bad because they're trying to bribe customers into putting money down on a sight-unseen product by withholding content. And they're playing into hype mentality to ramp up the pressure.

It's gross.

Especially in this era where more and more games ship incomplete or buggy, thanks to the complexity of development.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

It's gross.

Especially in this era where more and more games ship incomplete or buggy, thanks to the complexity of development.

I honestly didn't think I had to explain my point, so I'm glad you two picked up while I was commuting. The two games that have tried this pre-order tiered scheme to get more pre-orders is this game and the Steam version of Tales of Zestiria, both of which are wholly published by Japanese companies.

The reason why some of us are really pissed at this is half because it's getting so common, and half because there's a lot of you becoming OKAY with it. And that's depressing as fuck. There was a time not too long ago where pre-ordering didn't get you content that was blocked from normal retail copies or behind a paywall, but was just bonus swag because you liked the idea of the game so much. OST, art books, shiny metal cases... that's what pre-ordering used to give you. Persona 3 and 4 came with BOTH OST and art book for pre-ordering, CDProjektRed just throws swag at you for buying their games at all, yet somehow some gamers just got used to the idea that the EA/Activision/Squaresoft/NamcoBandai paywall/pre-order bullshit was just the new normal.

I hate that gamers are becoming complacent with their purchase being arbitrarily worth less than before.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

It's gross.

I honestly didn't think I had to explain my point, so I'm glad you two picked up while I was commuting. The two games that have tried this pre-order tiered scheme to get more pre-orders is this game and the Steam version of Tales of Zestiria, both of which are wholly published by Japanese companies.

The reason why some of us are really pissed at this is half because it's getting so common, and half because there's a lot of you becoming OKAY with it. And that's depressing as fuck. There was a time not too long ago where pre-ordering didn't get you content that was blocked from normal retail copies or behind a paywall, but was just bonus swag because you liked the idea of the game so much. OST, art books, shiny metal cases... that's what pre-ordering used to give you. Persona 3 and 4 came with BOTH OST and art book for pre-ordering, CDProjektRed just throws swag at you for buying their games at all, yet somehow some gamers just got used to the idea that the EA/Activision/Squaresoft/NamcoBandai paywall/pre-order bullshit was just the new normal.

I hate that gamers are becoming complacent with their purchase being arbitrarily worth less than before.

I've mostly tuned out superfluous DLC stuff, but chiming in because I think this is the real issue here. If these extra bells and whistles were paired with games that were generally being launched as complete packages, with minimal launch hassle or day zero patching, I doubt many would bat an eye at this. Hell, I've nothing against DLC in principle, and if I like the game and plan on buying it anyway, I'll spring for the extras on a selective basis.

But it's increasingly seen, not without justification, as attempts to trick the player into buying before actual reviews come out that may expose gaping, jagged holes in the final product. There's been no shortage of recent examples, but it doesn't even have to be technical problems. I keep going back to Watch Dogs with its insane selection of add-ons, which (to paraphrase Chris Remo of Idle Thumbs) was the poster child of "'promises to be something different,' cut to 'is more of the same than you can imagine.'" Preorder thresholds just feel like an especially dirty trick, even if the company's on the up-and-up.

Looking back to Human Revolution is instructional. Yes, that game had its own selection of preorder chaff, but people were impressed by actual gameplay demonstrations, and even the beta leak generated unusually positive buzz for the full product. Not to speak for all fans everywhere, but if Eidos can show off some game footage and it looks good, I think a lot of this will be water under the bridge. Right now we're short on that information, so we're reacting to what we do have; we've seen this part of the movie before, and some of the audience is wondering which way this is gonna go.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Don't most pre-order versions match the retail editions in terms of content? As in, if you purchase the game from Wal-Mart or do a pre-order it is the same content? It was like that for MKX, Arkham Knight, Shadows of Morder, Dragonball Xenoverse, etc. So you could wait for the reviews, and if they are good, swing by Best Buy or something and pick it up.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

I paid something like $70 for a couple N64 games back in the day, which, per the BLS, is worth ~$106 today. Meanwhile, I bought Tomb Raider 2013—which also had a tiered preorder scheme on Steam—for $25 a week before it released.

Some trivial one-off missions or faff DLC to try and move preorders doesn't really get my blood up.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options

It's gross.

They "withheld" a character skin and a "mission". There's "content" and then there's content. Your single player experience would have been less than 1% different than someone who had decided to pre-order.

There are pre-order schemes that are completely dishonest and only exist to lock in pre-release cash; and then there was this pre-order scheme with "content" that was completely benign to the overall video game experience (along with the ability to get the game early) and there as a "Hey if you help us out here's some bullshit swag for it. . ."

When they start gating significant content behind NON REFUNDABLE pre-orders, then we can start talking about crossing the Rubicon.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    90% of all DLC is terrible anyway, and 100% of pre-order DLC is terrible. Just get the game when you want to and stop fucking worrying you won't get that extra gun that will be obsolete after an hour, or that extra mission that's only 10 minutes long and is also garbage.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular

It's gross.

Actually, this is not a new thing on Steam and a lot of other games have done tiered pre-purchase bonuses including Bioshock Infinite, GTA5, XCOM and a bunch of others.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    90% of all DLC is terrible anyway, and 100% of pre-order DLC is terrible. Just get the game when you want to and stop fucking worrying you won't get that extra gun that will be obsolete after an hour, or that extra mission that's only 10 minutes long and is also garbage.

Exactly. People act like these things are the equivalent of taking Super Mario Bros. 1 and putting all of World 7 behind a separate pay-wall, but it's more like adding a special power up that makes your fireballs green instead of red.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Exactly. People act like these things are the equivalent of taking Super Mario Bros. 1 and putting all of World 7 behind a separate pay-wall, but it's more like adding a special power up that makes your fireballs green instead of red.

Except there is DLC that's putting like... interesting game-content behind pay walls. EA's DLC for example.

(Then again, really, EA also has books and puts plot-content in those too, and is that a "pay-wall"? Are those DLC? I dunno.)

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Except there is DLC that's putting like... interesting game-content behind pay walls. EA's DLC for example.

(Then again, really, EA also has books and puts plot-content in those too, and is that a "pay-wall"? Are those DLC? I dunno.)

In a non-snarky way, like what? I can't think of any EA games lately that have put needed game mechanics or plot behind dlc.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »

In a non-snarky way, like what? I can't think of any EA games lately that have put needed game mechanics or plot behind dlc.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that this is a reference to the From Ashes DLC for Mass Effect 3...which isn't a pre-order incentive, but a N7CE/DDE inclusion.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

Well.. what's "needed" game mechanics or plot? I mean, SMB1 without World 7 is... still... like, there'd be no drastic game experience missing, other than the game being 1/8th shorter. I'd argue that people would miss some Mass Effect/Dragon Age DLC more, like Citadel and Trespasser for post-game DLC conclusion, but also Lair of the Shadow Broker, Arrival, Legacy, and Witch Hunt for plot that's explicitly referenced in their sequel games. I think I'd rather miss SMB1 World 7 than Legacy.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    That type of dlc is a-ok. Anything that's a significant chunck of content like that is like an expansion pack. It's not cut content sold to you, it's content that exists because it can generate more revenue. That content wouldn't be in the game otherwise.

So complaining about that is silly. Complaining about exclusive preorder dlc is silly as well, however I think there definitely is a large case against the moves publishers have made to encourage preorder culture. The disappearance of demos, the ever more complex retailer exclusives, and this kind of preorder mimicking crowd funding. It's stupid. It makes buying games a risk considering the inability to try anything anymore before purchase or preorder.

I want a demo or beta of a game without preordering it. I want to know if the game is for me. And so many games just don't do that anymore. And then they come out busted.

That's the real bullshit. A few extra guns or a mission for preordering? Eh, not a big deal.

No I don't.
This discussion has been closed.